As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Bloodborne update:

Beat Rom last night solo, felt pretty good about it. Shit's getting weird, very exciting.

Let's take ten steps into this new area!

Oh, I see. The real Bloodborne starts here, I guess. Jeezy fucking chreezy.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that part of the game is the worst. you have a few different options for areas you can go to and all of them are terrible.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Behold! A Paleblood Sky!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    dark souls playthrough number 4 update
    every time I go to do the bed of chaos I think, surely that fight isn't as bad as I remember, and every time, it is worse than I recall

I think it's probably the worst in the series!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The final part of that fight, literally where you just have to jump and you win, has taken me multiple times before because the boss will wait for you to try before swinging

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Can anyone explain why periodically something that looks and sounds like a tiny fireball flies out of nowhere and hits my character? It happens at seemingly random times, when there's no enemies around, doesn't cause any damage or affect anything. I thought maybe it was when I gained humanity but it just happened and I don't get anything from it. I dunno if it's just a glitch or it actually does something.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain why periodically something that looks and sounds like a tiny fireball flies out of nowhere and hits my character? It happens at seemingly random times, when there's no enemies around, doesn't cause any damage or affect anything. I thought maybe it was when I gained humanity but it just happened and I don't get anything from it. I dunno if it's just a glitch or it actually does something.

Might be someone kindling a bonfire in the area and you getting free estus? I forget what that looks like.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »

Might be someone kindling a bonfire in the area and you getting free estus? I forget what that looks like.

Yeah that's the effect

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Huh, so kindling a fire in your game gives a bonus to other players? That's neat.

Also I know I shouldn't find it crazy that there are other people still playing this ancient game at the same time as me but I kind of do.

• Options
    Huh, so kindling a fire in your game gives a bonus to other players? That's neat.

Also I know I shouldn't find it crazy that there are other people still playing this ancient game at the same time as me but I kind of do.

Oh yeah there's lots of people still playing. And a lot of people still invading other worlds so watch out for that if you're playing online.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I just died to a low level guy while trying to get back to my bloodstain, losing thousands of souls, because the lock-on jumped to an enemy in a different fucking room and made my character turn around so I could get hit in the back.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to quit this game.

I started the game again because I didn't like how I'd leveled my guy. I'm now stuck on the Taurus demon, which I beat on my first attempt last time, I think I've died like 5 times now. I don't get this game.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    If you're playing Dark Souls Remastered, password matching makes it pretty easy to get help from someone here if you need it for a rough patch.

• Options
    Did it, on maybe my 8th or 9th try. Finally worked out how to dodge one of its attacks. And ended up with 11,000 souls because of how many times I'd died there.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Not sure if it's been said, but early on you'll get more benefit out of upgrading weapons than anything else

• Options
    If you get frustrated and decide you want to play Dark Souls on easy mode, there are ways to do that completely legitimately. Pumping nothing but health and stamina/equip weight, putting on heavy armor, and using a non-scaling weapon (fire is available pretty much immediately if you know where to wander) trivializes most of the game.

Going health+equip weight+strength and just smashing things with a stick or zwei trivializes the entire game, albeit with a slower startup than going non-scaling. Though you can start non-scaling and switch later by pumping strength last.

• Options
    Fire is only available if you go into the Catacombs and trying to suggest a new player go there is evil

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Fire is only available if you go into the Catacombs and trying to suggest a new player go there is evil

If you can take a death or ten learning it without stressing, getting where you need to go via sprinting past everything isn't too bad.

Just don't sit at any bonfires.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Speaking of skills to develop, on top of the list of 'ways to engage' I mentioned before I forgot something crucial.

Just sprinting past everything is shockingly easy in DS1, and a very valuable skill to master.

edit: Also, don't hesitate to try different weapons. If a particular weapon clicks with how you play it can feel like cheating because of how easy it makes things. Or you can use something objectively, statistically busted for PvE like the halberd or black knight halberd and feel that way regardless of playstyle!

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Platy wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been said, but early on you'll get more benefit out of upgrading weapons than anything else

In my previous game I had my axe up to +5, but since I restarted today I've only had a single titanite shard drop. I have got it up to +3 now because I realised upgrading it would be more useful than leveling so I dropped a bunch of souls on buying some titanite.
    Kamar wrote: »
    Speaking of skills to develop, on top of the list of 'ways to engage' I mentioned before I forgot something crucial.

Just sprinting past everything is shockingly easy in DS1, and a very valuable skill to master.

It's not so easy with a busted controller. My guy has way too much chill, he just saunters everywhere. It's like Arthur Morgan wandered into the wrong game.

Wait wait

Arthur Lordran

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DING DONG

Got back to the
    gargoyles. Wanted to try them solo again but was human when I got to them and didn't want to waste that when I was pretty sure I would die, so I summoned Solaire. Also used gold pine resin which I didn't have on my last game. We murderised them in like a minute, it was trivially easy. Now I'm curious if I actually could have done it myself with the resin because it seemed to do a ton of damage. I guess I will try that if I get to doing a NG+.

Now there's this guy in the bell tower, who scared the shit out of me when I came down the ladder, and he sells this thing that apparently breaks curses. Is that something I should buy? It sounds like the kind of thing you really want to have if you ever need it.

I would ask "What are the chances of me getting cursed?" but with this game I assume it's a guarantee.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    DING DONG

Got back to the
    gargoyles. Wanted to try them solo again but was human when I got to them and didn't want to waste that when I was pretty sure I would die, so I summoned Solaire. Also used gold pine resin which I didn't have on my last game. We murderised them in like a minute, it was trivially easy. Now I'm curious if I actually could have done it myself with the resin because it seemed to do a ton of damage. I guess I will try that if I get to doing a NG+.

