As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    So SNL had a whole sketch laughing at Quebecois stereotypes, and like every time American media represents foreigners, it was basically a funhouse mirror of weird assumptions and misattributed stereotypes (Quebecois drive Peugeots and smoke cigarettes inside, but also worship Drake?)

But for what it’s worth, the fact that it was so absurd made it way funnier to me and it’s probably my favorite SNL sketch in a WHILE

As much as South park has pissed me off on occasion over the years, I will always love the effort they put in to make fun of Canadians, some effort shitting on Canada when they do it.

The brief South Park parody of Quebec is prrrrobably slightly more accurate than the SNL one, if I have to give props.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The best joke out of that whole SNL sketch, honestly, is when the anchors are "commenting" on the headline and they kinda mumble between themselves and pipe up to say Longueuil and Frontenac (respectively a suburb of Montreal and a street in Montreal, also both are the names of metro stations).

That, they got 100% on the money.

Also Bowen Yang is a surprisingly competent Quebecois swearer. Kate McKinnon is from Montreal so as expected her accent is pretty spot-on.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I know somebody who has been enjoying recent adaptations of Garth Ennis comics and now they think Garth Ennis is really great even though theyve never read any of the comics and get mad when I say mean stuff about Garth Ennis but I dont think I should stop I dont think anyone shouldnt say mean stuff about Garth Ennis all the time

except for hitman #34, that is a very good comic book issue

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If anybody fell off of “Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts” and is wondering if it’s worth going back to it’s definitely fine. It feels like a shows that exists in conversation with recent animated giants Steven Universe and She-ra but I can’t say it really reaches the heights either of those shows did.

I also don’t really have any complaints. Everything about the show is fine all around.

tangentially related, I should probably get around to Steven Universe at some point. One of the songs ("Stronger Than You") popped up on Spotify and it seemed pretty good. Is it representative of the show, or somewhat atypical?

Tamin on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    If anybody fell off of “Kipo and the Age of the Wonderbeasts” and is wondering if it’s worth going back to it’s definitely fine. It feels like a shows that exists in conversation with recent animated giants Steven Universe and She-ra but I can’t say it really reaches the heights either of those shows did.

I also don’t really have any complaints. Everything about the show is fine all around.

tangentially related, I should probably get around to Steven Universe at some point. One of the songs ("Stronger Than You") popped up on Spotify and it seemed pretty good. Is it representative of the show, or somewhat atypical?

I’m just gonna run away from this topic, casually, at full sprint.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The SNL Quebec sketch did not resonate with me at all.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    garth ennis has gotten less and less interesting as his career has gone on

I still like his run on Hellblazer (dillon's art notwithstanding), and there's a lot to like about Hitman

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Typical I suppose.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I know somebody who has been enjoying recent adaptations of Garth Ennis comics and now they think Garth Ennis is really great even though theyve never read any of the comics and get mad when I say mean stuff about Garth Ennis but I dont think I should stop I dont think anyone shouldnt say mean stuff about Garth Ennis all the time

except for hitman #34, that is a very good comic book issue

I dont even think Garth Ennis is fundamentally terrible and indeed his War Stories are good to really fucking excellent but my lord what a knob

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So SNL had a whole sketch laughing at Quebecois stereotypes, and like every time American media represents foreigners, it was basically a funhouse mirror of weird assumptions and misattributed stereotypes (Quebecois drive Peugeots and smoke cigarettes inside, but also worship Drake?)

But for what it’s worth, the fact that it was so absurd made it way funnier to me and it’s probably my favorite SNL sketch in a WHILE

As much as South park has pissed me off on occasion over the years, I will always love the effort they put in to make fun of Canadians, some effort shitting on Canada when they do it.

The brief South Park parody of Quebec is prrrrobably slightly more accurate than the SNL one, if I have to give props.

