As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I need to figure out if I'm going to get an Eris or not. I was totally going to grab her until the paint snafu happened so now I'm worried that they might just put out a newer fixed version later.
    MMC has been pretty good about providing after-sale support. It sounds like it's going to take them a while to figure out the best (read: "cost-effective") way to produce the fixed faces, but I expect that once they have them done, they will either:
    1) Provide the replacement faces to retailers to distribute as they see fit.
    2) Include them with whatever the next figure they produce is.
    3) Provide the replacement faces to the customers (either for free or for a nominal price).
    4) Some combination of the above.

I think that if they produce fixed faces (and it seems like they fully intend to), then I think your chances of getting a fixed one are near 100%, although you would have to pay attention to things in case some action is needed on your part. I spend way too much time keeping an eye and ear out on this stupid hobby, so I will gladly give you a heads-up if there's movement on this front.

But also, I think this was a super-popular figure for them, so I think they're going to do future re-issues and re-decos of her, so if you don't feel comfortable getting her right now, and are fine with the possibility of not getting this exact deco again in the future, you can pretty safely wait.

(My personal feeling is that this is such a good toy that I would recommend not waiting. I just wish they made that mid-shin transformation joint lock into place, so it wouldn't accidentally articulate when you're just posing her.)

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Tarn is definitely one of my favorite characters in the IDW comics run. He oscillates between sympathetic and sadistic in a way that is extremely compelling. It's a wild ride when he learns about what postwar life does to allegiances that once seemed set in stone.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    New Transformers went up today for pre-order (too many to list) and @Undead Scottsman was right that Grimlock becomes a leg in the Core Dinobots team.

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/01/31/transformers-jan-23-livestream-recap-legacy-evolution-wave-2-and-more-474374

Also, War for Cybertron Dirge was confirmed to get a re-release for those who missed out on him. I didn't watch the feed (work got in the way), but saw the photo and was hoping that maybe they're making a new Seeker mold seeing Dirge there. Glad for those who missed out on the WFC Dirge thanks to Amazon and Hasbro, and hopefully that means they'll rerelease Thrust and Ramjet for everyone as well.

I just pre-ordered Grimlock, Shrapnel, Thundercracker, and Rewind (with Twincast accessory).

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Okay, so for those of us who skipped the roughly 23 years of Transformers between G1 and Animated, what is Evolution and how does "Evo Fusion" play into it? What are they celebrating?

I kinda dig Metalhawk, but know nothing about him.

Skyquake was awesome, but this toy looks like a let down.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Okay, so for those of us who skipped the roughly 23 years of Transformers between G1 and Animated, what is Evolution and how does "Evo Fusion" play into it? What are they celebrating?

I kinda dig Metalhawk, but know nothing about him.

Skyquake was awesome, but this toy looks like a let down.

They've been splitting the main nostalgia line (Generations) into trilogies. First we had the Prime Wars triogy (Combiner Wars, Titan Returns, Power of the Primes) then we had the War for Cybertron trilogy (Siege, Earthrise, Kingdom), and now we're on the Legacy trilogy. Originally part 1 was going to be called "Legacy: Evolution" but they wound up just calling it "Legacy" and then calling part 2 "Legacy: Evolution."

The evo-fusion "gimmick" is just a catch all for whatever "thing" the toy can do. Sometimes it's a replication of an old gimmick (Hot Shot's shoulder bazooka), some random dross so they have a selling point (Tarn's ability to combine both of his cannons into a.. longer cannon.), or occasionally something actually cool (Junkions that can be taken apart and reassembled into new bots and vehicles)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Apparently, my Optimus Prime Bishoujo statue will be shipping soon! Woot!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

They just showed off the Bumblebee version today (ish?).

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-150468

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I really wanted to like the Core Dinobots (because (1) Dinobots, (2) tiny Dinobots, and (3) combining Dinobots), but I feel like they really made huge sacrifices on basically every front, to the point that I'm not sure any of it is worth it anymore (well, for my tastes, I mean).

