As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    god I hope the CRTC comes down hard on this

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I cannot imagine them allowing this to go through.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They competed?

I thought they carved up the country decades ago and everyone stayed on their side of the wall.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

They competed?

I thought they carved up the country decades ago and everyone stayed on their side of the wall.

Not here in AB anyway. We have both

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So it turns out Greg Pallister, a Conservative premier, is in fact a corporate shill. Who knew?

Specifically, he's been getting ideas for legislation from a group called the ALEC: the American Legislative Exchange Council. The ALEC basically drafts legislation and then leaves relevant parts (jurisdiction, dates, etc.) blank so that Republican legislators can fill them in. The Kochs are (or rather, the surviving Koch is) a big donor. As you might imagine, they're anti-union, pro-big-business, anti-environmental protections, etc.

In particular, Bill 57, the Protection of Critical Infrastructure Act, finds its original source in the same place as did Oklahoma House Bills 1123 and 2128 (and presumably Jason Kenney's attempts at the same thing). These were aimed at curbing mass protest by Indigenous communities in the wake of the Standing Rock pipeline protest in North Dakota. Similarly, Bill 64, which would set up an educational board appointed by the government in power, is taken straight from ALEC's model bill for "K-12 Efficiency."

Got that from this site. One thing that annoys me is that rather than running with the corporate shill thing, they wrap it up in a jokey-joke "lol didn't Pallister learn not to plagiarize in college?" which, way to fuckin' bury the lede.
    Every university student learns the importance of honest attribution of sources of information. Failure to do so is plagiarism and constitutes academic misconduct resulting in a failing grade or worse. Legislators should be held to the same stringent standards as students. Unfortunately, Premier Brian Pallister and his cabinet have not been entirely forthcoming about the origins of their legislative agenda.

I get it, you're a teachers' lobby group. Know what you're not? The Daily Show, or even 22 Minutes. Knock it off.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    The fun news out of Nova Scotia today is that public health has sneakily moved police up in the queue for COVID vaccinations, coming in hot on the heels of relentless messaging that they would not do exactly that. Somehow despite this now coming out and them being questioned about it, they remain steadfast that it makes sense for police, but any other profession (school staff, ambulance staff/EMTs, other front-line workers) or any other reasons (underlying health conditions) would be disruptive to the rolllout and cannot be justified. People aren't happy about this. Combined with the other global police-related events this week it sure is an ACAB mood over here today.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Cops before medical staff? Impressive. Most impressive.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Two weeks after spring break in Québec, and we're starting to see the infection numbers bounce back. From just below 600 two days ago to 750 today. Not much and not enough to call it a trend yet, but still worrying :/

On the plus side, my parents and my in-laws got vaccinated this week.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Two weeks after spring break in Québec, and we're starting to see the infection numbers bounce back. From just below 600 two days ago to 750 today. Not much and not enough to call it a trend yet, but still worrying :/

The one metric that really matters right now is vaccines. We got 39,990 of those yesterday, a record.

With pharmacies starting to vaccinate next Monday and the higher supply of vaccines we'll be getting starting next week, that # can only go up from now on.

More vaccines. Better weather.

ça va bien aller.

"You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    Conservatives vote to stay conservative I guess.

https://cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-delegates-reject-climate-change-is-real-1.5957739

so after being implored to appeal to a wider range of voters, the Conservatives vote to not recognize climate change as real.

"I'm not sure why it's necessary for the Conservative Party to declare climate change is real," one delegate from Scarborough-Centre said.

this is such a detached statement. They could improve their position by just agreeing to basic reality at this point, but they don't even understand why they should bother.

It feels strange to agree with the argument coming from O'Toole.

It's baffling and un-baffling at the same time. Man I wish there was better competition in political parties.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Not even anthropogenic climate change specifically, no less - the vote was whether it exists at all. It'd be kind of amazing if the party hadn't defined itself for decades as the "we oppose anything our opponents believe in" party.

