As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2020 Election] Math is Dead

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited November 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
OP copied from the last one, including this sentence.

This here is your official thread for discussing the great basket of wonder and joy that is the upcoming 2020 election.

What You Can Talk About:

- Any national or local 2020 US election.
- The impact of the conventions that just happened.
- The policy platforms of candidates AS THEY PERTAIN TO THE ELECTIONS. "Biden plans to roll out a public option" is okay. "A public option is awesome because of X,Y, and Z" is not.
- Polls related to the election.
- Voting outreach efforts
- Other things that directly pertain to the 2020 election and have not been explicitly banned.

What You Can't Talk About:

- The 2020 primaries that have already occurred. Upcoming 2020 primaries, if there are any left, are okay.
- Bernie Sanders
- 20-motherfucking-16
- Hillary Fucking Clinton
- Policy in general. This is not the place to discuss health care or taxes or policing in general. We have threads for all those things! If not, feel free to make one!
- Who you plan to personally vote for. Nothing good has ever come from a conversation in these threads about why you're definitely voting for Biden / voting third party / not voting. Just rest assured that your personal reasons for voting are the best in the whole world and everyone agrees with you and thinks you're smart and good looking. Masterfully done, you.

If you have previously been banned from this thread, you are still banned from this thread, sorry. Rest assured you can participate in discussions when 2024 rolls around, assuming elections are still a thing that exists in that far away time.

HEY! LISTEN! Some bright spark had the excellent notion to link the resources thread from SE++ for people who are having a hard time, so:

If you're having a tough time of it in these testing times, here are some resources that can help.

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on
«134567125

Posts

  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    And separately, for the sake of our collectively sanity, we're just gonna keep the post-mortem for when the election gets called by the AP or somebody who's not Fox. We'll have it then, just leave the topic alone for a few hours or days until there's a definite winner/loser.

    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Deep breath, folks.

    Currently, our job is to just keep counting. That is what we focus on right now.

    htmMan in the MistsFencingsaxStabbity Stylevalhalla130ToxboogedyboozepherinNitsuaKristmas KthulhuKoopahTroopah
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    To be fair, the only reason I got any sleep after 5 am this morning (I'm watching from Belgium and biting my nails) was the Fox News call of AZ. So thanks, Fox News, I guess? So pigs really are flying.

    I'm cllinging to the fact that we don't need PA at this point, and GA is still in play.

    But without the senate it's just a setup for 2010 all over again: "he did nothing, and whatever he did I don't like, and after two years of Trump the stock market was up whereas now the covid recession STILL isn't fixed. Disappointed in Ds, let's vote in an R house and senate, that'll fix things...". So please, please, please get to 50 and get Joe f Manchin to remember what color he really bleeds.

    valhalla130MorganVOrcaSmrtnik
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    What’s the latest counts looking like? We need to forget NV? How’s Wisconsin?

    steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    As an Australian watching this...I got barely any sleep last night, spent the whole day stressed the fuck out about it, and am only now feeling slightly okay but finally I can start drinking!

    I have no idea what this must be like for all of you who have to live in the US.

    JaysonFourHarbingerJB
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I locked in four hours of sleep but it looks like I don't have anymore left.

    htmOrcaSmrtnikIncenjucar
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    Deep breath, folks.

    Currently, our job is to just keep counting. That is what we focus on right now.

    This. The die has been tossed. It sucks to feel and be helpless, and it's hard to trust the system but it's all we can do right now.

    Take breaks. Get some sleep. Eat. The next few days are going to be long.

    Fencingsaxhtmvalhalla130zagdrobmonikerNitsuaRingoPhoenix-DKristmas KthulhuMan in the Mists
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    It's been fun if a bit nerve-wracking, but the CBD oil has taken effect and it's time to wander off to bed. You all be well and take care of yourselves, and Needle willing, there will be good news in the morning.
    Ia! Ia! Needle fhtagn

    Kristmas Kthulhu
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Pennsylvania isn't going to report until tomorrow morning. Philly is still counting, Allegheny will reconvene at 10 est.

  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    I locked in four hours of sleep but it looks like I don't have anymore left.

