Options

Instant Pot vs Crock-Pot [chat]

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    i kinda want to become an archeologist/anthropologist sometimes.
    Sadly post apocalyptic scavenger isn't a thing yet.

That's my dream job.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The Secret Fire of Prometheus
    hrmm the windows key on my KB doesnt work.

Lame

that's why you have two.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hey, I have a question for the gourmets among us.

I typically season or spice my cuts of meat immediately before cooking. I've noticed that since getting an enameled cast iron skillet, it's the spices/seasoning (Or marinade, if I use that) that makes it hard to clean. If I cook unseasoned/unspiced meat, the pan is incredibly easy to clean.

Have I been doing this wrong? Should I be spicing after cooking? Or is that dumb?

@Nova_C

My first thought is you’re not using enough shortening in the pan with the spiced meat

Cast iron is great for even heat dispersal, but doesn’t have innate nonstick properties, even when seasoned well. Use plenty of oil or butter when using it.

Even with a decent amount of cooking medium (fat of some kind) you'll still end up with some of the seasoning sticking to the pan. Oft times when searing say a steak this is what leads to the bits of fond one might deglaze to make a pan sauce.

Making sure to use enough fat to coat the bottom of your pan and getting it to a decent temperature before adding the item you intend to cook will help with sticking. Also in the case of at least whole cuts of meat, season them about 10-15 minutes before cooking, press the seasoning in with your hand and blot at the surface with a paper/kitchen towel. This will give the seasoning time to adhere to your meat, and will draw out some of the moisture near the surface which tends to help with developing color during a sear.

As far as what I usually consider enough fat would be enough to completely coat the bottom of the pan and if you were to tilt it slightly you'll see a small pool form in the corner of the pan. Heating, depending on your intent you want to at least see "shimmering" out of oil (small kind of waves) or bubbling if you're using butter, but if you want a decent sear you want to get your pan hot enough that you you're just beginning to see a small amount of smoke coming off the oil. At that temperature searing will begin immediately once you add your meat.

Even with all that said, you'll still find some will perhaps have stuck/fallen off during the cooking process. Typically I try to wash a pan while it's still hot with hot water, even if it needs a more thorough cleaning later. Just pour any waste oil/fat into a separate container and make sure your water is really hot before doing so, and you shouldn't have explosions on your hands. If you're not comfortable with it, wait for a few minutes with the pan off any heat sources, but you'll still want to do it before it cools down completely. Most of the time this will lead to minimal scrubbing, sometimes (like in the case of frying eggs) I find I really only have to dry it off afterwards.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you got any other questions or maybe would like pictures to demonstrate.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

That's my dream job.

i mean, with the state of the world right now.... wouldn't be a bad thing to have a headstart.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Good evening, fellow time travelers.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Finally, someone reinvented radio

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tomorrow is the first day of the work on the condo. And tomorrow night first night of the dog and I staying at the GF's for the next few weeks while the work is done. Mostly it is the cat and dog interaction I worry about. They have met but the cat freaks out which gets the dog excited. But we will see. So much stress between that and the work on the house and so on.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Delivery
    Omg my anus is dying on the toilet.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Instant Pot
    hrmm the windows key on my KB doesnt work.

Lame

Are you using it on a Mac?

• Options
    Instant Pot
    VishNub wrote: »
    Good evening, fellow time travelers.

I’m currently traveling at 1 second per second

• Options
    Delivery
    (´༎ຶོρ༎ຶོ`)

• Options
    Instant Pot
    Mim wrote: »

Title of a lost Sex Pistols album?

• Options
    Delivery
    Mim wrote: »

Title of a lost Sex Pistols album?

I need to make an alt punk band

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Delivery
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

That's my dream job.

scavvers have a poor reputation; dung farmers for jet preparation, however,

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Alazull wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hey, I have a question for the gourmets among us.

I typically season or spice my cuts of meat immediately before cooking. I've noticed that since getting an enameled cast iron skillet, it's the spices/seasoning (Or marinade, if I use that) that makes it hard to clean. If I cook unseasoned/unspiced meat, the pan is incredibly easy to clean.

Have I been doing this wrong? Should I be spicing after cooking? Or is that dumb?

@Nova_C

My first thought is you’re not using enough shortening in the pan with the spiced meat

Cast iron is great for even heat dispersal, but doesn’t have innate nonstick properties, even when seasoned well. Use plenty of oil or butter when using it.

Even with a decent amount of cooking medium (fat of some kind) you'll still end up with some of the seasoning sticking to the pan. Oft times when searing say a steak this is what leads to the bits of fond one might deglaze to make a pan sauce.

Making sure to use enough fat to coat the bottom of your pan and getting it to a decent temperature before adding the item you intend to cook will help with sticking. Also in the case of at least whole cuts of meat, season them about 10-15 minutes before cooking, press the seasoning in with your hand and blot at the surface with a paper/kitchen towel. This will give the seasoning time to adhere to your meat, and will draw out some of the moisture near the surface which tends to help with developing color during a sear.

As far as what I usually consider enough fat would be enough to completely coat the bottom of the pan and if you were to tilt it slightly you'll see a small pool form in the corner of the pan. Heating, depending on your intent you want to at least see "shimmering" out of oil (small kind of waves) or bubbling if you're using butter, but if you want a decent sear you want to get your pan hot enough that you you're just beginning to see a small amount of smoke coming off the oil. At that temperature searing will begin immediately once you add your meat.

