As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I had the Iron Man helmet but parted with it in a move, I recently got the War Machine helm for 50 from gamestop but it's for a custom paint job I'm doing :biggrin:

I will say the Power Rangers helmet isn't as nice but I do like it came with a stand for it. That most of the Marvel Legends props light up and feel more quality makes them more worth it.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, they also made this bonkers thing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHa3WlOYYsA

• Options
    I can't tell if I love or hate that thing, but I can imagine some funny cosplay ideas from it

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I am so glad I don't collect Marvel Legends anymore, though I've been strongly tempted in the past.

The next wave is going to be based on the Disney + MCU stuff.. and it all looks AMAZING.

Captain America Sam!

Wanda in full Scarlet Witch Outfit!

White Vision!

U.S. Agent!

Bucky Barnes! (he is no longer the Winter Soldier, damnit)

Dancing Baron Zemo! ... well, dancing added after the fact.

TVA Loki!

Anyways, the "Build a figure" is actually Sam's wings, Redwing, and I believe a flight stand. Which is cool given how big those wings are. I think that he had been spoiled before, but we didn't know the wings were the build a figure.

d2bcd802-ee85-4ba8-95a4-d8d23d0d2965.jpg

Last time I bought something Legends related was Thor: Ragnarok's line, and then I came to my senses and returned them all. Then I ordered 2 HasLab Sentinels, then cancelled them.

So.. yeah. The temptation is there...

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I personally hate that I need to buy a whole wave of figures just to complete one of those figures.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Oh shit didn't notice the BAF is Cap, that's a dumb thing indeed

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Oh shit didn't notice the BAF is Cap, that's a dumb thing indeed

Well, you can buy the figure by itself

but the wings are the BAF, so either you have a wingless figure or buy all the figures

That picture is kinda misleading

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    That's very weird, over under on them simply releasing it all together later/with slightly different paint job

• Options
    edited April 2021
    That's very weird, over under on them simply releasing it all together later/with slightly different paint job

Hard to say. Probably depends on what they do next, like another season or a movie or what. MCU Vulture was the same, the wingless figure a part of the wave and the wings the BAF. It never got released otherwise, but he also hasn’t shown up since, whereas Sam should be seeing more action at some point

I really want Sam, but I’m not too interested in the rest of the wave. Maybe Bucky and Zemo.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Last night was brutal for me at work but I got the heads up that they will get in a Gi Joe classified box this wednesday
    But one of the things we got in last night was
    0226lzsecl8l.png
    The really gross thing was we got 12 in and when I bought mine only 6 were left and I left work about a hour after I was supposed to

• Options
    Next wave of the Super7 Ultimates versions of the classic TMNT toys

wus7856bmt6j.jpeg

Honestly disappointed. I really don’t feel like it’s necessary to start throwing in wacky costume turtles yet. There’s so many core characters that should be done first. And Krang in the little walker is boring. Just give me the big android! I guess it wouldn’t be bad, but the prices have gone up to $55 a piece now, which is a bit much for a simple Krang.

Definitely getting Leatherhead and Ray though.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    how big are those? Because nothing about that looks to be $55 on the surface...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Athenor wrote: »
    how big are those? Because nothing about that looks to be $55 on the surface...

They vary, but the Turtles are like 6” or just a smidge taller. Some of the other beast dudes are like 7”+, plus wide. Baxter definitely has a lot of area with his wings

$55 is definitely rough though. I think the first wave originated at $40, then went up to $45, and the next couple waves were $45, which seemed fair for the detail and quality. They're basically the original 90s toys, but bigger, more detailed, more articulation, with the unpainted accessories on the sprue like the originals, but also you get a prepainted loose set of accessories as well which is awesome.

This wave though is the first lackluster one, in my opinion, and that $55 cost is making me iffy. That Krang at least should not be that price.

I don't think the stock photos do these things justice though. I feel like they're always really early productions and the articulation appears more limited than normal. Video reviews or of course having them in hand make them look much better

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Fun story...

Lately Hasbro's been talking about raising prices due to higher costs of materials, and also improving their carbon footprint by using less plastic (hollow toys, more recyclable packaging, etc.)

So today's announcement of them looking into NFTs has raised a few eyebrows.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbro-backtracking-on-being-environmentally-friendly-with-interest-in-transformers-nfts/45881/

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Fun story...

Lately Hasbro's been talking about raising prices due to higher costs of materials, and also improving their carbon footprint by using less plastic (hollow toys, more recyclable packaging, etc.)

So today's announcement of them looking into NFTs has raised a few eyebrows.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hasbro-backtracking-on-being-environmentally-friendly-with-interest-in-transformers-nfts/45881/

Yeah I said my piece about this stupidity on the TFW forums. Greed, speaking out of both sides of their mouth and only doing things for money is sadly the norm now... It sort of makes me sick when I think about it. Of course I still buy toys made of plastic so yeah I add to all that but I will never cross the line when it comes to blockchain technology.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Not gonna lie, surprised they didn't do this with digital Magic: The gathering cards first. That's a place where such snake oil actually makes SENSE.

• Options
    It's... It's beautiful.
    ulo8fgqrhyuo.jpg

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    NFTs are infesting all my hobbies right now. I really want to know what the NFT pitch is to companies at this size, my guess is that adding crypto to your accounting department results in untraceable transactions. It probably enables tax evasion or embezzlement.