    Lucky! I only managed two hours. Being a mixture of both calm and a ball of anxiety isn't conducive to sleep.

    Einzel
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I passed out for a few hours earlier after he AZ call. Gunna try to get some more here. Good luck everyone.

    616610-1.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    JaysonFourArbitraryDescriptorUndead ScottsmanThisMorganVCaedwyrDoodmannRaijuGiantGeek2020Rhesus PositiveGnome-InterruptusOrcanever diezepherinKristmas KthulhuLucedes
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Already flapping his lips about the Supreme Court coming in to settle his victory.

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    valhalla130RaijumarajiNitsua
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    What’s the latest counts looking like? We need to forget NV? How’s Wisconsin?

    CBS estimates 4.2 million outstanding mail-in ballots still to be counted between PA/WI/MI

    Which is to say, enough to keep us in suspense.



    CBS is news network.

  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Tav wrote: »

    Almost like he’s a deeply irresponsible person! And so are his supporters and enablers in the party!

    Prohass on
    ArbitraryDescriptorFiendishrabbitelectricitylikesmeRaijuH3KnucklesA Kobold's Kobolddispatch.oshrykeGreenmarajiOrcazepherinElvenshaeRingoKristmas Kthulhu
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Like I said in the last thread, if trump wants to move ahead with only the settled states and leave the ones that haven't been called on the floor then by all means do so.

    Biden's 238 beats his 213

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular


    Nate Cohn writes for the Upshot with the NY Times about politics.

    Biden is still the favorite in all of these states. It's just a matter of getting the votes counted.

    zepherinKristmas Kthulhu
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    That’s actually a really shitty take that reframes the narrative away from the fact that he is directly telling the world that he is going to try to steal this election. It was not “irresponsible” of Trump. It is however at best “irresponsible” to frame it as such.

    nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    JaysonFourProhassLord_AsmodeusCommander Zoomvalhalla130H3KnucklesBigJoeMmonikerGreenOrcaBlackDragon480thatassemblyguyOneAngryPossumElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuLabelMan in the Mists
  • HarbingerJBHarbingerJB Registered User new member
    As an Australian watching this...I got barely any sleep last night, spent the whole day stressed the fuck out about it, and am only now feeling slightly okay but finally I can start drinking!

    I have no idea what this must be like for all of you who have to live in the US.

    I second this emotion, but with more swearing

    JaysonFourProhassvalhalla130Forar
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    there is no alternative other than setting them aside

    for 2016, people could be somewhat forgiven for voting for Trump out of ignorance, out of bullishness, out of differing priorities. out of not knowing what a Trump presidency would really like

    They've had four years of it. They know what it looks like. At this point anyone who says "four more years of this please" is unreachable and at this point you just hope not wearing a mask thins them out for the next Senate elections.

    Dhalphir on
    Stabbity StyleMorganVMatevRanlinShadowhopevalhalla130RaijuMoridin889EinzelH3KnucklesElldrenA Kobold's KoboldRhesus PositiveboogedybooSyphonBlueDoctor DetroitXaquinMild ConfusionmonikerOrcaBlackDragon480SmrtnikElvenshaesilence1186RingoKristmas KthulhuNobeardMagellHappy Little MachinetynicKlytus
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    I mean, they ARE evil racists. I don't get your point. We weren't appealing enough to fascists?

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    JaysonFourDhalphirMatevCommander ZoomShadowhopevalhalla130electricitylikesmeMoridin889Kayne Red RobeFiendishrabbitA Kobold's KoboldBigJoeMRhesus PositiveMaijinamuroMild ConfusionTicaldfjamDavid WalgasKristmas KthulhuMan in the MistsNobeardMagellHappy Little MachinetynicKlytus
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Decision Desk HQ, which gets their results a tiny bit before the rest of them, just put Biden ahead in Wisconsin:

    https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/2020/general/wisconsin

    Stabbity StyleGaddezJaysonFourAbsalonLord_AsmodeusDhalphiremp123StarZapperShadowhopeRaijuH3KnucklesFiendishrabbitA Kobold's KoboldRozmonikerAbsoluteZeroBlackDragon480ElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuMan in the MistsKlytus
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    It's weird to me that anybody would draw this conclusion when Biden was almost exclusively campaigning towards the center and soft right. I don't want to be in a tent with Nazis and Nazi sympathizers. That tent's too big!

