As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Oh, bloodborne just throws you right into NG+. Looks like I get to check out the dlc on NG+

Gonna try not to use the threaded cane. Which is fine, since the burial blade and blade of mercy are a ton of fun!

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Welp, Dragon God has put a pretty emphatic end to my deathless streak. This choad keeps killin' me.

Or, more specifically, the camera during the Dragon God fight has killed me like ten fuckin' times.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I am not what anyone would call a skilled Dark Souls player. Usually I go pyro-dex, this time I’m going quality build.

Ran into a roadblock at Quelaag until I remembered she can be cheesed. Now I’m on the Ornstin-Smaug loop, occasionally running a circuit to kill all the silver knights for their souls. They’re pretty much the only enemy in the gwme I can consistently parry, and with my +10 Zweihander they go sown in 1-2 hits.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The Ritual Path can suck the absolute shit out of my dick, jesus christ this place is a miserable, cheap slog

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    The Ritual Path can suck the absolute shit out of my dick, jesus christ this place is a miserable, cheap slog

Ahaha, I looked it up like "I forget where that is, maybe I can offer some tips and its not that bad" and then I saw the wiki say "4-2" and gave up on that thought.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Ahaha, I looked it up like "I forget where that is, maybe I can offer some tips and its not that bad" and then I saw the wiki say "4-2" and gave up on that thought.

It is, far and away, the most miserable area I have seen in any of these goddamn games, and by a WIDE margin

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I platinumed Demon's Souls and I am proud.

Now I want to make a character dedicated to being a pvp asshole. What's a good level for the last boss area of Latria? Thinking I might try to go uchigatana/scraping spear or something. Maybe play on fractured mode.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Realized I had a char from when I first attempted bloodborne a couple years ago. I forget what point he was at, but he's somewhere post amelia and kitted out with ludwig's and 35str/25skl.

Started rolling through the DLC with that and fuck.. i forgot how nasty ludwig's could be. No need to parry when I can just chop everything in half!

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Realized I had a char from when I first attempted bloodborne a couple years ago. I forget what point he was at, but he's somewhere post amelia and kitted out with ludwig's and 35str/25skl.

Started rolling through the DLC with that and fuck.. i forgot how nasty ludwig's could be. No need to parry when I can just chop everything in half!

the dlc is intended for endgame, and amelia is very much early game

also, ironically, ludwigs in tricked form does bludgeoning damage

• Options
    The character is 84, post amelia, maybe prior to amygdala? Yeah, huge gap. I just remember dying a bunch in a chalice dungeon before stopping that run.

I suppose that giant sheath doing bludgeoning work makes sense. Chopping folks in half or breaking their backs.. it’s a blast either way

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Holy shit, I did it... I actually finished a videogame!

Just beat DS3. First time I beat one of these in a while. I really liked it but in a lot of ways it felt easier than previous games? Maybe it's just my years of training at this point, but I "breezed" through it in like 80ish hours over a week or two (some of that time afk to be fair). Never got stuck at any one area for too long. Never really had to switch up my playstyle or weapons much. Made a fire broadsword pretty early on and used it all the way to end. Did have to get more comfortable rolling through attacks though, as it seems way more generous here than I remember from the others, but I could just be misremembering. It's been a while.

Anyway
    Time to go get murdered in Ariandel, I guess!

(Not even sure where the other DLC is actually; don't think I ever found it naturally so I'll have to look it up.)

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Did you do the Nameless King?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Hmm...I'm not sure, that name doesn't sound super familiar.

BUT I did just invaded and wow. I transformed into a tombstone and hid while he destroyed the two phantoms who appeared to help me...then he found me and killed me, dropped a dung ball, and pointed at my corpse.

I haven't laughed that hard at an online gaming interaction in a while. It kind of weirdly made my night.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    It'd be real hard to forget the Nameless King aka The King of Storms

optional semi-hidden area in the vanilla game

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'm just going to leave this amazing thing I found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zcOUnXd-HQ

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Doing an SL1 run of Dark Souls 3.

Aldrich is a huge jerk.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited January 2021

Aldrich is a huge jerk.

