As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's New Consoles! XSX Nov 10, PS5 Nov 12

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    excellent work

Please provide a full review.
    Well okay then.

Physical installation was easy, I already had an open spot next to my TV, I just had to run all the appropriate cables. Then came the software set-up, and woof, that was a pain. I'd say it was all on my end, but it was not. 90% on my end, but the last 10% was annoying as heck. Apparently you shouldn't connect the ethernet cable until after you power on the console, specifically when it asks for it. Because I plugged it in when I plugged everything else in, the console was having a hell of a time trying to connect to the internet. Also immediately crashing the XBox app on my phone whenever it tried to test the connection, which meant starting the set-up process all over again. The other issues were on my end, mostly having to do with how I run my network and whatnot. Anyway, all that got done, and so I could update the console (and surprisingly the controller) and get to whatever they call the main screen. Then I got to spend however long downloading/installing a couple of games.

tl;dr I have a magical box that brings me Forza Horizon 4 in 4k, so it's Console Of The Year.

sig.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Sorce wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »
    excellent work

Please provide a full review.
    Well okay then.

Physical installation was easy, I already had an open spot next to my TV, I just had to run all the appropriate cables. Then came the software set-up, and woof, that was a pain. I'd say it was all on my end, but it was not. 90% on my end, but the last 10% was annoying as heck. Apparently you shouldn't connect the ethernet cable until after you power on the console, specifically when it asks for it. Because I plugged it in when I plugged everything else in, the console was having a hell of a time trying to connect to the internet. Also immediately crashing the XBox app on my phone whenever it tried to test the connection, which meant starting the set-up process all over again. The other issues were on my end, mostly having to do with how I run my network and whatnot. Anyway, all that got done, and so I could update the console (and surprisingly the controller) and get to whatever they call the main screen. Then I got to spend however long downloading/installing a couple of games.

tl;dr I have a magical box that brings me Forza Horizon 4 in 4k, so it's Console Of The Year.

Thanks this was really informative. At some point I'm going to get a new Xbox so the Ethernet cable issue is good to know

Karl on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Oh, and you need to do the setting up from the official XBox app on your phone/tablet. You type the code that pops on the TV into the app, it'll connect directly with the console itself (it sets up a temporary wireless AP) and does the rest of the setup that way.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My PS5 was in St Paul 2 hours ago and I live 2 hours from St Paul.

It might be in my town right now.

But it probably won’t be delivered until tomorrow.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

10 free games coming for PS4/5
    March 25-April 22nd:
    • Enter The Gungeon
    • Abzu
    • Subnautica
    • Rez Infinite
    • Paper Beast
    • Thumper
    • Moss
    • The Witness
    • Astro Bot Rescue Mission
    • An "extended free trial" of the Funimation/Wakanim (depending on region) anime streaming service

April 19-May14:
    • Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    why not metroid prime 4?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    why not metroid prime 4?

They had to restart development.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting those free games do not require a PS Plus account, they are just free.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So the new Xboxes have a bug in how they report bandwidth usage

Or Microsoft is secretly running a datacenter out of every Xbox.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Are you POSITIVE you didn't just download 15 million copies of Banjo-Kazooie and then forget about it?

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Are you POSITIVE you didn't just download 15 million copies of Banjo-Kazooie and then forget about it?

We all celebrate black history month in our own ways.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    why not metroid prime 4?

They had to restart development.

damn, playstation 6...

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Woo just beat Miles Morales in PS5. Wow, what a game!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

First details on the new controller for next-gen VR on PS5: https://t.co/KnYKMEayR2

Stronger immersion with adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, finger-touch detection and more. https://t.co/4UApycgja4

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    they really want people to care about their vr still huh

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    The only game I want VR for is Beat Saber

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    The only game I want VR for is Beat Saber

But what about RE7?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Brolo wrote: »

First details on the new controller for next-gen VR on PS5: https://t.co/KnYKMEayR2

Stronger immersion with adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, finger-touch detection and more. https://t.co/4UApycgja4

i had the extra cash, so i bought an Occulus Rift 2 and its crazy to me (having owned a PSVR) how great those controllers are.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options

Welcoming @Evo into the PlayStation family: https://t.co/I3J5iOKhha

Sony Interactive Entertainment and new esports venture RTS have jointly acquired the Evolution Championship Series https://t.co/efOkbf61lU

What.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I mean, I’d like to care about VR, it seems real cool

It’s just prohibitively expensive to do so

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    huh.

