As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Explore On] Etrian Odyssey - Sequel announced!

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
1up article states that Etrian Odyssey 2 has been announced!
Known Features
- 3 New Classes; Doctormagus, Gunner, and Pets!
- New tools for mapping out the dungeon!
- New AI for FOE's, making them even more obnoxious!
- Quick save feature!
Shilleka got fired.
newshop.jpg

All 9 classes are returning with new artwork!
revive.jpg

Drawing your dungeon map will be more detailed!
map.jpg

Additional Images Regarding Part 2
Etrian Odyssey the first info below!

*stands up from fold-up chair* Hello, my name is Henroid, and I'm addicted to Etrian Odyssey.

We totally have a Wiki thing going on for this game.

(First part of this OP ripped from Tw4win; his thread is here)

Atlus' Official Etrian Odyssey Website
180273b.jpg
IGN.com wrote:
Atlus is at it again, this time bringing a new RPG hybrid game from the creator of Trauma Center, and though it's tough to give the final verdict right now, we can at least say that Etrian Odyssey is like nothing we've ever played.

Etrian Odyssey is, for lack of a better comparison, half role-playing game, half cartography. The game manages to blend classic turn-based battles with first-person dungeon crawling (very similar to the old N,S,E,W text-based PC games… tile to tile), and actual mapmaking on the bottom screen.

The carography is definitely the main hook of the game, as users actually traverse through dangerous dungeons and actually map out their adventure using drawing tools for the walls and rooms, as well as dragging and dropping various icons (stairway up, down, event, puzzle, boss monster, item) onto the tiled bottom screen to make the most accurate and user-friendly map possible. Many of the intro missions actually center entirely around the cartography aspect of the game, as AI characters will highlight a region on your blank map and require you to trail-blaze into unknown areas, charting your progress step-for-step. It's in all ways odd, but surprisingly entertaining.

etrian-odyssey--20070502032008730-000.jpgetrian-odyssey--20070502032021839.jpg
(we should get some new screens all up ins)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

This game is a dungeon crawler's wet dream. Aside from awesome character classes (which the player names and selects a portrait for each) and steller artwork, it plays rather smoothely as well. A lot of us are hopelessly hooked on this game, and many more keep obtaining the game and ending up like the rest of us. One of us, one of us...

There's a lot of important details that come up with this game, and we decided to compile a new thread in which the OP (this post) would contain said info for easy access. Expect updates! But don't expect links to maps to be posted here. I feel that if we did that, we'd be robbing people of the main aspect of this game. The true spoilers to this (aside from the developing plot) are to ruin the dungeon exploration. Mind you, bosses can be discussed in the open (unless plot important, if any). Let the info commence (I'm open to suggestions to make changes!).

Making Your Guild:
The first thing the guild will have you do is name your guild, to which characters in the game will refer to you as (I named my guild "Devoted," so the Pub owner says, "Ah, Devoted, pull up a seat kids."). After you name your guild, you can jump right in to make your team members! You can have 16 guild members at max, but you can only take 5 (at max) into the dungeon with you at any given time. You will also select their formation, with up to three in the front or back and the other two taking the other position. Each character you make from the Register function starts with 3 skill points.

Skill Point Calculator:
Ramen has provided a skill point calculator here to provide a method of easy planning. It is an excel document (very purdy looking at that) stoed in a zip file.

Character Classes: (currently basic descriptions - skill details to be added soon)
Landsknecht - Goofey name, isn't it? The Landsknecht, represented by L at the shop, is one of two basic warrior classes. These are geared toward being more offensive, and specialize in using axes and swords. Sword abilities grant multi-target attacks, while axes provide powerful, single target attacks. Great for the front line.

Protector - The second of the warrior classes, only more defensive. A lot more. That is to say, they are capable of doing okay damage on attack, but their skills are related to defending the party. They are considered a must-have by everyone, placed in the front line. Don't go into a FOE fight without one. Represented by P at the shop.

Survivalist - The archer class, for lack of a better term, represented by S at the shop. Specializing in bows, they can take an effective role at either the front or back line. They're considered very valuable by a lot of PA forumers for their utility, granted more pre-emptive attacks and lessoning the chance for enemies to have the same, for example.

Dark Hunter - My personal favorite. The Dark Hunter is a front line fighter designed after dominatrixes. They can specialize in sword or whip use, the former providing status ailments on enemies. Whip skills perform many bind techniques, which prevent enemies from using certain abilities. Represented by D at the shop.

