As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Andrew Scheer's greatest achievements list is up on the Beaverton; it's exactly what you think it is.

I thought the list was unfair. Scheer has lots of accomplishments:
    • Implementing an original and ingenious plan to save money on private school tuition costs.
    • Drinking the most glasses of milk on the campaign trail of any party leader in Canadian history.
    • Reminding Canadians everywhere that the fight for abortion rights and women rights in Canada is far, far from over.
    • Defeating Maxime Bernier twice.
    And most importantly:
    • Protecting Canadians from the horrors of an Andrew Scheer government.

You forgot one of his great accomplishments: managing to defraud the party for a bunch of money for said tuition while still not getting kicked out of his leadership position.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Andrew Scheer's greatest achievements list is up on the Beaverton; it's exactly what you think it is.

I thought the list was unfair. Scheer has lots of accomplishments:
    • Implementing an original and ingenious plan to save money on private school tuition costs.
    • Drinking the most glasses of milk on the campaign trail of any party leader in Canadian history.
    • Reminding Canadians everywhere that the fight for abortion rights and women rights in Canada is far, far from over.
    • Defeating Maxime Bernier twice.
    And most importantly:
    • Protecting Canadians from the horrors of an Andrew Scheer government.

I found the part where he shared a stage with Faith Goldie and others fairly enlightening as well. I would take it that falls under your last bullet point.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    So bill Morneau is the WE scandal sacrificial lamb it seems. I'm surprised there's an actual resignation
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-justin-trudeau-decision-1.5689890

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    so who's the next finance minister?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The right honorable Don Incognito (Liberal MP for the RM of Springfield MB), who curiously looks a lot like Bill Morneau, except with a Snidely Whiplash mustache.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Our finance minister quitting mid pandemic after accumulating the biggest deficit in Canadian history to go and run for a top world banking position is peak Liberal party

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Our finance minister quitting mid pandemic after accumulating the biggest deficit in Canadian history to go and run for a top world banking position is peak Liberal party
    Not going to defend the whole mess, but it does seem there was a strong disagreement about how to deal with the pandemic effect on the budget, and how important it was to cut services ASAP.
    Also, head of the OECD is not exactly a promotion, in this case.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Not going to defend the whole mess, but it does seem there was a strong disagreement about how to deal with the pandemic effect on the budget, and how important it was to cut services ASAP.

Its terrible optics is what I'm saying. If we were a big company our stock price would have tanked.

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

Freeland per CBC. Additionally LPC is to prorogue Parliament (next month?).

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

Its terrible optics is what I'm saying. If we were a big company our stock price would have tanked.

Good thing country finances aren't like company finances.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »

Freeland per CBC. Additionally LPC is to prorogue Parliament (next month?).

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I really want Freeland to be the next PM (and soon). Finance is certainly a step up for her, I'd say it's the biggest position in cabinet next to being the PM, so the increased visibility and portfolio importance are good... normally. But taking over Finance now, in the middle of a global economic crunch and the biggest deficit spending in national history, with a second wave hitting in a matter of months, under a PM who doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word "restraint", is guaranteed to leave a lot of voters upset at her for reasons that are completely out of her control. And that's not good for a politician.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    It does sound like Freeland is getting dealt a bit of a shit sandwich here. I'm hoping she pulls through and continues to prove herself competent. I feel the same way you do Richy - I'd like her to be PM.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Our ability to receive and loan money is essentially tied to our credit rating.... So in a way we are.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

Our ability to receive and loan money is essentially tied to our credit rating.... So in a way we are.

To be fair, most of the way sovereign debt ratings are calculated isn't derived from external debt.
    Other factors include per capita income, GDP growth, inflation, history of default and level of economic development.

Deficit spending may also incorporate internal debt. Deficits are not inherently a bad thing nationally, if they're being used to drive growth, as long as the projected growth outpaces the growth of debt.

• Options

Ah, more evidence of crime sky-rocketing under a Liberal government! We need the Cons in power to put an end to threats by these violent alt-right and neo-nazi groups against government ministers! /s

sig.gif
  • Options
    Another interesting piece: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/18/canada-justin-trudeau-bill-morneau-covid-19-green-recovery
    Over his five-year tenure, Morneau was seen by many Canadians as taking a conservative approach to spending on environment – and more recently, on Covid relief. Trudeau, in contrast, made environmental promises a centerpiece of last year’s re-election campaign. It was inevitable that the two would eventually arrive at an impasse.

Now, Trudeau’s right-hand woman Chrystia Freeland will take over the finance portfolio in addition to her role as deputy prime minister. As one of the key architects of the new Nafta agreement, Freeland has experience marrying economic objectives to broader social and environmental goals, making her better-positioned to carry out Trudeau’s environmental promises.

