As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Quite a few of the larger towns and cities across Canada have significant First Nations' populations/reserves, and they make up 1/20th of the Canadian population, so their presence is not insignificant.

However, we do not often think of First Nation people and the absolute shit hand of cards that this racist country has dealt them. But when people do think about First Nation people, it is often in a racist and disparaging way, not dissimilar to the historical treatment of black people in the United States. In some unique ways worse.

At least in Ontario, the deeper north you go, the equivalent to the deeper south you go in the United States, if you take my meaning. Go to a Thunder Bay, North Bay, Soo, Sudbury, etc, and the the 'drunk lazy native' rhetoric is alarmingly high.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Considering how the BC government continually fucked over the Wekweeti, I am amazed at how long so many of the nations try to work within the system. I suppose the willingness of the RCMP to violate their rights leaves them little room, but the crowds of people threatening to trash their boats and kick the shit out of them need to be dispersed. Treat those protests like the ones at the G7.

But I guess I already know why that doesn't happen.

Mainly because the average Canadian does not care.

We've essentially been in the same holding position with the various bands all over the country for decades and nothing is going to change.

The average Canadian isn't indifferent to First Nations issues, they're actively hostile to them.

I wouldn't really agree. I'd say the average Canadian spends 0% of their daily lives thinking about anything to do with First Nations. Because most Canadians live in places where native issues are practically irrelevant to their daily lives. They might notice occasionally when they block a railroad or road or something but that lasts only so long as the blockage does and only in the sense that it's directly effecting their lives.

Not exactly true.

In my personal experience with living in both Montreal and Calgary native issues are fairly common as both have large reserves very nearby.

Can't speak to Calgary.

Living in Montreal I don't recall hearing almost anything day to day. And when it did it was like this vague idea that some First Nations group supposedly was in charge of maintenance on one of the bridges. In that it was a thing I heard people say but that I could never really verify as being true.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Considering how the BC government continually fucked over the Wekweeti, I am amazed at how long so many of the nations try to work within the system. I suppose the willingness of the RCMP to violate their rights leaves them little room, but the crowds of people threatening to trash their boats and kick the shit out of them need to be dispersed. Treat those protests like the ones at the G7.

We've essentially been in the same holding position with the various bands all over the country for decades and nothing is going to change.

The average Canadian isn't indifferent to First Nations issues, they're actively hostile to them.

I wouldn't really agree. I'd say the average Canadian spends 0% of their daily lives thinking about anything to do with First Nations. Because most Canadians live in places where native issues are practically irrelevant to their daily lives. They might notice occasionally when they block a railroad or road or something but that lasts only so long as the blockage does and only in the sense that it's directly effecting their lives.

Not exactly true.

In my personal experience with living in both Montreal and Calgary native issues are fairly common as both have large reserves very nearby.

Can't speak to Calgary.

Living in Montreal I don't recall hearing almost anything day to day. And when it did it was like this vague idea that some First Nations group supposedly was in charge of maintenance on one of the bridges. In that it was a thing I heard people say but that I could never really verify as being true.

You may have had a different experience than I did. I was also there during OKA with the following years being extremely toxic.

I lived right by the bridge that went right into a reserve as well and that may have had a lot to do with it.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

You may have had a different experience than I did. I was also there during OKA with the following years being extremely toxic.

I lived right by the bridge that went right into a reserve as well and that may have had a lot to do with it.

Yo story time, what was that like?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

As far as I know, the Mohawks are not in charge of any bridges. They only live next to them. And basically only make the news the very uncommon times they block one in protest.
    Other than that and the procurement of tax free cigarettes, they are not really part of the city's mental space.

And that's after we added a fifth symbols to the flag, to represent the First Nations of Montréal. There's some activism, in favour of removing some things ("Amherst" was replaced by the less genocidal "Atateken", and statues of Macdonald tend to have accidents,) but other than that, it's mostly indifference.

• Options

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

I was 10 at the time but my uncle was an SQ officer so it was talked about all the time. Tensions were really high and the average Montrealer was pissed. Absolutely no sympathy for the other side by people or the media.

• Options

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

I was 10 at the time but my uncle was an SQ officer so it was talked about all the time. Tensions were really high and the average Montrealer was pissed. Absolutely no sympathy for the other side by people or the media.
    That was then. This is now. Things are back to the background level of "who cares". Have been for decades, at this point.