Alchemist - An interesting name to grant mages (which is what these folks are). They are highly valued by many players for their intense damage output. They can learn the standard fire, ice, and thunder magics, alongside poisons. Powerful enough to consider a must-have. Represented by A at the shop.

Medic - The last of the must-haves, these are the game's healers. Aside from standard cure spells, which can be placed on a single member or the entire group, Medics can train in an ability called "Patch Up," which heals a % of every team member's max health after each fight at no TP cost. Represented by M at the shop.

Troubador - Another goofey name, these are bards and dancers (depending on the gender). The troubadors provide fantastic buffs to the group, though are more effective as the game progresses rather than at the start. One of which is a song that restores TP to the entire party. Represented by T at the shop, and have musical instruments available to them (and only them) that boost their TP dramatically.

Ronin - It wouldn't be an Atlus game if there wasn't a samurai (ronin) available. Front line damage dealers, in short. They have the unique function of working in stances though. Overhead, Seigan, and Iai are the three stances, the latter focusing on speed (and a chance to insta-kill enemies!). Represented by R at the shop.

Hexer - Don't let their apparent lack of arms fool you. These are not to be taken lightly. What they bring into battle is curses, debuffing the enemy. They also gain the ability "Evil Eye," which grants them mind control over an enemy (one of the functions underneath are to command the enemy to commit suicide). Represented by H at the shop.

Organizing Your Guild:

Retire:
Retiring a character requires level 30, at minimum. This function will remove a guild member, delete their equipped gear (de-equip before doing this!), and replace them with an entirely new character. The new character can be any class you want, but it is usually best to replace your previous character with the same type. The benefit of retirement is that the new character will have additional skill points from the start, as well as minor stat bonuses (a level 30 retired character will grant 5 skill points to the replacement, rather than 3). Every 10 levels adds an additional point to the skill bonus, and every 20 adds an additional point to the stat bonus.

Level 30 - 5 skill points, 1 stat point
Level 40 - 6 skill points, 1 stat point
Level 50 - 7 skill points, 2 stat points
Level 60 - 8 skill points, 2 stat points
Level 70 - 9 skill points, 3 stat points

The class you are retiring decides where the stat points end up.

STR: Landsknecht, Ronin, Dark Hunter
VIT: Protector
TEC: Medic, Alchemist, Hexer
AGI: Survivalist
LUC: Troubador

Only the level is used in determining skill and stat point increases. Retiring a character you created from a previous retirement will not have any effect! (this has yet to be tested, I believe) The maximum character level is 70.

Rest:
The rest function also requires level 30, minimum. This will reset a character's skill point allocation. However, it will also decrease their level by 10 (and as such, remove 10 skill points). The remaining points can be respent. Probably more useful for a character created after a retired one, because retirement essentially means reselecting skill points anyhow.

Leave:
As this implies, it will remove a character from your guild.

Henroid on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Combat Notes:

Boost:
    You'll notice in combat that there is a selection called "Boost" for all characters. Boost increases a character's power, making their next action more powerful than usual. It requires that a character's Boost Meter be filled, which is done so by both taking and dealing damage. Boost Meters will reset when the player leaves the labyrinth. Skills used while under the effects of Boost will have their level increased by 5 (so a level 5 ability will have the effects of a level 10 ability). It should be noted that the Dark Hunter has an ability that increases the effects of Boost.

Party Buffs:
    Your characters can only have 3 buffs active at any given time. Any more than that and the oldest (or first applied) buffs will begin to be overwritten. You can have buffs of the same effect active, but not the same exact buff (if one Protector uses Defender, and another does, they will not stack; however other +defense abilities if any will stack). Troubador songs last an entire battle, whereas most buffs last five turns. To view which buffs are active on a character, press Y for "Info" when you are selecting an action for them to take in battle.

FOE's:
    The thing about FOE's to remember is that they are, for the most part, optional encounters. FOE's either walk in a set path or become aggressive and follow you. The latter is activated in different ways, either by moving into their line of sight, encountering another FOE or enemy, or moving onto a specific tile. FOE's will move a space as you do, or as you take turns in battle. They are mini-bosses, in a sense, dropping better than average items and pretty decent experience. You will hate them at first, but over time as your character skills increase you won't exactly fear them.

About Stalkers... Normally I'd classify this as spoiler material because it interferes with exploration ever so slightly, but I've been messaged and seen people describe how discouraged they get in this game because of Stalkers.

