As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    In a different vein

Ellie had a WhatsApp call with her best friend today. They haven't seen each other since we started Lockdown.

The usual giggling and screaming and chatting occured.

But then in a lull in the convo, Ellie went, "Thomas. Thomas. I really really miss you, Thomas. I can't wait for lockdown to be over so I can see you and hug you."

And yeah. I'm just gonna cry. Because she also said the other night that she really wishes that she had a sibling so that she wasn't so lonely during lockdowns, and so she could have a friend to play with.

And no, sibling is not possible.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I have no idea how long it has been since a night where Nending didn't wake up screaming and need several hours of dealing with, including sometimes an extra meal.

I am so tired.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    In a different vein

Ellie had a WhatsApp call with her best friend today. They haven't seen each other since we started Lockdown.

The usual giggling and screaming and chatting occured.

But then in a lull in the convo, Ellie went, "Thomas. Thomas. I really really miss you, Thomas. I can't wait for lockdown to be over so I can see you and hug you."

And yeah. I'm just gonna cry. Because she also said the other night that she really wishes that she had a sibling so that she wasn't so lonely during lockdowns, and so she could have a friend to play with.

And no, sibling is not possible.

Jaina has been saying the same thing. We haven't been locked down here for a while, but she really wants a sibling and it's just not in the cards.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Athena has been camping with grandparents since Friday night and we've been talking about how much we miss her.

Me, randomly: I kinda feel like Chili's.

Wife: Huh? Like you want to go there to eat?

Me: No.... I want my baby back baby back baby back

Wife: *sighs*

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Now and then me and my wife put our son in nursery and take some annual leave so we have a day on our own.

We spend all day talking about him.

I genuinely cannot remember what we talked about before we had him.

I also have no idea what I used to do when my wife was at work and I was on my days off during the week.

SharpyVII on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I can't wait until my kids are old enough so they can go with my wife and visit her sister in Hong Kong for like 2 weeks while I sit and home playing videogames all day like a huge piece of shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I have no idea how long it has been since a night where Nending didn't wake up screaming and need several hours of dealing with, including sometimes an extra meal.

I am so tired.

Is this a baby that’s teething? Our about to be 1 year old has so many teeth coming in and it’s shit show for sleep right now. Baby drugs are our only salvation.

On the plus side he learned to walk this week.

:so_raven:
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I can't wait until my kids are old enough so they can go with my wife and visit her sister in Hong Kong for like 2 weeks while I sit and home playing videogames all day like a huge piece of shit.

My wife took the kids to her parents and I couldn't go because of work, but there was one day I was off during the trip and I ordered a pizza, drank beer, played like ten hours of God of War and just reverted to my hedonist bachelor lifestyle and it was fucking amazing.

Of course the next day I felt like complete shit.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

My wife took the kids to her parents and I couldn't go because of work, but there was one day I was off during the trip and I ordered a pizza, drank beer, played like ten hours of God of War and just reverted to my hedonist bachelor lifestyle and it was fucking amazing.

One of the things my dad friends and I talk about is how you don't realize how much free time you have before kids. It's a lot.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Oh I'll be taking vacation time. I just need to remember to check into the ER a few days before they come back so I can do a proper alcohol detox.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    schuss wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

One of the things my dad friends and I talk about is how you don't realize how much free time you have before kids. It's a lot.

Just so much time for hobbies. I weep when I look at all the stuff I don't do anymore.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Our boy is, as I may have mentioned, teething, and up to his eyeballs in Tylenol as a result. It has been a nightmare of a weekend.

But now, on Sunday evening, he has a cough, and productive sneezing.

I suspect he is not going to daycare tomorrow.

We may actually cry.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Your can get through this.

Ellie loved gnawing on Fresh cold out of the fridge pickles when she was teething.

Didn't want none of those frozen things. Nope.

She spent most of the time from 6 months to a year with a pickle in her hand.

Even our formal family photos that we had done when we went to the States, stress clutching a pickle.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I am so tired.

Is this a baby that’s teething? Our about to be 1 year old has so many teeth coming in and it’s shit show for sleep right now. Baby drugs are our only salvation.

On the plus side he learned to walk this week.

This is a nearly two year old who is just now a monster at night. I'm aware it'll be some developmental thing that will pass but it is rough

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    From memory, that's the time that imagination starts to kick in and become a thing, so it might be night terrors/nightmares.

Yes.

It's hell.

Child is deploying the national strategic snot reserve. Sneezing and coughing too. He’s not off to daycare today.

COVID test this evening, and probably another day or two out. Poor little man.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Son has impetigo.