• Options
    mrondeau wrote: »

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

That was then. This is now. Things are back to the background level of "who cares". Have been for decades, at this point.

Not arguing with you here. I've been gone from there for 15 years and hope things have changed at this point.

Still the most racist place I have lived and that's saying a lot.

• Options
    There was a really promising wellspring of support and energy with Idle No More in the early 2010s, and the energy/presence in Ottawa in those days was felt.

But yeah the zeitgeist is apathy at the moment. Which, given the level of collective societal shame most people would not address, is the status quo.

• Options

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

Not arguing with you here. I've been gone from there for 15 years and hope things have changed at this point.

No offence, but that last one might say more about the people that were around you than Montréal itself.

• Options

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

No offence, but that last one might say more about the people that were around you than Montréal itself.

Just checking.... Still illegal to wear a Kippah to work in QC?

Also, french Quebec tv was insanely racist in the 90's. Remember la petite vie? Because I sure do.

• Options
    French educational shows for elementary kids in Ontario were always a little racist and now I am connecting dots.

• Options

Not exactly true.

Can't speak to Calgary.

Just checking.... Still illegal to wear a Kippah to work in QC?

Also, french Quebec tv was insanely racist in the 90's. Remember la petite vie? Because I sure do.
    First, Montréal oppose that law. Including the city government.
    Second, I also remember English-language tv from the '90s. La Petite Vie was tame.

• Options
    I love my racism tame.

• Options
    I love my racism tame.
    I prefer it non-existent, personally. That was not a defence of a really, really cringeworthy show, that was a condemnation of the '90s.
    It's not just the racism, there's also the sexism and homophobia.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I love my racism tame.

I mean, They only used the french derogatory term for black people every OTHER episodes.

See? Only a bit racist /s

@mrondeau So it's still illegal to wear one is what you are saying, yeah?

La petite vie was the most-watched show in QC for a decade. So let's not pretend that does not mean anything.

Disco11 on
  • Options
    I love my racism tame.

I mean, They only used the french derogatory term for black people every OTHER episodes.

See? Only a bit racist /s

mrondeau So it's still illegal to wear one is what you are saying, yeah?
    First, don't hat me please, I really hate notifications.
    Second, yes, the law that was imposed on Montréal by an external government that was not elected by Montréal is still on the book, despite being opposed by Montréal and the municipal government refusing to enforce it.

• Options
    It's safe to say there's a lot of racist bullshit in literally every Canadian province. And they're all fun and unique in their own way!

• Options
    It's safe to say there's a lot of racist bullshit in literally every Canadian province. And they're all fun and unique in their own way!

Oh for sure.

AB has its issues and some of the people here are just horrible. Weirdly though a lot of governmental regulation especially when it comes to schools, has found strange bedfellows. The Christina right is big on religious education or homeschooling and that appeals to certain immigrant groups.

• Options
  • Options

Oh for sure.

AB has its issues and some of the people here are just horrible. Weirdly though a lot of governmental regulation especially when it comes to schools, has found strange bedfellows. The Christina right is big on religious education or homeschooling and that appeals to certain immigrant groups.

Yes. If it's not clear, I don't object to the notion of racism being present in Montréal. I object to the notion of it being worse in Montréal than in other cities, because my current experience and the stats don't support that.
    Also, because that's the kind of thinking that's used to deflect from local problems. For example, deflecting from police brutality and racism in Montréal by pretending that it's an US problem. It's not.
    We all suck on those questions. The only difference is how the suckitude manifest itself. For example, in Montréal, First Nations issues are ignored. This means that things like homelessness, inequality of opportunities, etc. are not addressed.
    And since, basically, the only time people think about First Nations is when there's an active conflict, well, any actual action is not exactly positive.
    By contrast, Oka is actively opposed to Kanesatake, including in ways that don't make much sense. In practice, Montréal is not much better, but the problems are different and have different solutions.

• Options

Oh for sure.