In the first couple of rooms of B3F, you will encounter them. In the very first room, as you descend from the stairs, one will be visable on your map, already aggressive and going to make its move toward you to as you move. Chances are you aren't fit to fight these yet. To avoid the first one, simply walk straight, in the direction you're facing as you come down the stairs. You will have a close encounter with this guy, but every few steps he stops moving. Keep moving, and if you can avoid fighting battles (as turns make FOE's move a step), until you hit a wall to the south. Turn, and head west until you hit another wall, which has a door alongside it. Enter.

In this next room there is a Stalker blocking a narrow passage. He's easy to bypass - go to the north end of this room, effectively entering his line of sight, and step backward to make him move away from the passage. You can slip by him and be safe. There! You can now continue your adventuring! Be sure to return to these two as most other players do, if only to get revenge for being pests!

Making Money:
    Aside from running around from battle to battle, hoping for items to drop, there are locations in the dungeon where players can have their characters mine, pick (gather plants), or chop (wood), provided their characters have the skills necessary. Each point into a gathering skills grants two more uses a day, for a maximum of 20, and ups the success rate. Gathering skills are replenished only when one sleeps at the inn (naps do not count) or when the in-game clock rolls over to the next day. To speed up selling items to the shop, press the Y button, and items of the same type will sell at once. I will list locations here of popular resouce gathering spots after this thread takes off.

Map Making Tips:
    Admittedly this is something I'm throwing in myself. The auto-paint option in the menu is great to leave on. The "Warp" icon should be treated as you would a "Door" icon, only minus the line-drawing on two sides of the door (later dungeon levels will reveal why). That is to say, they shouldn't be placed on the tile you stand on to activate them, but on the side of the wall you have to face. Things can get complicated otherwise. The memo function has a cap to it. I learned this the hard way, having marked almost every icon I placed with a memo (like marking treasures with what was inside - what was I thinking?). Memos should be reserved mostly for "Item Point" icons (to inform you what it is you can gather from there). Lastly, you can see a wall from three spaces away - this can help in judging distance while mapping out the dungeon.

Unlocking the Ronin and Hexer:
    Inside the first spoiler for each I'll list what floor you unlock each class. The spoiler contained within those will gives details.
    Ronin
    You unlock the Ronin class on B11F, the first floor of the third stratum.
    Behind a door in the northern end of the map, in the middle (left to right wise), is a single panel room (that is, you can't move). Inside this room you will encounter the Ronin you first met from B3F. She will hand you a scroll. Take this scroll to the Guild Hall and you will have access to registering Ronin.
    Hexer
    You unlock the Hexer class on B16F, the first floor of the fourth stratum.
    As you make your way toward the path that eventually leads to the stairway going down, involving figuring out which sand belts to ride, you will encounter the Hexer you first met from B3F with the Ronin. She will hand you a bell. Take this bell to the Guild Hall and you will have access to registering Hexers.

Special Monster Drop List:
    There are monsters in this game that have a third item to drop listed in their profiles. These drops are activated by performing specific tasks in fighting and/or defeating them. The spoilered section below contains this information. Please note that not all enemies have a third drop.
    MONSTERS:

Woodfly (B1F, B2F Enemy) - Insect Eye (Kill with magic)
    Venomfly (B2F, B3F, B4F Enemy) - Insect Eye (Kill with magic)
    Mandrake (B3F, B4F, B5F Enemy) - Charcoal (Kill with Fire attacks)
    Firebird (B8F, B9F, B10F Enemy) - Carmine (Kill with Fire attacks)
    Mantis (B16F, B17F, B18F Enemy) - Silver Eye (Kill in 1 turn)
    Hellfly (B26F, B27F, B29F, B30F Enemy) - Cold Scale (Kill with Ice attacks)
    Iron Crab (B26F, B27F, B28F, B29F, B30F Enemy) - Holed Limb (Kill with Bow attacks) [Only Drop]
    Hazefly (B28F, B29F, B30F Enemy) - Cold Scale (Kill with Ice attacks)

FOEs:

