Finally updating my workstation

ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
Now that I own a house, I'm finally looking at modernizing my workstation. I currently have 2 desks, one personal and one for work. In the interest of saving space I'm looking at consolidating onto one desk, either with a 4-monitor mount, or a tall 2-monitor that will hold them over two monitors actually sitting on my desk. I also want to migrate to a sit/stand desk. Does anyone have recommendations on monitor arms and/or desks? I don't have a budget in mind yet, so don't worry about price.

• MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    For arms, I've been very happy with offerings from VIVO. Reasonable price and solid build quality. I don't believe they have 4-screen mounts so you may need to buy 2 and get creative.

For the desk itself, do you want something like a Versadesk that sits on your desktop, or do you want the legs of the desk to move? If you want the desk legs to move, I'd typically recommend Ikea, but they are out of stock for nearly everything right now.

You could also look into a larger L-shaped desk and have one set area for work; one for personal.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 4
    I have had the https://www.fully.com/ Jarvis model desk recommended to me twice. I've configured my perfect desk no fewer than a dozen times and never click "order now" due to an indecisive fear.

They look and review fantastically. I just keep looking at my 17 year old utility table that looks like it belongs at a conference badge station and think it's survived this long, it deserves to keep living.

dispatch.o on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    On the standing desk thing.
    It has been the standard here in Denmark for like 15 years or so, meaning every office desk at workplaces are like that only most are only use to fine tune the table height and then left like that. And that is despite it being tables adjusted by actuators and PC's suspended from them so it is easy to alter the height.

Now I am not saying there is not a benefit, however I recommend getting a really good chair and also just trying to build good habits like fx. short breaks now and then, placing things you need once in a while so you need to walk a few steps to get them and so on.

Now on arms I like Ergotron; https://ergotron.com/en-us/products/mounts/multi-monitor

Note that you can also find offering from big PC companies like Dell and others, only it is usually arms from companies like Ergotron however they are often sold at lower prices. So check what is on offer from the computer companies before pulling the trigger.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We had adjustable standing desks at our office before we went WFH, and probably 90% of people never changed the height of theirs. I had mine at 'stand' position the whole time; if I wanted to sit down, we had extra-tall chairs ("draftsman chairs", I think?), to move the seat up rather than moving the desk down.