Options

Welcome to the Exclusive PA [Wrestling] Thread

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    exr59w8vdpk51.jpg

You do need to take in to account that NXT has twice as much show to fill now as the did before the move to USA. That said, they could pump the brakes a bit. Hopefully if they do move to Tuesday permanently they’ll pull back on some of the urgency they’ve been booking with.

Totally disagree no reason with the absurd roster of NXT talent you can’t have singles and tags

This reeks of panic booking

• Options
    Lol they mistimed Sammy again

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Let it be known, nobody busts a nut when Jake Roberts is in the ring.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The NWA womens champ is reviving AEW's womens division.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    exr59w8vdpk51.jpg

You do need to take in to account that NXT has twice as much show to fill now as the did before the move to USA.

SD's had that amount of time to fill and hasn't had one cage match in its entire Fox run so far
    Raw's had more time to fill and hasn't had one cage match since December 2018
    (info per cagematch)

edit: Anyway the real thing I came to post, Renee talking about her COVID situation
    I generally just like to be transparent about everything. I like to just be honest. There's no shame in having got it. Again we don't know what's going on with anything. We're all trying to figure it out. So when I tweeted that I had it, I wasn't doing it as, like, 'I GOT COVID.' That was not my MO when I tweeted. It was mostly, 'Hey, I have it.' Also, in case there were people that could've been around me and maybe seen that I had it, I felt a responsibility to make sure people knew that I was sick. But, yeah, it was NOT well received [by WWE]. They weren't even like 'You shouldn't have posted it.' But it was like, 'We wish you gave us a heads up.' It was bad for PR and whatnot. But again, I wouldn't have even thought to be like, "Hey guys, I'm gonna tweet that I have Covid, ha, ha." Like, that was just not what I was thinking about when I posted it.

Listen, anything I say on this is gonna end up seeming like controversial or like I'm shitting on it or whatever, but, yeah, did I feel a little slighted? I didn't really feel like anyone was all that concerned that I got sick. That bothered me for sure. But, you know, it's hard to say. Again, it's like, shit, the show goes on and now they're working at the Amway Center and they're essentially doing the best that they can NOW. Now doing the proper tests. I think that was something that should've been implemented from the beginning. Since everything that's gone down and however many people ended up getting sick, now it feels like a much safer environment. Even when I was there for SummerSlam, I was definitely less concerned about it knowing that everyone in the building has been properly tested with the nose swab and whatnot.

It was shocking. It was really shocking to see that this was deemed essential business. That made it seem like, hold on a second here. I was not traveling for a while. I was doing stuff from home. I was like, 'I just don't need to be there.' Especially when you look at what I was doing on the shows at that time. ... For me to fly from Las Vegas to Orlando when you have Kayla Braxton local in Orlando, you have Sarah Schreiber local in Orlando, Charley Caruso was spending most of her time in Florida, there were hands on deck that didn't have to travel, so for me to feel like I had to actually still had to get on a plane and go do it was like, "Oh my God. For what? What are we doing here?" It felt insane to me.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    That Thunder Rosa match was really good. I hope she sticks around.

• Options
    I can't believe they've built up Swole vs Britt for two months and its not on the PPV.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    exr59w8vdpk51.jpg

You do need to take in to account that NXT has twice as much show to fill now as the did before the move to USA. That said, they could pump the brakes a bit. Hopefully if they do move to Tuesday permanently they’ll pull back on some of the urgency they’ve been booking with.

Totally disagree no reason with the absurd roster of NXT talent you can’t have singles and tags

This reeks of panic booking

Yeah, the problem isn't the shift to two hours, but rather that NXT is on TV at all and suddenly has to focus on ratings. It means instead of the slow, deliberate booking that NXT was known for, they've had to constantly pull out gimmicks and title matches in order to bump up ratings.

My only caveat here is that AEW has been doing the exact same thing regarding booking, and honestly they haven't been putting out their best shows since the pandemic hit. My question might actually be how does AEW react if NXT moves to Tuesdays. We know NXT has the ability to take its time and tell meaningful stories, but AEW has struggled in this regard and has no history of being able to pull it off.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I can't believe they've built up Swole vs Britt for two months and its not on the PPV.

Look they already booked a women's title match for the PPV and you know we can't have more than one women's match on a show.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

Look they already booked a women's title match for the PPV and you know we can't have more than one women's match on a show.

It’s much more important that we get Dark Order vs Friends of Cody or a #1 contenders match between the Bucks vs Jurassic Express. Why would you put a match you’ve been building to for months on the main card? That would be silly.

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

I was willing to let the tooth and nail stipulation slide, but also being on the preshow is too much.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of either Swole or Britt but it definitely should be on the main show (preferably without whatever tooth related shenanigans are going to make me turn away). I also feel like we're in for a Sammy/Hardy match that will go on far too long given the stipulations.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Listening to the AEW pod this morning (which it sounds like they recorded after Dynamite last night), it sounds like the Britt/Swole match will be a pre-taped, off-site thing. Which is probably smart if there are still any questions about Britt's knee. But it certainly should be on the main card over the battle royal or Bucks/Express.

