As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Therapist/Psychologist Hunting

thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt.Registered User regular
I’m sorry if this is an old topic - I searched a few pages back and didn’t see anything that popped.

I need to see a therapist or psychologist. Just do.

I’ve been doing web searches and there’s really only one page that seems like it is legitimate. The problem I have is trying to tell the ‘life coach’/‘lets unlock your true potential’ kinds from the ones that have a legitimate education.

The biggest question I have is aside from the one website that pops up as the #1/#2 link, are there any other publications or association websites that I can look to for finding well regarded psychologist or therapists?

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    don't know what country you're currently in, but maybe start here?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/

I have used this site myself in the past, often times it is easier to finds a medical group in the US that is focused on mental health and just call to have them work out an available therapist.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It's probably best to start with local listings. Are you doing web searches looking for someone who offers online sessions?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I can't really add much outside of don't be afraid to walk away form a therapist/psychologist that you think isn't helping at all.

Don't get me wrong, give them a shot, but if it feels like they're hurting more than helping or frankly just not even helping at all, don't be afraid to look into other options.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    don't know what country you're currently in, but maybe start here?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/

I have used this site myself in the past, often times it is easier to finds a medical group in the US that is focused on mental health and just call to have them work out an available therapist.

USA currently.

That’s the #1 link I’ve been seeing when searching. Though it seems to lump a lot of types together and where I live tends to be the land of borderline culty practices (think fly-by-night self help people with a therapist license).
    ceres wrote: »
    It's probably best to start with local listings. Are you doing web searches looking for someone who offers online sessions?

Yeah, definitely going for the teletherapy - I’d keep muddling through before risking the COVID. Though the way I understand things I probably can’t see anyone that isn’t licensed in the state I currently live, which is kind of a bummer (originally I was hoping I could find a doctor in a state with a higher probability of being not.. conservative).

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I can't really add much outside of don't be afraid to walk away form a therapist/psychologist that you think isn't helping at all.

Don't get me wrong, give them a shot, but if it feels like they're hurting more than helping or frankly just not even helping at all, don't be afraid to look into other options.

This is good to hear - though I’m partly irrationally afraid I’ll be likely to throw good money after bad in the case that I pay for my sessions out of pocket. I’m not sure I want my insurance & company to know what’s up.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    The easiest place to find them is covered so I will try to give you some insight into verifying who they are if you find them through another means.

The way to tell a life coach/guru from someone who has training and credentials is to check on them. I dunno what state you are in, but you can definitely search for the board websites for therapists. This can be annoying because social workers, counselors, marriage and family therapists, and psychologists might all use different boards. At best I would think counselors and marriage and family therapists might be on the same place but that would be it. They should be very VERY willing to tell you their credentials and have you look them up. If they play coy about it at all then run away far and fast. If they are not recognized by a board then there is zero accountability.

This isn't to say they can't still be good. I have known people who have sworn by their life coaches and that is great. The risk is just extremely high for you. The process of opening up to someone puts you in a vulnerable position so accountability to protect you makes a lot of sense to me. Do NOT trust just because they have a Master's degree or doctorate that it means they are good. I have known some therapists who gave up their license for various reasons to do the life coach thing. Without an exception they fucking terrify me. I wouldn't refer my worst enemy to them.

And I want to absolutely second the notion that you should feel free to walk away from a therapist. I tell everyone I see that you need to advocate for yourself. That includes telling me what has worked for you in the past, what hasn't, and what you feel you will need. Ideally I can offer that. If it turns out I can't I will absolutely find someone I can refer you to that seems like a better fit. I will be happy to do it as well because I have one job in the relationship which is to focus on helping you right? So if my help is connecting you with someone who works better for you than me awesome! Job done! Any therapist who takes a different approach is bad at their jobs. No exceptions.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    When I was looking for a therapist I sent out a few short emails about the issues I was going to need to work through while checking on availability. Many of the therapists who had full client lists were able to refer me to others based on the small bit of information I provided, which helped filter some noise out of my search. My personal therapist hadn't come up by my own searching, but came as a recommendation from one who I was interested in.

If the therapist has a vibe you really dont like on their website, its okay to be skeptical. Here in Texas I made sure to avoid anyone with heavy christian family overtones to their language 'cause I knew we would not mesh. Looking for people who were familiar with LGBT issues made me more comfortable overall too.

Thanks everyone. This feedback definitely helps my understanding of the process - which is a very good thing.