Even with all that said, you'll still find some will perhaps have stuck/fallen off during the cooking process. Typically I try to wash a pan while it's still hot with hot water, even if it needs a more thorough cleaning later. Just pour any waste oil/fat into a separate container and make sure your water is really hot before doing so, and you shouldn't have explosions on your hands. If you're not comfortable with it, wait for a few minutes with the pan off any heat sources, but you'll still want to do it before it cools down completely. Most of the time this will lead to minimal scrubbing, sometimes (like in the case of frying eggs) I find I really only have to dry it off afterwards.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you got any other questions or maybe would like pictures to demonstrate.

I've been cooking with sunflower oil since it has a higher smoke point than my usual extra virgin olive oil, and yeah, I make sure the whole pan is coated, but my stovetop is not level, a little pool always forms in the corner. I heat until I see the oil do that wavy thing. The booklet that came with my skillet says to let it cool completely before washing because putting water in it while it's still hot can damage the enameling (It's a Le Creuset enameled cast iron skillet). I'll try seasoning longer before cooking, like you said. Probably will help with my overall technique anyway.

For steak, I've found it's not a big deal to skip seasoning - a good cut has great flavour naturally and I'll use a steak sauce with it.

For chicken or pork, though, I really like to use a super basic seasoning blend:
    club_house_lemon_and_herbs_800x800.png?vd=20200706T192411Z&hash=20DF57FBF3C3E2A3BA973C88F849B475

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the first day of the work on the condo. And tomorrow night first night of the dog and I staying at the GF's for the next few weeks while the work is done. Mostly it is the cat and dog interaction I worry about. They have met but the cat freaks out which gets the dog excited. But we will see. So much stress between that and the work on the house and so on.

what're you getting done on the condo?

Kitchen is getting a big redo. Wall coming down, new backsplash, new lights, new counter. Bathroom is being fully redone. New everything.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Delivery

Sex dungeon(s)

• Options

Kitchen is getting a big redo. Wall coming down, new backsplash, new lights, new counter. Bathroom is being fully redone. New everything.

before and after pictures, pls

Will do! Also a bunch of small things new light fixtures and stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Camping this weekend

v6swfvv7hl25.jpeg
    hdqm31wydv9l.jpeg

VishNub on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Trying a recipe that wouldn't pressurize before (tried it like 4 weeks ago) - so I added some more liquid to ensure there'd be enough to engage the steam valve in spite of the rice.

Still won't pressurize >=|

This recipe is turrible.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    not pictured include the a cappella group that stayed up until 1 am on the other side of the campground or the next door neighbors tent about six feet behind me or the fact that I had to spend most of the night trying not to roll or slide into the lake. Or the utter lack of masks fucking anywhere.

I have a love/hate thing with camping. I think its main purpose may be to make it so I don't have to drive as far to the fishing spot.

VishNub on
  • Options
    People are terrible, though.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    3882d8ca2a9c02494fb5132921903349.jpg

• Options
    Also seeing that second picture mirrored is very disorienting.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    51Jz%2BsaN0vL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I made chashu pork belly but it took too long to add to the ramen

Just tried it now

Holy FUCK that's good. Jesus christ. Mirin is magic.

• Options
    5u947Fbl.jpg
    Zavian wrote: »
    51Jz%2BsaN0vL._AC_SX466_.jpg

i cant tell which poster is which

• Options
    edited October 2020
    VishNub wrote: »

i cant tell which poster is which

we're all cat bots now

meow

m104mjk1src11.jpg

Zavian on
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    which novel am i thinking of where a woman is learning how to be a trader and her mentor is an older trader

and at one point she's negotiating at the top of an island that is actually part of an enormous creature, and she jumps from the top to prove her daring and impress her prospective trade partners

This is one of the early interludes in Words of Radiance. I know this because I just read that part tonight (been rereading in prep for Rhythm of War)

It didn't go super great for her.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Instant Pot
    I could drink tonkatsu broth in the place of a beverage

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Crock-Pot
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    which novel am i thinking of where a woman is learning how to be a trader and her mentor is an older trader

and at one point she's negotiating at the top of an island that is actually part of an enormous creature, and she jumps from the top to prove her daring and impress her prospective trade partners

This is one of the early interludes in Words of Radiance. I know this because I just read that part tonight (been rereading in prep for Rhythm of War)

It didn't go super great for her.

I'm way behind on my reading but it's nice to know that stormlight 4 will be there when I'm ready for it

sig.gif
  • Options
    Delivery
    It is bonkers level of injustice that pigs (and by extension humans) taste fucking incredible but are also near-sapient

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    It is bonkers level of injustice that pigs (and by extension humans) taste fucking incredible but are also near-sapient

Enjoying a nice Chianti tonight, Eddy?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

The humans are only near-sapience and thus deserve none of your compassion

• Options
    Instant Pot

Same with cephalopods

I won’t eat them

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Delivery
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror." -- etched into the shit-covered floor of a slaughterhouse

Eddy on
  • Options
    we should be more like pigs and less like cats

i dont know if i can do this, people

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I am eating cheese.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Delivery

Same with cephalopods

I won’t eat them

Grilled octopus is so tasty though

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Going back to DC!

Wish it wasn't pandemic DC during the election but whatever.

Glad to be working.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
This discussion has been closed.