As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sweatshops and Lycan lap dances.

AlhmadorAlhmador Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article648072.ece

As if gamers didn't have enough to worry about. Now people who play WoW and other MMOs didn't have enough to deal with. Now we're (indirectly) responsible for putting people into sweatshops in China. Honestly.

In any case... While I was reading the story I saw some interesting things written. It's odd. I personally never knew of anyone who received a lap dance from a lycra-wearing werewolf in an MMO. Also... I don't believe that it is possible to *mug* a character. At least not in the way these people are describing. Food for thought. Pretty weird stuff.

Alhmador on

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So by playing WoW, I'm helping create a market where previously there was none, and as such, jobs for people previously unemployed...and I should feel bad about that? Fuck no. If playing WoW is enabling otherwise unemployed people to make money, I should feel good about that.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, not exactly. I assumed you were meaning that the factories that actually printed the WoW CD's were sweatshops.

If you buy gold, then yes - perhaps.

Maybe you need "Fair Trade" farmers.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That article reveals several things, none of which include it's topic material. Those things are:

1) The quotes selected misrepresent the playing experience and the impact of gold farmers on the every day experience of gamers

2) The writer has little to no experience with MMOs

3) Any article that lumps Second Life and WoW together is doomed to failure

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So by playing WoW, I'm helping create a market where previously there was none, and as such, jobs for people previously unemployed...and I should feel bad about that? Fuck no. If playing WoW is enabling otherwise unemployed people to make money, I should feel good about that.

Playing WoW has nothing to do with it; buying gold and/or power leveling services drives these markets.

Edit: As for using these services, these are some reasons why I think they should be stopped:

By paying for gold and/or power leveling services, you're also negatively impacting the game experience of others indirectly. In WoW, gold farming causes AH prices to rise, sometimes beyond the means of players who do not use those services. FFXI is actually a great example of a game in which the economy was essentially destroyed by gil sellers. It was well nigh impossible to buy anything at an affordable price because of the rampant inflation caused by them. Blizzard wants to get rid of gold farmers to prevent that sort of inflation spiral that ruins the experience for gamers who actually play by the rules.

As for power leveling, it also causes massive gameplay issues since you can have players at cap who have absolutely no idea of what they're doing or of the social rules in use. One of the important parts of WoW is learning how to play the game (or class, if you're already experienced) as you level. I've definitely been in parties where one of the people has absolutely no clue how to play. It was pretty obvious he had been power leveled to cap since he didn't know how to speak only in the party channel, control his pet, or have any basic sense of the aggro system. He managed to wipe us 4 times (at significant expense of time and gold to everyone else) before we kicked his dumb hunter ass out of the party.

Oddly enough, the article didn't address any of this. Rather, they mentioned "mugging," which you can't even do in WoW or EQII as far as I know. I don't think you can do it in Guild Wars either. So I have no clue where that crap came from.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the article didn't address any of this. Rather, they mentioned "mugging," which you can't even do in WoW or EQII as far as I know. I don't think you can do it in Guild Wars either. So I have no clue where that crap came from.

Ultima Online my good sir.

Shogun on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2007
    That article fails in every way that an article can fail.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

They didn't mention that game. And does anyone play UO anymore?

sanstodo on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

They didn't mention that game. And does anyone play UO anymore?

It still has a small following yes, but I believe the majority plays on privately-held shards. As everyone has pointed out the article is garbage to begin with so I think the author may have fudged some small details to give it some more meat.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The worst part is that while we know what is going on and can point out flaws and counterarguments to what the journalist was saying, the majority of the people who read this who aren't gamers. That little factor could cause public perception to view us as even worse than they believe we are. I hope it doesn't turn out like that though.

First it was video games make people violent. Hopefully we won't be thrown under the bus with this sweat labor thing.

Alhmador on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    The people in the sweatshop are going to be exploited one way or another; if they weren't farming WOW they would be doing some other menial job. When it mentions the mugging I would assume it's referring to account theft; possibly resulting from power leveling services which the farmers also typically provide. As for curbing this; the only ones who can do anything to stop it would be the legislative authority in their region, in other words no one on this side of the pond can do much to help the situation.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alright there are no chinese WoW sweat shops. You think they can farm gold with a computer thats overheating?

They have AC christ

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alhmador wrote: »
    The worst part is that while we know what is going on and can point out flaws and counterarguments to what the journalist was saying, the majority of the people who read this who aren't gamers. That little factor could cause public perception to view us as even worse than they believe we are. I hope it doesn't turn out like that though.

The people who are going to be inclined to both believe this and care are the people who are so blinkered and anti-gaming anyway that they were probably already thinking this was the case before they read the article. Some guy who hates gaming wrote an article so a bunch of other people who hate gaming can nod their heads and go, "Ayup, ayup."

This is roughly the equivalent of some guy posting on Free Republic about how Democrats drink the blood of aborted fetuses to maintain their youth. It just adds to the noise.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alright there are no chinese WoW sweat shops. You think they can farm gold with a computer thats overheating?

