As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-heim. Valhalla has no backlogs.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    71wl9h1w1dfw.png

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Having just had the punching Nazis argument in the steam chat yesterday, I'm just gonna say I'm glad that they changed it and that the block was an automated system.

State of Decay 2 is a real good game and I'm glad that it was a legitimate mistake based on legacy game systems that weren't fully removed in development. And that Undead Labs aren't milkshake ducks.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'm not clear on the "everyone should be punching Nazis" ideology. Are you only supposed to punch Nazis when they're being interviewed, and run away before they can react, or is it that fistfights are safe and predictable things that anyone can engage in, like in Fight Club? In real life, attacking a bunch of guys bare-handed doesn't sound like normal-person behavior.

I'd hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of people who advocate assaulting strangers on the street have never been in an actual fistfight, and don't understand that real life is not a movie or a videogame.

You are correct, real life is not a movie or a video game. Which means that when you see a Nazi in real life, it's all the more important to make sure they feel unsafe and unwelcome.

And that's accomplished by punching them? What if the Nazi wins the fight? What if they're carrying a concealed weapon, because they feel unsafe? Usually it's conservatives who are aggrieved when some retail worker attacks a shoplifter and gets punished by their company, but the risks don't seem different here. Is the idea that people who get hurt or killed will be glorified as martyrs in the culture wars?

Do you like Nazis? Would you defend Nazis? You know this is a video game? Why are you taking the Nazi side? Seems to be the wrong side to take.
    He's not taking the Nazi side, he's taking the "don't get into fistfights" side.

Right. In a videogame.

*looks at all videogames ever made*

Nope, sorry, that sounds like a cheap cop-out and troll baiting.

Seriously though, is this a REAL argument? This has to be a joke, right? I mean... Fuck me, man. Nazis are bad. We decided this 60 or so years ago. What the fuck?

I quoted what I was responding to, which said "real life" twice. If it makes it easier to understand, here:

What if the bad guy wins the fight? What if the bad guy is carrying a concealed weapon, because they feel unsafe?

Just because you may be afraid to do your moral duty and stand up to Nazis does not make standing up to Nazis the "wrong" thing to do. Being afraid of a threat does not mean the threat should be ignored. And how do you think Nazis came to power in the first place?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is an on topic forum, and one in which we don’t carry water for nazis. Move on.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'm almost done with Immortals: Fenyx Rising and it's been a whole lot of fun. I'm also getting near the end of the main story of AC Origins (though I still have plenty of map and DLC to do). And Monster Hunter World I need to get back to.

It's been nice to have some time to play games.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Having just had the punching Nazis argument in the steam chat yesterday, I'm just gonna say I'm glad that they changed it and that the block was an automated system.

State of Decay 2 is a real good game and I'm glad that it was a legitimate mistake based on legacy game systems that weren't fully removed in development. And that Undead Labs aren't milkshake ducks.

I've never had to ask this question before, but what is a "milkshake duck"?

Also, I should have known better than to loot containers in a house I didn't own. I mean, I made it out alive and the other guys didn't and now I have extra beds, but... you know... murder happened.

And Flesh is hurt real bad and I don't have a medical station set up in my new fort yet.

So, you know, pros and cons.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

I've never had to ask this question before, but what is a "milkshake duck"?

Also, I should have known better than to loot containers in a house I didn't own. I mean, I made it out alive and the other guys didn't and now I have extra beds, but... you know... murder happened.

And Flesh is hurt real bad and I don't have a medical station set up in my new fort yet.

So, you know, pros and cons.

8ambsjt4ezis.png

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm almost done with Immortals: Fenyx Rising and it's been a whole lot of fun. I'm also getting near the end of the main story of AC Origins (though I still have plenty of map and DLC to do). And Monster Hunter World I need to get back to.

I suspect you're further than I am, but I'm digging AC: Origins quite a bit. I still wish it carried a little more classic AC DNA, but I like my auto-drive horse and clearing out question marks. The story (when I get around to it) is good, too!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

I suspect you're further than I am, but I'm digging AC: Origins quite a bit. I still wish it carried a little more classic AC DNA, but I like my auto-drive horse and clearing out question marks. The story (when I get around to it) is good, too!

