Options

[PC Build Thread] Nope, you still can't buy anything

19394959698

Posts

  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Dell reps are trained to sell warranties they won’t honor, not provide good service. The Lenovo “warranty void if opened” sticker on the outside bag of the PC you had to open to set up was a hilarious example.

    I can’t get mad at the reps/techs because they’re just doing as directed.

    jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Dell reps are trained to sell warranties they won’t honor, not provide good service. The Lenovo “warranty void if opened” sticker on the outside bag of the PC you had to open to set up was a hilarious example.

    I can’t get mad at the reps/techs because they’re just doing as directed.

    Excuse me WHAT

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Dell reps are trained to sell warranties they won’t honor, not provide good service. The Lenovo “warranty void if opened” sticker on the outside bag of the PC you had to open to set up was a hilarious example.

    I can’t get mad at the reps/techs because they’re just doing as directed.

    Excuse me WHAT

    I can't find the particular timestamp, but GN properly segments their videos.

    https://youtu.be/S_b0ndn5oIg

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    So I finally go my RAM in (thanks @Mugsley ), and building my new rig is going surprisingly well. Two questions, though.

    1. Does it matter if the cooler is positioned horizontally or vertically? I tried vertical, but the bracket wouldn’t position right, so I settled for horizontal.

    2. Since Im using a new motherboard, I have to transfer my Windows license to my new machine, right? I got a guide on it, just want to make sure it’s necessary before moving forward.

    Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I've installed that second nVME drive, scavenged some spacers from my existing motherboard, along with an SATA power chain and the second 12V power cable from that setup, and replaced 8 GB of DDR 2400 with 64 gigs of DDR 3600 along with applying the DOCP profile and a mild overclock.

    Time Spy:

    rfpjcmob82a6.png

    Not bad.

  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Are there any good video guides for building a PC you guys can recommend?

    I'll probably not do it, but I wouldn't mind watching a few videos that show how it's done. Also might help me troubleshoot any issues.

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Now the question: do I hold onto my Define R7 in the expectation of maybe one day moving my build over to it? Or do I just get rid of the whole thing and call it a day and just buy a new Define case whenever I get the hankering to have a case that better fits my needs?

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Are there any good video guides for building a PC you guys can recommend?

    I'll probably not do it, but I wouldn't mind watching a few videos that show how it's done. Also might help me troubleshoot any issues.

    It's 2019 but still relevant.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gHY6ygHj80c

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Well, looks like god wants to fuck me over anyhow. I think the pins in my US!B 3.0 header are bent, and I can’t fit the case plug into it. I don’t want to have to disassemble and RMA it. Especially since I already removed the graphics card and PSU from my old rig. :(

    86arpxhxdyt7.jpeg

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If you don't have a motherboard case, is there a good way to ship a motherboard? Other than within a full blown computer case?

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    If you don't have a motherboard case, is there a good way to ship a motherboard? Other than within a full blown computer case?

    Oh I have the box and bag it came in. And I even have extra anti-static bags just in case.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    If you don't have a motherboard case, is there a good way to ship a motherboard? Other than within a full blown computer case?

    Oh I have the box and bag it came in. And I even have extra anti-static bags just in case.

    Well, this is more for my benefit. You see, I have some hardware I'm thinking of getting rid of now that might find a good home to someone here.

  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    So while the USB header still vexes me, I managed to get everything else up and running. A lot of annoying updating and settings adjustments, but my new rig is now up and running! Decided to run the Endwalker benchmark again and got 50% increased score and 50% reduced load times. Success!

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    You should be able to push the pins back into position with a precision screwdriver or something similar. I've bent some of those pins myself accidentally and while tedious to fix it's nowhere near as bad as trying to fix CPU or CPU socket pins.

    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    You should be able to push the pins back into position with a precision screwdriver or something similar. I've bent some of those pins myself accidentally and while tedious to fix it's nowhere near as bad as trying to fix CPU or CPU socket pins.

    I tried with a safety pin, but I don’t think I have the dexterity to do that. I’ll sleep on it and come up with some ideas.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2021
    the motherboard USB pins should be relatively easy to push back into place by hand yeah, it's only really a problem if one snaps off
    also I can't see shit in that photo

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    You should be able to push the pins back into position with a precision screwdriver or something similar. I've bent some of those pins myself accidentally and while tedious to fix it's nowhere near as bad as trying to fix CPU or CPU socket pins.

    I tried with a safety pin, but I don’t think I have the dexterity to do that. I’ll sleep on it and come up with some ideas.

    Try using a pen or mechanical pencil without the pen/lead.

    I used a knife when I invent some cpu pins but I was trying to straighten out a couple pins in a row.

  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    If you don't have a motherboard case, is there a good way to ship a motherboard? Other than within a full blown computer case?

    Oh I have the box and bag it came in. And I even have extra anti-static bags just in case.

    Well, this is more for my benefit. You see, I have some hardware I'm thinking of getting rid of now that might find a good home to someone here.

    You can get motherboard sized anti static bags online, and then all that's necessary is a proper sized box and adequate padding. You can also get CPU socket covers online if it's an Intel board.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    You should be able to push the pins back into position with a precision screwdriver or something similar. I've bent some of those pins myself accidentally and while tedious to fix it's nowhere near as bad as trying to fix CPU or CPU socket pins.