That Shrapnel looks pretty great, and I think they really nailed Animated Prowl (although, losing some of the exaggerated and stylized features of the original is a bummer). The new Junkions all looks amazing.

• Options
    Anywho, Grimlock is rough. Not a great robot mode, a laughable dino mode, and he doens't even turn into that great of a leg. Just yikes.

I'll get him along with the other cores, but man he's kind of a bummer. Nemesis Prime and Thundercracker look fine (the blue axe is kind of weird, but at least Thundercracker has his null rays; still need to find some for Skywarp)

The only deluxe that catches my eye is the Junkion. Shrapnel looks fantastic but I'm not getting the insecticons; I'd like Crosscut to go with Road Rage, except I already have Burn-Out which is the same mold and I don't need it twice just because of some random release factoid from 20 years ago. Animated Prowl just isnt' doing it for me, unfortunately. The Animated designs done through the lense of G1 just isn't what I wanted. Except for Lugnut, I'd totally get a G1 style Lugnut.

Twincast looks fine, though they made his chest window dark grey so they could make Rewind dark grey because they JUST HAD to put the cassette onto the same sprue as the transparent plastic window. :tongue: . I'm on the fence for Metalhawk.. the figure looks nice, but he really didn't stand out for me in Masterforce and I found his IDW version to be kind of prick.

Still figuring out my plans for movie figures; there's a weird thing going on where the supposedly "kiddie" line has better looking and more original figures while the "adult" line toys look more movie accurate (which I was never a fan of that aesthetic) but are reusing engineering from other figures. So like the Studio Series Airrazor probably looks closer to how she looks in the movie, but the regular figure looks more like a classic G1 or Beast Wars character. Though I already have a beast Wars airrazor so maybe I'll just skip Rise of the Beasts like I mostly did with every other movie after the first.

Nothing too shocking in the upcoming announcements, but at least Hasbro is actually saying what's happening instead of letting us speculating about store listings.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

She's cute, but I have no intention of collecting a whole set of these Transformers figures. Optimus Prime is plenty!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I do like Bumblebee's hoodie, other than the eye/goggle parts which just look weird.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Sounds like the official stock photography for Grimlock was mistransformed, so he doesn't look quite that bad in Dino mode.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular

This is the best iteration of Bumblebee yet.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Sounds like the official stock photography for Grimlock was mistransformed
    🎵Tale as old as time / Song as old as rhyme 🎵

• Options
    Actually, even though the stock photo of Core Grimlock is mistransformed, there's a few captures from the stream on that page Betsuni linked to. They seem to show him transformed correctly, and uh, I still think he doesn't look great.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Still gonna get Grimlock because it’s a set I’m interested in.

Rest of the stuff was kinda “eh” for me, maybe as stuff starts to hit and we get more photos

• Options
    We were talking recently about how it's a bummer that Hasbro doesn't put much character background on the packaging anymore, doesn't have those power stats, etc. I got two 3rd party figures a few days ago (X-Transbots's versions of Groove and Ultra Magnus), and was struck by the stark difference between Hasbro's packaging, and most 3P packaging, which goes all-out in the opposite direction.

Now, to be fair, these are very different categories of toys, almost to the point that comparison between them doesn't make sense. Hasbro mass-produces probably hundreds of thousands of units of these main-line toys, and while they are happy to get adult collectors to buy in, the toys (and their packaging) are still manufactured to specifications targeting children, at least in part. Meanwhile, the 3P toys are Masterpiece-style (so, aimed at adult collectors), are produced in runs of proooobably a few thousand, and are an order of magnitude more expensive. So it's no surprise that 3P companies can afford to have more elaborate packaging. When Hasbro is selling a figure for $20, they probably need to squeeze as many savings as they can to make whatever profit they need to make in order for investors to keep investing. No one is in 3P to get rich, and most of these designers and company-owners are dork-ass dork Transformers fans, so when a 3P is selling a figure for $120, some part of that is going towards making pretty boxes that are often inspired by the boxes of the original G1 toys.

