As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump's Lame Duck Extravaganza

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I guess this might explain Trump’s purge and toady-installation in the Pentagon.

WSJ reports that a sudden rule change has been proposed that would allow Presidents to be buried in Arlington regardless of lack of military service.

My God, it’s even pettier and more self-aggrandizing than I imagined.

Speaking as as a vet, one that was on my base honor guard performed more funeral services across west Texas than I could count, who received training from the Air Force Honor Guard that serves as White House detail and Arlington guard, and in turn was a trainer for my base honor guard; let me say this:

If they allow Trump to be buried at Arlington, they will have to build a literal wall around his grave, to stop the never ending stream of veterans going there on a pilgrimage to honor our fellow vets by pissing every ounce of piss that our bodies can produce on his remains. And then spitting whatever is left of our bodies moisture on the ground above his rancid corpse.

And thus Trump would finally get his stupid wall :razz:

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I guess this might explain Trump’s purge and toady-installation in the Pentagon.

WSJ reports that a sudden rule change has been proposed that would allow Presidents to be buried in Arlington regardless of lack of military service.

Speaking as as a vet, one that was on my base honor guard performed more funeral services across west Texas than I could count, who received training from the Air Force Honor Guard that serves as White House detail and Arlington guard, and in turn was a trainer for my base honor guard; let me say this:

If they allow Trump to be buried at Arlington, they will have to build a literal wall around his grave, to stop the never ending stream of veterans going there on a pilgrimage to honor our fellow vets by pissing every ounce of piss that our bodies can produce on his remains. And then spitting whatever is left of our bodies moisture on the ground above his rancid corpse.

hehehe

never ending stream

It'll be like how there's always troops guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Just

you know

different

but realtalk I actually didn't know that they didn't bury all Presidents at Arlington. I assumed there was, like, a section of Arlington just for former PotUS/FLotUS (because they should definitely be buried together either way).

Only 2 are buried there. Most are buried in their home state.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

hehehe

never ending stream

It'll be like how there's always troops guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Just

you know

different

but realtalk I actually didn't know that they didn't bury all Presidents at Arlington. I assumed there was, like, a section of Arlington just for former PotUS/FLotUS (because they should definitely be buried together either way).

I don't think Taft served? Though he was Secretary of War for awhile which might be a sort of reasonable back door.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

hehehe

never ending stream

Just

you know

different

I don't think Taft served? Though he was Secretary of War for awhile which might be a sort of reasonable back door.

A bunch of SCOTUS are buried there, but I don't know if that's a service thing, either.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I'm not a historian by any stretch, but it doesn't feel right to place civilian politicians in a place reserved for those who served our country.

The presidency is a stewardship, the whole point is it's transient. Those who served, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice, deserve Arlington.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'm not a historian by any stretch, but it doesn't feel right to place civilian politicians in a place reserved for those who served our country.

The presidency is a stewardship, the whole point is it's transient. Those who served, especially those who made the ultimate sacrifice, deserve Arlington.

I mean, I think they are SCOTUS who served, I just can't remember.

Looking through, and Taft's case was specially granted by Hoover.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Also it was established very specifically as an FU to the Confederacy, burying Union war dead all over Robert E. Lee's (former, seized) estate. Sticking Trump's corpse there would be an insult to its purpose and would only serve as a final sign that the Confederacy won the peace.

Mayabird on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

hehehe

never ending stream

Just

you know

different

A bunch of SCOTUS are buried there, but I don't know if that's a service thing, either.
    Yeah, Taft was Secretary of War, but he also was the Chief of SCOTUS in addition to President, so I don't think anyone really objected to it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Arlington already makes a lot of exceptions on a case by case basis. If a civilian president lived such a life that the American people would want them buried in Arlington it would be done. A formalized rule means the military has much less say over the issue.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Trump needs to be buried in a site befitting his stature

Under a combination dance hall / communal latrine

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Under a combination dance hall / communal latrine

I'd say Great Kills landfill, but there's heroes buried there.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Can't go with a landfill, chances are they'll turn that into a park at some point. I'd recommend a site where we dumb hazardous waste that will be dangerous for centuries to come. Seems like the proper place for someone as toxic as Trump.

• Options
    The Trump Superfund

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Trump lured to catacombs beneath Trump Tower with promise of new extra strength Sudafed, entombed.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Under a Four Seasons Total Landscaping

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Trump lured to catacombs beneath Trump Tower with promise of new extra strength Sudafed, entombed.

