As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free PC Games! Tropico 5, Brigador

2»

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hey FYI: Nicalis, the publisher of the versions of cave story other than the freeware original, is predatory and basically tricked the creator out of ownership of the IP and any payment for it. IIRC publishers still get payment from Epic for free downloads on their store so instead of redeeming that, I'd recommend getting the freeware original game from https://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    hey FYI: Nicalis, the publisher of the versions of cave story other than the freeware original, is predatory and basically tricked the creator out of ownership of the IP and any payment for it. IIRC publishers still get payment from Epic for free downloads on their store so instead of redeeming that, I'd recommend getting the freeware original game from https://www.cavestory.org/download/cave-story.php
    Came in here to say this.

Not going to play this version even if its free.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Does Epic pay per download? IIRC they negotiate a flat free for these giveaways. Maybe I'm misremembering.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The Witcher 1 is free on GoG if you download their launcher and sign away your email.

https://www.gog.com/news/the_witcher_enhanced_edition_now_free_for_all_gog_galaxy_users

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Witcher 1 is free on GoG if you download their launcher and sign away your email.

https://www.gog.com/news/the_witcher_enhanced_edition_now_free_for_all_gog_galaxy_users

I just have a trash email address for things like this. I can access it if I need to verify something but I never check it otherwise.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular

That sounds pretty terrible. I adored Cave Story back in the day and was excited for the updated version when it came out. But I couldn't find anything concrete about this. Only "do you believe this?" discussions on fan forums. Do you have a credible source, or possibly a sourced writeup that sums up what went down?

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    AkimboEG wrote: »

That sounds pretty terrible. I adored Cave Story back in the day and was excited for the updated version when it came out. But I couldn't find anything concrete about this. Only "do you believe this?" discussions on fan forums. Do you have a credible source, or possibly a sourced writeup that sums up what went down?

Here is a credible source for allegations about Nicalis being a scummy company in general, though allegations about Cave Story specifically are all rumor. https://kotaku.com/inside-the-ghosting-racism-and-exploitation-at-game-p-1838068522

I would assume Pixel cannot speak on the matter directly, as he probably signed an NDA when he worked with Nicalis, but the themes of his next game after Cave Story, Kero Blaster, which he notably did not publish with Nicalis, make me think themes like toxic bosses who speak a language the protagonist doesn't understand weighed heavily on his mind back around 2010-2013.

Ah, here's an interesting and fairly thorough video that attempts to confirm or debunk the cave story rumors specifically in light of the revelations from that kotaku expose:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccwVdj8dYQQ
    TLDR there's no non-circumstantial evidence other than people circulating rumors that it's true that Nicalis did anything bad with Cave Story specifically, and it's unconfirmable that Rodriguez didn't screw Pixel either unless Pixel speaks on it in the future, but he found some evidence that Pixel once said on twitter that he gets some kind of royalties on at least the 3DS version of Cave Story.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    The big RPGs are now out on Epic:

9ga9bdktmf3s.png

And apparently they're doing daily give-aways next week. Hope I manage to keep up with them. Even with me making the post I never got around to claiming The Witcher and the offer seems to be gone.

Edit: No wait, just needed to update the client. Witcher giveaway still ongoing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    They've opened their Christmas daily freebies strong with Cities Skylines.

6v6ve29fy6yc.png

If you're having trouble loading it in the client, claiming via the webpage seems more stable.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    And Prison Architect on GoG.

dv4ds5f92lwr.png

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    And Ubisoft doing some oddly hidden giveaways, currently Trials Rising:

q9pcm6bm5d6v.png

https://ubi.li/happyholidays

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Epic:

nd5s6owmjoq8.png

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    The Long Dark today, which gives credence to the following leak list for the remaining Epic freebies:

Cities: Skylines
    Oddworld: New n Tasty
    The Long Dark
    Defense Grid 1
    Alien: Isolation
    Metro 2033
    Tropico 5
    Inside
    Darkest Dungeon
    My time in Portia
    Night in the Woods
    Stranded Deep
    Solitairica
    Torchlight II
    Jurassic World Evolution

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Those are all good game, but unfortunately all games I have or am not interested in.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The Long Dark today, which gives credence to the following leak list for the remaining Epic freebies:

Cities: Skylines
    Oddworld: New n Tasty
    The Long Dark
    Defense Grid 1
    Alien: Isolation
    Metro 2033
    Tropico 5
    Inside
    Darkest Dungeon
    My time in Portia
    Night in the Woods
    Stranded Deep
    Solitairica
    Torchlight II
    Jurassic World Evolution