Stalker (B3F FOE) - Harvester (Kill in one turn)
    Cruella (B18F, B19F, B20F FOE) - Rose Whip (Completely Bind, then kill)
    Diablolix (B18F, B19F, B20F FOE ) - Wine Whip (Completely Bind, then kill)
    Ogre (B20F FOE) - Evil Scale (Kill within 2 turns)
    Hunter (B20F FOE) - Evil Crest (Kill within 2 turns)
    Treetusk (B25F FOE) - Hex Marrow (Kill without using physical attacks)
    Dinolich (B21F, B22F, B24F FOE) - Sword Rib (Kill without using Bow attacks)
    Shellord (B26F, B27F, B29F FOE) - Old Shell (Kill without using Rods)
    Songbird (B26F, B27F, B30F FOE) - Gem Plume (Kill without Fire attacks)
    Macabre (B28F FOE) - Ebon Plume (Kill without using Bow attacks)

BOSSES:

Cotrangl (B15F BOSS) - Ice Spine (Do not kill with Fire attacks)
    Golem (B3F BOSS) - Statue Arm (Kill via Instantaneous Death)
    Wyvern (B8F, B10F BOSS) - Tough Fang (Kill within 3 turns) [Moves to B10F in post-game after a quest]
    Manticor (B17F BOSS) - Beast Eye (Kill within 10 turns)
    Alraune (B7F BOSS) - Velvet (Kill without using Fire attacks)
    Several of the above enemies are unlocked by special means, located in the following spoiler.
    Golem: Take on "The bandit's treasure" quest, which is unlocked by reaching B11F.
    Manticor: Defeat Iwaopeln of the 4th Stratum, you might have to go into the 5th Stratum. Then you can take the secret passage in B16F to get to his lair on B17F
    Alraune: Take on "Phantom of the Forest" quest, which is unlocked by reaching B21F.
    Wyvern: Will permanently move to B10F after you complete the quest "Call of the Wyvern", which is unlocked by reaching B26F (Post-Game).

Henroid on
  • Options
    telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Awesome and informative first posting mate.

I've only played EO for a couple of hours since I got it last night before I was too tired to keep going so I dunno if there's an easy way to tell, but it seems hard to work out what exactly each character is in certain places (such as the guild roster list) without going in and actually checking out their info.

With that in mind I've named all my characters with the first letter of their name as their class. So Sera and Sophia are my Survivalist, Mako is my Medic etc etc. Seems to be working well so far.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    Awesome and informative first posting mate.

I've only played EO for a couple of hours since I got it last night before I was too tired to keep going so I dunno if there's an easy way to tell, but it seems hard to work out what exactly each character is in certain places (such as the guild roster list) without going in and actually checking out their info.

With that in mind I've named all my characters with the first letter of their name as their class. So Sera and Sophia are my Survivalist, Mako is my Medic etc etc. Seems to be working well so far.

A lot of people seemed to have problems keeping track of who was who for a while. You're not the only one. :lol:

Aside from some weird class names, I think the classes are easy to tell what they generally do. But yeah, details are best brought up from accessing their menu in Custom.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I found out that this is basically an unholy union between JRPG and old school sirtech Wizardry games, and now I desperately want to find my DS back.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    theres really not any JRPG in there at all, beyond the anime style art

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think we also covered in the previous thread that Wizardry is, apparently, way huge in Japan.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Want to borrow an artist or someone to write and halp me with making a comic or something. :D

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pretty sure max level is 70, so not sure why 80 and 90 are listed. :P

Also, you'll probably find this useful, but VERY spoilery.

Finalized Monster Drop List (these are monsters whose 3rd drop have special requirements)
    If a monster is not on this list, then it has no specifications to obtain its drop. This was procured by killing those creatures listed with a third drop (The "Special" Drop) with every method possible in the game. There are (as far as I know) no other monsters in the game with specifications, it is just up to chance. Raise your LUC, get Scavenge, do something. It's all a gamble.

NOTE: Golem, Manticor, and Alraune are unlocked by doing certain things.

Golem: Take on "The bandit's treasure" quest, which is unlocked by reaching B11F.
    Manticor: Defeat Iwaopeln of the 4th Stratum, you might have to go into the 5th Stratum. Then you can take the secret passage in B16F to get to his lair on B17F
    Alraune: Take on "Phantom of the Forest" quest, which is unlocked by reaching B21F.
    Wyvern: Will permanently move to B10F after you complete the quest "Call of the Wyvern", which is unlocked by reaching B26F (Post-Game).

