Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

19394969899

Posts

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    It's a gen 3

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My computer finally arrived! YAY!

    The Carbide 678C has absolutely garbage air intake! BOO!

    I think I need to stress test the shit out of this thing and then move it into a case that is both quiet and has decent airflow. The 678C has ZERO front intake ventilation unless the front door is open. Like, a few small redesigns (cutting some gaps in the door) would make all the difference in the world. I didn't catch how utterly pants on head stupid this design is. Jesus christ.

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Steve done did a video on the "gaming PCs BANNED" hysteria from a few days ago

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOHKLyjVSuE

    tl;dr gaming PCs not banned

  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Yeah it seems like what it amounts to is that it's basically requiring pre-built PCs sold to consumers to have more efficient PSUs at idle (the equivalent of 80+ Gold certs), and doesn't at all care if the computer itself could pull a solid 2000W at full speed.

    So if Dell, et al. wanna sell PCs in the 6 states that are carrying California's efficiency standards, then they need to pony up for a better quality, more efficient PSU.

  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It's also not really about home users. It's about the business that leave millions of low end, "low power", desktops humming away every day. Even in sleep conditions some of those trash-boxes use more power than they should. Plus the manufacturers have known about this for years. The hysteria was definitely the gamersgate side of the hobby trying to latch on to a "Fuck those dumb California libs" vibe.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    CyberpowerPC shipping/build quality review:

    * Once it entered the warehouse phase, I did not get updates to the estimated ship date, even when that date slipped by a full month. I had to call in to get updates to the inferred ship date based on expected part deliveries, and those dates slid. I can't completely blame them because supply chain, but I did not appreciate that they didn't provide any updates on the page.
    * I paid extra for them to fill the interior volume with foam; this ended up doing its job and nothing was out of place when it arrived
    * The RTX 3080 ended up being an ASUS TUF (they don't allow you to select the manufacturer). I would have liked an EVGA but I think I can live with an ASUS :)
    * Overall very good job with the wiring cleanliness--they were more meticulous than I am.
    * HOWEVER, they plugged the CPU fan into the AIO header. What the hell?
    * Fan placement was weird. One fan up front, one up top, one in the back
    * Turns out it's because the Carbide 678C is schizophrenically designed. While there are many design affordances and the internal layout is generally good, there is no virtually air intake with the front panel closed (just a tiny slot cut in the bottom). So there's also an air intake on top, presumably under the assumption you'll pull the vent cover off it. Overall, I rank this an F for airflow. There is basically no airflow if you use it as a low noise case, which is what it claims it is. Shame on you Cyberpower for even including this case in your lineup. This case is extremely stupid and you shouldn't be building PCs based on it.
    * The CPU cooler is actually better than I thought. Some relatively big Enermax that looks like it's a slightly cutdown version of the NH-D15 I planned on slotting in there. I'm hoping it will perform similarly, but we'll see.
    * Nit: there are a couple screws the builder clearly forced in. Come on, seriously?

    Still to do:
    * plug this thing in and start burn-in testing and benchmarking. It's hot today so maybe tonight.
    * Drop in the 64 gigs of RAM I have waiting in the wings and clock this thing to 3600 MHz.
    * Transfer over a 2 gig m.2 drive
    * Start moving everything over to it
    * Replace that shitty-ass case with something that isn't awful

    Overall I'd give them a B if you know what you're doing, and a D if you don't--because they let you fuck yourself over if you're not careful. The CPU fan header thing has me scratching my head. They need to work on their quality control.

    It's a good PC, but if you close that case up the interior temperature is going to skyrocket under any kind of load.

    edit: they also didn't install a heatsink on the PCIe4 nVME drive I bought. Come on, seriously? And what the heck did they do with that spare heatsink? I don't see it in the parts box. Dammit.

    Orca on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    May I make a biased suggestion of the current version of Meshify for a replacement case? It's easily the best case I've ever used.

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    May I make a biased suggestion of the current version of Meshify for a replacement case? It's easily the best case I've ever used.

    Meshify is not quiet! I intend to get the Define R8 or whatever they're up to.

