Options

we don't have to buy shit, but we're going to anyway

Indie WinterIndie Winter die KräheRudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
edited November 2022 in Social Entropy++
So since I managed to get a significant raise at my workplace I decided to treat myself to a little something

a while back I found my dad's old pen collection - in it were a series of six Waterman pens and a mechanical pencil; one travel sized, one big fountain pen, the works. It was still in the box too, but it was just a blue brand case with basic faux-felt indent lining

so I decided, since I can afford it and since these pens hold sentimental value to me, that I'll get a nice display case to show them in

but here's the kicker: turns out a 6 pen case is nigh impossible to find

every pen case is aimed at the high cost extravagance of the deep and abyssal well that is pen collection enthusiasts, meaning it's a one-pen showpiece made out of rare mahogany or some shit or a 12-to-24 pen emporium

but extensive googling has resulted in success

in Singapore, a store called Peninasia; in it, a 6 pen leather case by a company called Wolf 1834 specializing in "luxury jewelry accessories, watch boxes, cases & watch winders". said leather case no longer in production; it is the last of a defunct run

and I nabbed it

b05gpo9ss3ph.jpg
dn97djjfqtqw.jpg

and it got me thinking, ya'll got to have stories about neat purchases

so please share the cool things you buy and why you buy them

wY6K6Jb.gif
DJ Eebs on

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’ve been wracking my brain and it’s making me sad by reminding me that I’m programmed to desire things but can’t recall any purchases of “things” that have brought me enjoyment ... other than my switch, which is a super duper boring answer among this crowd

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I collect sports cards and memorabilia and while I don’t have near enough money to get most of the things I would love to get I do have a card that is over 100 years old and that’s pretty cool.

m0we5w2ahui4.jpeg

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Other than my record collection, I don't buy a ton of splurges for myself. There is one exception though - I play Ukulele and you can never have too many:

sss8dku05i8o.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Don’t let Tube see those ukuleles. Ukekeli? Ukes?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Other than my record collection, I don't buy a ton of splurges for myself. There is one exception though - I play Ukulele and you can never have too many:

sss8dku05i8o.jpg

You can't post that you own an Enya ukelele without also posting your cover of Orinoco Flow, c'mon...

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Bank charged me two dollar for not havin any money now I got -three dollar

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    of the many stupid purchases I made in my life, this is probably still the coolest

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    How much current does that draw?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    comes with a 120V plug

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Speaking of cool pens:

vh1g367q061r.jpg

coxmf3k2d6yh.jpg

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    comes with a 120V plug

Missed the chance at 1d20V joke

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    of the many stupid purchases I made in my life, this is probably still the coolest

Does it still float if you put heavier dice on it?

• Options
    yup, but it still requires an electric current

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Snorlax! The best pokemon.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I was broke enough for long enough, and have enough residual guilt about being okay now, that I don't do much in the way of Buying A Nice Thing To Have A Nice Thing.

But I did do one splurge, where I bought a Chris Onstad original sketch. Achewood was huge for me, and I got to give some money to a dude what helped shape me and now I have a fun thing to put on my wall.

HCGXtB4.jpg?1

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Snorlax! The best pokemon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce5mRvkAePU

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    hold strong, comrades

do not succumb to capitalism

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    hold strong, comrades

do not succumb to capitalism

It's not succumbing to capitalism unless you're creating a stock portfolio, and even then...

This is just plain old "buying stuff" and, as long as we take care of them, we don't have to feel guilty about it.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    All of my cool shit has mostly been purchased in antique shops in Japan.

I got a wonderful clay tanuki statue that is currently in my parent’s basement that will probably stay there until I buy an apartment with more than four rooms.

sarukun on
  • Options
    how... how big is that tanuki statue

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

The tanuki itself or its gigantic testicles?

• Options
    yes

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

He comes up to my knee and he is roughly 40% testes by height and volume.

• Options
    so why would you need another room for him

does he require a dedicated viewing gallery

do his testes

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I was weak, but at least I supported a timber company in the Ukraine instead of a faceless corporation.

I don't actually have a wall to put this up on yet, so pictured is it mounted on someone else's.

ef2gj8h2bjuj.png

• Options
    nice! how much did it cost? was shipping from the ukraine expensive?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I guess I just fundamentally disagree with the thread title.

Succumbing to capitalism would be me becoming a centrist, and proclaiming that our current modern democracies are Good, Actually, and supporting exploitative corporations.

I suppose I take offence from the notion that I am giving in to exploitative capitalism by trying to bring a bit of joy into the lives of my friends and family.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    It's more consumerism than capitalism though, isn't it?
    I at least don't put any blame on people not being able to sever themselves from all earthly desires in the pursuit of starving the machine though.
    People want stuff.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

Surprisingly reasonable, I want to say it was around $40? Weighs about six kilos.