MONSTERS:

Woodfly (B1F, B2F Enemy) - Insect Eye (Kill with magic)
    Venomfly (B2F, B3F, B4F Enemy) - Insect Eye (Kill with magic)
    Mandrake (B3F, B4F, B5F Enemy) - Charcoal (Kill with Fire attacks)
    Firebird (B8F, B9F, B10F Enemy) - Carmine (Kill with Fire attacks)
    Mantis (B16F, B17F, B18F Enemy) - Silver Eye (Kill in 1 turn)
    Hellfly (B26F, B27F, B29F, B30F Enemy) - Cold Scale (Kill with Ice attacks)
    Iron Crab (B26F, B27F, B28F, B29F, B30F Enemy) - Holed Limb (Kill with Bow attacks) [Only Drop]
    Hazefly (B28F, B29F, B30F Enemy) - Cold Scale (Kill with Ice attacks)

FOEs:

Stalker (B3F FOE) - Harvester (Kill in one turn)
    Cruella (B18F, B19F, B20F FOE) - Rose Whip (Completely Bind, then kill)
    Diablolix (B18F, B19F, B20F FOE ) - Wine Whip (Completely Bind, then kill)
    Ogre (B20F FOE) - Evil Scale (Kill within 2 turns)
    Hunter (B20F FOE) - Evil Crest (Kill within 2 turns)
    Treetusk (B25F FOE) - Hex Marrow (Kill without using physical attacks)
    Dinolich (B21F, B22F, B24F FOE) - Sword Rib (Kill without using Bow attacks)
    Shellord (B26F, B27F, B29F FOE) - Old Shell (Kill without using Rods)
    Songbird (B26F, B27F, B30F FOE) - Gem Plume (Kill without Fire attacks)
    Macabre (B28F FOE) - Ebon Plume (Kill without using Bow attacks)

BOSSES:

Cotrangl (B15F BOSS) - Ice Spine (Do not kill with Fire attacks)
    Golem (B3F BOSS) - Statue Arm (Kill via Instantaneous Death)
    Wyvern (B8F, B10F BOSS) - Tough Fang (Kill within 3 turns) [Moves to B10F in post-game after a quest]
    Manticor (B17F BOSS) - Beast Eye (Kill within 10 turns)
    Alraune (B7F BOSS) - Velvet (Kill without using Fire attacks)

BTW, apotheos should've said "Thread retired" in that old thread.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    OP doesn't contain enough FOEs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbnu0NKs86Y

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, wow, I didn't know the game had that low a level cap. Hrm.

Also, excellent info Dracil. I'll add it in (spoilered as well).

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    so do bosses respawn like FOEs? i think Fenrir had another drop listed, and it would be pretty lame not to be able to ever get it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so do bosses respawn like FOEs? i think Fenrir had another drop listed, and it would be pretty lame not to be able to ever get it.

They do, but I don't know the timer.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It takes about 14 days for bosses (and everything) to respawn. You can just make a party of level 1s, and sleep at the inn to pass time.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Billmaan wrote: »
    It takes about 14 days for bosses (and everything) to respawn. You can just make a party of level 1s, and sleep at the inn to pass time.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? Not that I slept at the inn with my level 48's to pass the time.

Edit - I'm compiling this list with skill data, and holy hell, if I keep doing it as I currently am it's going to come out really bloated. I need new formatting.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Great first post...much better than my original one.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RamenRamen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    With that special monster drop list...
    Additional #1: Just because you fulfill the requirements to get the drop does not mean it will drop. You can still get nothing. It's really just chance.

Additional #2: If monsters have a third drop but they are not in this list, then the drop is just really rare. There are no secrets to getting it. I have to reiterate because people feel otherwise.

Additional #3: The specific killing methods, such as kill without fire magic or kill without physical attacks. These do not mean you cannot use them during the battle. It just means the final hit must not be of that type. The game will check to see what method was used to deal the final blow first and then check to see if you pass to get an item or not. So it will not care that you used Inferno 89583857357375 times during the battle, as long as the 89583857357376th hit was not Inferno.

Also, excel file with skill list and purty pictures.

Not sure how you can encorporate this into the thread, but maybe it'll help.
    http://www.mindspring.com/~torajima/public/skill_calculator.zip

Ramen on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    theres really not any JRPG in there at all, beyond the anime style art

Combat is done in quintessential JRPG style.

Some things I'd add to the OP to help new players:

A paragraph about BOOST. Mention that it fills up by attacking or being attacked, is reset by staying at the inn, and when used boosts the power of attacks and some skills.