    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudStabbity StyleMatevRanlinemp123electricitylikesmemRahmaniMaijinamuroshrykeGnome-InterruptusTicaldfjamOrcaGnizmoBlackDragon480BullheadElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuLabelMan in the MistsNobeardHappy Little MachinetynicKlytus
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Kenosha is generally Trump country, but their absentees were still a net 10k for Biden. The remaining vote in Wisconsin is really, really blue.

    TomantaKayne Red RobeA Kobold's KoboldAbsoluteZeroBlackDragon480
  • painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Some states won't be done until 2+ weeks have passed. It is entirely up to when they stop counting.

    painfulPleasance on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    As an Australian watching this...I got barely any sleep last night, spent the whole day stressed the fuck out about it, and am only now feeling slightly okay but finally I can start drinking!

    I have no idea what this must be like for all of you who have to live in the US.

    I second this emotion, but with more swearing

    It hurts if you have empathy for your fellow humans, because you know what will happen under four more years and no limiter on these guys- more pain, more hate, more fear, and I’ve had my fill thankssomuch. It’s just... I don’t know. They literally just don’t give a fuck about other people,and it’s a foreign concept to people like us.

    And the SC thing... I think it’s more that we’ve seen norms get pitched into the trash like dirty cat litter all over, and well... you have to ask if the SC would do the same.

    If we lose NV, do we still have a path, or is it a gotta-win?

    steam_sig.png
    valhalla130HarbingerJB
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud friend pelican soft and relaxing mouthRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    It's weird to me that anybody would draw this conclusion when Biden was almost exclusively campaigning towards the center and soft right. I don't want to be in a tent with Nazis and Nazi sympathizers. That tent's too big!
    I was about to type the same thing. What world are you living in where gamifying the safest candidate wasn't exactly what we did to appeal to Trump-esque voters?

    pelcan Mouth perfect size for put poster in to n\ap! inside poster sleep soundly put poster in Pelicn Mouth no problems because good Support for poster neck weak of big poster head
    DhalphirJaysonFourGiggles_FunsworthMatevvalhalla130shrykemarajiKristmas KthulhuMan in the MistsNobeard
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Biden now up a half point in Wisconsin as more Milwaukee votes get added.

    It'll end up being outside the recount margin once all the counting is done.

    Mr FuzzbuttsanstodoFencingsaxShadowhopeRaijumonikershrykenever dieAbsoluteZeroElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuMan in the Mists
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    this election result just further drives home the fact that the mythical Democrat Trump voter who went for Trump in 2016 because Hilary was a corrupted candidate doesn't exist, because the election doesn't look significantly different with Biden.

    JaysonFourMorganVMatevelectricitylikesmevalhalla130H3KnucklesBrainleechmcdermottOrcaAbsoluteZeroDoctorArchBlackDragon480SmrtnikElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuMan in the MistsRingoMagelltynic
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2020
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    As an Australian watching this...I got barely any sleep last night, spent the whole day stressed the fuck out about it, and am only now feeling slightly okay but finally I can start drinking!

    I have no idea what this must be like for all of you who have to live in the US.

    I second this emotion, but with more swearing

    It hurts if you have empathy for your fellow humans, because you know what will happen under four more years and no limiter on these guys- more pain, more hate, more fear, and I’ve had my fill thankssomuch. It’s just... I don’t know. They literally just don’t give a fuck about other people,and it’s a foreign concept to people like us.

    And the SC thing... I think it’s more that we’ve seen norms get pitched into the trash like dirty cat litter all over, and well... you have to ask if the SC would do the same.

    If we lose NV, do we still have a path, or is it a gotta-win?

    I don't know about the practical on-the-ground-implications but it's 6 votes. So like, Wisconsin & Michigan with either of PA, NC, GA would make up for it.

    Probably any two three remaining of those five would make up for it. Math-wise.