This is where I bought it, looks like the sale is going for another three hours, 60% off, which is what pushed me over the edge.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Consumerism is definitely the main problem with capitalism, that and regulatory capture / monopolies on utilities. I will cede that it could work with many tweaks to the current system, but my online persona demands communist hot takes.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    It's more consumerism than capitalism though, isn't it?
    I at least don't put any blame on people not being able to sever themselves from all earthly desires in the pursuit of starving the machine though.
    People want stuff.

Sure, that's a useful distinction. Perhaps it's my own narrow interpretation, but consumerism is a vapid urge to purchase things for the sake of the purchase itself, often as a form of conspicuous consumerism (look at my fancy new car, clothes, gadget, doodad etc.).

The examples here are different, imo

I dunno I feel like I'm off on a weird tangent, today has been a big day

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I succumbed to capitalism today and exchanged currency for goods, specifically about $11 for some of the best Kahlua pork that I've ever had. Like holy fuck good. Going to be going back!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Lately what has been getting my gears going is home organisation so I’ve just been buying baskets, shelves and boxes.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I like to acquire hardgoods that could last a life-time with proper maintenance and care. To that end my holiday gift to myself was two carbon steel pans, a smaller egg pan, and a larger 12.5" skillet.

I cook eggs pretty regularly so the seasoning on the small pan is already coming in beautifully. I'm really trying to figure out what to make on the big skillet, aside from thick-cut bacon.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    I like to acquire hardgoods that could last a life-time with proper maintenance and care. To that end my holiday gift to myself was two carbon steel pans, a smaller egg pan, and a larger 12.5" skillet.

I cook eggs pretty regularly so the seasoning on the small pan is already coming in beautifully. I'm really trying to figure out what to make on the big skillet, aside from thick-cut bacon.

Three part question

1) What model pan'd you get?
    2) How do you cook your eggs?
    3) How're you seasoning that pan?

I friggin' love eggs and hate my current pan, I am real curious about a Better Egg Life

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »

Surprisingly reasonable, I want to say it was around $40? Weighs about six kilos.

This is where I bought it, looks like the sale is going for another three hours, 60% off, which is what pushed me over the edge.

oh, that's remarkedly affordable! I spotted a nice piece of wall art on etsy a while back, but it costs a stupid amount of money, and shipping it here add another 25% to the final price

iap_640x640.1785672390_psk2urrc.jpg

one day though... one day

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I wish I could have physical things but since I don't own a place most of my money goes to food and digital stuff like video games and simping for vtubers

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I bought a cast iron dutch oven! I'm gonna cook stuff in it, as one does

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    user wrote: »

Three part question

1) What model pan'd you get?
    2) How do you cook your eggs?
    3) How're you seasoning that pan?

I friggin' love eggs and hate my current pan, I am real curious about a Better Egg Life

I got myself a DeBuyer mineral-b 9.5" omelette pan.

Now there's cheaper options if you have a gas-range, I went with DeBuyer specifically because I rent and as such I bregudgingly have a glass-top electric range and one of the down-sides of that sort of burner is that I needed the thicker 3mm Carbon Steel from DeBuyer to prevent warping from the temperature differential from the sides and the flat bottom, unlike a gas range -- where heated gas can envelope and get heat up along and into the curved edges of the pan and a thinner carbon-steel pan would be fine.

I cook my eggs in butter, ideally you'd use clarified butter but I don't really bother with that unless I happen to find ghee at a good price. I just use whole pats (~1 tbps/egg) of butter, that might sound like a lot but not all of that butter is getting absorbed into the egg. I cook em on medium and add my eggs when the butter has mostly done sizzling cause that means the natural water content has mostly steamed out.

If saving butter is your priority, then definitely invest in a hard-anodized aluminum non-stick pan instead, where you might only need 1tsp/egg of butter or oil.

Seasoning is dead simple, with the caveat that a brand new pan will ship to you with some kind of protective coating that will need a good scrubbing off under very hot water. In the Mineral B line it's beeswax, which I appreciate because it's not as environmentally complicated as it might be with other brands. Once that's off you just heat up the pan ~ medium-high and while it's heating up splash a good dab of a high-flashpoint neutral oil -- I intermingle grapeseed or safflower/sunflower oil -- and use a towel to distribute it across the surface of the pan. Let it smoke slightly for a couple minutes. Then it's done and the first seasoning show have slightly discolored the pan, like it went from bare grey metal to a dull bronzed titanium color!

This is a process you'll repeat quite often, when the pan is looking like it's a little dry after wiping it post-cooking. A carbon steel pan is going to darken up and brown/black out over time, and that's perfectly great -- it's polymerized fats that have bonded to the carbon in the iron to form a naturally non-stick surface with none of the heat-sensitive toxic volatile organic compounds in traditional non-stick cookware.

To me the biggest upsides to carbon-steel have been that it's not as heavy as cast-iron (something I've used for more than 10 years, and would still use for cornbread/pizza), which make it much easier to manage, jostle, shake or move the pan. And just like cast-iron, no matter how badly you fuck up the pan it's relatively simple to get the pan back to bare metal and make it like new again with a new seasoning; and once you learn how to build/maintain a seasoning they'll last years and years.

user on
This discussion has been closed.