As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fighting [chat]asy

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    hello i need a snake removal expert to come to alabama and help mee out real quick please and thank you

have you tried stepping on it

snakes hate this one trick

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Gadsden Exterminators

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Speaking of simply buying more to be happy, my car is perfectly fine but what if I bought a new one?!!!!!!!
    It's 5 years old and I bet I drive it for at least another 10 years before I even consider replacing it

Orca on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Emails are theft

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i want to upgrade my PC at christmas but my brain is like "why not just do a rebuild?" despite absolutely minimal benefit

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i want to upgrade my PC at christmas but my brain is like "why not just do a rebuild?" despite absolutely minimal benefit

The capitalism Gods demand their tribute, Tav

• Options

Yeah. You need a new 16 core CPU! And a $1500 GPU! And that means you need a new motherboard! And the GPU means you need a new PSU! Might as well just get new RAM and a case at that point!

(the truth is you probably just need a new mid-tier videocard)

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah. You need a new 16 core CPU! And a $1500 GPU! And that means you need a new motherboard! And the GPU means you need a new PSU! Might as well just get new RAM and a case at that point!

i'm gonna get a 3080 but also i'm using a 5th gen i5 which could probably do with a refresh so i'm leaning towards the 9900k since it's the best i can fit onto my mobo and its not that much more expensive than the i7

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    So I finally bought Hades last night and WOW it is fantastic. The combat feels really good. I love the spear. And all of the characters and their voice acting are so cool. Deaths integrate so well with the story and progression mechanics.

• Options

i'm gonna get a 3080 but also i'm using a 5th gen i5 which could probably do with a refresh so i'm leaning towards the 9900k since it's the best i can fit onto my mobo and its not that much more expensive than the i7

What motherboard do you have? Intel's been doing quite a bit of motherboard replacement without concern for backwards compatibility of late.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I've been waffling on the video card upgrade.

I really like the idea of a 3090 or even a 3080, but then I look at the price tag, and think... with taxes included, that's ~$800/$1600 I could send to a charity that services at-risk/vunlerable-demographic youts in my area.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I don't want to spend a thousand dollars on a video card again, but the 3080 is super tempting. I'm telling myself to wait and pick up a 3070 once it's out and supply catches up.

But I really want to know the performance difference between my 1080 and the 3080 and 3070. And then see what AMD is doing (Although I'll probably stick with NVidia).

• Options
    Yeah, I might go for a 3080. My 1080 Ti is fine, but I can't always crank the detail up to max and it would be nice to get on that RTX train for compatible games.

I'd also like to go for a 16 core CPU--I'm finding myself CPU limited for editing, which was not a use case I expected myself to be concerned about when I built this machine for gaming.

• Options

What motherboard do you have? Intel's been doing quite a bit of motherboard replacement without concern for backwards compatibility of late.

some one from a couple of years ago, lga1151 tho

• Options
    For me I just wanted to future-proof for the next decade or so

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    For me I just wanted to future-proof for the next decade or so

But that just means you'll have to replace it in 2021.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Any recommendations for a computer desk I could order online?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I see this week's Oglaf is topical to the people picking up Hades recently.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Ikea?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I am gonna build a flat PC that uses a 90° connector for the GPU, liquid cooling, and mounts on the wall.

My apartment is the computer case

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I've dismantled my bed and am now going to buy a new one. Part of me just wants to buy the same one as before because it matches my furniture.

Anyone got bed recommendations in black or dark wood?

• Options

some one from a couple of years ago, lga1151 tho

That suggests you have a 6th generation i5. I'd highly suggest grabbing the motherboard and CPU info from e.g. CPU-Z to check compatibility. That it's LGA 1151 is promising though!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So, I have a semi ridiculous 1500 dollar build, sans GPU, sitting in my wishlist at newegg. I will be swapping out the CPU in the build when AMD announces their stuff in October, and the GPU will mostly be decided by how good the AMD 6900 card is, AND this whole thing could get kiboshed if the performance over eGPU is "good enough" for me to not need to buy a PC at all, at which point the all-in cost is 400 + whatever the GPU costs.

