As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread:

Plumber issues

TenekTenek Registered User regular
We had a plumber come out to install a new dishwasher a couple weeks ago. Part of the reason we looked for a plumber specifically was that we thought there were some problems with the water supply for the existing dishwasher, which didn't actually work. We mentioned this when we reached out initially and again when the guy actually got here. He connected everything, ran a test rinse cycle and charged us an arm and a leg ($400 CAD + tax), which I kind of figured we'd end up eating as the cost of not communicating properly.

Later that day we ran the first load of dishes and... something broke and started spewing water all over the place. So we called the plumbing company and they sent out a couple guys who came over and fixed the dishwasher connection, which had ruptured, for free. Unfortunately, the water went all over the place, through the floor, and was soaking a lot of the things in our basement.

We called our homeowner's insurance company and have started the claims process, which I suppose is fine on its own... but now we're not only going to be out the cost of the dishwasher install, but another $500 deductible for the claim. I don't know if they're planning to go after the plumber to recoup anything and can certainly check with them, but if there's nothing either way - is it reasonable (or likely) to get a refund for the original installation?

The rough case for is is:
- I specifically told them about the suspected issues with the water supply, which was the part that blew up
- When I called them to report the problem, they immediately told me about how the connection was old and crummy (before anyone arrived), which indicates they knew this was a problem and didn't even tell me when they did the original install

Is there a good way to phrase "refund plz"? As I paid with a credit card I think I can at least attempt a chargeback if that doesn't work... but I'm also not sure if it's small enough / not-their-fault enough to just suck it up. I figure since the original cost was so high it'll basically pay the insurance deductible.


  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Be ready for small claims court.

  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    If your having your insurance take care of it, they should replace the dish washer and the flooring. That being said if you choose to sue, you have to ask your insurance company for permission. You could end up getting involved in the subrogation process. Because your insurance company has the right to sue for their money first.

    Call your bank and plead your case and see if they’ll do a charge back.

  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Maybe go in for a free consultation with a lawyer and bring all your documents and so? Get an idea on if it would be a good idea to try this or not.

    I can has cheezburger, yes?
Sign In or Register to comment.