    I could have bought the computer with the Meshify, and now I wish I had.

    That Carbide case frustrates the hell out of me since in any sane design it wouldn't be intentionally crippled the way it is.

    As it is it's just about useless to me. There is no noise deadening with the front and top panels opened. UGH.

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Also the EATX12V_2 header is not populated.

    Overall so far I'm irritated with the oversights despite paying a decent premium over the bare components for this build.

    If you're buying from CyberpowerPC, be prepared to do a thorough quality control check after it arrives.

    Orca on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Hokay, so I'm in the market for a new midtower ATX case. My old Corsair 400C has been trusty as hell and is still in great shape, however because of a lack of space I had to front mount my rad which is was not a big deal back when I had a 1080. I still had plenty of room for airflow and life was fine. However, the EVGA 3080 FTW3 is so big it severely blocks off the ability for air to flow out of the space underneath it so it's a little sauna underneath and isn't doing anything positive for my temps.

    Anyway, I'm looking for something pretty basic and as compact as possible. Honestly, if the 400C was like half an inch taller it'd still be perfect so I'm basically looking for something like that. I want to be able to top mount my 240mm H100i Platinum rad (keeping in mind my ram sticks are big Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro bastards) and have three intakes ramming air into the case. I have my own fan controller already and lotsa fans and I don't need any fancy SSD/HDD storage space since I've got dual M2s. I really just need a basic compact box to stick my shit in with enough clearance on top for the rad. Noise isn't an issue and I'm all about that high airflow life.

    The 4000D looks good but also like Corsair might have biffed the rad clearance again if you have tall sticks so that's kinda annoying and I don't wanna roll the dice on a swap only to get boned again.

    If someone has a recommendation that'd be really awesome! <3

    EDIT: I am, of course, also open to the idea of just yeeting my AIO for an air cooler if that's easier.

    TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Hokay, so I'm in the market for a new midtower ATX case. My old Corsair 400C has been trusty as hell and is still in great shape, however because of a lack of space I had to front mount my rad which is was not a big deal back when I had a 1080. I still had plenty of room for airflow and life was fine. However, the EVGA 3080 FTW3 is so big it severely blocks off the ability for air to flow out of the space underneath it so it's a little sauna underneath and isn't doing anything positive for my temps.

    Anyway, I'm looking for something pretty basic and as compact as possible. Honestly, if the 400C was like half an inch taller it'd still be perfect so I'm basically looking for something like that. I want to be able to top mount my 240mm H100i Platinum rad (keeping in mind my ram sticks are big Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro bastards) and have three intakes ramming air into the case. I have my own fan controller already and lotsa fans and I don't need any fancy SSD/HDD storage space since I've got dual M2s. I really just need a basic compact box to stick my shit in with enough clearance on top for the rad. Noise isn't an issue and I'm all about that high airflow life.

    The 4000D looks good but also like Corsair might have biffed the rad clearance again if you have tall sticks so that's kinda annoying and I don't wanna roll the dice on a swap only to get boned again.

    If someone has a recommendation that'd be really awesome! <3

    EDIT: I am, of course, also open to the idea of just yeeting my AIO for an air cooler if that's easier.

    Just gunna quote Mugsley on this cuz the Meshify cases are basically my default recommendation now:
    Mugsley wrote: »
    May I make a biased suggestion of the current version of Meshify for a replacement case? It's easily the best case I've ever used.

    Quick look at the specs says the Meshify C would work (315mm gpu when you have a front fan, supports 240mm rads up top).

  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    EDIT: "Top............................................................... 280mm with CORSAIR LPX DRAM / 240mm with all CORSAIR DRAM" Awwww yeah. Turns out the 4000D Airflow manual specifically talks about top mount rad compatibility and I'm actually good to go. I guess if I wasn't a dumb dumb I'd have just gone straight there first before asking, lol.

    Let's fucking gooooooooooo

    TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Radeon 6600 XT announced. Supposed to be the "epic 1080p" card. it replaces the $280 5600XT.

    the 6600 XT, at MSRP, is $380.

