Options

The Difference Between [Chat]s and Dogs

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Had some company at my reading spot.

EfE35G-WsAEfRo0?format=jpg&name=medium

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    As a private citizen landlord renting out a single property, it can be kind of nerve wracking to find a tenant who can pay reliably, because you have all this money tied up in the property and one renter who falls on hard times transfers those hard times directly to you.

My husband rents out his old condo a bit below market and makes basically nothing off it, just trying to cover the bills, upkeep it, and give people a nice place to live. It was purchased before we moved in together, not as an investment property, and it was either sell it or rent it out. But renting it out on thin margins means that any issue with payment means we are out thousands of dollars suddenly.

Our landlord has mentioned that if he rents the place we have out too cheaply, they "lose money," but I'm not sure what he means. The "too cheaply" is ~1100, which'd make sense if it was an individual place, but it's a basement apartment, and we do not cost 1100 in utilities, and are zero in taxes. I guess there's upkeep? Is there something I'm missing here?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    As a private citizen landlord renting out a single property, it can be kind of nerve wracking to find a tenant who can pay reliably, because you have all this money tied up in the property and one renter who falls on hard times transfers those hard times directly to you.

My husband rents out his old condo a bit below market and makes basically nothing off it, just trying to cover the bills, upkeep it, and give people a nice place to live. It was purchased before we moved in together, not as an investment property, and it was either sell it or rent it out. But renting it out on thin margins means that any issue with payment means we are out thousands of dollars suddenly.

Our landlord has mentioned that if he rents the place we have out too cheaply, they "lose money," but I'm not sure what he means. The "too cheaply" is ~1100, which'd make sense if it was an individual place, but it's a basement apartment, and we do not cost 1100 in utilities, and are zero in taxes. I guess there's upkeep? Is there something I'm missing here?

Maybe he has a mortgage?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Is there a mortgage on the house?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Oops i mis remembered. Ff origins has the fixes to spells and items and such but nit the mp system.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I am glad they are both enjoying each other.

mhz09czsatmj.png

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Aioua wrote: »

There might be! I'm not sure how that makes a difference though - he makes it sound like our presence is costing them money and I don't understand how that's possible excepting utilities and upkeep.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Not to poke the Konky Dong, but maybe increase rent to cover rent guarantee insurance. So that if they don't pay their rent, you can file an insurance claim to get it back...eventually.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    @Echo

Been back to using kettle bells and dumbbells for stuff. Also getting back into calisthenics so training for handstands, planches, and muscle ups.

It's really fun

tyrannus on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    Mine dropped by 75 points when I got my mortgage.

Then 6 months later it was up by like 150.

Credit is weird.

I always figured this one was like "ok this is the largest loan payment they've ever had to make, let's see if they can actually do it..."

I like how credit absolutely does not take into account paying rent, ever, in how they calculate it.

"Oh bowen's been paying $1500 a month for several years, well how do I know he can afford a $500 a month mortgage payment???"

Like I'd literally let everything else go versus my mortgage, papa needs that roof over his head.

On the flip side, if rent was included in credit reports, it would make it far easier for landlords to deny housing to poor or minority tenants who may have missed a few payments in the past.

It’s part of why a credit score is usually only one input for any large loan, like a mortgage. A bank will also want to see tax returns and other financial statements.

THEY ALREADY DO THAT
    Tax returns for the previous 2 years, a list of all assets, explanations of any deposits for the past 6 months, pay stub, current bank account balance, employment verification, verification of good standing with your rental place for the previous 2 years.

They uh, go for broke.

Fuck that's more onerous than my mortgage application.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    xagg4rledvx4.png

if @arch were in charge

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

There might be! I'm not sure how that makes a difference though - he makes it sound like our presence is costing them money and I don't understand how that's possible excepting utilities and upkeep.

Any sort of tax on having a renter?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Doing more than one Hand stand push-ups is a dream 😍

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I really don't mind when a company goes 100% online and asynchronous with support. Text chat agents range from as bad as calling to way better than calling. I never gave a shit about the "human connection" because for my entire life the people who answer the phone every company have been underpaid 3rd party contractors reading from a script. That isn't the human connection I am looking for.