The antibiotics taste like absolute garbage and he spat the first dose out. It leaves at really strong after taste.

Any suggestions on how to disguise the medicine?

SharpyVII on
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Try going back to the pharmacist to see if there's an alternative.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    When my baby needed a antibiotics cure he wouldn't swallow properly. That's how I learned you have a swallow-reflex when you're stroked under your chin (close to your where your neck starts). I'm trying to find sources, but perhaps I don't know what it's called exactly in English. Regardless: have them swallow what needs swallowing and have plenty of water and/or lemonade to follow it up with.

Disguising doesn't work nearly as well with children as with dogs. Our taste buds are finetuned to recognize rotten or dangerous foods. I don't think I could ever fool a kid with hiding a pill in a sausage.

Omigosh yes, I tried one time with some medicine that my kid hated. One suggestion they had was to hide it in Yogurt or Apple Sauce. The kid KNEW. Totally suspicious of me. (And yet the kid has no problem eating that piece of spiked barely-subcritical uranium when I have my back turned, what's up with THAT??)

Ultimately we switched to a different antibiotic with help from the doc.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    When my baby needed a antibiotics cure he wouldn't swallow properly. That's how I learned you have a swallow-reflex when you're stroked under your chin (close to your where your neck starts). I'm trying to find sources, but perhaps I don't know what it's called exactly in English. Regardless: have them swallow what needs swallowing and have plenty of water and/or lemonade to follow it up with.

Disguising doesn't work nearly as well with children as with dogs. Our taste buds are finetuned to recognize rotten or dangerous foods. I don't think I could ever fool a kid with hiding a pill in a sausage.

You fool a kid by hiding a pill in chocolate. It worked amazingly well when we had to get our son to take meds for a week when he was a bit less than 2.

Pharmacies will also often have the ability to add a flavor to liquid medications for kids. It doesn't always work, but it can help.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Last time I needed to disguise medicine, I used chocolate pudding. But it really depends on the flavor of the medicine.. Ours had a banana flavor added, which wasn't that bad, but also needed a little help.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Chocolate you say? Well damn, good to know

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Sapling just got some Pokemon cards out of a cereal box, and combined with her cousin having some Pokemon plushies, she's very interested. Unf the tv show is rated TY7, and when I tried She-Ra with her (granted it was a year plus ago) she couldn't quite grasp the nuance of Adora being raised by the Horde etc. But I feel like Pokemon was always pretty straightforward.

Additionally, fuck mystery boxes. They bought a couple for her cousins, and now she wants one of the specific toys they had gotten and so we're stuck trying to explain why mystery boxes are bad to a 4 year old.
    Little King got bitten by the Pokemon bug around the same age. The tv series are pretty straightforward and have enough cute animals and EPIC BATTLES to hold a 4 year old their attention. Some episodes can be spooky or end on cliff hangers that make it seem like a character is going to die. There's also a few episodes in the more recent series that deal with alternative dimensions and time travel that are too complex for little kids.

If you're looking for other Pokemon stuff:
    Pokemon Playhouse as an app works great and had no IAPs or ads.
    Pokemon Cafe Mix looks cute, but does have IAPs

The CCG is exactly that, but to play the game your sprout needs to be able to read and do basic calculations. I would never buy cards until they're old enough for this.

Update. We decided to give it a try, and it seems to have gone over mostly well. She definitely struggles with focus towards the end of an episode, but she still gets excited if I offer it as something to watch.

The only issue is that I forgot all of the pokemon are only capable of saying their name, and Sapling has decided she is a pikachu. It was kind of cute for a while, she will run around the house saying "Pika-pi? Pikachu! Thunderbolt!" and then throw her hands wide like Pikachu does in the show. However, when she decides she wants to be pikachu, she will only answer questions with "Pikachu" (or some shortened variation). Its like her "I am [insert disney princess here]" thing, but with a worse vocabulary.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    From my FB feed from 3 years ago:

Abigail: Pancakes!
    Me: You want pancakes?
    Her: Yea!
    *I make pancakes*
    Her: (see pic below)
    Me: Might be time to add afternoon naps back in.

hjdc6zly7f89.jpg

And then, 10 minutes later:
    ndytm53mar19.jpg

Looks like I was right.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

*I make pancakes*

hjdc6zly7f89.jpg

ndytm53mar19.jpg

Looks like I was right.

Wait did you share that here? I remember that! Was that really 3 years ago already!?