Considerably less impressive than the first leaked list, but still some good stuff in there. Looks like I'll finally try out darkest dungeon. A couple I've never even heard of, like Solitairica, but look interesting.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but if you missed any previous Ubisoft freebies, they're all available today. I was able to get starlink after initially missing it, so I was pretty happy about that.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    Ubisoft have a last chance up to grab the free games from the last couple of days. All bundled into a single link now:

https://register.ubisoft.com/happyholidays2020-lastchance/en-US

404 not found
  • Options
    Yup, Defence Grid today.

Glad I never got around to picking up Darkest Dungeon then!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Defense Grid brings back some memories. I remember a Christmas achievement back during the winter sale on steam in 2010? 2011? Back when steam sales were awesome.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Metro 2033 today.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    For some reason, plain old Brigador does not show up in GOG for me

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    For some reason, plain old Brigador does not show up in GOG for me

Came up for me on a Google and claimed. Cheers.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Like, I go to the store or the desktop app, and click on the Brigador thing, and I honestly do not see it. Just a list of all their other deals.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Like, I go to the store or the desktop app, and click on the Brigador thing, and I honestly do not see it. Just a list of all their other deals.

Ignore that banner thing. I don't know why they always put the announcement there and then link to the deals instead. I forget every time and wonder where I'm supposed to go.

Instead, scroll down past the banner announcement, the highlights and the first set of games. On mine it shows up below the "We are GOG.COM..." message and above the "Last call" set of games.

EDIT: On my computer, the button or whatever you click on to get the game always takes a few seconds to load, too.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Tropico 5 go time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

Ignore that banner thing. I don't know why they always put the announcement there and then link to the deals instead. I forget every time and wonder where I'm supposed to go.

Instead, scroll down past the banner announcement, the highlights and the first set of games. On mine it shows up below the "We are GOG.COM..." message and above the "Last call" set of games.

EDIT: On my computer, the button or whatever you click on to get the game always takes a few seconds to load, too.

My GOG app had to update

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    EGS Has the new(er) Star Wars Battlefront 2 free this week.

Humble Store has Bomber Crew free for a limited time.

nusu on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    If you were interested in Battlefront 2, but skipped out on it because of all the early bad word of mouth, you should absolutely pick it up and give it a try now. It still suffers from some classically EA stuff, but it manages to be a great Star Wars game anyway. I've had loads of fun with it.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you were interested in Battlefront 2, but skipped out on it because of all the early bad word of mouth, you should absolutely pick it up and give it a try now. It still suffers from some classically EA stuff, but it manages to be a great Star Wars game anyway. I've had loads of fun with it.

I'll second the motion to give Battlefront 2 a whirl. They've stripped out the whole lootbox element (they kinda had to) and now you just unlock the class buffs the starcards used to using credits you earn by playing the game. All heroes are unlocked from the get-go.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is there much in the way of single player?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I got it for like 5 bucks just to play the campaign. It's...fine? I like Janina Gavankar and there's some appearances from movie people you might know, but it's nothing to write home about.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Tube wrote: »

There is a decent single-player campaign that will last a few hours. I enjoyed it.

You can also just do bot matches and such - though most of my time spent with the game was in the Space Battles.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I will try out the single-player campaign for free, sure.

Just a heads-up it's like an 80 GB install.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I will try out the single-player campaign for free, sure.

Just a heads-up it's like an 80 GB install.

over 90GB :( My sons comp had to delete TF2 to get enough room. i should probably upgrade his hard drive at some point.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

There is a decent single-player campaign that will last a few hours. I enjoyed it.

You can also just do bot matches and such - though most of my time spent with the game was in the Space Battles.

There's also a 4-person co-op mode. Some of the maps are weighted heavily against the players.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    EA really needs to work on their error messages; i load up BF2 and it tells me my origin accounts been banned?! I almost have a heart attack after looking and trying other games that worked i guess their servers are just crumbling
    under the influx of all the free players and that's the default error message. Dammit EA

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Played some yesterday and yeah it is fun.

Definitely the battlefield thing where you can just not even care about winning or losing, cause your contributions are minuscule.

Are you God's gift to gaming? Too fucking bad, you still dont get to make enough of a difference to swing a W.

Depending on your mood, this is good or bad.