I'm actually really happy that though it carries the spirit of the AC series, Origins feels like a fresh new take on the (as of Syndicate) somewhat stale formula of the AC games. I'm still checklisting off every quest and uncompleted location, but I'm not paying so much attention to the sync percentage if there even is one, and I'm very glad to not have to complete specific side objectives in quests to get "all the points" as it were. Just doing it my way is a nice change.

• Options

I'm actually really happy that though it carries the spirit of the AC series, Origins feels like a fresh new take on the (as of Syndicate) somewhat stale formula of the AC games. I'm still checklisting off every quest and uncompleted location, but I'm not paying so much attention to the sync percentage if there even is one, and I'm very glad to not have to complete specific side objectives in quests to get "all the points" as it were. Just doing it my way is a nice change.

That's a good point. I guess the big thing that I miss is having a mini-map that showed me the boundaries of hostility zones. I'd also take the auto-drive horse being smart enough to avoid those areas.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Though my TV this week has been dedicated to the Tournament of Hearts, which is the Canadian women's curling championship, I did flip it to the PC input where it normally resides. Imagine my surprise to see some very non-curling action.

AbRNWYL.png

Thanks @Heartfinder! Looking forward to seeing my action game abilities have kept up through playing mostly RPGs of late.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options

That's a good point. I guess the big thing that I miss is having a mini-map that showed me the boundaries of hostility zones. I'd also take the auto-drive horse being smart enough to avoid those areas.

Agreed, though even though my initial reaction to the new eagle vision was negative I've come to really appreciate it, as scanning an area first, and then acting on that information without the entire world just constantly being shades of black and white is a net positive. Because let's be honest, old eagle vision was always the superior way to play, so it's what most people did, walk around in greyscale historical worlds.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Steam Remote Play Together - Invite Anyone in now in beta.
    You will be able to Remote Play Together with anyone: no Steam account will be required to join your game!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    Though my TV this week has been dedicated to the Tournament of Hearts, which is the Canadian women's curling championship

So, wait, Canadians really are into curling? I thought that was just an olympic thing.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular

So, wait, Canadians really are into curling? I thought that was just an olympic thing.

You have to Git Gud somehow.
    Where am I. Ill show myself out.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Origins was by far my favorite NuAC game. It hit the setting perfectly, while still having a plotline that was recognizably AC and fit into the metaplot.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Okay what the fuck.

So I played Hiveswap 1 a while ago. It was pretty funny and I really enjoyed it. So I got the Humble Bundle now to get Act 2.

And apparently you can import Act 1 saves to continue in 2, but all my act 1 saves are gone. Steam ate them. All that's left to prove I played Act 1 is playtime and a ton of screenshots.

So now I just can't play Act 2. Because my mind goblins would devour me. Imagine going into Mass Effect 2 or 3 with just the "recap" standard new save instead of importing a previous save!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Though my TV this week has been dedicated to the Tournament of Hearts, which is the Canadian women's curling championship

I mean, it's not like hockey or football, but curling does have a pretty decent following in Canada. TSN, the Canadian version of ESPN, has three games a day during the big four tournaments (Canadian women, men, world women, men) on the primary channel. My SO and I even made bingo cards for things that often happen during games.

I think curling would make a great video game. There's a strategy phase of where do you want a rock to wind up and how to get it there. A softly thrown draw might move 5-6 feet horizontally (the curling in the name of the game) to land in the middle of the house. A takeout whipped down the sheet might move a few inches. Then the throw meter for both aiming at the broom and the speed of the rock. Once the rock is in play, sweeping a stone will both add to the distance and delay the horizontal movement. Even deciding which brusher is sweeping can steer a rock in either direction. It would pretty much be golf, but with a strategy layer before the shot and then being able to steer the ball while in flight. Then I suppose one would have to add loot boxes to pay $2.99 for a chance to unlock Jennifer Jones...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    OUTRIDER demo out on STEAM and after the servers caught on fire. . .I am liking the gunplay. Movement feels a little floaty but that's not a big deal. Everything else is a chaotic mess of gibbing and elemental destruction. Prologue goes on a bit too long - mostly because you honestly just want to select your class and start tossing out powers.