[...]

“When you have politicians in three or four provinces that are just emerging from climate denialism, and a system of federation where the provinces at the end of the day have almost full responsibility for environmental, resource and energy decisions, it creates a virtually unmanageable country,” he said. “That’s a bigger challenge than Morneau and finance.”

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Ah, a prorogue of parliament during a global crisis, what fun!

• Options

A summer prorogue is not abnormal. If anything, this year it seems to come late and be a shorter one. It's not like the government was days away from losing a non-confidence vote and did it as a desperate measure to survive while using the MSM to proclaim that the democratically-elected opposition parties voting against them was tantamount to an undemocratic coup.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    And the executive has enough powers to handle the crisis by itself

• Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

It is far more tied to our ability to tax, print money, and change laws. So, in a much more real sense, we aren't.

• Options

A summer prorogue is not abnormal. If anything, this year it seems to come late and be a shorter one. It's not like the government was days away from losing a non-confidence vote and did it as a desperate measure to survive while using the MSM to proclaim that the democratically-elected opposition parties voting against them was tantamount to an undemocratic coup.

It is not abnormal, but Trudeau was very vocal on not using the prorogue for politics, and to have a 5 week prorogue during a domestic crisis, which is double the average prorogation length (22 days, 1980-2010), does not seem right to me.

The argument can be made that it is essential time to reshuffle the cabinet, prepare sweeping legislation (all rumours point to it), and to effectively build a cabinet prepared for the COVID-19 Pandemic through to 2022.

But to have such a long prorogation in the wake of yet another massive scandal, halting committee investigations? And for some of those cabinet shuffles tied to said scandals?

It's legal, but strikes me as shitty, and corrupt. Hopefully, much like in 2002 with Chretien's prorogue to halt ad scandal investigations, the opposition will revive committees and continue their work.

In other news, O'Toole and McKay being neck-and-neck is fun to watch. I want McKay to beat O'Toole because while they're both bad people, at least McKay isn't a social conservative. That they're so close, and that O'Toole has the popular vote in the leadership race, should be the part that causes pause for fellow Canadians.

Boomers are still alive, voting, and ruining the country as per usual.

• Options

It is not abnormal, but Trudeau was very vocal on not using the prorogue for politics, and to have a 5 week prorogue during a domestic crisis, which is double the average prorogation length (22 days, 1980-2010), does not seem right to me.

The argument can be made that it is essential time to reshuffle the cabinet, prepare sweeping legislation (all rumours point to it), and to effectively build a cabinet prepared for the COVID-19 Pandemic through to 2022.

But to have such a long prorogation in the wake of yet another massive scandal, halting committee investigations? And for some of those cabinet shuffles tied to said scandals?

It's legal, but strikes me as shitty, and corrupt. Hopefully, much like in 2002 with Chretien's prorogue to halt ad scandal investigations, the opposition will revive committees and continue their work.

In other news, O'Toole and McKay being neck-and-neck is fun to watch. I want McKay to beat O'Toole because while they're both bad people, at least McKay isn't a social conservative. That they're so close, and that O'Toole has the popular vote in the leadership race, should be the part that causes pause for fellow Canadians.

You mean the sponsorship scandal where the government lost a few $100k and resulted in Harper taking power and causing 10 years of untold social, economic, and environmental devastation on our country? Yeah that's not an example I'd be happy to see repeated in my lifetime.

McKay is not a social conservative. He's just willing and eager to sell out to social conservatives and implement their policies wholesale in exchange for electoral success and power. How that's in any way better is beyond me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    A 5 week prorogue is 35 days, which is about 50% longer than the average of 22, not double it.

Speaking of, was the rest of parliament able to meet through teleconference or did the CPC succeed in forcing physical attendance?

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    A 5 week prorogue is 35 days, which is about 50% longer than the average of 22, not double it.

Speaking of, was the rest of parliament able to meet through teleconference or did the CPC succeed in forcing physical attendance?

And let's be clear here.... He's also stopping the committees that are investigating the WE sponsorship by doing this. If this was a conservative government doing the same thing we would be up in arms but I guess since it's "our" side it's ok?

I don't feel comfortable with the PM having the ability to set the terms in this way.

• Options
    ShadowBladeShadowBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So, our CERB is done. We got our last payment at the beginning of this month. The revised program was not announced. My job hunt has yet to yield fruit and our business is still shut down. (Indoor Playground, yes know we CAN open. We're not.) What the hell are we and anyone like us supposed to do now?

EDIT
    To be clear, we've got some reserves so were not in immediate danger, but if our situation does not change, we will be soon. Not to mention the countless worse off than we are.

