Options

Weirdest keyboard (maybe) bug I've ever had

PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
edited December 2020 in Help / Advice Forum
So I just got a new monitor, and after setting it up, the down key on my keyboard is permanently pressed.

BUT - it's not?! I am not having the issue in web browsers, gsheets, or even this text entry area. This is happening ONLY when I press the Windows key or in Windows menus (display settings, etc).

I don't even know what I should enter into google search to figure this one out. Any help is massively appreciated!

Edit: This is the monitor https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-CV27Q and my keyboard is just a DAS

Pacificstar on

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Do you have another keyboard to test with? And/or another pc you can try that keyboard (and monitor I guess, but that shouldn’t be causing this sort of thing at all) on?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    You only notice the down key always on when you hit the Windows key or in settings?

1) Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging? I'm sure you have but you know.
    2) Are you certain the down arrow is the problem key? I ask because I've actually had a key that looked like the problem not actually be the problem, and it was instead some other key that only affected certain situations.

If it does actually turn out to be the keyboard and not simply software-related, do you know what kind of switch you're using? I have some experience troubleshooting a few types of switches but very little with membrane keyboards which are terrible.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Do you have an Xbox controller plugged in? If so, unplug it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Hi all, sorry for the late response. It wasn't my keyboard or an xbox controller. The monitor came with a USB 3.0 attachment. I originally plugged it into a 2.0 slot (I'm not using the monitor USB slots), and that is what was causing the issue. Once I plugged it into USB 3.0 (or unplugged it entirely) the problem stopped.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Hi all, sorry for the late response. It wasn't my keyboard or an xbox controller. The monitor came with a USB 3.0 attachment. I originally plugged it into a 2.0 slot (I'm not using the monitor USB slots), and that is what was causing the issue. Once I plugged it into USB 3.0 (or unplugged it entirely) the problem stopped.

On the one hand: Ok awesome I'm glad it's fixed!

On the other hand: That is infuriatingly weird.