. . .also game and the combat "arenas" look freaking great. Character faces are a bit meh though.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Tropico 4 is cathartic. Although I had to up the difficulty to 190% to have something interesting. But deficite spending was a small sacrifice.

Although that last year was spent fast building because of lazy construction crews spread out all over the island.

Tropico has historically had a pretty relaxing gameplay loop. Outside of when you really need something built to stay afloat financially but your construction workers aren't cooperating. Which can be pretty often.

The key is to build a second construction and teamster office when your population gets near 80-100 if you aren't close to the scenario goals.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Got a few surprise gifts this last week!

First, @chuck steak hit me with Annalynn! Only had it wishlisted for like three days.

And just today I see @Heartfinder has provided me with Final Fantasy IX! My PS1 version is pretty close to me since my cousin pieced together a full copy after my father passed in 2014.

Thanks to you both!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Okay what the fuck.

So I played Hiveswap 1 a while ago. It was pretty funny and I really enjoyed it. So I got the Humble Bundle now to get Act 2.

And apparently you can import Act 1 saves to continue in 2, but all my act 1 saves are gone. Steam ate them. All that's left to prove I played Act 1 is playtime and a ton of screenshots.

So now I just can't play Act 2. Because my mind goblins would devour me. Imagine going into Mass Effect 2 or 3 with just the "recap" standard new save instead of importing a previous save!
    You could probably just blow through act 1 in an hour or two and then get on to act 2.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I reinstalled reccetear because I need the chill to balance out terrraria, I lost my magic mirror :sad:

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I reinstalled reccetear because I need the chill to balance out terrraria, I lost my magic mirror :sad:

Capitalism. Ho!

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I mean, it's not like hockey or football, but curling does have a pretty decent following in Canada. TSN, the Canadian version of ESPN, has three games a day during the big four tournaments (Canadian women, men, world women, men) on the primary channel. My SO and I even made bingo cards for things that often happen during games.

I think curling would make a great video game. There's a strategy phase of where do you want a rock to wind up and how to get it there. A softly thrown draw might move 5-6 feet horizontally (the curling in the name of the game) to land in the middle of the house. A takeout whipped down the sheet might move a few inches. Then the throw meter for both aiming at the broom and the speed of the rock. Once the rock is in play, sweeping a stone will both add to the distance and delay the horizontal movement. Even deciding which brusher is sweeping can steer a rock in either direction. It would pretty much be golf, but with a strategy layer before the shot and then being able to steer the ball while in flight. Then I suppose one would have to add loot boxes to pay $2.99 for a chance to unlock Jennifer Jones...

Nagano Winter Olympics for the N64 was literally the way I found out Curling was a thing. I think it still remains my biggest exposure to it because I don't think I've ever seen a real life match with maybe some moments from some winter Olympics in a recap.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Got a few surprise gifts this last week!

First, @chuck steak hit me with Annalynn! Only had it wishlisted for like three days.

And just today I see @Heartfinder has provided me with Final Fantasy IX! My PS1 version is pretty close to me since my cousin pieced together a full copy after my father passed in 2014.

Thanks to you both!

Did chuck steak get you before I did?! Looks like I'll have to up my Annalynn gifting game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Oh come on Humble. I want to play Offworld Trading Company, but also I don’t want anyone to ever give Stardock money.

• Options
    Witchsight wrote: »

You have to Git Gud somehow.
    Where am I. Ill show myself out.

I mean, it's sports. Git Gud is a prerequisite before one makes it on TV. For example...