• Options
    Were they actually attempting to censor cursing on AEW last night? I don't remember them ever trying to do that.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Were they actually attempting to censor cursing on AEW last night? I don't remember them ever trying to do that.

Yup! And missed every time.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Re: This week's Dark and Dynamite:

1. Dani Jordyn is getting better and better and if they're going to start farming younger talent like Anna Jay, she's a pretty good prospect IMHO. Red Velvet as well.
    2. Brandi feuding with Anna Jay could be cool, but doing it on Dark sucks. I think feeding Anna dark matches for now is fine but let's see these two go at it on Dynamite please.
    3. The Initiative breaking up wounds me. It feels like they never really intended to do anything with this storyline. They put them together to fill a tag team vacancy, and now that we're having 8-man tag matches constantly, they split them back up to job singles matches.
    4. I feel like the Nightmare Family vs Dark Order can only be interesting if someone does a surprise turn and becomes Dark Order. Dark Order should not lose this match, it's way too early in their new reign, payback without Cody will be lame. Alternatively, Cody surprises everyone and joins the match at the last minute, that'd be cool.
    5. Hey AEW, guys, if you're breaking each other open constantly by accident, then okay I guess, but if not, there is color goddamn everywhere every week. It's not necessary at all to prove to me that someone's had the shit beaten out of them, save it for the PPV.
    6. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Cassidy vs Jericho kinda bores me at this point. They've pretty much ruined Orange Cassidy for me by doing this with him. Hopefully they have a great match this weekend and it pushes Cassidy's career but after Part 2 of their feud I'm underwhelmed. Also having Joey Janela job that hard hurt me. It's Chris Jericho in the ring, sure, but daredevil meat grinder and subject of the documentary "Please Don't Die Joey Janela" Joey fucking Janela should not be tapping out to a submission hold in 0.2 seconds.
    7. Thunder Rosa is awesome. Now book her against some AEW talent after this next PPV instead of having her sit the sidelines for weeks like everyone else.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    4. I feel like the Nightmare Family vs Dark Order can only be interesting if someone does a surprise turn and becomes Dark Order. Dark Order should not lose this match, it's way too early in their new reign, payback without Cody will be lame. Alternatively, Cody surprises everyone and joins the match at the last minute, that'd be cool.

I get the feeling that QT is going to end up turning on the Nightmare Family and joining Dark Order. Did you notice how that vignette had a bit to hype up everyone on the Nightmare Family side except him?
    8. Thunder Rosa is awesome. Now book her against some AEW talent after this next PPV instead of having her sit the sidelines for weeks like everyone else.

100% agree. Since the NWA isn't running shows for the foreseeable future, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep them involved with AEW for the time being, and Thunder Rosa definitely brings a lot to the women's division.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Re: This week's Dark and Dynamite:

6. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Cassidy vs Jericho kinda bores me at this point. They've pretty much ruined Orange Cassidy for me by doing this with him. Hopefully they have a great match this weekend and it pushes Cassidy's career but after Part 2 of their feud I'm underwhelmed. Also having Joey Janela job that hard hurt me. It's Chris Jericho in the ring, sure, but daredevil meat grinder and subject of the documentary "Please Don't Die Joey Janela" Joey fucking Janela should not be tapping out to a submission hold in 0.2 seconds.

obvs jericho is driving this whole thing which I think is why it's so cloying...

I am tentatively okay with it... as it brings Cassidy to the forefront... and after this hopefully Cassidy can do his own thing in his own style

but if Cassidy loses this match I'm going to be mad on the internet, because then it makes it seem like Jericho was just using Cassidy for another 2-3 months of extra relevance

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    obvs jericho is driving this whole thing which I think is why it's so cloying...

I am tentatively okay with it... as it brings Cassidy to the forefront... and after this hopefully Cassidy can do his own thing in his own style

but if Cassidy loses this match I'm going to be mad on the internet, because then it makes it seem like Jericho was just using Cassidy for another 2-3 months of extra relevance
    One of my friends, who is a much more hardcore fan of wrestling than I, has a running joke that the older wrestlers essentially turn into succubi and try to suck the hype / talent / relevance from new(er) or rising talent.

I laugh every time and he's been able to make the joke far too often over the last decade.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Thunder Rosa looked great, but I think it's also worth mentioning Serena Deeb put on as good a match as I've seen in the women's division of AEW with her. They were both excellent, I would argue Deeb felt more polished in the ring than a fair chunk of their normal roster.

• Options
    The #1 problem with the women's division is that their matches are generally underwhelming.

It's fun to watch their newer talent learn the ropes on Dark, and seeing Anna Jay progress quickly is fun (and hell at this point they're having people job to her which is insanely fast to start doing that but I have zero complaints). But a lot of the top-tier women's matches have been bad for a variety of reasons, sometimes just bad luck with the flu, sometimes I wonder how the match is being called, sometimes they just botch like crazy. Shida vs Ford is maybe the last really good match we've seen for some time now. The last really good one I can remember is Shida vs Riho. The only good tag match in the tournament was JayTay vs Evalisse and Diamante, which, btw, where are they?