Yes. If it's not clear, I don't object to the notion of racism being present in Montréal. I object to the notion of it being worse in Montréal than in other cities, because my current experience and the stats don't support that.
    Also, because that's the kind of thinking that's used to deflect from local problems. For example, deflecting from police brutality and racism in Montréal by pretending that it's an US problem. It's not.
    We all suck on those questions. The only difference is how the suckitude manifest itself. For example, in Montréal, First Nations issues are ignored. This means that things like homelessness, inequality of opportunities, etc. are not addressed.
    And since, basically, the only time people think about First Nations is when there's an active conflict, well, any actual action is not exactly positive.
    By contrast, Oka is actively opposed to Kanesatake, including in ways that don't make much sense. In practice, Montréal is not much better, but the problems are different and have different solutions.

I've said it before but the fact that QC has literally codified racism (and the only province to do so) with its stupid religious laws really does not support your point at all. You are the only province where I could not work as a teacher wearing a turban, Kippah, hijab etc etc etc... I'm sure it's pure coincidence that it essentially only affects traditionally non-white communities.

A few years prior and a totally different government tried to pass a "Values" charter that was 100% targeted to immigrants.

QC has built-in xenophobia with the language situation and IMO that has not been a positive vis a vis racism.

• Options

Oh for sure.

I've said it before but the fact that QC has literally codified racism (and the only province to do so) with its stupid religious laws really does not support your point at all. You are the only province where I could not work as a teacher wearing a turban, Kippah, hijab etc etc etc... I'm sure it's pure coincidence that it essentially only affects traditionally non-white communities.

A few years prior and a totally different government tried to pass a "Values" charter that was 100% targeted to immigrants.

QC has built-in xenophobia with the language situation and IMO that has not been a positive vis a vis racism.

Ok, I see the problem. Montréal is not Québec. All the stuff you mentioned was and is opposed by Montréal.
    Also, a lot of that had support in the RoC before it was pushed in Québec. Then support dropped. Kinda like support for Trumpish policies dropped once Trump took power.
    And even then, there's a reason it targets religious symbols. There's a strong anti-religion sentiment in Québec, and racists are exploiting it as cover.

One big manifestation of prejudice is the amplification of faults in the out-group and the minimization of faults in the in-group.
    That's how some Quebeckers convince themselves they are more socialist than the RoC while voting for tax and service cuts, for example.
    (Seriously, look at Québec Solidaire. They truly think an independent Québec would go left, while the provincial government is to the right of the federal government...)

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, shit is getting real here in Ontario as well. > +400/day for 3/4 of the last 4 days. https://russell-pollari.github.io/ontario-covid19/

Our curve looks just like it did back in April before we locked everything down for months, and bars, restaurants, and school are all still open. Even if we shut everything down today -- which for some fucking reason, it doesn't look like we are going to -- it's still got two weeks to climb before it plateaus.

People are going to die that really don't have to.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Oh for sure.

Ok, I see the problem. Montréal is not Québec. All the stuff you mentioned was and is opposed by Montréal.
    Also, a lot of that had support in the RoC before it was pushed in Québec. Then support dropped. Kinda like support for Trumpish policies dropped once Trump took power.
    And even then, there's a reason it targets religious symbols. There's a strong anti-religion sentiment in Québec, and racists are exploiting it as cover.

One big manifestation of prejudice is the amplification of faults in the out-group and the minimization of faults in the in-group.
    That's how some Quebeckers convince themselves they are more socialist than the RoC while voting for tax and service cuts, for example.
    (Seriously, look at Québec Solidaire. They truly think an independent Québec would go left, while the provincial government is to the right of the federal government...)

That's not really a fair assessment IMO.

My take is that, Québec's been a two-party province along the sovereignist/federalist lines, and voting Parti Québécois or Liberal accordingly, for the past two generations. People didn't actually care whether the parties were left or right. Federalists voted for the Liberals whether their leader was in favour of massive government projects like Bourassa or a massive-deficit former PC leader like Charest or an austerity-measures guy like Couillard. Sovereignists voted PQ whether their leader was nationalizing enterprises like Parizeau or an anti-union private businessman like Péladeau or a former PC like Bouchard. That went on for almost 50 years, and people were increasingly fed up with it. In 2018 they voted the CAQ in to break out of the old pattern. They didn't vote to be more right wing, they voted to not have the Liberals or PQ in power anymore. For context, Québec Solidaire also made historic gains that election -- though obviously they fell far short of the CAQ, but again I don't think it's a left-right thing so much as having sovereignty as their #1 goal and having public leaders the MSM loves to mock mercilessly and unfairly.