I'd modify the Troubador description to mention their ability to restore the TP of the entire party (their most useful skill by far). I'd also modify the Landsknecht and Dark Hunter descriptions to indicate the pros of each weapon choice (L Swords = multi-enemy attacks; Axes = More powerful single hit attacks; D whips = binding & poison, swords = miscellaneous status effects).

I'd include a note that skills tend to get bigger boosts at LV5 & LV10.

I'd mention that you can use the Y button to sell all of a certain type of item at the store.

Finally, I'd add a paragraph about buffs. Characters can only have 3 different buffs at a time before new buffs start to replace old ones. Pressing Y shows which buffs and debuffs are currently working on the active character. Troubador songs tend to last the entire battle whereas most other buffs only last 5 turns.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Awwwwww! I was going to do the Hijack thread! :(

Hehe. Oh wells.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So I finally worked up the courage to take on the Boss on the B10F. He was pretty easy to my level 34 party. He would call some friends, and I would use Inferno, and keep mauling the boss.

The 3rd Stratum is pretty :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Some things I'd add to the OP to help new players:

A paragraph about BOOST. Mention that it fills up by attacking or being attacked, is reset by staying at the inn, and when used boosts the power of attacks and some skills.

To add, Boost meters are reset by entering town. So even if you don't use the inn, the moment you step out of the Labyrinth, your meter is gone. Another important note is that when you use a skill under Boost, the skill level increases by 5 for that round. This has been tested by using skills such as Multihit, or Midareba at lvl 5, which only does 2 hits, but when boosted, will actually do 3 hits (Which is unlocked at skill lvl 10).

Ramen on
  • Options
    RossRoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So when you retire is your new char lvl 1? Besides the stat bonuses whats the plus side to doing this over resting? (Maybe I am missing something here..)

Also is there anyway to see the amount of time you've played? I am curious... and my characters are only lvl 7 and it feels like I've played a good amount of time.. or maybe I havent? O_o

Ross on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ross wrote: »
    So when you retire is your new char lvl 1? Besides the stat bonuses whats the plus side to doing this over resting? (Maybe I am missing something here..)

Also is there anyway to see the amount of time you've played? I am curious... and my characters are only lvl 7 and it feels like I've played a good amount of time.. or maybe I havent? O_o

When you rest someone, you lose 10 levels and you are able to reallocate all their skill points again. (Avaliable at lvl 30+) If you rest a character at lvl 30, you will only be able to reallocate their skill points up to level 20 (23 skill points, or more depending on retirement bonuses).

When you retire someone, they start over at level 1, but are added extra skill points and stat points, relative to their level when you retired them. The higher the level when retired, the more skill and stat points you gain.

For example, a fresh level 1 without any retirement bonus starts out with no bonus stat points, and 3 skill points to spend.
    A level 30 retired Protector starts out with +1 bonus stat point to VIT, and 5 skill points.

Let it be noted that you have to enter a battle for the bonus stat point to actually show up on your stat screen.

AFIAK, there is no timer in the game. Probably a good thing.

Ramen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

When you retire it makes an ENHANCED level 1 character. Depending on the level of the original retired character, you will get bonuses to your stats and added skill points.

Makes that character alot more powerful. And it wont take that long to level him up; You can bring him down to the deepest part of the labyrinth and power level him up to your level in a few hours.

I'm also curious to see if there's a way to see how long you've played.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The rest function also requires level 30, minimum. This will reset a character's skill point allocation. However, it will also decrease their level by 10. Probably more useful for a character created after a retired one, because retirement essentially means reselecting skill points anyhow.

So every time you rest, your maximum skill point count at 70 goes up by 10? That sounds tons better than retiring.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I dont really need to see that. I get depressed enough as it is seeing that I've put DAYS into playing Pokemon. >_>

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    The rest function also requires level 30, minimum. This will reset a character's skill point allocation. However, it will also decrease their level by 10. Probably more useful for a character created after a retired one, because retirement essentially means reselecting skill points anyhow.

So every time you rest, your maximum skill point count at 70 goes up by 10? That sounds tons better than retiring.
    No, you don't get extra skill points. You lose 10 levels and the corresponding skill points, and whatever points are left get reset.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I dont really need to see that. I get depressed enough as it is seeing that I've put DAYS into playing Pokemon. >_>

Yeah... but....

The past few days I played it during a trip to Pittsburgh (4.5 hour drive) back and forth, and I spent about 2 hours last night, and about 3 hours the night before...

Looks like i"m going to have to tally my own time into it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    EQDuffy wrote: »

That would be game breaking. Read my explanation two posts above yours.