    MSRP still doesn't matter since no one can actually buy anything at MSRP, but the fact that even at MSRP the price of AMD's 1080p targeted card has gone up $100 is... not cool.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    As I've said many times, neither AMD or Nvidia is a friend to gamers. They will both drive prices as high as they can. If that means 1080p gaming starts requring a 400 dollar card they couldn't care less. Especially after the last 18 months where they've been able to sell every chip they've made and then some.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Sealed in box Sabrent 1TB M.2 drive I have sitting at home (got for $100 shipped) or $110 for 980 1TB from Amazon?

    980 has no DRAM cache, so

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Anyone have any good recommendations for an affordable mid-range CPU good for gaming? My i5 6600 has done well for the past half-decade, but I'm currently lost since there seem to be a lot of good options. One open to overclocking is a plus, since I want to give that a try.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Anyone have any good recommendations for an affordable mid-range CPU good for gaming? My i5 6600 has done well for the past half-decade, but I'm currently lost since there seem to be a lot of good options. One open to overclocking is a plus, since I want to give that a try.

    Any of the Ryzen 3xxx or 5xxx will fit the bill.
    If you are near a Microcenter, they are doing a deal on the 3700X right now for like $240 which is a hell of a steal.

    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Anyone have any good recommendations for an affordable mid-range CPU good for gaming? My i5 6600 has done well for the past half-decade, but I'm currently lost since there seem to be a lot of good options. One open to overclocking is a plus, since I want to give that a try.

    A 3600 will do what you need it to for at least a couple of years, and then you'll have an actually viable upgrade path to something like a 5900X or 5950X. Possibly even past that if the V-cache thing actually happens in any volume and you rather fancy the idea of a CPU with 200MB of on die cache.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Well grabbed a 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

    Discovered that canadacomputers.com creates product pages and then removes them when stock empties. I guess in a way to fight bots, but I noticed on the stock trackers, none of them were indicating when these came in stock.

    I watched the website for a few mornings and noticed the pricing is regular MRSP, didn't see any 3080's but this Ti listed for 1699 cdn which seemed like a good price.

    The 3080's are still 1300-1400, so not too big of a price difference. This thing is chonky though, damn.

    Dixon on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Is there much reason to put Windows on an NVME over a SATA SSD? Boot speed doesn't concern me - my laptop already boots off a SATA and I'm more than happy with how fast it boots.

    My concern is mainly available slots - the motherboards in my price range all only have 2 M.2 slots but have a myriad of SATA slots, so I'd rather throw a SATA in there for Windows to boot from and save the extra M.2 for later expansion.

  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Is there much reason to put Windows on an NVME over a SATA SSD? Boot speed doesn't concern me - my laptop already boots off a SATA and I'm more than happy with how fast it boots.

    My concern is mainly available slots - the motherboards in my price range all only have 2 M.2 slots but have a myriad of SATA slots, so I'd rather throw a SATA in there for Windows to boot from and save the extra M.2 for later expansion.

    Why would you not have your OS on the fastest possible data interface?

  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Is there much reason to put Windows on an NVME over a SATA SSD? Boot speed doesn't concern me - my laptop already boots off a SATA and I'm more than happy with how fast it boots.

    My concern is mainly available slots - the motherboards in my price range all only have 2 M.2 slots but have a myriad of SATA slots, so I'd rather throw a SATA in there for Windows to boot from and save the extra M.2 for later expansion.

    Why would you not have your OS on the fastest possible data interface?

    That's the question I am asking. Is there a reason not to?

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Is there much reason to put Windows on an NVME over a SATA SSD? Boot speed doesn't concern me - my laptop already boots off a SATA and I'm more than happy with how fast it boots.

    My concern is mainly available slots - the motherboards in my price range all only have 2 M.2 slots but have a myriad of SATA slots, so I'd rather throw a SATA in there for Windows to boot from and save the extra M.2 for later expansion.

    Why would you not have your OS on the fastest possible data interface?

    That's the question I am asking. Is there a reason not to?

    It's an incremental increase in your performance to put it on the nVME drive.