But all that said, it is ludicrous when a company takes all their support online, cuts off phone contact entirely, and then their fucking app or website breaks and there's a time sensitive issue, and you have no way whatsoever to contact them, it's just like what in the fuck.

I wish people could be trusted to not call a phone number unless it's an emergency, and use the online service options, but they cannot. They will just call every time, constantly, for every tiny thing. So the phone number has to go away entirely. And then the tech system hiccups and people are wholly abandoned because they have no recourse whatsoever.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Any sort of tax on having a renter?

Could be, I am not very well versed in the laws in BC, and everything rental has been messed up lately because of the new taxes designed to reduce foreign speculation.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I mean NCIS aren't really cops either. More like the Navy version of the FBI.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Work not particularly supportive of WfH or self quarantining with symptoms.

Have the very mild symptom of a sore throat and a weird taste in my mouth, plus gums bled when toothbrushes. Probably some sort of gum or mouth thing.

I have a dentist appointment this Friday.

All testing available except walk-ins at an ER takes a week to get results.

Guess I'm going to an ER for a walk-in rapid later today out of an abundance of caution.

Wooooooooo...

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    g4wqjla1ou9p.jpg

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I really don't mind when a company goes 100% online and asynchronous with support. Text chat agents range from as bad as calling to way better than calling. I never gave a shit about the "human connection" because for my entire life the people who answer the phone every company have been underpaid 3rd party contractors reading from a script. That isn't the human connection I am looking for.

But all that said, it is ludicrous when a company takes all their support online, cuts off phone contact entirely, and then their fucking app or website breaks and there's a time sensitive issue, and you have no way whatsoever to contact them, it's just like what in the fuck.

I wish people could be trusted to not call a phone number unless it's an emergency, and use the online service options, but they cannot. They will just call every time, constantly, for every tiny thing. So the phone number has to go away entirely. And then the tech system hiccups and people are wholly abandoned because they have no recourse whatsoever.

The solve for this is not having a call-in number.

triage through the text function, and escalate to a callback. Provide no direct dial point of entry, but staff the callback function to be 24/7 based on real volume.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Six wrote: »
    Mine dropped by 75 points when I got my mortgage.

Then 6 months later it was up by like 150.

Credit is weird.

I always figured this one was like "ok this is the largest loan payment they've ever had to make, let's see if they can actually do it..."

I like how credit absolutely does not take into account paying rent, ever, in how they calculate it.

"Oh bowen's been paying $1500 a month for several years, well how do I know he can afford a $500 a month mortgage payment???"

Like I'd literally let everything else go versus my mortgage, papa needs that roof over his head.

On the flip side, if rent was included in credit reports, it would make it far easier for landlords to deny housing to poor or minority tenants who may have missed a few payments in the past.

It’s part of why a credit score is usually only one input for any large loan, like a mortgage. A bank will also want to see tax returns and other financial statements.

THEY ALREADY DO THAT
    Tax returns for the previous 2 years, a list of all assets, explanations of any deposits for the past 6 months, pay stub, current bank account balance, employment verification, verification of good standing with your rental place for the previous 2 years.

They uh, go for broke.

Fuck that's more onerous than my mortgage application.
    There are two of us, and neither of us have owned a property before, and because we got married about 2 years before hand, it was a whole thing. Our mortgage broker was incredible though, he had everything ready, and responded to any phone call or email within 4 hours. Had our approval to our realtor within an hour of asking. He was just great, we tried to go through our credit union first, and they took 2 weeks to tell us we didn't qualify, and didn't answer any questions, and were total tools about the whole thing.

• Options

Maybe he has a mortgage?

It's kind of something landlords misconstrue though.