And a good chunk of the party's trying to relaunch the abortion debate too. There's a point where they should just drop the pretense and rebrand as the Reactionary Party.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    My friends and I talk about this a lot. Many are upset at how corrupt the Liberal party appears to be due to the recent scandals. But pretty much everyone agrees that the Conservatives are not an option given the crazy ring wing elements gaining traction. I'll take scandal after scandal over neo-nazis and a renewed abortion or gay rights debate.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I'm interested in the third option when A) is Boring Scandal And Broken Promises and B) is Why Not Canadian Fascism Because We Follow The Republican Lead. Not that hard to consider when C) has played a part in bringing CERB up as an option and other good options in the tight spot of recent years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hell my own MP from option C brought up the possibility of basic income last year in a Parliamentary debate.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    I'm interested in the third option when A) is Boring Scandal And Broken Promises and B) is Why Not Canadian Fascism Because We Follow The Republican Lead. Not that hard to consider when C) has played a part in bringing CERB up as an option and other good options in the tight spot of recent years.

But... but... Bob Rae.

(Actually, that reminds me that I have a book written by Bob Rae that I rescued from my Mom's purge of my Dad's study. I wonder how 2015's What's Happened to Politics? holds up in light of the Trump era.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

But... but... Bob Rae.

(Actually, that reminds me that I have a book written by Bob Rae that I rescued from my Mom's purge of my Dad's study. I wonder how 2015's What's Happened to Politics? holds up in light of the Trump era.)

I know you're playing up the stereotype here, so please allow me to play it up in turn.

d98rr6h-16aa742f-8dcf-4afa-941c-180387b42104.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYjQxYThhMTItMTdjNC00YjEyLThjZmQtZTZhZDJhZmFmODJhXC9kOThycjZoLTE2YWE3NDJmLThkY2YtNGFmYS05NDFjLTE4MDM4N2I0MjEwNC5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mL0oEuTgBvo_v5lNwnZGA6175fxdHbYPTXtQ_cjwNZc

A guy who has been LPC for the last 22 years is still relevantly representative of the NDP somehow that isn't just out of touch propaganda? Like the NDP or ONDP has had how many policy conventions since then?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jean wrote: »

The one metric that really matters right now is vaccines. We got 39,990 of those yesterday, a record.

With pharmacies starting to vaccinate next Monday and the higher supply of vaccines we'll be getting starting next week, that # can only go up from now on.

More vaccines. Better weather.

ça va bien aller.

I love vaccines as much as the next person, but the one metric that matters now is _not_ vaccines, it's daily infections, or R, or something like that. Numerous health authorities have chimed in and said we cannot vaccinate our way out of this, not with the supply we have. If we could snap our fingers and vaccinate all of Canada tomorrow or within a week or even within a month, we'd be okay. But we're looking at more like "over the next half-year, optimistically", which means we won't even have enough vaccines to _start_ turning the tide for _months._

I don't say this to crap on your optimism or anything, I know it's hard out there and everyone's dealing with it in their own way, but we also gotta be real about what's actually needed. We can't just sigh thankfully that vaccines are starting to show up and go back to our old ways, expecting the vaccines to fix everything. If anything, now's the time where it makes the most sense to _stay the course._ Imagine you or or loved one getting COVID-19 and getting a life-long lung condition or dying _so close to the finish line._ (Congrats on your parents and in-laws. Trying to get mine vaccinated as we speak.)

All I'm saying is that we have to keep banging the drum on staying inside, acting responsibly, and trying to get the government to provide social programs so that people and businesses can _afford_ to act safely for these (hopefully) final few months until vaccination numbers are high enough to really turn the tide.

• Options
    So apparently yesterday Legault announced funding and an actual plan to hook up the last 150,000 Québec homes to high-speed internet. This would realize his campaign promise to have all Québec homes connected before 2022, right in time for the 20-year anniversary of the first time a Québec premier made that promise on the campaign trail.

More interestingly though is that the bill is split 50/50 between Québec and Ottawa, so Legault and Trudeau made the announcement jointly. This is the second time they appeared together in recent weeks, after being apart since 2019. The tone was also markedly more friendly than it has been over the last year, and both leaders were on a first-name basis. An off-topic question by a journalist about a comment a UofOttawa prof made blasting racism in Québec saw Trudeau jump to the defense of Québec and condemn "Québec-bashing".

If anyone doubted a Federal election will take place soon, you can put your doubts to rest. My money is on a spring election now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I'd be very surprised

We're not even halfway through the term. Any election called in the spring would be still in the height of the pandemic and all the delayed vaccine grumbling. Waiting until the fall at least would yield much better odds for the government IMO. Pandemic should be under control then, unemployment down, people happy they can go back to a more normal life, etc

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    China was squawking about our treatment of the indigenous, what did we do (this week) to rile them up? Tell them concentration camps aren't cool? Suggest the trial for the two Michaels is a sham?