Now there's this guy in the bell tower, who scared the shit out of me when I came down the ladder, and he sells this thing that apparently breaks curses. Is that something I should buy? It sounds like the kind of thing you really want to have if you ever need it.

I would ask "What are the chances of me getting cursed?" but with this game I assume it's a guarantee.
    You’ll encounter some curse enemies soon in the depths, but if you stay out of their fart clouds you’ll be ok.

I wouldn’t buy a purging stone until you need it. I think they were kinda pricy at this stage of the game.

Curse kills you instantly, then when you resurrect you have less health until you break the curse.

This is different from transient curse, which is a status you’ll need much later in the game (save your transient curse items).

rhylith on
  • Options
    Cursed farts, oh the delights of this game keep coming.

Back at firelink
    I met a gold knight in a jail cell in the parish and wasn't sure whether I should release him, went back to do it after killing the gargoyles and he was gone. Now I've just met him at the shrine and he seems really pissed with me. Woops.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Cursed farts, oh the delights of this game keep coming.

Back at firelink
    I met a gold knight in a jail cell in the parish and wasn't sure whether I should release him, went back to do it after killing the gargoyles and he was gone. Now I've just met him at the shrine and he seems really pissed with me. Woops.

it's fine, he's definitely on the level

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I personally would buy two or three purging stones. It's very possible that you'll never need them, but if you ever do need them and don't have them it's going to be a big fucking problem.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    DS3 - Arrows vs Bosses 8:39
    https://youtu.be/quLR2Al_xao

There's something kinda asmr-ish about this

Peas on
  • Options
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The halberd-class moveset in DS1 is so good

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    The halberd-class moveset in DS1 is so good

Also has ludicrously high AR for its attack times. IIRC from a chart someone did a while back, only class comparable for raw damage output is curved greatswords?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i love halberds but that spin R2 is a blight

there's maybe one halberd per game that doesn't have it

• Options
    edited June 2021
    BTW, I may have talked about this before but in case people don't know...apparently weapons with higher ARs are stronger than you would expect them to be just comparing the numbers.

Like, not just because enemies have a flat layer of defense and a percentage layer, which would benefit bigger hits. But because as the gap between an AR and the defense its hitting increases, the defense gets a reduced percentage reduction.

So a weapon with twice the AR hitting at half the speed will do more DPS, even against a hypothetical enemy with no flat layer of defense.

All of which you'll end up feeling with certain fast low-AR (and of course split damage weapons) as you hit endgame/go into NG+, unless you're rocking some ridiculously beefy weapon buffs on said quick weapon.

Of course, independent of this, some weapons can have terrible or great motion values (how the AR is multiplied to determine the damage output on specific attacks) and thus end up weaker or stronger than you might expect (Balder Side Sword have like 10% stronger motion values on its R2 (with increased stamina cost, but still) than most straight swords, making r2 spam so favorable on it that I actually feel weird trying to use it on a 'straight sword' character because it plays completely different).

Kamar on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    This is the first time I'm hearing of AR.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Attack rating is the number they show you on the character sheet for how strong a weapon's attack is IIRC

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    This is the first time I'm hearing of AR.

Attack Rating, the damage number for your weapon that goes up with upgrades/scaling/etc.

• Options
    Good news: I killed my first black knight.

Bad news: I met the Capra demon.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Know this: the capra demon fight is bullshit, those dogs are bullshit
    If you can kill the dogs with one or two swings at the start it becomes a lot less bullshit but good luck doing that consistently

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Even now, knowing how to reliably dodge the initial attacks and get up the stairs onto the archway (at which point winning is super easy), I dread that fight. Because messing up the initial dodge and losing it is so annoying.

Kamar on
  • Options
    I managed to get to the top of the stairs on my second attempt (assuming there is only one set of stairs, I haven't had time to look around), but he just smashed me to death once I was there.

I'm too tired to try and figure it out today.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Good news: I killed my first black knight.

Bad news: I met the Capra demon.

here am secret pro-tips for that goat jerk
    When you enter his tiny little boss fight area, roll right to the stairs, go up them and then at the top, move to the right until you're on top of that archway. Makes it much harder (but not impossible) for him to hit you, and you can firebomb his dogs at least.

I usually play a pyro so I also lob fireballs at him until he ends up beneath the archway, at which point you can do a drop attack for massive damage.

you might have to repeat the run up the stairs and onto the archway to kill him all the way tho.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I managed to get to the top of the stairs on my second attempt (assuming there is only one set of stairs, I haven't had time to look around), but he just smashed me to death once I was there.

I'm too tired to try and figure it out today.

He'll fall down trying to hit you up there, if he gets up there, or fall trying to go diagonal from the stairs to you across empty air (you sould be on the arch off the right of the top of the steps, not just at the top of the steps) sooner or later and end up in a prone state, just have to block or roll a few swings until it happens. Rinse and repeat.

Alternatively, you can lob doo-doo at him over the wall without even going through the fog gate until he dies of shit poisoning, as he deserves.

Kamar on
  • Options
    I wonder if I should upgrade my armour. I'm still using the starting pyro stuff because it's light and gives the poison/fire/etc defenses which sounded good. Reinforcing it looked like it would add such a puny amount of defense that I haven't bothered. But maybe I should get something heavier now my endurance is up a bit.