    Unless you have a specific reason not to, I'd start with the nVME drive and use SATA for expansion needs once I run out of nVME slots (or if it's a conventional HDD for size/cost over speed).

  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Fair enough. Time to tweak my build more.

  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Also, MS seem to be powering ahead with making more use of NVME's capabilities, so although the delta is small now, it will only increase.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm considering moving the 500GB NVMe from my desktop into my aging laptop via an adapter. (the laptop has a 860M GPU; to get an idea of its age)

    I have no issues performing the swap itself, but I'm worried that the extra heat generated by NVMe may cause issues.

    That all being said, my first step will be to dig through my stack of 2.5" drives and see if I have a SATA drive that's in the 500GB range that I'm not using. This would be the second option.

    The drive in my laptop is 250GB and while I haven't had space issues with it, I did get a "low space" warning last night when trying to install a new game on it while we're on vacation.

  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Another PC build question - have we reached the time when it's good to have 32gb RAM yet?

  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Another PC build question - have we reached the time when it's good to have 32gb RAM yet?
    yes

  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It isn't really needed unless you play MSFS or something with a ton of mods, but it doesn't hurt anything.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    16GB and 32GB kits are now 'affordable' so you'll see them more. I bought a second 16GB kit for my build 2 years ago

  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    a5ehren wrote: »
    It isn't really needed unless you play MSFS or something with a ton of mods, but it doesn't hurt anything.

    Or use any web browser since they’re the biggest fucking memory hogs.

    I can have any web browser on the market open with like 4 tabs and that bitch is taking up 10 gigs of RAM

    jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Another PC build question - have we reached the time when it's good to have 32gb RAM yet?

    I was happy with 64 GB until yesterday!

    I need 128GB now. Hopefully capable memory capacity goes up with Zen4.

    Always buy more than you think you will need.

    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Another PC build question - have we reached the time when it's good to have 32gb RAM yet?

    I was happy with 64 GB until yesterday!

    I need 128GB now. Hopefully capable memory capacity goes up with Zen4.

    Always buy more than you think you will need.

    I'm guessing people will hang their hats on DDR5 being faster, versus more capacity. Although the capacity boost that Samsung's DDR5 modules are touting make my mouth water.

  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Another PC build question - have we reached the time when it's good to have 32gb RAM yet?

    I was happy with 64 GB until yesterday!

    I need 128GB now. Hopefully capable memory capacity goes up with Zen4.

    Always buy more than you think you will need.

    I'm guessing people will hang their hats on DDR5 being faster, versus more capacity. Although the capacity boost that Samsung's DDR5 modules are touting make my mouth water.

    I don't think you are wrong about people valuing speed over capacity but DDR5 could operate at 5 EB/s and if I cant fit what I need to fit into memory the speed is irrelevant.

    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    There's also a pretty decent chance that DDR5 memory ends up being more expensive than DDR4, at least for the first while.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    DDR5 allows for increased density as well. Samsung is showing off 768GB modules for datacenters.

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So this is what I have picked out for my new rig so far. If I wanted to overclock, what would be a good cooler to pick up? Any changes I should make? The only parts set in stone are the graphics card and PSU, which are being used in my current PC.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    So this is what I have picked out for my new rig so far. If I wanted to overclock, what would be a good cooler to pick up? Any changes I should make? The only parts set in stone are the graphics card and PSU, which are being used in my current PC.

    I'm biased but if you can get a B550 Tomahawk vs the Pro, I think it's a better board. (I love my B450 Tomahawk)

    I think you can find better RAM but I can't point you anywhere at this moment.

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    So this is what I have picked out for my new rig so far. If I wanted to overclock, what would be a good cooler to pick up? Any changes I should make? The only parts set in stone are the graphics card and PSU, which are being used in my current PC.

    I'm biased but if you can get a B550 Tomahawk vs the Pro, I think it's a better board. (I love my B450 Tomahawk)

    I think you can find better RAM but I can't point you anywhere at this moment.

    What advantages does Tomahawk have over the Pro?

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
This discussion has been closed.