They have AC christ

They put tiny little AC units on each computer that pump heat directly into the faces of the gamers. It costs a little more, sure, but it's just not a real sweatshop if the workers aren't falling over from heat exhaustion.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That article fails in every way that an article can fail.
    No way man, it's pretty funny.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well at the very least the article mentions that most gamers are against the buying and selling of gold.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007

They have AC christ

Yeah but when you say air conditioned shop no one will know what you're referring to.

Novus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Novus wrote: »

They have AC christ

Yeah but when you say air conditioned shop no one will know what you're referring to.

No they'll just think its in America instead.

Shogun on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

They have AC christ

Americans work insanely long hours with relatively low pay? You just proved that they won't know what you're referring to. If I say "apple" and you think "banana", you don't know what I am referring to.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

The people who are going to be inclined to both believe this and care are the people who are so blinkered and anti-gaming anyway that they were probably already thinking this was the case before they read the article. Some guy who hates gaming wrote an article so a bunch of other people who hate gaming can nod their heads and go, "Ayup, ayup."

This is roughly the equivalent of some guy posting on Free Republic about how Democrats drink the blood of aborted fetuses to maintain their youth. It just adds to the noise.

You're absolutely right; non-gamers who talk about gaming are like illiterate people who talk about books. For me this article drives home the fact that gold farming has gone from a few guys to several large scale operations; it also illustrating the futility of trying to prevent it. I suppose to the average reader the article simply translates as "games are evil".

*Edited for clarity.

Novus on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Unfortunately, the desire to pay for virtual goods makes the game a real-world supply/demand economic instead of just fun. People are using real-life earned money to improve their character, and people are working real-life jobs to give them the opportunity to do it. All of this makes the game not a game anymore.

EDIT: If you add up the cost of the box and all my monthly fees, I still sold my UO account at a profit. And I was never a power-gamer, I just played recreationally. The market for this stuff is ridiculous.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I disagree that it's futile. Blizzard, in its most recent patch, managed to cut down on the constant gold spam and are bringing a lawsuit against one website that sells gold. In the end, you just make it hard enough to find and do so it's more convenient for people to just farm the gold themselves.

It's about finding that tipping point without harming the in-game experience. Cracking down on gold farmers actually improves the vast majority of users' experiences so I'm all for stricter enforcement.

And anyway, you can't find the best items on the AH anyway; you need to run instances or PvP like a madman :D Blizzard did well in that sense, since the best items can't be sold to other players anyhow. It mostly causes inflation in secondary markets for lower level items but there is inflation there anyway thanks to twinking. The soulbound system managed to keep it from being too much of an issue but the harassing PMs were really annoying. Blizzard acted quickly and effectively.

Power to them and I hope anyone who buys gold/uses powerleveling services gets hepatitis.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

They have AC christ

Americans work insanely long hours with relatively low pay? You just proved that they won't know what you're referring to. If I say "apple" and you think "banana", you don't know what I am referring to.

I was under the impression that at least compared to most other 1st world countries, we do work far more hours with far less awesome benefits.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Our wages are pretty low especially given the fact that we have really bad benefits packages. And that's only if you get a benefits package with your job. I don't know if anything is happening with that immigration bill that is floating around in the govt, but that will probably drive wages down a bit too.

Alhmador on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Our wages are pretty low especially given the fact that we have really bad benefits packages. And that's only if you get a benefits package with your job. I don't know if anything is happening with that immigration bill that is floating around in the govt, but that will probably drive wages down a bit too.

Do you have any concept of what a sweatshop is? Here's a hint: your average American in those low-paying jobs probably makes as much as every employee in a sweatshop COMBINED.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    I see what you're saying Sanstodo and you're right; Blizzard has done an excellent job in cutting down on gold farming. I could have phrased my point better; I meant to say it is impossible to eliminate it entirely.

If you're able to support yourself with 40hrs of work a week you're doing a lot better than most of the world.

Novus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I see what you're saying Sanstodo and you're right; Blizzard has done an excellent job in cutting down on gold farming. I could have phrased my point better; I meant to say it is impossible to eliminate it entirely.

If you're able to support yourself with 40hrs of work a week you're doing a lot better than most of the world.

I was responding to Vincent Grayson's post regarding other first world countries. It's true that compared to the rest of the world we are extremely well paid. Our idea of long hours is completely different based on our own society, but don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be here in the States. We have it better than a lot of people and I don't mean to put anyone else's predicament down, wherever they may live.

Alhmador on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007

I was responding to Vincent Grayson's post regarding other first world countries. It's true that compared to the rest of the world we are extremely well paid. Our idea of long hours is completely different based on our own society, but don't get me wrong, I'm glad to be here in the States. We have it better than a lot of people and I don't mean to put anyone else's predicament down, wherever they may live.

I missed that, NM.

Novus on