As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Case Law

Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So. I need some case law. Sorta.

With the recent development of the striking down of the the Dugald E Christie case by the Supreme Court, I'm looking for cases that have bee effect by the BC 7% tax on court cases.

Anyone on the legal/journalistic scene that can help me out or tell me where to look?

Bryse Eayo on

• Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, I don't think law archives generally track why people self represent or whatever. But if you could do a search for courses where there was self representation, and I'm not sure it'll be that easy either, but if you could, you could probably narrow it down to instances where the individuals didn't have the resources necessary to hire a lawyer.

Although turning that into a list of cases where the individuals WOULD have had the resources if only it weren't for that 7% tax is going to be hard/impossible.

The simple fact is, if someone can afford the lawyer, they can find the money for the 7% tax, or they can find a lawyer that's 7% cheaper, or a lawyer with flexible rates. It's going to be rare that someone is that 7% tax away from being able to afford the lawyer.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Mmkay I can see that. How about other situations and cases against government policies/ANY obstacles that make it harder to seek justice. One example would be the abolishment of the Court Challenges Program.

I'm looking for things to compare the Christie case with, but my base knowledge of the legal system and court cases is lacking.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Hell, I don't know. Why don't you focus on writing something that you know more about?

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Cause that's boring. Honestly I'm trying to branch out from my normal style. I'm just looking for a resource I can use to find this sort of information rather then actually finding info from the forum members.

I'm using CanLii already and it works sorta, just wondering if there's anything else.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    -

Andrew_Jay on