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Yes.

Thats pretty much exactly what Canada, the US and a whole bunch of EU nations did. Diplomats were sent to the closed, sham, trial proceedings fully aware that they would be denied access and making the point in front of the world to shame China.

Canada and many of the the same allies also sanctioned four specific members of the Chinese government for their direct role in the treatment of the Uyghur population.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised

We're not even halfway through the term. Any election called in the spring would be still in the height of the pandemic and all the delayed vaccine grumbling. Waiting until the fall at least would yield much better odds for the government IMO. Pandemic should be under control then, unemployment down, people happy they can go back to a more normal life, etc

We're on track to have 60M doses of the vaccine ahead of schedule, and the vaccination campaign is well underway. Summer is looking good and people are seeing the light at the end of the covid tunnel, and that puts them in a good mood.

The upcoming budget can hit a lot of positive notes while the deficit can still be blamed on covid.

More importantly, Trudeau's government has been alone in the spotlight all year, while the opposition parties have been in obscurity. Most importantly, O'Toole has had zero media presence since he became CPC leader and is virtually unknown to the average voter, which is a bad position for a party leader to be in. Waiting until fall would give him a chance to go on a summer political-charm media blitz, which would turn things around.

The CPC is currently fundraising more than the Liberals. Waiting increases their financial advantage.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised

We're on track to have 60M doses of the vaccine ahead of schedule, and the vaccination campaign is well underway. Summer is looking good and people are seeing the light at the end of the covid tunnel, and that puts them in a good mood.

The upcoming budget can hit a lot of positive notes while the deficit can still be blamed on covid.

More importantly, Trudeau's government has been alone in the spotlight all year, while the opposition parties have been in obscurity. Most importantly, O'Toole has had zero media presence since he became CPC leader and is virtually unknown to the average voter, which is a bad position for a party leader to be in. Waiting until fall would give him a chance to go on a summer political-charm media blitz, which would turn things around.

The CPC is currently fundraising more than the Liberals. Waiting increases their financial advantage.

No we're certainly not very ahead of schedule. We're getting 1M pfizer / week steady through the end of may and moderna is ramping to ~1M / 2 weeks by the end of april. There's still a question of moderna in may but from this week through the end of may we get 10.5M pfizer and 2.9M + maybe 2.5M more moderna. This of course assumes that the EU's possible export controls have zero effect on us - which is possible, but is still a source of uncertainty

Combined with the 5.4M we already have and we're talking about 20-23M total through the end of may. That's probably not even enough to start general population doses unless they continue with extremely long 2nd dose times. Now with a moderate increase we are still on track for the end-of-september timeline, maybe even august if things go well, but we need an average doses/week of 2M to hit that and we're ramping up towards 1.5-1.6M right now and that does seem to be steady for a while

Plus total cases have been on an uptrend for several weeks. Voluntarily calling an election, an activity that involves campaigning and gatherings and such will be rightly panned when you could just... not do that. It's such an easy attack, you can blame any infections/deaths linked to campaign activities on trudeau's election call. "Trudeau's election is KILLING Canadians" etc

Election this year? Possible. Spring election? Nah, it's too soon. Summer maybe. Once every adult has their first dose is the earliest I would expect anything

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Youtube continues to let lots of other shitbags very nearly get away with murder, but they have demonetized Rebel News.

It happened almost two days ago but the only real sources I can find reporting it are Rebel News themselves and Canadaland.

So I'll just post this here so we can all bask in the sweet, almost un-Canadian degree of schadenfreude it makes us feel.

• Options
    They've turned "this one post got TOSed" into "this platform has SILENCED US give us all your dollars" a few times before. It's possible they're lying about this one, too, especially since they lie about everything else.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    They've turned "this one post got TOSed" into "this platform has SILENCED US give us all your dollars" a few times before. It's possible they're lying about this one, too, especially since they lie about everything else.

Agreed. I want to see an independent source on this.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2021/03/25/supreme-court-rules-canadas-carbon-price-is-constitutional.html

Carbon tax upheld. 6-3, one of the "no" votes apparently thought it was tweakable but not OK as drafted. Dodged a bullet there.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    I’m sure the response to this will be totally normal.