So I could understand wanting to fix that so that Dynamite's ratings don't tank. But the answer isn't to book them less, it's to put on better matches and fix whatever is plaguing the division with bad ones.

At the end of the day I'd still rather see a bad women's match than Joey Janela jobbing to Jericho by way of promoting the Cassidy vs Jericho match that barely requires promoting further.

• Options
    Oh also I'm happy to see Excalibur is back but I'm pretty sad that Veda is gone.

Keep Veda and lose JR please.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Isn't the end game of The Initiative break up a singles match where one of them has to finally pick up a W?

It may not be the story we wanted, but it is a direction and makes sense. Avalon never really turned face.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    jonny439jonny439 Registered User regular
    Dynamite last night didn’t do a lot to get me excited for the PPV but can’t really do anything else this weekend so I will probably end up getting it.
    Thawmus really hit the nail on the head with the blading shit. Having 2 guys busted open in the same night was overkill. Especially since it didn’t help the build between Cassidy and Jericho. Why would Cassidy care that Jericho beat up Janella? Maybe I’m missing something from Dark with that? Mox getting the beat down after his “match” seems to indicate he will retain. Weird booking to have a “lawyer”have a match with Mox when Wardlow is right there.

Whatever they need to do to keep Thunder Rosa around they should do it.

I didn’t watch NXT this week because the iron man match got spoiled. I hope the rumors of NXT moving to Tuesday are true. The Wednesday night war shit has been a bust in my opinion.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    I don't see NXT moving to Tuesday. It would be better for everyone if they did, but I get the idea WWE would see that as admitting defeat.

The only way I see it happening is if USA forces the issue.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Apparently Cody is off for an acting Job and I just seen this

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The backstage bit with Hager sitting down right next to Cassidy made me think with just a minor haircut change and the right wardrobe, Hager could easily look like a great big Orange Cassidy.

And now I really wanna see Hager defect and turn to the orange side.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Gonna say that if I didn't know what the fuck Heels was before....I sure as shit still don't now.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Gonna say that if I didn't know what the fuck Heels was before....I sure as shit still don't now.

A new TV show Stephen Amell is making about a small family indie biz.

Unrelated to the AEW paid women's club.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://luchacentral.com/cartoon-network-latin-america-announces-original-production-agreement-with-rey-mysterio-along-with-viva-calavera/

Cartoon Network Latin America is doing an animated Rey Mysterio series, announced earlier today.
    Rey Mysterio will tell the story of one of the most iconic luchador, a figure admired by all and star of the ring, but he will also delve into a great secret: unimaginable forces threaten our world and he will be a fundamental part of that fight. When their number one fan discovers this secret, together they will immerse themselves in a world where the excitement and adrenaline of wrestling coexists with mystery, mythology, history, magic and supernatural beings.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://luchacentral.com/cartoon-network-latin-america-announces-original-production-agreement-with-rey-mysterio-along-with-viva-calavera/

Cartoon Network Latin America is doing an animated Rey Mysterio series, announced earlier today.
    Rey Mysterio will tell the story of one of the most iconic luchador, a figure admired by all and star of the ring, but he will also delve into a great secret: unimaginable forces threaten our world and he will be a fundamental part of that fight. When their number one fan discovers this secret, together they will immerse themselves in a world where the excitement and adrenaline of wrestling coexists with mystery, mythology, history, magic and supernatural beings.

Its a reverse Tiger Mask.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mucha Lucha!

In my head I refer to the 630 as "Ricochet's Pulverizing Pinball".

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    That premise is some straight-up El Santo lucha movie shit, and I am here for it

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Taz, Schiavone, and Veda would be a good commentary team if they are dedicated to a three person team.

I know this is a couple hundred posts back but I’m not caught up yet so I’m reading forum posts at the rate of the shows I watch. :P

Initially, I really liked the Excalibur/Taz pair. Then over the past few weeks it was Tony/Taz, and I got to thinking “Hey, this is even funnier for Dark.” Especially when Taz has to try to tell Tony about Polyhedral Dice and just mangles the word... which is a bit that would not have been as funny had the E/T team not set it up.

I liked the addition of Veda, but sometimes it felt like she was missing from the conversations, until it was a women’s match and there it felt like a fully functioning 3 person team. Either way, yes, more of them.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    That premise is some straight-up El Santo lucha movie shit, and I am here for it

Reminds me of Jackie Chan Adventures and El Toro Fuerte, which is certainly just a reference to that as well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I hope we get it here.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Google Santo vs Los Clones. That was Cartoon Network too. The entire thing runs like 12 mins.

Ken O on
    http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    WWE also just fired AOP (Akam and Rezar)

Beyond still being the only wrestling company thus far that's actively fired people in the middle of a plague, they fired Rezar months after he tore his bicep (an injury he's still not fully recovered from)

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

I would love to see them try and prove that last part in a court of law since they're independent contractors.

Magell on
This discussion has been closed.