ShadowBlade on
    This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • Options
    So, our CERB is done. We got our last payment at the beginning of this month. The revised program was not announced. My job hunt has yet to yield fruit and our business is still shut down. (Indoor Playground, yes know we CAN open. We're not.) What the hell are we and anyone like us supposed to do now?

That's incredibly shitty. Good for you guys on keeping that closed I can't envision a way to run that safely.

I'm terrified of what the job market is going to look like once the business subsidies run out... Lot's of places are running on fumes and a prayer.

• Options

That's incredibly shitty. Good for you guys on keeping that closed I can't envision a way to run that safely.

I'm terrified of what the job market is going to look like once the business subsidies run out... Lot's of places are running on fumes and a prayer.

I appreciate that man. No matter what comes next, we are not going to endanger kids in this environment. Not others and we have a 10yo and a 5yo and, frankly, ourselves to consider too.

This world needs a new philosophy. No more, "Could be worse..." I say SHOULD BE BETTER!
  • Options

You mean the sponsorship scandal where the government lost a few $100k and resulted in Harper taking power and causing 10 years of untold social, economic, and environmental devastation on our country? Yeah that's not an example I'd be happy to see repeated in my lifetime.

McKay is not a social conservative. He's just willing and eager to sell out to social conservatives and implement their policies wholesale in exchange for electoral success and power. How that's in any way better is beyond me.

I hold my elected officials to a high standard. I do not believe there is any room for an argument that the Liberals should not be investigated for corruption because the way worse guys will get in power. That logic only begets further corruption.

I want my government to be investigated when it commits corrupt, illegal, or unethical acts. $40,000 bribes to a Finance Minister, a Prime Minister changing his story constantly, or millions in advertising money allocated without proper bidding ALL should be investigated.

Ending your parliamentary mandate during a corruption investigation will never look good. And doing so despite running on electoral reform, transparent parliamentary process, a beefed up PBO, and NOT politicizing the prorogue is sheer hypocrisy.

Further, while the scandal rightfully damaged the Liberals, they'd been in power for 12 years. Given Canadian demographics, a Conservative government coming to power was a when, not an if.

• Options

I hold my elected officials to a high standard. I do not believe there is any room for an argument that the Liberals should not be investigated for corruption because the way worse guys will get in power. That logic only begets further corruption.

I want my government to be investigated when it commits corrupt, illegal, or unethical acts. $40,000 bribes to a Finance Minister, a Prime Minister changing his story constantly, or millions in advertising money allocated without proper bidding ALL should be investigated.

Ending your parliamentary mandate during a corruption investigation will never look good. And doing so despite running on electoral reform, transparent parliamentary process, a beefed up PBO, and NOT politicizing the prorogue is sheer hypocrisy.

Further, while the scandal rightfully damaged the Liberals, they'd been in power for 12 years. Given Canadian demographics, a Conservative government coming to power was a when, not an if.

I never said they should not be investigated. But allowing the Cons to turn the investigation into a circus and a witch-hunt to sink the Liberals over a minor fault (not divulging conflicts of interests) in the name of justice and opening the door to actual criminals who hate Canada and Canadians with a burning passion to take power is pure irresponsible insanity. It's kicking out your decent roommate to punish him because he once put his shoes on the couch, and giving his room to a serial murderer who's moving in with his knife collection and keys to every bedroom in the house.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ah. I see we have re-arrived at the strategic voting / moral high-ground divide. How inevitable.

• Options

I never said they should not be investigated. But allowing the Cons to turn the investigation into a circus and a witch-hunt to sink the Liberals over a minor fault (not divulging conflicts of interests) in the name of justice and opening the door to actual criminals who hate Canada and Canadians with a burning passion to take power is pure irresponsible insanity. It's kicking out your decent roommate to punish him because he once put his shoes on the couch, and giving his room to a serial murderer who's moving in with his knife collection and keys to every bedroom in the house.

So what's your plan then?

Never investigate the sitting party?

Because I see you shooting down everyone that suggest's that maybe, just maybe, the liberals always get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Sometimes it's the whole hand, sometimes just a few knuckles deep or even the fingertips but they 100% always grift. This is not new it was the same since I've been alive.

If they stopped doing this that would solve the problem.

The conservatives are the official opposition and honestly, they are doing what I want then opposition to do. They aren't getting much traction on the WE thing because in the grand scheme it's a molehill not a mountain but it is one more time the liberals and Trudeau specifically skirting ethics and grifting in some form.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

I appreciate that man. No matter what comes next, we are not going to endanger kids in this environment. Not others and we have a 10yo and a 5yo and, frankly, ourselves to consider too.