Even in DK's post he's trying to lead the conversation a bit that they are suddenly "out" thousands of dollars. It's true, they are at a loss making up a balance sheet on a budget, sure. However, they are putting that same money into equity on a property, so they didn't actually lose anything unless they can't make their monthly budget. So as long as you don't put yourself in the red on this property on purpose hoping for rent to keep you solvent, you're not out any money.

That said, there are plenty of landlords who do that and fuck themselves over.

In several decades, DK's husband will more than make up for any loss they ever had unless they sell when the market collapses again.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

like one handed pushup or

or one hand-stand pushup or

one one-handed hand-stand pushup or

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options

Excuse me this is an emergency. My google is broken and I can't find the email for where I'm meeting my grandson for brunch, but it's in half an hour and I am going to be late. No I will not hold, let me speak to your manager.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

standing one push-up

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

To be fair, a lot of folks are completely inept at written conversation. I once had a trainee who was so bad at writing that I got frustrated and told him "English doesn't work that way".

He was a pretty standard American English-only white guy.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    y0xwt5u0cczi.png

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »

I mean technically she is a collaborator...

She also might be one of the few areas where "fix it from the inside" actually can happen?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    y0xwt5u0cczi.png

those are words in some sort of order

• Options
    Then there are people like me, who will say "no, it's... fine, it's not an emergency, I will hold. I have at least eight minutes before I pass out from blood loss, so we're good."

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

In my husband's case, it's high local taxes (which literally double when renting), utilities, mortgage interest, and a high condo association fee. Maintenance is not much, stuff doesn't break all that often. It works out to about $1000 per year.

If we weren't renting out the unit, we'd sell it and not incur any of those costs.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    y0xwt5u0cczi.png

This is real "don't hex the moon" energy.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    nr37cqbj7ml5.png

• Options
    Our landlord is A+ maximum Canadian very kind and friendly, went shopping for us when we were quarantined from moving from the US, dropped prices hundreds of dollars just... man, I don't remember why, just because covid sucks I guess, and he has empathy? Which is why the comment about "losing money" got super flagged in my brain as weird, because it feels manipulative, but I don't think he meant it that way and he gets many benefits of the various doubts, so there's just a big ??? on what was meant there.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    We could solve all these renting problems with one simple abolishing of private property

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah what Bowen said.

It's probably that (say) the mortgage is 2500, they're charging 1100 in rent, they get 700 of that after tax, so they've budged their own mortgage payment as 1800, so any less rental income and they're "losing" money to the mortgage

worst case I guess is that their mortgage budgeted amount is literally all they can afford with their work income so if rental income drops they're paying out of savings, or just not paying

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    We started watching a show called Broadchurch and my verdict as of episode 1 is that it rules

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I assume it's an opportunity cost thing, where they need X amount of rental income to balance the budget.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Maybe he has a mortgage?

It's kind of something landlords misconstrue though.

Even in DK's post he's trying to lead the conversation a bit that they are suddenly "out" thousands of dollars. It's true, they are at a loss making up a balance sheet on a budget, sure. However, they are putting that same money into equity on a property, so they didn't actually lose anything unless they can't make their monthly budget. So as long as you don't put yourself in the red on this property on purpose hoping for rent to keep you solvent, you're not out any money.

That said, there are plenty of landlords who do that and fuck themselves over.

In several decades, DK's husband will more than make up for any loss they ever had unless they sell when the market collapses again.

That's not strictly true though because housing doesn't always outpace inflation and houses have carrying costs that are lost no matter what - upkeep, property taxes and other fees, mortgage interest are all real losses

And they are out money because the alternative is to sell and use the proceeds to invest in something else. An unoccupied house is literally just housing market returns minus carrying costs and that's not going to be very good

• Options
    I know DK wasn't trying to be a jerk landlord but all the landlords I knew do that same song and dance when they make dumb business decisions. Buy up 10 houses then act shocked when they can't rent them for $2000 a month when the same house costs $400+taxes ($900), and slowly creep down to $1400 a month and are riding that red fucking line because they didn't account for buyer/renter's markets.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

standing one push-up

... a squat?

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.