As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where did this trivia question sound glitch come from? (Probably obscure)

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
I had a small glitch on my Windows gaming computer the other day.

My housemate went to use it to watch Netflix, and when she turned on the TV & audio, she got a repeating audio sample from the entertainment system. It was a male voice, repeating the following trivia question over and over:

"NHL player Dustin Penner threw out his back while blank."

I'm used to sound glitches where a sample gets looped after an application hang, but I can't quite figure out why it was this sample.

According to Windows volume mixer, the offending application was the Steam Client Bootstrapper. At the time, the Steam client was not in Big Picture mode, and it was sitting on the store page for Control. Closing the Steam client did not make the loop stop, but using Task Manager to force-close the Steam Client Bootstrapper did. So I'm fairly convinced that it was the Steam Client Bootstrapper generating the audio.

I don't have any trivia games in my Steam library. I have the Jackbox Party Packs 2 and 3, but neither of those contain YDKJ. (It definitely wasn't the voice from Murder Mystery Party. That voice has distortion. This voice did not, it was just a normal neutral nonsarcastic male voice.)

It seems like this sort of audio glitch can happen sometimes (reddit threads here and here) for similar glitches with different audio content. I'm just really curious where the hell this particular audio came from.

By the way, the answer to the question (which I found while Googling):
He was eating pancakes.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Basically, you want to know what game this clip came from, and we're assuming it was something from a soundtrack/audio file associated with Steam?

Could you post a list of installed titles?

Search your steamapps folder for mp3/wav files sorted by time last accessed?

Could help narrow it down.

If this was the Steam audio player intentionally looping (as opposed to a chunk caught in a buffer), it would probably be an individual file. Your game culprit probably has dozens of similarly sized/named files that would reveal the same voice in a spot check.

Alternatively, filter out everything not 1-3 seconds long, toss the suspects in a playlist, and let it run.

Alternativelier: Figure out how to intentionally launch that stupid Steam media player (which I have inadvertently summoned many a time), and see if the audio in question isn't already loaded.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Following that first reddit thread, did you try going into Big Picture to see the recently added music?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    These are all good ideas. I'll give them a try!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys! It was in fact the Steam Media Player, which gives NO indication that it is running, and it was playing a WAV file from Fibbage.