I can't remember my experience with SL1 Aldrich. Which might mean it went rather well, or might mean I've blocked the memory.

I hate the fight on a normal run so probably the latter.

edit: Oh wait here's what I had to say about it in the other thread:
    Aldrich is going to be one of those pure luck bosses huh. I'm sure someone somewhere can intentionally deal with some of these combinations of homing orbs+bullshit, but I suspect its beyond me.

edit: Got a lucky melee-heavy round and cleared it, woo

So, uh, good luck.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    yeah aldrich seems like an SL1 nightmare

not hard normally, but he just gets free damage

Elendil on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I remember Aldrich being pretty hard in my normal run

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Managed to push through Ariandel this morning before work. Wasn't so bad after I got a speedrunny tour of it last night so I knew what to expect. The main roadblock was the phantom with the key, Vinheim or something. He was a real fucker, and I couldn't summon any help at that point so I just cheesed him with fireballs outside his range and dashed in to slash him up when he tried to heal.

Still gotta kill one more tough thing and then I think that's that for the painted world.

Oh. Also! After that, I went to The Dregs or whatever it's called... I guess i thought that was something else entirely so I didn't check it out initially. Whoops. There's like a whole other thing happening there wtf

Clearly there is still a decent amount of stuff I havent seen yet. And I don't even wanna think about all the npc stories I fucked up along the way.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Aldrich is a huge jerk.

I can't remember my experience with SL1 Aldrich. Which might mean it went rather well, or might mean I've blocked the memory.

I hate the fight on a normal run so probably the latter.

edit: Oh wait here's what I had to say about it in the other thread:
    Aldrich is going to be one of those pure luck bosses huh. I'm sure someone somewhere can intentionally deal with some of these combinations of homing orbs+bullshit, but I suspect its beyond me.

edit: Got a lucky melee-heavy round and cleared it, woo

So, uh, good luck.

It took embering up and some good RNG, but I got him down. Dancer and Sword Pope took a lot more tries, but they both felt much fairer than Aldrich.

I found that getting up close to Aldrich made him more likely to use easier attacks, but there was still that time after he moves where he has the window to spam spells, and yeah some combos feel like guaranteed deaths.

broken image link
  • Options
    Some day I'll return to grinding away at Twin Princes on my SL1 run. I almost one-shot them randomly on a whim a while back, after not touching the game for a while, before getting back to playing with a friend. So it shouldn't take too much work once I commit to it.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I don’t suppose I’ll get anywhere with it but if you wish, I’ll draw a hunter in 1910 on a Japanese motorcycle with a semiautomatic whaling harpoon.

tq0qa6uvcf43.jpeg

• Options
    This is the kind of energy we want to see

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    re58wwh2qmrv.jpeg

It’s not exactly winning material, but it’s entering material, which is okay by me.

• Options
    hellllll yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bumping this thread because I'm attempting Dark Souls again and figure it makes more sense to talk about it in here than the regular games thread.

I started it nearly a year ago and only got just past the Taurus demon before pausing and never going back to it, so I've started again, and obviously I can't remember any of the advice I asked for the first time so I'm asking again.

I'm playing a pyromancer, what attributes should I focus on? Right now I'm level 5 I think and I've put 2 points into Endurance, 2 into Vitality, and 1 into Dex. Are those good things to go for at first? I think I remember being told that. Presumably though I will also want to level Intelligence so I can use some magic?

Also, is it better to have multiple weapon types for different enemies or can you just pick one and focus on getting good at it?

• Options
    Bumping this thread because I'm attempting Dark Souls again and figure it makes more sense to talk about it in here than the regular games thread.

I started it nearly a year ago and only got just past the Taurus demon before pausing and never going back to it, so I've started again, and obviously I can't remember any of the advice I asked for the first time so I'm asking again.

I'm playing a pyromancer, what attributes should I focus on? Right now I'm level 5 I think and I've put 2 points into Endurance, 2 into Vitality, and 1 into Dex. Are those good things to go for at first? I think I remember being told that. Presumably though I will also want to level Intelligence so I can use some magic?