Ramen on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I've always been fascinated with played times for some reason D:

My characters are only lvl 7 and I feel like I've spent a decent amount of time playing.. maybe I havent... I just want to know! :(

And I am really curious to know the amount of time the people which characters lvl 30+ have logged in to their games...:?:

Ross on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I've always been fascinated with played times for some reason D:

My characters are only lvl 7 and I feel like I've spent a decent amount of time playing.. maybe I havent... I just want to know! :(

And I am really curious to know the amount of time the people which characters lvl 30+ have logged in to their games...:?:

Honestly? I'm level 34 and I've probably put a good: 30-40 hours into it. Maybe more. I did about 10 hours in two days, so that helped out alot.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Honestly? I'm level 34 and I've probably put a good: 30-40 hours into it. Maybe more. I did about 10 hours in two days, so that helped out alot.

What BF are you on?

Also from the way I understand it... Rest is good for if you're unhappy with your current characters build and would want to sacrifice 10 levels to "respec" and Retirement is where you'd like to create an ehanced character but will cost you alot of time power lvling..

Ross on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love that my characters are only lvl 7 and I am completely obsessed with reading about this game at work and I can't wait to go home and play... I definitely need to spend more time in this game.

Right now I am exploring BF2 and I noticed there a 3 FOES? I've defeated Ragelope.. what are the other two wandering around?

Ross on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What BF are you on?

Also from the way I understand it... Rest is good for if you're unhappy with your current characters build and would want to sacrifice 10 levels to "respec" and Retirement is where you'd like to create an ehanced character but will cost you alot of time power lvling..

I'm on B11F. And you're right, Rest is good if you're only unhappy about their skills. Retiring them makes a new enhanced character for you to level.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I love that my characters are only lvl 7 and I am completely obsessed with reading about this game at work and I can't wait to go home and play... I definitely need to spend more time in this game.

Right now I am exploring BF2 and I noticed there a 3 FOES? I've defeated Rapelope.. what are the other two wandering around?

They're pretty random at times. The other two might be Rapelopes but one of them is pretty the Warbull (I can't remember his name, but he's alot harder than the Rapelope).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What BF are you on?

I'm on B11F. And you're right, Rest is good if you're only unhappy about their skills. Retiring them makes a new enhanced character for you to level.

For some reason this totally excites me to see you've spent about 30-40 hours and you're only on the 11th floor out of the supposed 30? O_o

Ross on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

What BF are you on?

For some reason this totally excites me to see you've spent about 30-40 hours and you're only on the 11th floor out of the supposed 30? O_o

Oh yes, and I'm taking my time from now on. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Right now I am exploring BF2 and I noticed there a 3 FOES? I've defeated Rapelope.. what are the other two wandering around?

They're pretty random at times. The other two might be Rapelopes but one of them is pretty the Warbull (I can't remember his name, but he's alot harder than the Rapelope).

Haha.. I took "Rapelope" pretty easily with the following party:

Protector, LS
    Survivalist, Alchemist, Medic

Rapelope missed a few screams... or hit random characters down to about 1-10hp while I healed when I could. My alchemist's poison pretty much took him out while I beat him down with my melee classes and tried to provoke with my Protector to keep aggro. My medic ending up dying the last round :( but I still took that bitch out.

It's also funny how my play style, especially boss encounters resemble the "raid" style of Everquest by focusing aggro on one char, keeping him up, and dishing out the dmg with everyone else :lol:

Ross on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Haha.. I took "Rapelope" pretty easily with the following party:

Protector, LS
    Survivalist, Alchemist, Medic

Rapelope missed a few screams... or hit random characters down to about 1-10hp while I healed when I could. My alchemist's poison pretty much took him out while I beat him down with my melee classes and tried to provoke with my Protector to keep aggro. My medic ending up dying the last round :( but I still took that bitch out.

It's also funny how my play style, especially boss encounters resemble the "raid" style of Everquest by focusing aggro on one char, keeping him up, and dishing out the dmg with everyone else :lol:

Haha, good for you. I know I got raped a few times by Rapelope, and have yet to recover.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The good times keep on rolling for the DS, eh? This looks really damn cool.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm getting this horrible urge to restart again, thinking that I can get a party combination that's even more awesome than my current one. >_>

Currently going with a PSDAM party. But I really want a troubador and a landsneckt in there too! argh.

Synthetic Orange on