My tap water has a bitter, chemical taste, I assume from dissolved minerals and chlorine. I use PUR faucet filters, which remove most of that; but the water still tastes slightly chemical with a bitter aftertaste, which is enough to discourage me from drinking it. I want to drink more water - I spend way too much time mildly dehydrated - and it would be much easier if water didn't taste terrible.
The two basic strategies are removing the bad-tasting elements from water and adding things to mask the bad tastes. So far I have not found either to be effective.
Things I've tried:
- Brita and ZeroWater filters: less effective than PUR at making water palatable.
- Charcoal sticks that go in your water bottle: did nothing.
- Using a Brita filter pitcher in addition to the faucet filter: made no difference, except that the water absorbed a plastic taste from the pitcher.
- Filling a glass carafe with water in the evening and storing it in the fridge for the next day: water tastes funky and flat.
- Infusing water with fruit: water smells a little like fruit, but all I get is a vaguely tart taste that's not any more pleasant than straight water.
- Flavor concentrates: water tastes like diluted sugar-free candy. Blech.
- Tea and other infusions: tea/tisane brewed with bad-tasting water also tastes bad.
Bottled water is expensive and wasteful (and tastes like plastic anyway). So is reverse osmosis (uses much more water than it purifies). Water delivery services also feel indefensibly wasteful when I have safe, albeit unappealing, tap water (and there's the plastic jug issue). Filtered water from a grocery store dispenser also
tastes like plastic.
For a while I thought maybe I just don't like water, period; but I have since experienced tap water that tasted like water is supposed to taste - in New Zealand. Where I do not live.
There are several natural springs within driving distance of me, but I have safety concerns about water straight out of the ground.
I sometimes buy glass-bottled or canned sparkling water and drink that straight or mixed with juice, but it has the same cost and environmental issues as regular bottled water.
I'm out of ideas. What do y'all do to make tap water not suck?
The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.