Basically, I just want to underscore that I understand the pragmatic reasons why those Hasbro boxes are that way and why these 3P boxes are this way. But, it was a timely opportunity to contrast and compare, so I figured I'd do it.

The box for XTB's Jocund (their take on Groove):
    5nt9aaol.jpg
    Tt5kmOSl.jpg
    uWZ3XtBl.jpg
    Ecq3typl.jpg

The box for XTB's Commander Stack (their take on Ultra Magnus):
    K90vqOUl.jpg
    vKS6ynFl.jpg
    f0Suzfml.jpg
    g9DPbCPl.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Anywho, Grimlock is rough. Not a great robot mode, a laughable dino mode, and he doens't even turn into that great of a leg. Just yikes.

I'll get him along with the other cores, but man he's kind of a bummer. Nemesis Prime and Thundercracker look fine (the blue axe is kind of weird, but at least Thundercracker has his null rays; still need to find some for Skywarp)

The only deluxe that catches my eye is the Junkion. Shrapnel looks fantastic but I'm not getting the insecticons; I'd like Crosscut to go with Road Rage, except I already have Burn-Out which is the same mold and I don't need it twice just because of some random release factoid from 20 years ago. Animated Prowl just isnt' doing it for me, unfortunately. The Animated designs done through the lense of G1 just isn't what I wanted. Except for Lugnut, I'd totally get a G1 style Lugnut.

Twincast looks fine, though they made his chest window dark grey so they could make Rewind dark grey because they JUST HAD to put the cassette onto the same sprue as the transparent plastic window. :tongue: . I'm on the fence for Metalhawk.. the figure looks nice, but he really didn't stand out for me in Masterforce and I found his IDW version to be kind of prick.

Still figuring out my plans for movie figures; there's a weird thing going on where the supposedly "kiddie" line has better looking and more original figures while the "adult" line toys look more movie accurate (which I was never a fan of that aesthetic) but are reusing engineering from other figures. So like the Studio Series Airrazor probably looks closer to how she looks in the movie, but the regular figure looks more like a classic G1 or Beast Wars character. Though I already have a beast Wars airrazor so maybe I'll just skip Rise of the Beasts like I mostly did with every other movie after the first.

Nothing too shocking in the upcoming announcements, but at least Hasbro is actually saying what's happening instead of letting us speculating about store listings.

You reminded me that I really need to get some silicone and mold the null rays from Starscream to give Skywarp a set (instead of the sword part). That bugged me to no end and I'm glad to see that at least Thundercracker will get a set of null rays.

I actually had the previous version of Metalhawk but think I sold him off a while ago. I actually liked that version, but since I didn't watch the Japanese show I felt it was time to move him on to someone who wanted him more. Funny that I almost pre-ordered this new one till I saw he was a Cyclonus mold mate (partially).

I'm really trying to like these Core Dinobots. I really am. Slag is the best so far (which is good for me since I like Slag the best out of the entire team) and poor Sludge is getting the short end of the stick. Grimlock is a close second though and he made a terrible leg in the video screenshots. His bot mode doesn't look that bad though.

I'm so going to pass on Nemesis Prime because I have way too many Nemesis Primes as it is!!! My story with Nemesis Prime is that I bought the reissue Masterpiece (MP-10B) when I first got back into buying toys again. Mainly because I missed out on a lot of the Masterpieces by this time and I wanted to see the difference between the old version that I had (MP-4) and the newer stuff. So I broke down and ordered a Nemesis Prime from HLJ since I figured that would be good enough for me. I loved the toy and had fun with him. Then I said that is enough of Nemesis for me as my collection of Transformers blew up. During that time I ended up with a few other versions of Nemesis Prime since I just couldn't help myself buying toys. Then the MP-49 version to have a Prime that I didn't have to fear of breaking (I have MP-44 and worried it would break). So yeah, I have a lot of versions of Nemesis Prime even though I don't like the character. Hahaha.

I'm also glad to see that there are less Transformers I recognize so it helps my "have to buy them all" urges. I am seriously happy to see all the Transformers Fans pre-ordering everything and enjoying the new stuff.

