As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Finally opened the first shortcut in Painted World

hey, these wheel guys are DICKS

YEEEEAH SKELETON WHEEEEL.

They weren’t too bad but the initial few encounters were not kind to me

Once you learn to just move to the side and stick ‘em when they stop grinding

Yep, when they come alone.

It's when they don't that things get very interesting.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Finally opened the first shortcut in Painted World

hey, these wheel guys are DICKS

YEEEEAH SKELETON WHEEEEL.

They weren’t too bad but the initial few encounters were not kind to me

Once you learn to just move to the side and stick ‘em when they stop grinding

Yep, when they come alone.

It's when they don't that things get very interesting.

That was one of the times I died, yeeeeeeeeeah

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I'm at the Capra and I haven't played in a couple days cause I'm work shopping on how to easily kill the dogs with my dagger/sorc lady

Probs black firebombs I always have em cause owned the jerk asylum is to much fun to not do

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Made it past the archers, got to the bonfire.

I reversed hollowing to kindle the bonfire, then summoned a dude and had some fun palling around there and killing knights. Even killed an invader, so that was cool!

Got right before Smough and Ornstein I guess, but died to the huge knights. Thankfully I put on a ring of sacrifice, so I didn't lose the 40k souls I had banked.

@Moriveth this is one of the best spots in the game to hire yourself out via Jolly Cooperation and earn a lot money, if you're interested and didn't already know that

• Options
    Damn I almost got S&O on my third try

Killed Ornstein, and got Smough down to 25% health

Tense fucking fight though, with two fuckers to manage!

• Options

Best advice I've got is keep them both in your line of sight at all times and use the pillars to impede their movements or get a chance to heal.

Smough especially is vulnerable to pillar humping because his charging truck attack ends when he runs into a pillar, just be aware his hammer can clip through it on the swing.

• Options
    It was the butt stomp that got me, that shit is rough when he has electricity powers on top of it.

• Options
    It was the butt stomp that got me, that shit is rough when he has electricity powers on top of it.

Ah, yeah. When you see him jump into the air roll back as far as you can. That's actually one of his best moves to get hits in, because after he hits the ground he's stationary for a couple moments while he gets back up.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Looking at the credits, there are several characters I haven't even seen. Where should I start looking for Kaathe?

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    Looking at the credits, there are several characters I haven't even seen. Where should I start looking for Kaathe?
    Kill the Four Kings before you ever talk to Frampt or place the Lordvessel on the altar. He'll appear behind the bonfire and you can talk to him for lore plus join the Darkwraith Covenant

• Options
    huh

so, what
    beat Sif; hit the bells; beat up O&S; warp to Firelink; grab the key; open the floodgate; beat the kings?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    huh

so, what
    beat Sif; hit the bells; beat up O&S; warp to Firelink; grab the key; open the floodgate; beat the kings?
    yeah
    killing the guy in new londo will also net you the key, if you don't want to get the lordvessel first

• Options
    huh

so, what
    That way works or you can also beat Sif, kill Ingward for the key, open floodgate, defeat the Kings.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Good to know. I think that setup is a bit ridiculous, even for Dark Souls, but whatever

thanks!

edit: NG+ done.

Tamin on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Getting obliterated by those two is a time honored tradition and I immediately discount those who beat them on the first try as MLG scum or min-maxing guide reading munchkins. ;)

https://youtu.be/3OZU3fi08-o

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was one attack away from beating them on my first try but I got greedy

I think it took like three?

anyway they're not easy, pyromancy is just good against them

• Options
    Oh man, first time fighting Kenan and Kel. Let's see, I think I was using Claymore and definitely a shield. I'm not actually sure if I took them down on the first go, but I did spend a lot of time beforehand putting down my summon sign.

• Options
    O&S are easily the hardest 'arena' boss fight in the game, for me. The Four Kings, on NG+, gave them a run for their money.

the red dragon and the hydras are up there if we include the 'environmental' boss fights.