Yeah, its the top of the throat/base of the chin area. Basically if you rub from their chin down about halfway down the neck, it should induce them to swallow. The only issue with that is keeping it in their mouth long enough to swallow. Then follow with something very strong tasting that maybe isn't so awful, like a really sugary popsicle or something?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

MNC Dover wrote: »

*I make pancakes*

hjdc6zly7f89.jpg

ndytm53mar19.jpg

Looks like I was right.

Wait did you share that here? I remember that! Was that really 3 years ago already!?

Yup, she's gonna be 6 in November (she's already planning her birthday party) and is growing like a weed:

6azdu8a88bdi.jpg

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    She's an adorable kid. I keep staring at my daughter's face wondering what she's going to look like when she gets older.

Kiddo is COVID free (again). Which is nice. Still very on the fence about sending him to daycare today, he is still quite grotty. But at least we now know he’s just regularly grotty!

My daughter is very kind hearted. Like, very.
    There was a mosquito flying around our apartment, and I told her to squish it, since she gets very bad reactions from the bites. But she only took a half-hearted slow swing. I said that if she wanted to actually get it, she'd have to be faster. But then she asked how long they live, and if she really needed to swat it. I mentioned she'd get bit if she didn't get it, and she looked at me with sad eyes and said she didn't want to kill it.

She's 7,8 next month. She wouldn't get sad if I squished it, necessarily, but really does not want to hurt anything herself. We then made a plan to keep away all stagnant water, so no mosquito babies grow up. Apparently she's going to splash about a lot in her next bath.

She has low iron due to Celiac's, so I don't want to go full vegetarian, but that may be next. Currently no red meat, just chicken and fish. But I know that's off the menu soon.

There was a mosquito flying around our apartment, and I told her to squish it, since she gets very bad reactions from the bites. But she only took a half-hearted slow swing. I said that if she wanted to actually get it, she'd have to be faster. But then she asked how long they live, and if she really needed to swat it. I mentioned she'd get bit if she didn't get it, and she looked at me with sad eyes and said she didn't want to kill it.

She's 7,8 next month. She wouldn't get sad if I squished it, necessarily, but really does not want to hurt anything herself. We then made a plan to keep away all stagnant water, so no mosquito babies grow up. Apparently she's going to splash about a lot in her next bath.

She has low iron due to Celiac's, so I don't want to go full vegetarian, but that may be next. Currently no red meat, just chicken and fish. But I know that's off the menu soon.

They make some flavorful iron supplement chews now that might help?

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    She's an adorable kid. I keep staring at my daughter's face wondering what she's going to look like when she gets older.

Athena looks so much like me I put a couple of my high school pictures in one of those picture filters that gender-swaps just to get an idea

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Boy is seemingly now grot free, which is great. I am now the holder of the nation’s strategic snot supply, so thanks for passing that along, son, I guess.

Hopefully this does at least mean he’ll sleep tonight. We are all very tired.

How come no meat? Does she just not like the idea of something having died to make food? Either way, spinach has a shitload of iron, and the baby spinach is usually not quite as weird looking to kids as canned.

• schussschuss Registered User regular

How come no meat? Does she just not like the idea of something having died to make food? Either way, spinach has a shitload of iron, and the baby spinach is usually not quite as weird looking to kids as canned.

Could just be random kid preference. My daughter is almost entirely veggie now just because she doesn't like meat except a few exceptions.

Pretty much. She's pretty good at eating a lot of different foods, but gets sad thinking about animals dying. At the museum, we started a little white lie that the animal models all died of old age. Not sure how we're going to walk that back, but I'm hoping she's OK when she learns otherwise.

Pretty much. She's pretty good at eating a lot of different foods, but gets sad thinking about animals dying. At the museum, we started a little white lie that the animal models all died of old age. Not sure how we're going to walk that back, but I'm hoping she's OK when she learns otherwise.

My niece is the same way. Luckily so far, Sapling hasn't come to any similar conclusions, since my wife is Celiac, and as you pointed out, food is already restricted enough thanks to that.

And today my son got sent home from school after another bad day of misbehaving. He's opening the door to the classroom and trying to run down the hallway. Everything is a joke to him apparently.

The teacher's tried their best, but he's just being too disruptive. They want to focus on him "making good choices" and not him being bad. Like, he gets it. He's smart enough to understand he's doing wrong, says he'll do the right thing, and then...doesn't.

I'm getting super frustrated with him and my work is getting greatly affected, causing my current large audiobook to get delayed again.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Geez that sucks! Would it help if he'd stay with a trusted family member for a few days to kinda reset the social rules he has to abide by? It seems like you have to escalate something to try and get through to him, but what could work?