The Cask of the Colonel's Secret Recipe

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    After they cremate him, they should powderize the remains and add it to the American Standard porcelain mix.

He can be memorialized in every urinal and commercial toilet in America. That way a hundred million Americans can piss on his grave every day.

• Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    After they cremate him, they should powderize the remains and add it to the American Standard porcelain mix.

He can be memorialized in every urinal and commercial toilet in America. That way a hundred million Americans can piss on his grave every day.

I already have enough issues peeing in public. I don't need to then worry about being watched by some asshole ghost.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Sidenote I got my shirt. I went with the white shirt with the red neck/sleeve line.

The dye on the neck/sleeve line bled a little bit despite being washed on cold which somehow just makes me love it even more.

• Options

Sidenote I got my shirt. I went with the white shirt with the red neck/sleeve line.

The dye on the neck/sleeve line bled a little bit despite being washed on cold which somehow just makes me love it even more.

When did you order?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

When did you order?

The day they got posted in the thread.

So somewhere between a few days and a few months ago because time has lost all meaning.

To be clear when I say it bled a little bit I'm being literal. It looks like the collar bled on the upper chest a tiny bit but it's really only noticeable up close.

But FYI if you ordered from that link it might be a good idea to wash it by itself a couple of times and I'd treat it as a dark and never wash it on anything but cold.

I lucked out because it was in with all of my darks (hence the cold wash) so while it probably bled on other things when all of the other cloth in the load is a black or very dark blue it's pretty meaningless.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The funny thing is, if Trump is purging the top of the military chain so that he can be a petty little shit and try to dictate that he gets buried in Arlington Cemetery. It's something that Biden could easily reverse once he enters and it would be a fucking PR nightmare for the GOP if they tried to stop the rule reversal. Would also likely be a PR boon for Biden. I mean, any piece of shit civilian Trumper or republican that goes "but Biden is being petty," would likely get told to fuck off by the nearest veteran or active duty servicemember because Trump has done nothing to deserve burial in Arlington. Dude is both a neo-Confederate piece of shit and a drafter dodger that used his wealthy to bullshit out of the draft. He has insulted those that have served are currently serving. The kicker is that this probably also pisses off a good share of veterans and active duty servicemembers that did vote for Trump because a majority of them probably would agree he doesn't deserve to be buried in Arlington because he didn't serve.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    While civilian/non-military persons are buried in the cemetery, I feel like the bar is pretty high to receive the honor.

In The Poison Squad an American Experience piece that aired on PBS, it's mentioned that Harvey Wiley was buried in Arlington. Harvey Wiley was the figure-head/lead scientist in the government chemistry division that effectively is responsible for food safety that lasts to today. Can you go to the store and get a gallon of milk that isn't laced with Formaldehyde? Harvey Wiley.

Seeing as how Donald has directly killed 250k and counting American lives, and put the future of millions at stake over his own ego, his merits do not pass muster.

I could, however, potentially give license to seeing Trump buried in Section 16 where the other Seditionists and Traitors of the USA are buried.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    While civilian/non-military persons are buried in the cemetery, I feel like the bar is pretty high to receive the honor.

In The Poison Squad an American Experience piece that aired on PBS, it's mentioned that Harvey Wiley was buried in Arlington. Harvey Wiley was the figure-head/lead scientist in the government chemistry division that effectively is responsible for food safety that lasts to today. Can you go to the store and get a gallon of milk that isn't laced with Formaldehyde? Harvey Wiley.

Seeing as how Donald has directly killed 250k and counting American lives, and put the future of millions at stake over his own ego, his merits do not pass muster.

I could, however, potentially give license to seeing Trump buried in Section 16 where the other Seditionists and Traitors of the USA are buried.

I think I'd be fine with Trump being buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

There's a little over two hours before it closes. He better hurry.

If it's not today, no deal.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Harvey Wiley was a civil war veteran.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Harvey Wiley was a civil war veteran.

Oops! My mistake. I must have tuned that part of the show out. I jumped to a bad conclusion.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It turns out there is nearly HALF A TRILLION in stimulus funding left.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-24/mnuchin-to-put-455-billion-in-funds-out-of-yellen-s-easy-reach?sref=KhY5gfAd

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is of course not prioritizing using it. Instead he's shuffling money around to make it harder for his replacement to do their job.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    It turns out there is nearly HALF A TRILLION in stimulus funding left.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-24/mnuchin-to-put-455-billion-in-funds-out-of-yellen-s-easy-reach?sref=KhY5gfAd

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin is of course not prioritizing using it. Instead he's shuffling money around to make it harder for his replacement to do their job.