Supreme Court rules 6-3 that the federal carbon tax is constitutional.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    For information, the vote breakdown per PM appointment:

Carbon law is constitutional: Martin (1), Harper (3), Trudeau (2)
    Carbon law is within Federal powers but specific text is not constitutional: Harper (1)
    Carbon law is unconstitutional: Harper (1), Trudeau (1)

And the vote breakdown per province the justices originate from:

Carbon law is constitutional: Québec (2), Ontario (3), Alberta (1)
    Carbon law is within Federal powers but specific text is not constitutional: Québec (1)
    Carbon law is unconstitutional: Alberta (1), Newfoundland and Labrador (1)

The political independence of the SCC continues to delight and amaze me.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ditto. I'm still enjoying the fact that Harper lost the bulk of his legislative policy to SCC justices he presumably thought were his.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

Carbon law is within Federal powers but specific text is not constitutional: Harper (1)

Carbon law is within Federal powers but specific text is not constitutional: Québec (1)

wow that is.. really fucking cool

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

We have actual judges, not politicians in robes. For the time being, anyways... stuff like this is definitely an attempt to bring in "sue over everything you don't like" from the US.

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »

We have actual judges, not politicians in robes. For the time being, anyways... stuff like this is definitely an attempt to bring in "sue over everything you don't like" from the US.

On which note Scott Moe's reaction seems to basically be busting out the "why care about the ruling when I can latch on to the dissent?" card.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This Beaverton article is my go-to for explaining our interactions with our judiciary to americans:
    https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/10/canadians-thankful-they-cant-name-single-canadian-supreme-court-justice/
    As Canadian families from coast-to-coast gathered together for thanksgiving, the vast majority took time to be grateful for the fact they never have, nor likely would, ever know the name of even one of the justices of the highest court in the nation.
    Others, however, insisted they actually could name a Supreme Court justice.

“I’m a huge fan of Beverly McLachlin,” said law student Tiffany Cohen, in reference to the Chief Justice that retired two years ago.

At press time 10% of the people reading this article were shocked to discover Canada also has a Supreme Court.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I occasionally hate myself, so I looked at the comments... It's amazing how many Conservatives are now greatly preoccupied with the poors. And also how many don't understand how carbon taxes work, in general, and how the federal one does.

Now, to be fair, I also don't quite get on it works, since my province is not directly affected: we setup a cap and trade market with California instead, and the federal carbon tax only applies to provinces that are not even trying. Which would also be a major surprise to the Conservatives, since they seem to believe that carbon tax is imposed on the provinces.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    I occasionally hate myself, so I looked at the comments... It's amazing how many Conservatives are now greatly preoccupied with the poors. And also how many don't understand how carbon taxes work, in general, and how the federal one does.

Now, to be fair, I also don't quite get on it works, since my province is not directly affected: we setup a cap and trade market with California instead, and the federal carbon tax only applies to provinces that are not even trying. Which would also be a major surprise to the Conservatives, since they seem to believe that carbon tax is imposed on the provinces.
    In fairness, I'm sure certain invested parties have gone out of their way not to bring it up as such. <_<

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

In fairness, I'm sure certain invested parties have gone out of their way not to bring it up as such. <_<
    Yes, it's almost as if they have coordinated talking points that are spammed continuously.

Which is why you should not read the comments.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

The power of the notwithstanding clause and the lack of a Canadian FedSoc

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    In NB news, my mother was able to get her first vaccine shot. Though the whole thing is kind of weird. The provincial plan is right now 80+ can get the shot, at nearly any pharmacy. There was even a sign outside the pharmacy that said "Covid vaccines now available, 80+". But my mom and her friend are 70 something, and said friend said last night she had an appointment. So my mom called this morning... and got an appointment for 3PM same day. I dunno, either the pharmacy isn't checking ID's, or they don't really give a hoot over ~5 years. Also, her next shot is in 2 months, not 2 weeks. Which I specifically asked them about, and they said it's fine and that's the plan. So uh... yay I guess. At least the wheels are finally in motion though.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Aren't the age cohorts a bit fuzzy in some provinces because vaccine hesitancy is getting them fewer people than they expected? I seem to recall that being enough of a thing in Ontario that they were talking about moving ahead with one of the younger groups.

Two months between shots sounds nice. NS is holding firm to four, it seems.

This discussion has been closed.