Slightly off topic, with the 'rona going on, the Tournament of Hearts changed format again. The most recent was a team from each province/territory, the former year's winner (Team Canada), plus a 'wildcard' of the best team in the country not in the tournament. This year they went from one wildcard team to three. This led to my home province of Manitoba somehow having five teams in the tournament - Team Canada (previous winner), Team Manitoba, and all three wildcard teams. Truly, Manitoba is the Dark Souls of women's curling.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    The thread title got me, my 2000+ backlog is staring at valhalla. Always fun to get hyped into something new (unplayed everything else goes and cries in a corner).

Edit: Good thing my kids take some of the unplayed games out for walks in the family section.

Handkor on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Oh come on Humble. I want to play Offworld Trading Company, but also I don’t want anyone to ever give Stardock money.

:question:
    q4bubn0egd3p.png

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »

:question:
    q4bubn0egd3p.png

I’m assuming Humble had to pay them something in the first place, granted. Maybe I’m wrong!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    What's wrong with Stardock?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sunless Sea is free on Epic, not sure if it's worth getting outside of the story or not...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, if the story is any good free is a good price for it.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Sunless Sea is free on Epic, not sure if it's worth getting outside of the story or not...

The best way I can describe the gameplay is that it's like a roguelite take on Star Control 2 with more eldritch horror and without the mining.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Brad Wardell, whose greatest hits include being extreme-pro-Gamergate, transphobia, general misogyny, some bad faith dealings around the Ur-Quan Masters trademark, some alleged sexual harassment, and having the sort of personality that makes reading his utterances feel something like sandpapering your brain.

He’s never getting another penny of my money. (Other people can make other choices, you do you. But I can’t justify it, myself.)

CroakerBC on
  • Options

Brad Wardell, whose greatest hits include being extreme-pro-Gamergate, transphobia, general misogyny, some bad faith dealings around the Ur-Quan Masters trademark, some alleged sexual harassment, and having the sort of personality that makes reading his utterances feel something like sandpapering your brain.

He’s never getting another penny of my money. (Other people can make other choices, you do you. But I can’t justify it, myself.)

Releasing stingerless bees around a subordinate who had earlier revealed a bee allergy ranks up there as well.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    OUTRIDER demo out on STEAM and after the servers caught on fire. . .I am liking the gunplay. Movement feels a little floaty but that's not a big deal. Everything else is a chaotic mess of gibbing and elemental destruction. Prologue goes on a bit too long - mostly because you honestly just want to select your class and start tossing out powers.

. . .also game and the combat "arenas" look freaking great. Character faces are a bit meh though.

It’s essentially a video game ass video game. It’s like the average of all video games. Which is still pretty good, I find the gunplay serviceable but the powers very fun. Tho I’m worried about how repetitive it will get, it’s always hard to tell with these games how much the skill tree and enemy variety will stay fresh

Also the cover system is janky as hell but you basically only use it to wait for your powers to come back or in emergencies

Also I like this armour set you get at the end
    014e107b-d74f-489b-85ae-02f88a5cf575.PNG?sv=2015-12-11&sr=b&si=DefaultAccess&sig=dWQsNCw%2FbWp8hvHynaWSPSLHvIadmQz70hEzz3R5sag%3D

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Ok, my friends. I need some help with game recommendations for the kiddos. Specifically looking to get something new for the 9 year old.

He loves the strategy and RTS genres. He has Civ 6, but we also play a lot of C&C (The brood owns just about everything now thanks to sales, except for 4), Dawn of War, and some of the older Star Wars RTS games.

He had a good run of Civ, but I noticed he plays A LOT of the conquer the galaxy mode in Star Wars: Empire at War. Like A LOT A LOT. He'll spend hours just doing it. He also found the Risk style side of C&C 3, and he's constantly into that. He mostly skips the actual battles in C&C, but he does play the space battles in Star Wars.

That being said, I never got much into the 4X type of games. It was always RPGs or RTS for dad here.

Suggestions on a 4X "conquer the galaxy" game that has space battles where you can potentially direct units, but is also not so overwhelming that a younger kid could mostly figure it out, even if it's on the easier difficulties?

• Options
    A pity DoW soulstorm had the gsme mode your kid would have liked.

Rise of nations might have it as well.

Some total war when he gets older.

This discussion has been closed.