It's really fucking obvious what Mnuchin is doing and practically criminal that he's going to suffer zero repercussions for doing it.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I love that Mnuchin isn’t even a republican he’s just an amoral aristocrat asshole who couldn’t pass up the chance to throw away the values he and his wife never possessed to enrich themselves further in the great con man’s administration

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Actually, trump got his wall years ago:
    08xp-TRUMPSTAR2-superJumbo.jpg

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Looks like the pardons are going to start pretty soon. First up is Michael Flynn, if I remember correctly he plead guilty to lying to the FBI about his plans to assist in the kidnapping, rendition, and murder of a Pastor that Turkey wants dead.

Oh, and he was instrumental in setting up all that Russia stuff.

https://www.axios.com/trump-pardon-michael-flynn-131c78e2-eb58-4294-9ca1-3c5fb00bf96e.html

Taramoor on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »

Actually, trump got his wall years ago:
    08xp-TRUMPSTAR2-superJumbo.jpg

Practical too, since it will help keep the urine contained to one location.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Looks like the pardons are going to start pretty soon. First up is Michael Flynn, if I remember correctly he plead guilty to lying to the FBI about his plans to assist in the kidnapping, rendition, and murder of a Pastor that Turkey wants dead.

https://www.axios.com/trump-pardon-michael-flynn-131c78e2-eb58-4294-9ca1-3c5fb00bf96e.html

Really hope the relevant states start lining up charges then.

It's one thing for Pennsylvania to let kidnapping charges and the like be handled by federal prosecutors. But if they're not willing (under Trump) or able (under Biden because of a Trump pardon), then absolutely the State should pick that up.

Same all the way up and down the line. While not every criminal act has a federal AND state crime associated with it, there's usually something that they did that qualifies.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Since there's nothing else going on at the moment in the United States the President is planning to join long time friend Rudolph Giuliani for a trip to the theater.

CNN White House Correspondent Jeremy Diamond: News: Trump is expected to join Giuliani in Gettysburg, PA tomorrow where GOP state lawmakers are holding a "hearing" on allegations of fraud in the 2020 election, two sources familiar with the plans tell me. Not on his schedule, but being planned as an unannounced movement

This was also confirmed by Maggie Haberman.
    Confirmed to me by two people briefed on the plans. Some aides had tried talking him out of this.

Viskod on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well, if Trump wants to get massacred and turned back, he's going to the right place.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LowHitPointsLowHitPoints Sword of the Afternoon MichiganRegistered User regular
    He is totally going to say no President has ever given a better speech in Gettysburg than his...

I will also call my shot and say this hearing will include stacks and stack of manila folders holding all the "evidence" because this administration gets ASMR-like pleasure from physical props from the 70's.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Please let him edit a whiteboard showing the election results with a sharpie.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2020

I think he pardons Flynn, and does a Trump family pardon, a bunch of other pardons of people we expect, a few people we don't (maybe Joe exotic). And a few people we haven't heard of until the pardons hit. And we'll never know if the pardons were to pay off a debt, if the pardons were to cover his tracts for after the transition, or some form of spite.

I think we should have a pool for how many pardons he issues between now and January 20th.

Obama did about 700 (in his lame duck period). Which is the most for any modern president. And Trump has pardoned the least amount of people of any president.

I think he pardons 180 people, all of them terrible.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    While the pardon parade hasn’t started yet, they have wasted no time ramping up federal executions during the lame duck

If you have been wondering what Barr has been up to, this is part of it

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Since there's nothing else going on at the moment in the United States the President is planning to join long time friend Rudolph Giuliani for a trip to the theater.

CNN White House Correspondent Jeremy Diamond: News: Trump is expected to join Giuliani in Gettysburg, PA tomorrow where GOP state lawmakers are holding a "hearing" on allegations of fraud in the 2020 election, two sources familiar with the plans tell me. Not on his schedule, but being planned as an unannounced movement

This was also confirmed by Maggie Haberman.
    Confirmed to me by two people briefed on the plans. Some aides had tried talking him out of this.

Someone appears to have come to their senses, or the president got bored and lost interest:

Washington Post reporter.

This discussion has been closed.