Also, is it better to have multiple weapon types for different enemies or can you just pick one and focus on getting good at it?

Pyromancy is weird in that it doesn't scale with any stats, but rather how upgraded your pyromancy flame is. It can be tough to rely solely on pyromancy though, so I'd suggest putting your levels into getting more health and weapon damage (dexterity and/or strength, depending on weapon preference). If you want to go hard on the pyromancy though, you might want to increase your attunement, which increases the number of spell slots you have.

It's also probably better to pick a weapon and get really good with it, unless you want to go for some type of magical weapon in which case it can be handy to have a couple of different ones in case you hit a boss that's strong against one of the damage types.

broken image link
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    vordt's mace is a hilariously fun time weapon, if you're lookin' for a silly strength weapon.

it looks cool too!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Combustion and especially Great combustion when you get them are actually really strong and great for boss fights. Short range but the animation is extremely fast.

Saving your pyromancies for the boss is generally how I play pyromancy, and then mess them up.

I don't think I've ever tried pure pyromancy tho. Usually spells /pyromancy or weapon /pyromancy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021

Pyromancy is weird in that it doesn't scale with any stats, but rather how upgraded your pyromancy flame is. It can be tough to rely solely on pyromancy though, so I'd suggest putting your levels into getting more health and weapon damage (dexterity and/or strength, depending on weapon preference). If you want to go hard on the pyromancy though, you might want to increase your attunement, which increases the number of spell slots you have.

It's also probably better to pick a weapon and get really good with it, unless you want to go for some type of magical weapon in which case it can be handy to have a couple of different ones in case you hit a boss that's strong against one of the damage types.

Early game you probably want to focus on vitality and endurance. Get enough strength and dex to equip a weapon and shield type that you like. There’s a couple weapons near firelink (Morningstar for 1h hidden down the elevator shaft, Zweihander for 2h in the graveyard) that are very good, and if I’m not mistaken the undead burg merchant sells a 100% block shield?

Definitely agree you should find a weapon moveset you like and then focus your stats on that.

By the endgame you’ll max out vit end str and dex, with maybe enough attunement for a couple extra spell slots. But that’s a long way off. Pyro does not improve with int or faith in ds1.

Edit: goddamn I shouldn’t post when I wake up because I just read things and repeat them

rhylith on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    A huge health pool makes the game much more forgiving, especially early on

Another thing to know: after 40 in a stat, you'll start to see vastly diminishing returns

• Options
    edited June 2021
    If you can learn to space out enemy attacks and/or roll when you need to, going 2h zweihander is probably the easiest way to blast through DS1. You can stagger almost anything with the 2h R2 on Zweihander. Including, like, O&S.

Walk close to the enemy and then back away so they swing and miss->hit R2 until enemy dies or you run out of stamina will deal with 99% of enemies in the game.

edit: To elaborate more, enemies close enough to hit you will try to hit you. But it's not instant, and most of them attack in place without moving forward. So you can walk into range and back, and then they're swinging...but the zweihander is stupid long (and the 2h R2 involves taking a few steps forward) and will be able to safely hit them while they whiff their swing. And if it hits they won't get a chance to reposition or swing again.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I don't like 2H weapons. Don't know why, never use them in any game. I'm a very boring axe and shield person when possible.

• Options
    I don't like 2H weapons. Don't know why, never use them in any game. I'm a very boring axe and shield person when possible.

Fair enough. The idea holds up in general, it's just way easier and more consistent across a wider selection of enemies to do it with the near-guaranteed stagger and ridiculous reach of a zweihander.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

The Battle Axe is sold by the blacksmith, you should be near him.

• Options
    Shields are very, very good if you get one with high stability

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    You can pry my Grass Crest Shield from my undead hands

• Options
    Quick shield tutorial

Shields have various damage reduction stats, ideally you'd want one with 100% physical damage reduction - this means you won't get any chip damage from physical attacks while blocking

Stability affects how much stamina you lose upon blocking a hit

If you feel unsure about an enemy, approach with your shield up

Parrying is a more advanced technique and easier with smaller shields - I'd first try to get the hang of everything else