"To go anywhere in Canada, you just follow the only road" pops into my head at least once a month and makes me giggle

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    on a lark during early quarantine I decided I would watch all of PREACHER and I did it and that was a huge mistake

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Gustav wrote: »
    on a lark during early quarantine I decided I would watch all of PREACHER and I did it and that was a huge mistake

I only saw the first season

Kinda hated the last episode, but the episode where the angels kept regenerating and getting killed in that hotel room was pretty solid

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think Garth Ennis has some genuinely great story ideas (Preacher's core concept kinda rules?), and he needs to then hand those ideas to a writer who isn't a complete shock jockey.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

I enjoyed the first couple seasons, haven't gotten to the new one yet.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2020

I only saw the first season

Kinda hated the last episode, but the episode where the angels kept regenerating and getting killed in that hotel room was pretty solid

There are decent bits and good scenes in the first two seasons. But there are four seasons.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    whoops

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Preacher s4
    Herr Starr gets a happy ending. Sure there is a season of him having a rotting fake ear made of barely stitched together foreskin continually harvested from Cassidy's junk. But even still you don't give Herr Starr a happy ending.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »
    The SNL Quebec sketch did not resonate with me at all.

Totally fair. I honestly wouldn't expect anyone who isn't a francophone Quebecois to appreciate it the way I did. Even then, I bet not everyone here would find it as funny as I did.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also Preacher's decision to elevate Hitler to a main cast member is never nearly as clever as the writers think it is

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    My wife finally felt like watching Watchmen, so I've been rewatching it while she goes through it for the first time. Everything holds up on second viewing and there are little details throughout that I actually enjoy more knowing what happens later.

I think this is probably the best single season of television I've ever seen? Racking my brain, but can't come up with anything that would top it for me.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Watchmen, but you'd have to produce one hell of a single season of television to ever come against Terriers (for me).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I think Watchmen doesn't stick the landing as hard as it needs to but its good tv!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    doomcock is the only good thing ennis has ever written

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    garth ennis is a weird one for me. i think he has significantly more hits than misses, but like something about his sense of humor renders it completely undetectable to a vast portion of his audience. and i don't know if that's empowering him to be lazier or if he's just ramping up the grossness to take the piss out of them or what, but it lacks that grounding that made hellblazer, hitman, and punisher max work

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I haven't seen Watchmen, but you'd have to produce one hell of a single season of television to ever come against Terriers (for me).

Terriers is waaaaay up there for me. Possibly #2. But overall I think Watchmen is better.

gus, I would agree that the finale isn't quite up to the level of the rest of the show. The rest of the show is so good though that it doesn't matter.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    watchmen isn't even the best season of dc comics tv from 2019, that honor goes to doom patrol

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    somebody has been uploading a bunch of episodes of antiques roadshow to youtube and I think we have a new nominee for the Nobel

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    somebody has been uploading a bunch of episodes of antiques roadshow to youtube and I think we have a new nominee for the Nobel

yeah tell that astrophysics person who got it for the black hole at the center of the milky way to hit the bricks

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    the best single season of tv is, and always will be, sweet/vicious

unless we get a season two

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

use your powers to bring it back

i don't think the comic book ever actually came out either

• Options
    fuck, i will never not be mad about sweet/vicious, a show made exactly for me, being canceled

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Clone High would probably be my pick for single season show

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    now I've heard of freaks, and I've heard of geeks, but a show that has Freaks AND Geeks?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Fargo season two is probably my favorite season of television, but Terriers really gives it a run for its money

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2020
    Patriot S1 may be the most perfectly, exquisitely crafted single tv series I’ve ever seen. I’m sad they didn’t get an S3 but tbh I would have been completely happy if they’d ended after the first season.

tynic on
  • Options

use your powers to bring it back

i don't think the comic book ever actually came out either

i'm trying to!!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I think mine is probably the second season of Barry, or possibly the second season of Daria

• Options
    I think Watchmen doesn't stick the landing as hard as it needs to but its good tv!

I like it less and less the further we get from it but I do think the episode about hooded justice is an all-timer

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Watchmen didn’t go far enough for me to fall behind it unequivocally, but I’m also amazed it was allowed to go as far as it did.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Second season of The Leftovers for me.

This discussion has been closed.