As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spellbreak: The RPG Battle royal you didn't know you needed.

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited September 2020 in Games and Technology
maxresdefault.jpg

Spellbreak is an RPG mage vs mage battle royal.

In Spellbreak you go toe to toe with other mages with spell gauntlets. Fight against 40 players for loot that you can find in chests, gain powers of other mage classes with spell gauntlets, and power up with special skill runes that alter how you play the game.

Different gauntlets give special attacks that can pair well with other elements. As you play and gain levels, you gain different masteries that give bonuses in 3 different categories.

Play in a squad settings or solo against up to 40 players.

https://youtu.be/n6MRg-D3T-w

Spellbreak is free across all platforms and has already launched.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I played 13+ hours so far, but I think I'm probably done until they add some sort of skill based matchmaking. It just kinda sucks running into a group that's so much better than you that you can't even use it as a learning experience cause you get wrecked so hard.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This game has the best combat mechanics I've played in a long long time. It's BR mechanics are so bland, though.

If you're having trouble with fights, I recommend watching this guys tutorials:

I've learned a lot watching him and generally finish top 5 as a result. I've got all gauntlets to 6 except for Fire, which is at 5. I still have a hard time with clearly better players, but I can hold my own in most fights.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have loved this game, but I think it's pretty dead until they get some more content in. Was in on the burst but populations have dropped massively since that first week. Still, I have high hopes because the core idea is super fun.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I finished top ten in my first two matches (not counting the first one which assisted to be a practice as I won handily) then was the first to die in my third due to greed

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Are they still filling your first dozen games or so mostly with bots?

• Options
    The first game seemed like bots, but the others had players acting more like players - jumping all over the place and hiding and stuff

Although the ones who killed me might have been elite bots using bullshit hacking tactics

• Options
    edited September 2020
    First three or so games are 100% bots. Sorry...

Although, it sounds like that might have changed. Bots notoriously don't jump. And if they do, they jump straight up and down and stay still for a long while after. So it sounds like you faced real players in your 2nd and 3rd games.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I also noticed that in the first game there wasn't anybody mucking about in the lobby, but there were in the next games

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    First three or so games are 100% bots. Sorry...

Although, it sounds like that might have changed. Bots notoriously don't jump. And if they do, they jump straight up and down and stay still for a long while after. So it sounds like you faced real players in your 2nd and 3rd games.

My 2nd/3rd game had a few other players in.

Also this game seems neat. Though definitely falls under the "probably would be better if it weren't a battle royale" umbrella.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Gameplay looks super fun but correct me if I’m wrong, there doesn’t seem to be a way to respawn eliminated squad mates?

Come on. BRs have evolved away from that boring, die and spectate all game, idea

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Gameplay looks super fun but correct me if I’m wrong, there doesn’t seem to be a way to respawn eliminated squad mates?

Come on. BRs have evolved away from that boring, die and spectate all game, idea

If you die you turn into a glowy orb that has a very long (60s?) timer, during which your teammate can come over and bring you back up. If an enemy spends the time to finish you while you are an orb or if that timer runs out, you don't have a way to come back, no.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    TBH the games are knife edge and quick enough that respawns would probably just feel lame and frustrating.

It's like 10 minutes if you ignore the final circle of 5 people trying to aim with hard weapons.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Oh that’s better I guess. I hated Fortnite cause I was too scared to play confident and risk dying early. Apex solved that.

I still don’t love that but if it’s quick enough less of an issue

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I don't like the drop system at all. I do think they need a better solution for it. I also think that the ability to respawn team mates should be put in, even though the game is shorter, simply because it encourages finishing encounters.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I can't get enough of the combat in Spellbreak. I've tried fortnite and other shooter BRs such as Black ops, but nothing really felt exciting for me.

Spellbreak on the other hand, hit the nail on the head. The battles are really exciting and personal, and the loot chests have an RPG feel to them.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I played a bit on xbox last night. It was a weird experience after playing 100% of the time on PC (with controller) previously.

The pop is much lower, maybe 20 people per lobby and the skill gaps are much much wider. Most fights I got into I was either way better than the opponent (not counting bots) or they absolutely crushed me. Compared to PC where 90% of the fights feel close enough to the same skill level that its interesting.

I pulled off a win on Xbox in a circle with much less skilled opponents and an oddly relatively easy fight. I feel like PC final circle, otoh, is almost always filled with tough fights.