Good on you. My little one loves the indoor playground near us and my wife and I are 1) So sorry that these business are in such trouble... because 2) There's no way we're sending our kids to a germ factory like an indoor playground.

So, I'm sorry for my part in your industry's troubles and I'm a little relieved to see a proprietor have your attitude. I feel slightly less shitty about it.

• Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Good on you. My little one loves the indoor playground near us and my wife and I are 1) So sorry that these business are in such trouble... because 2) There's no way we're sending our kids to a germ factory like an indoor playground.

So, I'm sorry for my part in your industry's troubles and I'm a little relieved to see a proprietor have your attitude. I feel slightly less shitty about it.

Do NOT feel bad about that. Our indoor playground was LITERALLY world renowned for its cleanliness and we ran a crazy tight ship on outside food and maintenance and hygiene and if there was an identical indoor playground with clones of us running it, we'd still not bring our own kids to one right now. No way. No how.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Because I see you shooting down everyone that suggest's that maybe, just maybe, the liberals always get caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Sometimes it's the whole hand, sometimes just a few knuckles deep or even the fingertips but they 100% always grift. This is not new it was the same since I've been alive.

The conservatives are the official opposition and honestly, they are doing what I want then opposition to do. They aren't getting much traction on the WE thing because in the grand scheme it's a molehill not a mountain but it is one more time the liberals and Trudeau specifically skirting ethics and grifting in some form.

Non-partisan investigations are my suggestion, not parliamentary circuses that benefit the CPC. And dissolving the conservative stranglehold on news media so our news agencies report the actual scale of the crime and investigation results and not Con propaganda with barely any relation to reality.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options

Non-partisan investigations are my suggestion, not parliamentary circuses that benefit the CPC. And dissolving the conservative stranglehold on news media so our news agencies report the actual scale of the crime and investigation results and not Con propaganda with barely any relation to reality.

I would also like a PM that stops making these investigations necessary.

The cons are certainly playing stuff up but every time it's also something the PM should not have done full stop.

seems like the solution of "Don't grift" would be easier than a total shift of the media landscape and party politics but it is the LPC we are talking about so maybe not...

And we talk about the CPC but the bloc is also as off the rails with craziness when it comes to making a big deal about literally anything.

• Options

I would also like a PM that stops making these investigations necessary.

The cons are certainly playing stuff up but every time it's also something the PM should not have done full stop.

seems like the solution of "Don't grift" would be easier than a total shift of the media landscape and party politics but it is the LPC we are talking about so maybe not...

And we talk about the CPC but the bloc is also as off the rails with craziness when it comes to making a big deal about literally anything.

I would like that too, but since we haven't had a PM like that in Canadian history, I'm not holding my breath.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The Liberals ended parliament literally in the middle of a major investigation into their corruption. You are downplaying this as a minor fault, when it is major, given the amount of money that was flowing around. A lot more money than the Sponsorship Scandal where, as you put it, '... the government lost a few $100k...'

The resulting Gomery Report actually cost WAY more because doing things above board and with justice and truth in mind IS FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

You want us to get rid of the pursuit of truth in our elected officials who handle billions of dollars and literally every aspect of our lives because it would be ' ...opening the door to actual criminals who hate Canada and Canadians with a burning passion to take power...'

That's a hot-take, and shows we're not having a debate and/or discourse about anywhere close to the same thing.

edit: to be polite

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

The Liberals ended parliament literally in the middle of a major investigation into their corruption. You are downplaying this as a minor fault, when it is major, given the amount of money that was flowing around. A lot more money than the Sponsorship Scandal where, as you put it, '... the government lost a few $100k...'

The resulting Gomery Report actually cost WAY more because doing things above board and with justice and truth in mind IS FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

You want us to get rid of the pursuit of truth in our elected officials who handle billions of dollars and literally every aspect of our lives because it would be ' ...opening the door to actual criminals who hate Canada and Canadians with a burning passion to take power...'

That's a hot-take, and shows we're not having a debate and/or discourse about anywhere close to the same thing.

edit: to be polite

That's not a hot-take. Have we forgotten the Harper years already? The Ford government in Ontario? Just ... Alberta?

I know the voting public as a whole can't remember shit after like 6 months but I think we can do better.

I don't think the Liberals are really that good by some independent measure, but comparatively it's not even a competition.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's not so much letting the Liberals getting away with everything, it's more keeping things in perspective and looking at the magnitude of Liberal scandals vs Conservative scandals.
    The news magnify to a crazy degree the Liberal's, while minimizing the Conservative's.

It would be less of a problem if Ontario finally got over its NDP-phobia.

This discussion has been closed.