Oh and I am slightly annoyed with myself for having Blaster, Shattered Glass Blaster, and soon Twincast in my collection. Mainly because I never intended to have a Soundwave and Blaster collection. But now here I am and have an entire shelf dedicated to them both. HAHAHA.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HOLY GOD DAMN HELL FINALLY!

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/hasbro-generations-legacy-deluxe-class-autobot-minerva-action-figure/ID=300431835-product

Minerva is in stock and available to buy online.

Seriously thought I was going to have to ebay her for like $50 at this point.

• Options
    Glad you got one! I was about to run over here to send you a message about it till I saw your post in the Walgreens thread. Then you beat me posting here to let others know.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Fucking finally

Thank you

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Woo! My Bandai DX VF-1A Angel Birds just landed! I have to say that this might be the first DX box I keep since it is quite beautiful and the first Valkyrie that might just stay primarily in Fighter Mode. I love the paint detail on the legs as well.

For those who don't know, this was a paint job of the Macross (Robotech) VF-1A that flew in the first episode as an aerial stunt team. I bought this one because I'm a Macross nut job and love the VF-1A variant of the Valkyries. This comes from a big toy purchase when I was growing up being a Bandai VF-1A Hikaru toy. I am so excited to get this one in hand so I took some quick photos to share. I'll eventually have to transform it, but for now I love seeing it in Fighter (plane) Mode sitting on my desk.

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_01.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_02.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_03.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_04.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_05.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_06.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_07.jpg

Bandai_VF-1A_Angel_Birds_08.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That is drop-dead gorgeous, damn.

Oh hey! stopped by the store today, got kinda lucky and found out I won't need to go hunting for the last diceling I want!

mJCzJ6Qh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    EDIT: Wrong thread.

I blame that transforming D20.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Apparently because of the popularity of the new show, The Last of Us Funko pops are going crazy with prices right now. A set of all three is going for 250ish. And I have all three... I'm heavily considering selling them even tho I know that's kinda scummy but... That's a lot of money I can waste on other, different plastic!

• Options
    Apparently because of the popularity of the new show, The Last of Us Funko pops are going crazy with prices right now. A set of all three is going for 250ish. And I have all three... I'm heavily considering selling them even tho I know that's kinda scummy but... That's a lot of money I can waste on other, different plastic!

Scummy would have been buying them with the intent to not collect them and primarily sell for a profit. Dunno, that is how I see things.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Especially because these weren't especially rare before? I literally found them all by walking into GameStop and every time I went back they still had more

Its so odd

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    The gamestop ichigo and kurama from the anime day promotion are also absurd now.

• Options
    Yaaaay!

A leaked review shows that we are getting studio series Snarl! It will be the only one this year, and he looks... Extremely doofy. But that is okay. It means the chances are good all of them will be made.

I am still content that my Grimlock is the masterpiece edition, but he deserves the extra love.

• Options
    I partially regret not picking up Grimlock and only Slug.

Also CYBERTRON JAZZ!!!!! Now they need to make Wheeljack and I'll be happy.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I'm in the process of downsizing some of my toy collection, and I have no particular attachment to my SS86 Grimlock. PM me if interested.

• Options

Strangely enough, Sledge has become a shelfwarmer at my Target.

And in other news... THE REPAINT HAS ARRIVED!

Or.. almost repaint, in this case. They did include some extra bits.

1obZ1PUl.jpg

Breakdown represents the final Menasor piece. All he really adds is plugging in a leg.. but hey, it's there.

Because last time I didn't post the shot of the tech specs, here you go.

cgT9UgQl.jpg

And the back:

koLhuQol.jpg

Humorously, there are no shots of Menasor anywhere on this box. In fact, the only clue you'd get that this is part of Menasor is the Combiner Wars style badge that says he's "4 of 5" of the combiner. The manual doesn't even have any transforming instructions! ... which makes sense, he is a repaint after all.

.. Or is he?

SPOILER ALERT!