• Options
    I said it in the crypto thread in D&D, but I've lost a lot of respect for artists that jumped on the NFT trend. I'm sure they see it as a bubble to hop on before it pops, but I can say for myself I wish the crypto and NFT stuff would all just go away (tho it likely won't)

• Options
    Another Transformers colloborative project codename leaked out: Project Jam, $70

Best guesses I've seen are either Space Jam (though I dunno what it'd be) or Monster Jam (Monster Truck)

God I would love a leader-sized Monster Truck so bad.

If anyone else is curious

Project Mullet: Ecotron (Ghostbusters Ecoto-1)
    Project Future: Gigawatt (Back to the Future DeLorean Time Machine)
    Project Cruise(?): Maverick (Top Gun F-14 Tomcat)
    Project Bird: Ultimate X-Spanse (X-Men SR-71 Blackbird)

Project Park: Rumored to be Rexxy, the Tyrannosaurus Rex from Jurassic Park
    Project Bat: Rumored to be Dracula, from the Universal movies.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Project Mullet? Is there a Ghostbusters reference I'm forgetting?

So far, we have 3 80s classic movies and an early 90s cartoon (I know X-Men is more than that, but that release seems to draw directly from there). Transformers started in the 80s, so it makes sense to pull other properties from around that time to capitalize on nostalgia

Park definitely makes sense to be Jurassic Park, another classic movie, early 90s. I guess a T Rex makes sense, especially with the Beast Wars Megatron recent release, but I kinda hope for a park Jeep or Ford...

Bat being Dracula seems weird. Would it be a bat beastform that turns into a Dracula robot? Dracula is a classic movie, but much older if you're going with the original. Bram Stoker's is early 90s, but seems like a weird choice? Doesn't seem to fit into the nostalgia they've been aiming for. Is there a reason Dracula is the rumor? To me, a Batmobile would make a lot more sense, maybe from TAS.

Jam being Monster Jam seems weird too. Again, doesn't seem to fit into the nostalgia they're going for, but maybe they're drifting away from that? A monster truck Transformer would be cool though. Space Jam kinda fits the trend as a kinda nostalgic mid 90s movie, but then, yeah, what would that even be? I feel like it's neither. Maybe something music based, some band?

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Insiders (who have been correct about stuff before) have said it's Dracula, not Batman.

There was a unused concept for Universal monster Transformers back in G1, so it's probably related to that on some level.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Dracula

Also, while a truck like Gravedigger isn't probably not on par with, say, Ghostbusters or Jurrassic Park, it's still an internationally recognized icon that has nostalgia behind it. I could totally see it happen.

Also, Monster Trucks are cool.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I'm kinda surprised, I went back to see if there were any bat alt modes from Beast Wars and I'm...not seeing any?

I figured that'd be a shoe-in if they were doing Dracula.

EDIT: Looks like the very first Optimus Primal was a bat, and there was an "Onyx Primal"?

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I'm kinda surprised, I went back to see if there were any bat alt modes from Beast Wars and I'm...not seeing any?

EDIT: Looks like the very first Optimus Primal was a bat, and there was an "Onyx Primal"?

Not Beast Wars, but https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mindwipe_(G1)

Specifically the Titans Return toy from 2016.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »

Not Beast Wars, but https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Mindwipe_(G1)

Specifically the Titans Return toy from 2016.

Makes sense.

• Options
    I was hoping the box was going to have Scarlet or Duke but still
    f37dceb2ujni.png

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

wus7856bmt6j.jpeg

Honestly disappointed. I really don’t feel like it’s necessary to start throwing in wacky costume turtles yet. There’s so many core characters that should be done first. And Krang in the little walker is boring. Just give me the big android! I guess it wouldn’t be bad, but the prices have gone up to $55 a piece now, which is a bit much for a simple Krang.

Why does the alligator have people teeth

• Options
    Probably the same reason the manta ray has shark teeth

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

wus7856bmt6j.jpeg

Why does the alligator have people teeth

The better to masticate you with, my dear!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I looked up other pictures of that figure trying to figure out why you thought he has purple teeth.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I've recently come across a genre of YouTube video that was new to me (though not new to the world, of course), and that I'm enjoying quite a bit: folks who (sometimes design and) 3D-print and assemble their own action figures. The first one I came across was Toymakr3D, who mostly does non-transforming versions of Transformers characters:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvW6aTGwAzE

Just today, though, The Almighty Algorithm recommended 3D Zip Guy, whose deal appears to be designing figures where zip-ties can be used to make joints and to hold pieces together, which seems to me like a very novel idea:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irCePEtlfx0

Stuff like this really makes me want to get a 3D printer.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I dunno if ya'll noticed, but Gabe is into Gundam now:

qs3h2o-sl9bANY0.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    qslw8s-5jfPK6Ao.jpg
    One of us... One of us...

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I was building Gundam before it was cool!

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

I quit building Gundam before it was cool. :bigfrown: I do find it great that it is cool now and there are so many ways to get models here compared to before. Plus so many tools and techniques.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I still need to finish the last one I was working on, I think I just have a leg left.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Pfft I have original gundam

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So this just happened this morning. Last one at the store and despite saying I wasn't buying it, here we are...

d3jdd4q36e7t.jpg

pfct48qc5qon.jpg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    So this just happened this morning. Last one at the store and despite saying I wasn't buying it, here we are...

There's no judgment, if we weren't all slaves to our nostalgia this thread wouldn't exist.

• Options

d3jdd4q36e7t.jpg

pfct48qc5qon.jpg

That box is so awesome and beautiful.

I especially love the "unassembled" and Mattel logo on it.

oosik_betsuni.png