As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Request for tech help: no sound from youtube

chromdomchromdom Who?Where?Registered User regular
Hey all, first time poster (I think) to this particular subforum.
I ran into an odd issue, and I'm hoping people who are smarter/better with this stuff than me can help.

This is for a desktop pc; let me know if you need specifics regarding the machine.
To begin with, on Discord (and other things) I can't really get a mic to pick up my voice. I'm pretty ok with that, I mostly use it for text conversations, so it isn't really an issue.
Last night, there was a little voice conversation going on, and I tried to join in. Couldn't get the mic to work, but whatever, status quo.
Afterwards, however, I couldn't get youtube videos to play any sound. Gifv's are out too. Spotify works fine, and I can hear ads from minesweeper. When I right-click on the speaker icon and go to Sounds to try play a sound, it does work. I ran the Windows troubleshooter, and it was able produce a sound.

Any ideas on where I should look, what I need to check to get sound going?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Disregard, found it.
    Somehow (???) the App Volume And Device Preference for Chrome got turned down to zero. Sound be back, such as it was.

I wonder if turned my Master volume up and everything else way down (I normally let it sit at about 26) would give me mic action?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Hey all, first time poster (I think) to this particular subforum.
    I ran into an odd issue, and I'm hoping people who are smarter/better with this stuff than me can help.

This is for a desktop pc; let me know if you need specifics regarding the machine.
    To begin with, on Discord (and other things) I can't really get a mic to pick up my voice. I'm pretty ok with that, I mostly use it for text conversations, so it isn't really an issue.
    Last night, there was a little voice conversation going on, and I tried to join in. Couldn't get the mic to work, but whatever, status quo.
    Afterwards, however, I couldn't get youtube videos to play any sound. Gifv's are out too. Spotify works fine, and I can hear ads from minesweeper. When I right-click on the speaker icon and go to Sounds to try play a sound, it does work. I ran the Windows troubleshooter, and it was able produce a sound.

Any ideas on where I should look, what I need to check to get sound going?

Did you try the App Volume and Device Preferences?

q8oo9du8x7rn.png

Your browser has a hidden volume control