9RAoWSbh.jpg

Yes, they gave him a unique gun and his spoiler. You can combine them to make an axe thingy... but the instructions do show him holding it like some whack boomerang.

Yadda yadda transform, and...

bbIID07h.jpg

The shade difference on the transparent hood piece and the standard opaque plastic is REALLY noticable. I know how hard that is to pull off, but it bums me that they couldn't do multiple coats.

But with that? The gang's all here!

pDybt5Hh.jpg

Just.. gotta.. transform Motormaster. Always a fun experience. After that, the rest are easy.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    SPOILER ALERT!
    :p

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Motormaster went faster than I remembered, mostly because I knew the "tricky" parts of the transformation and how to work around them.

Menasor... Is ready.

plFhSBfh.jpg

.. With his weak-ass sword and complete kibble of a gun turret!

XdNrAzfh.jpg

Now, really, all this does for Menasor is fills in the leg that was missing. But that does give him much better proportions, compared to the hollow mess he was before. The fronts of the legs do have the same patterns as the bottom of the stunticons, which is a huge plus. But it really does look like the cars were just slapped on his legs.

iSXvYpsh.jpg

But even I have to admit. For a mass production toy, they made a wise choice making a central frame that other bots plug into. After all, that's what the super tiny gestalts did back in the day!

It also allowed them to put in a TON more articulation, without sacrificing the robot or alt modes of the stunticons. Turns out my guy needs a bit of firming up in his thigh swivel joints, but otherwise he holds poses very well. He doesn't have a decent neck, but you can easily pop off the joint to get a bit of looking up without it looking too terrible.

gsWWJrzh.jpg

Even the dinobots are... impressed? Let's go with impressed.

0whUpz9h.jpg

So.. yeah! Given how few Legacy toys I've bought, I can actually display them all in a single picture! ... well, I guess Scourge counts too, and he's elsewhere at the moment.

TNtBqEYh.jpg

But the thing is... HE. Is coming. And he is on a completely. different. scale.

DCVcu5Mh.jpg

Athenor on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Funny enough, having the legs look like the cars were just slapped on there is...somewhat cartoon accurate:

ssgag6iyd4dt.png
    ox7b6sioeg5x.png
    v03ghizdzpmc.png

• Options
    Oh no, it is 100% intentional! The design was trying to make as cartoon accurate a Menasor as they could.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

I'm in the process of downsizing some of my toy collection, and I have no particular attachment to my SS86 Grimlock. PM me if interested.

Awesome, PM sent!

@Athenor I didn't know that Sludge is a shelf warmer. Then again I haven't gone looking for Transformers in a while since all my local stores always seem to be empty or have Blurr shelf warmers.

Wait. Is Breakdown the same mold as Wildrider? I honestly didn't pay attention to the designs. Hopefully mine is going to be delivered soon and I don't get Hot Shot (some people are getting Hot Shots instead of Breakdown from Pulse).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Someone showed up today a lot sooner than I was expecting!

2cpy67hr1dpb.jpg

Gotta say I'm glad I'm not the kind of collector that keeps everything in-box, because Optimus really isn't well presented in the box. the plastic wrap around her is mostly opaque and makes for a bad presentation overall.

xaplyiym0owf.jpg

The other sides of the box, in case you were curious:

ihv4e838o5n4.jpg
    xw39z4jdl534.jpg
    v94ru9545ny9.jpg

I haven't decided whether I want her with mask or without, but for the moment she's on the shelf "with."

fpmyjz9cichm.jpg
    bvdbflee2m20.jpg
    stqfym6jcn86.jpg

I also plan to adjust my shelf later, so that she isn't being shadowed by the lip of the upper shelf.

Surprise feature: she's the same scale as my mini garbage bins! Finally I know who they're for.

Anyway, she's adorable and I'm glad I got her.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    She looks awesome! Is the mask one tiny piece or a replacement head? Just curious.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Regarding Menasor, I’ve never been much a fan of slavish cartoon accuracy, which the new toy isn’t, but I still would’ve preferred the cars to be on the front of the legs. Just seems silly to hide them on the back.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL