As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Low Bar: Cleared!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    We're playing soft to prevent big plays down field!

Ok cool. So we'll just give up 90 yards in 4 yard chunks over a longer period of time.

Which perfectly acceptable when you are up 17 in the fourth...

Pettine likes to start at 13 minutes left in the 3rd.

What is his connection with Dan Quinn?

Hmm. I've never seen them in the same room together...

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Sounds like he’s just bad at halftime adjustments

• Options
    Wait let me correct

Sounds like he’s just bad

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Are there any legitimate teams in the NFL this year? KC and maybe Pittsburgh, but Pitt has feasted on a weak schedule and sick opponents. Arguably the Saints if they stay healthy. The Packers are as up there as anyone this year, and if they're missing a key part of the game, well so is everyone else right now.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Titans seem like a team that could go on a solid run and beat anyone. Buffalo too.

Miami is in solid spoiler shape, though I wouldn't place money on them going deep into the playoffs.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Tennessee and Cleveland (!) are frisky teams in crappy weather due to their run games and run defense (I’m led to believe Cleveland’s is good)

That being said, Pittsburgh is going to be better than everybody by a lot in this case

And it all might not be enough to stop Mahomes anyway

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Pittsburgh is who they've always been: they will play up, and down, to anyone. They can (and frequently will) beat anyone, but anyone can beat them, and almost every game will be close.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pittsburgh gets the most notice for being undefeated against a bad SoS, but KC also had a bad SoS -- #31 for Pitt vs. #27 for KC by DVOA. Both teams have shown themselves to be beatable, despite their records. Saints are the best all-around team, but they have to get and stay healthy. TB has had one of the hardest SoS so I think they're better then they look, and some of their problems (misusing Tom Brady) seem super obvious. But they're almost certainly going to have to play a wildcard game so unless they get a lot better I don't see them making that gauntlet.

• Options
    How are they misusing Brady? Like trying to make him 2007 Brady vs a more balanced/horizontal attack?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Raiders provided the blueprint to beat the Chiefs (lots of double moves and go routes outside the numbers and a QB that can unleash the dragon, because our corners suck one on one and allow lots of seperation after 5 yards) problem is few teams have the amount of and depth of speed at WR to keep it up for 60 minutes.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Raiders provided the blueprint to beat the Chiefs (lots of double moves and go routes outside the numbers and a QB that can unleash the dragon, because our corners suck one on one and allow lots of seperation after 5 yards) problem is few teams have the amount of and depth of speed at WR to keep it up for 60 minutes.

Hmmmmm it feels like of all the AFC playoff hopefuls, only Indy and Cleveland seem deficient here, probably Baltimore too although they were great at this last year with all the same guys....

• Options
    How are they misusing Brady? Like trying to make him 2007 Brady vs a more balanced/horizontal attack?

He went 3-28 on deep balls between week 6 and week 9. That's abysmal, and when you watch him it looks even worse -- he's not just over or underthrowing, he's throwing flyballs for defending center fielders.

but also that's seven deep passes per game -- that's a lot for a QB who is good at it, and it's because the deep pass is a core part of Bruce Arians offense. But if they keep trying to play him like that because Arians is a stubborn jackass, they have no chance.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Romo gave some great critique of Arians not playing to Brady's strengths during the TB-KC game. With so little motion and pre-snap movement, even as good as he is at it Brady can't diagnose coverage at the line like he used to and he has developed seemingly zero chemistry for anyone outside of Gronk to trust them enough to trigger hot routes even if he does guess right on blitzes.

So you wind up with a not very mobile 43 year old thats gotta hope and pray his protection holds up long enough for these multi-deep route monstrosities to develop to the point he can deliver it to a small window without getting lifted outta his kleats.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    It's funny because if you had asked me whether Bruce Arians was a good choice of coach for Tom Brady I would've said absolutely, because he was a coach who wouldn't be wowed by Brady and would treat him as -- at best -- a peer.

I did not account for the fact that Arians is a fucking dumbass.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    IF Head Coach

THEN 99% Dumbass SUPERGENIUS

• Options
    admanb wrote: »
    It's funny because if you had asked me whether Bruce Arians was a good choice of coach for Tom Brady I would've said absolutely, because he was a coach who wouldn't be wowed by Brady and would treat him as -- at best -- a peer.

I did not account for the fact that Arians is a fucking dumbass.

Well, I might have said he’s a dumbass but he’s also self aware and knows he a dumbass and adjusts accordingly and WHELP

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    could be worse, could have anthony lynn
    poor justin herbert

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2020

He went 3-28 on deep balls between week 6 and week 9. That's abysmal, and when you watch him it looks even worse -- he's not just over or underthrowing, he's throwing flyballs for defending center fielders.

but also that's seven deep passes per game -- that's a lot for a QB who is good at it, and it's because the deep pass is a core part of Bruce Arians offense. But if they keep trying to play him like that because Arians is a stubborn jackass, they have no chance.

This reminds me of a discussion of the broncos when they were QB’less.

Apparently they didn’t put the new QB in for runs, only for throws. Then instead of giving out routes and other easier passes they called all downfield pass plays that required precision. For a guy that hadnt thrown a ball in three years.

On 3 and 19 they stacked the box and called a pass play for two receivers. The defense, seeing the QB in, and having seen no runs or hand offs from that set all day, and it being 3rd and 19, did not bite. Each receiver had 3 defenders on them. What were they expecting to happen?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

This reminds me of a discussion of the broncos when they were QB’less.

Apparently they didn’t put the new QB in for runs, only for throws. Then instead of giving out routes and other easier passes they called all downfield pass plays that required precision. For a guy that hadnt thrown a ball in three years.

On 3 and 19 they stacked the box and called a pass play for two receivers. The defense, seeing the QB in, and having seen no runs or hand offs from that set all day, and it being 3rd and 19, did not bite. Each receiver had 3 defenders on them. What were they expecting to happen?

2. ???

3. Profit

• Options
    Vic Fangio is really stupid

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Week 13 maps

The most notable things are the Buffalo/San Francisco game being played in Arizona since Santa Clara County had banned sports related activities for three weeks. And, of course, the Thursday game between Dallas and Baltimore being moved to Tuesday because Baltimore/Pittsburgh was played last Wednesday because Baltimore hasn't figured out a way to avoid contact with others during a highly infectious pandemic.

Frankly, all games involving Baltimore at this point should be resolved by playing them on Electric Football.

EDIT:
    I didn't even notice the map on the bottom showing the Washington/Pittsburgh game moved to Monday. Where, apparently, a chunk of the country gets to watch the game on FOX and all the other peons must have Sunday Ticket.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    With 38 points Cleveland has set a franchise record for most points in a half.

Tennessee should never wear these powder blue uniforms again.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    With 38 points Cleveland has set a franchise record for most points in a half.

Tennessee should never wear these powder blue uniforms again.

What the fuck is going on?

I get home, see this, then see that the Jets just took the lead against the Raiders, with less than 6m to go?

I want to see the Jets win, only so by transitive math, it's proof the Jets can beat the Chiefs.

Then the world can end. A fitting end to 2020.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Mike thomas needs to be thrown out. I'm not surprised there's a fight. That was a bullshit hit and the 2nd time in a row he did it.

• Options
    This is so much bullshit. It was an illegal hit that started it, parker took a forearm to the face then reacted.

Fuck the bengals.

• Options
    Jets can't seem to help themselves.

Up by 4, Raiders on 4th and 8, essentially for the game.

Pass Interference, Automatic 1st down.

*shaking my head*

• Options
    We lose two players on miami ejected and one bengals player ejected, and not the guy who started the bullshit with his personal foul.

Oh, and they're going to re punt. Fucking awesome.

• Options
    Wtf cincinnati pull the fucker from the game have some decency. He's back out there on the fucking punt team again after two horrible hits.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Bears out Lions the Lions.

• Options
    Lololol just went to espn to see an update on the jets game. Jets up, time almost out, let's click on game cast..... 50 yard td pass raiders.

Are we sure they're not losing on purpose now?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Lololol just went to espn to see an update on the jets game. Jets up, time almost out, let's click on game cast..... 50 yard td pass raiders.

No idea. Whoever set the Jets D was either throwing the game, or incompetent as fuck. Poe's Law. Because how do you not have two deep?

Watching the Vikings kicking woes always amuses me though. I mean, other teams have been worse (hey Chicago), but I can't think of another BETTER team that's had them.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    You all are missing some incredible Brownsing

Edit: it’s a 1-score game again

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Tennessee scored 2 TDs in about 80 seconds AFTER the 2-minute warning and had they recovered the onside kick I believe they would have scored a third and won 42-41

The Browns are 9-3 with a -18 (or whatever) point differential for the season

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    I have zero respect for the bengals as an organization after this game. Miami won, water under the bridge, whatever.

But c'mon man! You have a player, who got two consecutive fouls for unnecessary roughness on punts. Dude is out there trying to hurt people. Then there's a fight, players tossed, and a re punt.

And you put the fucker back out there. Have some respect for the game and pull thomas from the game. He had two bullshit hits, which lead to all this, have some respect and just sit the fucker for a down at least.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

No idea. Whoever set the Jets D was either throwing the game, or incompetent as fuck. Poe's Law. Because how do you not have two deep?

Watching the Vikings kicking woes always amuses me though. I mean, other teams have been worse (hey Chicago), but I can't think of another BETTER team that's had them.

The Jets still retain the services of Gase and his staff which is about as close as you can get to telling people you're tanking on purpose

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

The Jets still retain the services of Gase and his staff which is about as close as you can get to telling people you're tanking on purpose

From ownership? Cause I can't see what Gase gets out of tanking. No way he keeps his job, unless he won out, and even then, coinflip. And GM who even considers him for head coach, needs to be fired.

Side note, Chargers Special Teams remain the single worst crew in the NFL. It's just fucking ridiculous how consistently horrible they are.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Every NFL fan: Man, why do teams run a prevent defense late in games? All it does is prevent victories.

Jets: Actually, that's not true. In fact, let me show you why.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I like how even without a crowd in the stadium, the TV producers will pipe in a crowd reaction to a call that’s against their team.

See: a call going against the Seahawks followed by a recording of the crowd booing

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Under most circumstances I'd say that the Giants would have gone into half-time with a lead if Jones was playing but that would be underestimating the abilities of Evan Engram.

I can't wait till we overpay him in free agency or he puts it all together and becomes a pro bowler when someone else signs him

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man I did not have the seahawks losing to the giants, that's a yikes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net