My three options:

1. Razer Chroma Core eGPU chassis + High end Radeon card for my Macbook Pro
    2. High End Radeon in a Ryzen Build
    3. 3080 in a Ryzen Build

I still find myself wanting number one for simplicity's sake, but I suspect these new cards are outstripping what thunderbolt can do, even if I am broadcasting to an external monitor and I have an i9 in the laptop.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    And master chaos is gender non binary!

I love the design of chaos so much!
    Although tbh I read Chaos as female and definitely call them she--but loser reads Chaos as male. That's an indication of fun nb design to me!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    NSFW
    iu74tAo.jpeg

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Elki wrote: »

If standing, I use one of these: https://www.upliftdesk.com/

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    NSFW
    iu74tAo.jpeg

Cat butts are cute, but any artistic depictions of cat butts that are more graphic than * is actually upsetting

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I can't play Hades because my hands are jacked up and thus continued discussion is violence

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    TIL i can understand about 50% of the conversation when 2-3 people are speaking swedish on discord at the same time

guild event success

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    @Tav

I did some digging, and I don't think you'll be able to slot an i9 9900 into your motherboard successfully.

Wikipedia's got an LGA 1151 page that's informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

There's several revisions, and compatibility looks like it's a problem.
    • 100 series: LGA 1151 rev 1. 6th generation (Skylake) compatible, 7th generation (Kaby Lake) compatible with bios upgrade, not compatible with 8th generation (Coffee Lake)
    • 200 series: LGA 1151 rev 1. 6th generation (Skylake) compatible, 7th generation (Kaby Lake) compatible, not compatible with 8th generation (Coffee Lake)
    • 300 series: LGA 1151 rev 2. 8th generation (Coffee Lake) compatible, 9th generation (Coffee Lake Refresh) compatible with bios upgrade, NOT compatible with 6th or 7th generation (Skylake or Kaby Lake).

I'd strongly recommend getting CPU-Z to confirm your CPU and motherboard so we can check compatibility and where on this spectrum you lie.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I can routinely get to the third Hades boss with the shield or the spear

But I get thwomped at that point. That shit's rough.

Is anyone using the mirror's
    alternate stuff? It all sounds worse than the purple stuff.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
  • Options
    I just die to the first boss and then chuck my switch lite out the window

It then reappears in my hand because this is hell and I am tantalus

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I can routinely get to the third Hades boss with the shield or the spear

But I get thwomped at that point. That shit's rough.

Is anyone using the mirror's
    alternate stuff? It all sounds worse than the purple stuff.
    I use “casts are cool downs instead of dislodge from enemies”, which works better in my play style. I also use the death defy for less Heath, but you get one per room.

With the shield, I found that you can just circle around the room tossing casts and the shield at the bosses, and auto-aim will pretty much do the work for you. Prioritize the Minotaur, obviously, and it’s a marathon, not a sprint. My last spear run had the flurry jab thing, which burns down health like crazy. Theseus is mostly about dodging until there are openings in his shield defense.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Tav

I did some digging, and I don't think you'll be able to slot an i9 9900 into your motherboard successfully.

Wikipedia's got an LGA 1151 page that's informative: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1151

• 100 series: LGA 1151 rev 1. 6th generation (Skylake) compatible, 7th generation (Kaby Lake) compatible with bios upgrade, not compatible with 8th generation (Coffee Lake)
    • 200 series: LGA 1151 rev 1. 6th generation (Skylake) compatible, 7th generation (Kaby Lake) compatible, not compatible with 8th generation (Coffee Lake)
    • 300 series: LGA 1151 rev 2. 8th generation (Coffee Lake) compatible, 9th generation (Coffee Lake Refresh) compatible with bios upgrade, NOT compatible with 6th or 7th generation (Skylake or Kaby Lake).

I'd strongly recommend getting CPU-Z to confirm your CPU and motherboard so we can check compatibility and where on this spectrum you lie.

huh there i was thinking socket info was enough

booo

• Options
    Tav

huh there i was thinking socket info was enough

booo

That's true for AMD, but Intel has been a huge butt about compatibility for years now. :(

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I am gonna build a flat PC that uses a 90° connector for the GPU, liquid cooling, and mounts on the wall.

My apartment is the computer case
    WdPsKGG.jpg

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.