    I tried with a safety pin, but I don’t think I have the dexterity to do that. I’ll sleep on it and come up with some ideas.

    Try using a pen or mechanical pencil without the pen/lead.

    I used a knife when I invent some cpu pins but I was trying to straighten out a couple pins in a row.

    This is the safest way. A mechanical pencil should have the perfect sized opening for the pins.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Also.

    GN proving that I dodged a bullet when I returned my Gigabyte mATX board 2 years ago due to a bad RAM slot (i.e. more of their shit failing catastrophically; no idea if it's infant mortality or bad QC)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I've had a Gigabyte motherboard before that was fine (still functional today!) but it's not a brand I trust.

    Aren't they formerly Chips & Bits? Because that brand produced trash.

  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    No idea. I know that back in the late Pentium/early Core days, they were supposed to be the rock solid brand. Not any more.

  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Wasn't too long ago I had that Aorus Pro I had to return because there was no LED on the board for flashing the BIOS.

    Plugged in a Tomahawk 3 days later, changing absolutely nothing else, everything went off without a hitch, and I'll never fuck around with Gigabyte ever again (I totally will I forgive companies all the time).

    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Back in the day the Gigabyte "UltraDurable" boards were super solid. Not overly feature rich but solid boards with good components. Gigabyte seemed to lose it's a way bit when the industry shifted towards trying to push really blingy boards.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    FWIW, I'm never going to buy a gigabyte board against after the RMA process was a nightmare. They shipped it back to me saying they wouldn't do shit after a couple months of comm silence, and I didn't get the email about the decision until it had already been shipped back for a week

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Mechanical pencil seemed to be working until I broke one of the pins. Looks like I’m going to have to RMA the board. Will just order a new one and use this one for the time being. Le sigh.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    aw shoot

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    aw shoot

    Yeah, it sucks. But the machine is otherwise usable, so it's not like I'm totally up shit creek while I wait for the replacement to come in.

    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My current rig is a Gigbyte Mobo and GPU. Never had any problems

  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    FWIW, I'm never going to buy a gigabyte board against after the RMA process was a nightmare. They shipped it back to me saying they wouldn't do shit after a couple months of comm silence, and I didn't get the email about the decision until it had already been shipped back for a week

    Yeah, the only gigabyte board I owned started going into a POST loop, which was a known problem apparently. I sent it off to get RMAd and they sent the same board back to me that had the same problem.

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    ATTENTION THREAD.

    (Please don't quote this, certain information will self-destruct after a time)

    I have the following free for anybody to pick up/meet/whatever the following hardware. I'd prefer if the 9900K-based system went to someone who would actually use it rather than parting it out, but obviously I can't stop you from selling it.

    Intel 9900K-based system:

    * Fractal Define R7 case
    * Intel 9900K
    * 280mm radiator
    * Z570 motherboard (missing the screw and spacer for the second nVME drive)
    * GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    * 64 gigs of RAM
    * NO POWER SUPPLY (sorry, I'm holding onto it as a backup)
    * Doesn't overclock well; I suspect one of the RAM sticks may be marginal

    * CLAIMED!

    Intel 3570K-based system (I'm happy to part out the useful bits for shipping + supplies. The CPU+motherboard is probably destined for hazardous waste):
    * Fractal Define R6 case
    * Intel 3570K
    * Some motherboard, who gives a shit, it's ancient
    * 16 gigs of RAM (I think)
    * GTX 970
    * 850 watt power supply (4-5 years old)
    * 512(?) gig SSD.

    If you can use any bits out of the second system, send me a message. Otherwise it's destined for donation/disposal.

    Orca on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Wow that's amazing Orca!

  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Wow that's amazing Orca!

    I had a moment of clarity last week that maybe 4 mid towers in my 600 ft^2 apartment was silly.

    Rather than selling off the bits and bobs I figured someone here could use a nice upgrade. Consider doing the same for your fellow forumer!

  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Wow that's amazing Orca!

    I had a moment of clarity last week that maybe 4 mid towers in my 600 ft^2 apartment was silly.

    Rather than selling off the bits and bobs I figured someone here could use a nice upgrade. Consider doing the same for your fellow forumer!

    I've always given the parts to my childhood friend who is a teacher and coaches the esports team at his school. Can't have the youth learning on subpar parts!

  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Kinda disappointed that my new PC doesn't have ports for 5.1 surround sound speakers but at the same time I guess I don't have to futz with trying to position the rears.

  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    After ASUS burned me with their motherboards...who makes good 3080ti GPUs?

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    EVGA has a good reputation, but then again I thought ASUS did too.

  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    EVGA has a good reputation, but then again I thought ASUS did too.

    After an RMA due to a motherboard with unstable headers, they sent me a new motherboard with a new S/N....

    ...that had the same unstable headers.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021
    Yeah EVGA and Asus usually my top picks.

    I just grabbed a 3080Ti FTW Ultra and have been very pleased. I'm back into my VR flight sims.

    I've never used their warranty but hear good things. The only 'service' I've used of theirs was the step-up program back when I bought an 8600gt and upgraded to an 8800gt.

    Dixon on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The best GPU is the GPU you can actually buy, for whatever price you can buy it at.

    That’s the market.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.