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Biden just took the lead in WI.

    1yipso5csc16.png

    AridholInkstain82JaysonFoursanstodoCommander ZoomFencingsaxemp123ShadowhopeRaijuH3KnucklesFiendishrabbitA Kobold's KoboldRhesus PositiveboogedybooCantidoMild ConfusionFoolOnTheHillnever dieAbsoluteZerorhylithIncenjucarzepherinHahnsoo1ElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuLabelHavelock2.0KoopahTroopah
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Decision Desk HQ, which gets their results a tiny bit before the rest of them, just put Biden ahead in Wisconsin:

    https://results.decisiondeskhq.com/2020/general/wisconsin

    That’s good news, as apparently that doesn’t include the Kenosha absentee ballots, which should give Biden another 10,000 votes or so to add to his 20,000 lead.


    FencingsaxH3KnucklesElvenshae
  • Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    this election result just further drives home the fact that the mythical Democrat Trump voter who went for Trump in 2016 because Hilary was a corrupted candidate doesn't exist, because the election doesn't look significantly different with Biden.

    I mean, we're about to sweep the rust belt and pick off Arizona and Georgia. That's a little different.

    FencingsaxCroakerBCmonikershrykeElvenshaeRingo
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    And what is PA, NC and GA looking like?

    steam_sig.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    I mean, they ARE evil racists. I don't get your point. We weren't appealing enough to fascists?

    I would contend that a different approach would be more effective in actually gaining power and winning elections.

    This is not the same as me agreeing with idiot racists.

    We sure feel good calling ignorant racists, ignorant racists but it sure feels bad to lose the country to them twice in a row.

    So yeah, we didn't do enough to bring people into the big tent and here we are.

    The damming evidence is Trump increasing his pop vote. You think that is because he's so appealing in message and personality?

    People get shouted down here for saying we need to actively try to move the idiot "all lives matter" racists or that you could have any dialog with family members in this category (I personally was told to cut ties with my dad) but all that does is LITERALLY solidify those people in opposition.

    I want to stress that I think this SUCKS and that I am on the side of virtually everyone here. All I am saying as an outsider is that the clear "good vs bad" lines that are drawn today are counterproductive.

    HappylilElfThisstopgapJean
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    I mean, they ARE evil racists. I don't get your point. We weren't appealing enough to fascists?

    I would contend that a different approach would be more effective in actually gaining power and winning elections.

    This is not the same as me agreeing with idiot racists.

    We sure feel good calling ignorant racists, ignorant racists but it sure feels bad to lose the country to them twice in a row.

    So yeah, we didn't do enough to bring people into the big tent and here we are.

    The damming evidence is Trump increasing his pop vote. You think that is because he's so appealing in message and personality?

    People get shouted down here for saying we need to actively try to move the idiot "all lives matter" racists or that you could have any dialog with family members in this category (I personally was told to cut ties with my dad) but all that does is LITERALLY solidify those people in opposition.

    I want to stress that I think this SUCKS and that I am on the side of virtually everyone here. All I am saying as an outsider is that the clear "good vs bad" lines that are drawn today are counterproductive.

    Have you managed to convince your dad?

    SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
    JaysonFourMatevOrcaElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuMan in the MistsRingoMagell
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Registered User regular
    Biden finally ahead in Wisconsin


    Don't stop believing.

    Georgia could also break blue.

    MrMisterEtheaCantidomonikershrykenever diejoshofalltradesIncenjucarzepherinHahnsoo1ElvenshaeKristmas KthulhuLabel
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I think Biden still has a good chance but this is hardly a rebuke of trumpism.

    Deliberately shrinking that big tent and setting aside 35%+ of the country as evil racists is not the winning strategy we imagined.

    It's weird to me that anybody would draw this conclusion when Biden was almost exclusively campaigning towards the center and soft right. I don't want to be in a tent with Nazis and Nazi sympathizers. That tent's too big!

    You're calling them Nazi's in this very post!
    They gonna vote for the public option on healthcare after that? Tough call.

    Aridhol on
    HappylilElfThisstopgapzepherin
This discussion has been closed.