(the former has a life bar on the bottom of the screen and the latter does not)

• Options
    I had a much easier time with the four kings on NG+ than in my initial run

• Options
    Four Kings on NG+ was probably the easiest fight of them all for me. Slap on heavy armor, stick close, keep swinging until they're dead then keep swinging after that until you stop doing damage as they fade away, rinse and repeat.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Four Kings are largely a damage check. Kill them fast enough or get overwhelmed.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    huh

so, what
    yeah
    killing the guy in new londo will also net you the key, if you don't want to get the lordvessel first
    without the lord vessel, how would I leave the boss room? Does Kaathe have a warp option, or is it just a case of "don't use the bonfire"?

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    huh

so, what
    yeah
    without the lord vessel, how would I leave the boss room? Does Kaathe have a warp option, or is it just a case of "don't use the bonfire"?

The bonfire afterwards does.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    ng++ is proving to be much more gentle than ng+
    Met Quelana for the first time. Ascended and then upgraded the pyromancy flame to +5.

O&S took me maybe two tries this time. I took Smough out first this time. It wasn't my first time seeing Ornstein 2.0, but I'm fairly sure it was my first time really trying the fight, if that makes sense. Ran out of flasks and figured I was done for, but somehow pulled it off.

Headed over to New Londo and fought the Four Kings. For whatever reason the Fire Within wouldn't cast on my first try, so I teleported out. Ran back in, the spell worked, and I took them out.

Met Kaathe.

good for that bit of lore, but I'm fine with linking the fire; so I said no. Kaathe was quite unhappy with my response. Stormed off in a huff.

Looked up what happens if you say yes, and it's about what I figured.

Frampt is still friendly. I was a bit worried that he wouldn't be, so that was a nice surprise.

Tamin on
  • Options
    I just tell 'em both to piss off after unlocking Darkwraith for the achievement and get what I want from it.

• Options
    Gonna be taking a few more stabs at S&O today, hopefully one of 'em will pan out

I've given up on trying to summon beforehand since I inevitably either get invaded or walloped by the big knights in the room

just gonna sprint past 'em and go straight through THE FOG DOOR

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Gonna be taking a few more stabs at S&O today, hopefully one of 'em will pan out

I've given up on trying to summon beforehand since I inevitably either get invaded or walloped by the big knights in the room

Im attempting this fight too, haven't gotten to double digit attempts yet but it has definitely been a few tries.

After the start of the third attempt i started sprinting to the fog door, its suprisingly easy but never forget about the Silver Knight archer, dude will ruin that attempt real quick.

I have only gotten into phase 2 of that fight, but i think i maybe able to knock it out this evening.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options

Im attempting this fight too, haven't gotten to double digit attempts yet but it has definitely been a few tries.

After the start of the third attempt i started sprinting to the fog door, its suprisingly easy but never forget about the Silver Knight archer, dude will ruin that attempt real quick.

I have only gotten into phase 2 of that fight, but i think i maybe able to knock it out this evening.

If I stick to the right side he can't really hit me, but I also run the risk of the big dude near the fog gate hitting me with an attack I can't see.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

Once you get invaded, there should be a timer before you get invaded again. Long enough that you should definitely be able to get a summon in before it runs out.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

Once you get invaded, there should be a timer before you get invaded again. Long enough that you should definitely be able to get a summon in before it runs out.

Yeah, but another issue is the summon for Solaire is up on top of the stairs, and last time I summoned him he got caught up on the big boys and couldn't actually make it into the fight.

I know the real solution is 'kill the big boys first' but that's hard!

• Options
    I think when I play bloodborne I'm just gonna do it offline

the co-op in these games isn't worth exposing yourself to this dogshit pvp

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I think when I play bloodborne I'm just gonna do it offline

the co-op in these games isn't worth exposing yourself to this dogshit pvp

I did co-op with a friend in bloodborne and I don't think we ever saw pvp.

DS3 was probably the worst pvp culprit for us - it was constant.

