As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Issues with net connection.

bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay so a few days ago my computer had some grief, it would begin to start up, get to the windows XP loading screen and then start from scratch. Fine i says, so i format my windows drive and install a fresh copy of windows XP. Starts up - wonderful.

Only now i cant get my network or internet to work, i use a network card built into my motherboard, and the computer says its connected at 400 mb a second (it used to only say 100) but i cant see my roomate computer on the network (we are both connected to a hub which connects to the ADSL modem) or access the modem. Also when i unplug my network card, the computer doesnt recodnise that the cables gone.

Any hints or tips? im starting to think its a hardware problem.

You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch
bezerk bob on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    b3z3rk_b0b wrote: »
    Okay so a few days ago my computer had some grief, it would begin to start up, get to the windows XP loading screen and then start from scratch. Fine i says, so i format my windows drive and install a fresh copy of windows XP. Starts up - wonderful.

Only now i cant get my network or internet to work, i use a network card built into my motherboard, and the computer says its connected at 400 mb a second (it used to only say 100) but i cant see my roomate computer on the network (we are both connected to a hub which connects to the ADSL modem) or access the modem. Also when i unplug my network card, the computer doesnt recodnise that the cables gone.

You'll need to get the drivers for your onboard network card either from one of the cd's that came with your computer or download them on another computer.

The 400MB/s is more than likely a 1394 (firewire) port coming online, Windows likes to group 1394's and LAN's in the "Network Connections" category.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    bezerk bobbezerk bob Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    b3z3rk_b0b wrote: »

You'll need to get the drivers for your onboard network card either from one of the cd's that came with your computer or download them on another computer.

The 400MB/s is more than likely a 1394 (firewire) port coming online, Windows likes to group 1394's and LAN's in the "Network Connections" category.

Problem sorted, you sir are a gentleman and i thank you. Also lock away or cosign to the pit if the mood takes you.

bezerk bob on
    You can only drink 30 or 40 glasses of beer a day, no matter how rich you are. -- Colonel Adolphus Busch