Or, seen differently, Québec votes farther to the left than the ROC in Federal politics. Québec is the home of the Orange Wave, the province with the lowest voter rate for the CPC, and the Bloc Québécois has a decidedly left-wing platform.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Left - Right really does not paint any sort of comprehensive picture.

QC can be super socialist on many things while being right-wing on others.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    And here we go again with another pandemic election, hopefully we fair better than NB did

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-election-1.5732601

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN I'm super pissed with this BC election situation. god dammit.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I don't think Horgan is gonna be getting the outcome he wants on this one.

• Options
    AnalogWarlordAnalogWarlord Registered User regular
    There was a BLM protest yesterday, here in Red Deer. Wexiters and other white supremacists showed up and started throwing punches within minutes.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Oh for sure.

That's not really a fair assessment IMO.

My take is that, Québec's been a two-party province along the sovereignist/federalist lines, and voting Parti Québécois or Liberal accordingly, for the past two generations. People didn't actually care whether the parties were left or right. Federalists voted for the Liberals whether their leader was in favour of massive government projects like Bourassa or a massive-deficit former PC leader like Charest or an austerity-measures guy like Couillard. Sovereignists voted PQ whether their leader was nationalizing enterprises like Parizeau or an anti-union private businessman like Péladeau or a former PC like Bouchard. That went on for almost 50 years, and people were increasingly fed up with it. In 2018 they voted the CAQ in to break out of the old pattern. They didn't vote to be more right wing, they voted to not have the Liberals or PQ in power anymore. For context, Québec Solidaire also made historic gains that election -- though obviously they fell far short of the CAQ, but again I don't think it's a left-right thing so much as having sovereignty as their #1 goal and having public leaders the MSM loves to mock mercilessly and unfairly.

Or, seen differently, Québec votes farther to the left than the ROC in Federal politics. Québec is the home of the Orange Wave, the province with the lowest voter rate for the CPC, and the Bloc Québécois has a decidedly left-wing platform.

I think in general we should look to voters simply swapping out the party in power as being the key factor at work, rather then specific ideologies. Politically engaged people tend to think of things in terms of policy and ideology and such but that's not imo the big thing that drives a lot of voters or the outcomes of these elections.

eg - Ontario didn't put Ford in power cause they were super excited for his agenda. They did it because they were tired of the Liberals running the place.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Mm, it's possible, but I don't know that there's any actual competition to the NDP in the province right now. I can't remember the last time the bc liberals successfully got themselves in people's minds.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Mm, it's possible, but I don't know that there's any actual competition to the NDP in the province right now. I can't remember the last time the bc liberals successfully got themselves in people's minds.

Oh, yeah sorry I don't think the liberals are taking over, I just meant the NDP is going to find themselves in the same or worse minority situation with the greens.

• Options
    There was a BLM protest yesterday, here in Red Deer. Wexiters and other white supremacists showed up and started throwing punches within minutes.

I recognize a few of those punks that were at a BLM protest I went to in Innisfail earlier this summer.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7063530/innisfail-black-lives-matter-rally/

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

I recognize a few of those punks that were at a BLM protest I went to in Innisfail earlier this summer.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7063530/innisfail-black-lives-matter-rally/

23346785.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=1200

Cookie Monster?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    And here we go again with another pandemic election, hopefully we fair better than NB did

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-election-1.5732601

At least NB was at single digit cases when they called an election.
    This just seems like a bad idea.
    Also, while NB's election was far from ideal, at least the government is no longer propped up by a party whose main platform is just being super bigoted against the French. An improvement ... I guess?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    In other news, the federal Cons have come up with a new logo. By come up with, I mean they've slightly altered the Canadian Air Force logo.
    rcaf-cpc-comparison.png

• Options
    What in the fuck is that tilted maple leaf?

It's leaning right I guess.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What in the fuck is that tilted maple leaf?

It's leaning right I guess.

It's avoiding some sort of trademark infringement, presumably.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    In other news, the federal Cons have come up with a new logo. By come up with, I mean they've slightly altered the Canadian Air Force logo.
    rcaf-cpc-comparison.png

What is the notch in the leaf about? Because that seems super weird. Like a pie chart of the population they think they represent or something

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
This discussion has been closed.