Makes sense, EVO's still the big name in town but was as good as dead without a leadership overhaul. Opportunity for a big company to take over

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I get the impression that in Japan at least PSVR is still synonymous with consumer grade VR stuff

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    no more smash I guess lmao

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    or KI

• Options
    Wait fuck that means no more KI either, damn it

• Options
    All Playstation All-Stars, all the time.

Funny as Xbox becomes THE place for console shooters and western RPG's, Sony apparently is becoming a larger part of the Fighting genre.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If PSVR gets better controllers it is like 80% of the way to being great

The last step would just be tracking that isn't total fucking garbage

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    So I think I just got a PS5 from Walmart. I question it because while I got a confirmation popup and I can see it listed as preparing on their track order page I noticed a possible problem in the details. The shipping address is correct, but the billing address is an old address from nearly two years ago. I used the saved card which is still my card so I didn't even think to try and edit it to see what address it had tied to it. Here's hoping it doesn't get canceled.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    New website online and tournament already announced, EVO Online 2021 August 6-8 and 13-15
    https://www.evo.gg/

aFrryyF.png
    All gaming platforms will remain welcome at Evo. Stay tuned for more game announcements.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    So I think I just got a PS5 from Walmart. I question it because while I got a confirmation popup and I can see it listed as preparing on their track order page I noticed a possible problem in the details. The shipping address is correct, but the billing address is an old address from nearly two years ago. I used the saved card which is still my card so I didn't even think to try and edit it to see what address it had tied to it. Here's hoping it doesn't get canceled.

Email customer service before it ships.

• Options
    Mark Julio (マークマン)
    @MarkMan23
    ·
    37m
    Also very important to note. @EVO is still open to all platforms. The teams at PlayStation and RTS are enabling us to continue working with our community to support fighting games.

(Markman is a business guy for EVO and community manager for Bandai-Namco)

• Options

Email customer service before it ships.

Good idea. I can see the charge with my credit card company as pending, but best to be safe.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    fingers crossed for you

i was trying every 10 minutes for the past 2 hours and they sold out within 20 seconds each time

edit: i think i like playstation direct's system the best; everyone gets into the waiting room at the same time, then they put everyone in a random place in line and have a bar for your progress. it's still all luck, but it's better than mashing refresh and trying to get through captchas

last queue i got to like 20 minutes left before they sold out, which is much better than the bar not moving at all when this first started

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Ubik wrote: »
    fingers crossed for you

i was trying every 10 minutes for the past 2 hours and they sold out within 20 seconds each time

edit: i think i like playstation direct's system the best; everyone gets into the waiting room at the same time, then they put everyone in a random place in line and have a bar for your progress. it's still all luck, but it's better than mashing refresh and trying to get through captchas

last queue i got to like 20 minutes left before they sold out, which is much better than the bar not moving at all when this first started

Yeah I was camping Amazon all morning and Walmart since 2:50 trying at every ten minute refresh with both desktop browser and app. Finally got one in the cart at 4:40.

Did a chat with support and they assured me it would be delivered to the proper address, which wasn't really my concern. They also said they updated the billing address, but so far on the tracking page it is still showing the incorrect billing address so who knows at this point.

AngrySquirrel on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Can't wait to check out the next console generation in mid-2024.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Olivaw wrote: »

I mean, I’d like to care about VR, it seems real cool

It’s just prohibitively expensive to do so

the tech is cool but the only game I think is worth playing on it that isnt a glorified tech demo is maybe beat saber? there's no, like, big game for it exclusively imo. and I dont know if optional vr modes of non VR games like re7 count (which in that example I think actually make it worse not better)

which combined with the price

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    killer apps are definitely the issue with VR, there's only a handful of game mechanic ideas people have tried that have really been Good and only doable in VR like beat saber.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Isn’t moss quite good too? If they could get half-life Alyx I’d be interested, but I doubt valve will do that

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Alyx is an extremely polished AAA VR game and one of the best games I played last year, and people immediately forgot it existed (except for like Gamespot weirdly enough).

Shit is just niche yo.

• Options
    it is niche because it's like, is this better than just making a normal 3D adventure game? the inability to smoothly move around environments without teleporting is a big negative to all the games that are trying to do 3D first person games but in VR to me.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.