• Options
    I'd be a lot less irritated by it if the punishment for losing to some dickhead with a thousand hours spent mashing dodgeroll wasn't the same as it was for dying any other way, or if any of the alleged countermeasures to invaders actually did anything, or if the entire idea wasn't just "what if griefing were a mechanic" and generally designed to waste as much of my time as possible

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    As it's essentially the only thing I've never watched from their archives, I decided to try watching the SBFP LPs of the Souls games again. I always end up playing the game myself instead, and then it's distracting to listen to the same sound effects from their LP on my second monitor. Anyway, Dark Souls 2 was the first one they did, and the intro for that series has the Majula theme.

That song short circuits my brain and I don't really know why. The only thing I can think of that's ever managed to linger and provoke that sort of, I dunno what to call it, anxious nostalgia is a section of the FF7 main theme (or maybe one of the songs from the OST that includes it, I'm not sure).

Kamar on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So I was able to kill The Duo - Lightning Lance and Hammer Guy.

Turns out, the stamina moss was very helpful for taking hits with my shield.

I also had apparently been doing the hard mode of that fight, once I killed Lance first, killing Hammer Bro was much easier.

I have placed the lord’s vessel and now to farm a few souls.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    So anyway I decided to start a greataxe playthrough of Dark Souls 2. But the Crypt Blacksword uses the greataxe moveset and looks sick so I'm thinking I'm going to use that.

Which means rushing The Rotten (x2) and then Ornifex.

Started by grabbing the mace and going to kill Last Giant, taking out Pursuer when he showed up along the way. That gave me the souls I needed for health, rapier, and the silvercat ring, so down into the shit I went.

Rushing through not fighting anything makes both those zones down there quick, and Rotten has one dangerous move (the aoe), so I was able to kill him, bonfire ascetic, kill him again for the NG+ soul without too much trouble, though he did just delete me a few times when I messed up dodging that AoE (and one time ran into the fire dodging it).

Debating whether to use the rapier to rush to Ornifex or switch over to the (incredibly stumpy) bandit greataxe I grabbed in the Gutter for now, since it is a greataxe run after all.

I might try farming the rabid kobolds a bit for Drakekeeper GA and/or BKGA, but I can't remember if the ones that spawn before the king ring door have that weirdly rich drop table that the ones by the keep do. edit: They do, got a Drakekeeper GA.

double edit: The Crypt Blacksword wrecks faces.

Kamar on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I played a lot of bloodborne, like 100 hours, and was invaded maybe three times

• Options
    Man, I really hate Belfry Gargoyles. Even now it feels like my options are to outmuscle it or pray for good luck with the AI.

• Options
    Placed the lord vessel. Fought the Bed of Chaos; two tries: managed to get both arms on the first pass, then got knocked into a pit. Landed on the ramp on my next pass. Spent a few seconds too long looking at the 'heart'; the boss started to cast a spell where I was standing. I killed the boss, but the spell went off anyway and ... I got the credit and died.

Solaire -
    opened the door before fighting the Firesage Demon, and killed the bug(s). Got a sunlight maggot for my troubles, which might be useful in the Tomb of the Giants. Looped around after entering Lost Izalith by the front door, and Solaire is depressed. Then he vanished, and I dunno where he went.

Siegmeyer -
    had to do a bit more with him than usual, but I managed to line things up so that he jumps into action. So I jumped in after him, screwed up, and died. Thought I could kill 'em faster than I could. Ran back and he was also dead. RIP.

Patches -
    Met him in the Catacombs, which I've never seen before. My introduction to him has always been on the edge of the pit into which he pushes the player. He's being a goose about one of the platforms, which is pretty interesting.

Petrus -
    Acting weird. Normally he has a "oh I'm sorry; Miracles, was it?" scatterbrained approach. This time he seems far more put-together, and graver. Rhea hasn't shown up yet, but then I'm doing things in such a weird order (for me) -- I just completely bypassed Lower Undead Burg, Depths, and upper Blighttown.

I joined his covenant this time, and asked after the "undead mission", but didn't have the souls. And he won't give me a second chance to pay, which I find irritating.