As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what makes something a toy in the toystoryverse

I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boomRegistered User regular
is a Slide a Toy

do slides come to life and talk during the night

liEt3nH.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    A slide is play equipment.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Slides eat children who are foolish enough to go on them during the night.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    so we all know that the first requirement of a Toy is that it's something that is Made, the making is what pours the soul in and makes something like forky or sporky or whatevva da fuk his name was

but how little making is required

is a ball and stick a Toy

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    A hockey puck is a toy, so yes.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    The same thing that makes a vehicle a vehicle in the Cars universe I hope this has answered your question.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    so we all know that the first requirement of a Toy is that it's something that is Made, the making is what pours the soul in and makes something like forky or sporky or whatevva da fuk his name was

I think it's some combination of making and anthropomorphizing on behalf of the child/children

If an object is "brought" to life through play then it really comes to life. For instance, Bopeep ISN'T a toy, she's a lamp, but she was played with like a toy and that gave her life

If you're just playing with a ball and stick then they're just a ball and stick. If you are imagining that the ball and stick have personalities, they become toys

• Options

I think it's some combination of making and anthropomorphizing on behalf of the child/children

If an object is "brought" to life through play then it really comes to life. For instance, Bopeep ISN'T a toy, she's a lamp, but she was played with like a toy and that gave her life

If you're just playing with a ball and stick then they're just a ball and stick. If you are imagining that the ball and stick have personalities, they become toys

We do see toys that are still in-packaging as having Toyness before they have the opportunity to be physically handled by children though

So now we're entering into territory where we have to ask if it requires a Child to imagine them as having play, or if the adults making them being conscious of them being toys also provides the spark

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The toys are possessed by demons

• Options

fiafv265wp4n.jpeg
    So a bat or at least the ball is a Toy.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Do any of the living toys in the Toy Stories have neither eye and/or limb analogues?

Veldrin on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Does it have to be a toy played with by a child or do more adult toys count, like cars and power tools.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Well, I'd argue the hockey puck has neither when humans are around, but I have no evidence.
    There appears to be a toy car with limbs instead of wheels in Sid's room, which might imply normal toy cars with wheels and no limbs or eyes are Toys.

discrider on
  • Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Do any of the living toys in the Toy Stories have neither eye and/or limb analogues?

the etch a sketch

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Why do the cars in cars have seats?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

vestigial evolutionary trait that just isn't selected out

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

Why do they have locks on their doors

• Options

Like an appendix? Do they ever get them removed? You'd figure a high performance race car like lightning would benefit from less weight.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    If a child plays with it it becomes a living, feeling being with consciousness. No exceptions.

Existence is suffering. They all want to die.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    do sex toys count

Garthor on
  • Options
    Eh, vestigial in a 'we just overthrew the car-people oppressors' way I think.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    The hockey puck is clearly supposed to be some weird mascot merch not an actual puck.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

We do see toys that are still in-packaging as having Toyness before they have the opportunity to be physically handled by children though

So now we're entering into territory where we have to ask if it requires a Child to imagine them as having play, or if the adults making them being conscious of them being toys also provides the spark

I think in the case of say a buzz light-year the packaged toys are brought to life not by an individual child but by the collective imagination of all children, as influenced through buzz light-year advertising

A similar thing could likely be said of Stinky Pete, though it is noteworthy that he's retained his sentience decades after he was forgotten by popular culture. This implies that the process is one-way, and once an object gains toy-life it can never lose it

• Options

Like an appendix? Do they ever get them removed? You'd figure a high performance race car like lightning would benefit from less weight.

well ultimately a car is not well suited to performing optional surgery on someone

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

well ultimately a car is not well suited to performing optional surgery on someone

But wasn't that part of the premise of one of the sequels?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the answer is Spite

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yes once made, a toy lives as long as its mortal vessel remains intact. Potentially for hundreds of years. Perhaps thousands.

Should this vessel be destroyed entirely where, then, does the soul go? Does it know paradise? Or, being not of the flesh, is it apart from God, and so damned there to Gehenna?

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Yes once made, a toy lives as long as its normal vessel remains intact.

Should this vessel be destroyed entirely where, then, does the soul go? Does it know paradise? Or, being not of the flesh, is it apart from God, and so damned there to Gehenna?

Ask Sid

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    What about collectables

Are most funko pops condemned to speechless agony

• Options
    god I hope so

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    unfortunately toys aren’t real

• Options
    now plastic robot models, on the other hand

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Does Goku exist in the toy story universe

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular

The RC car?

• Options
    Can bootleg toys gain sentience or just their true selves?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

The RC car?

Pretty sure it had headlight eyes.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If you buy one of those 500 piece model sets is it alive immediately in all of those individual pieces or only after you finish putting it together

• Options
    WE ARE LEGION

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

The RC car?

Pretty sure it had headlight eyes.

I immediately thought of Etch but maybe the knobs would be thought of as limbs of some kind

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Also the magic 8 ball but the movie is actually very ambiguous over whether that’s autonomous or not

Also Mike and Mr Spell and that’s only from the first act of the first movie!

Javen on
  • Options
    Could a toy play with a toy and thus create life? Is there a toy universe hiding from the toys?

Is existence a never ending Matryoshka doll of toys hiding from toys hiding from toys?