As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GOO [CHAT]

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited December 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
ab59gkxckjal.jpg

CITIZEN, IT IS YOUR DUTY, NAY, HONOR, TO BE SUBSUMED WITHIN THE WARM FOLDS OF THE WELCOMING GOO CHAMBER

YOUR FLESH WAS ONCE ENVELOPED INTO A GOO CHAMBER BEFORE YOUR BIRTH, AND IT IS TO THIS CHAMBER YOU MUST RETURN

FOR THE GREATER GOOD
11101000111101101001111010101111001010111010100101000110001010101111AEF

jungleroomx on

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    ab59gkxckjal.jpg

CITIZEN, IT IS YOUR DUTY, NAY, HONOR, TO BE SUBSUMED WITHIN THE WARM FOLDS OF THE WELCOMING GOO CHAMBER

YOUR FLESH WAS ONCE ENVELOPED INTO A GOO CHAMBER BEFORE YOUR BIRTH, AND IT IS TO THIS CHAMBER YOU MUST RETURN

FOR THE GREATER GOOD

Eww

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I'm sitting here going "jungle room x jungle jungle room x" to the same cadence as Zack De La Rocha "run them jewels fast runthem run them jewels fast" in Close Your Eyes (And Count to Fuck).

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    QUESTION: is the goo vegan?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Aioua wrote: »
    QUESTION: is the goo vegan?

IRRELEVANT

IT IS GOOAN

ALL NUTRITION IS SYNTHETICALLY DERIVED PASTE CUSTOM DEVELOPED TO THE OCCUPANT AND FED SLOWLY AT A CONSISTENT PACE

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    An hour into tinker tailor soldier spy and
    1) nothing has happened
    2) there are no tinkers, tailors, or soldiers

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Your flesh is a relic; a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Winky wrote: »
    I didn't think RoS was that bad

I think you extend uncommon generosity to media because you are looking for something to find interesting about it

This is good for you but bad for agreeing on media

So, turn off your brain regarding plot consistency or tonal carry over from the other movies; as a last in a series RoS is decisively awful.

But just on the level of an action romp with some emotional beats and pretty set pieces, it's not all that bad.

this is not true at all!
    tyrannus wrote: »
    if (syndicator) this.syndicator = syndicator

this feels like silly code

Is there an else instantiating a new syndicator

it can't really be written differently, I am using our state manager NgRX to retrieve syndicator from the store, but the syndicator may not be loaded when this component compiles, so we check if syndicator is defined, and if it is assign to to this.syndicator so it is accessible throughout the component

it just looks very silly

I guess checking if syndicator exists isn't totally necessary in this case since we aren't calling syndicator.hasANiceHat or anything

Can you force the load if it hasn't happened yet instead of ignoring that
    Shivahn wrote: »
    also just imagine it's summer and I'm wearing a saucy tank top and sunglasses while I'm wearing that hat

Is anyone ever not imagining this?

hello, yes, me

I'm imagining amal farouk wearing a saucy tank top

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Powerpuppies is right, as always, when he is not criticizing me

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    That is some attractive goo

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Your flesh is a relic; a mere vessel. Hand over your flesh, and a new world awaits you. We demand it.

THE NEURAL NETWORK OF YOUR DISGUSTING ORGANIC BRAIN CAN BE INTERFACED WITH CLEAN, PURE TECHNOLOGY AND WITHIN WE CAN SIMULATE IMMORTALITY

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people."

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

Into the vats!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Ppups the load occurs but is asynchronous

The subscription to the store happens immediately so there’s a brief period where the store returns a blank before the load is finished

It’s a bit awkward but not really a problem

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

THE NEURAL NETWORK OF YOUR DISGUSTING ORGANIC BRAIN CAN BE INTERFACED WITH CLEAN, PURE TECHNOLOGY AND WITHIN WE CAN SIMULATE IMMORTALITY

I yelled this during sex the other night

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @nexuscrawler @Abdhyius I'm pretty sure proprioception does not include equilibrium/balance. Those are separate senses mediated by fluid-filled ear canals (which can sense acceleration in all directions). Proprioception includes stretch receptors, which tell how stretched a muscle is (this is how you know where things are in space) and golgi tendon organs, which iirc sense pressure (so even if you're completely static, trying to move a giant boulder, you know roughly how much force you're applying).

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    An hour into tinker tailor soldier spy and
    1) nothing has happened
    2) there are no tinkers, tailors, or soldiers

People in the book thread described Le Carre's novels as doorstoppers but the one I read (the first book featuring that spy I think, Call for the Dead?) was a short and zippy spy adventure story that was quite enjoyable. So idk if that might be more fun.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

but is my new body bangin'?

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is a vehicle for Gary Oldman to actorbate all over everyone else’s face.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options

we told you not to go sunbathing

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    For whatever reason the tiger discussion from last chat reminded me of the visualizations that they use for neural nets that show vaguely what it's "looking for" for each classifier:

ic09pld4gzke.jpg

Winky on
  • Options
    have i posted enough evidence that goo should be banned from toys

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    People always suggest uploading their consciousness to the cloud, but the second they do, their experience diverges and it becomes different from living forever. ShivCorp is the only corporation who has found a way around this troubling fact, instead making the experience more like sleep - just a momentary blip in consciousness - with our patented method of shooting you in the head as soon as the upload is complete.

• Options
    edited December 2020

PROCESSING PHRASE "BANGIN'"

ORIGIN: 1998 UNITED STATES SLANG *OUTDATED* SIMILAR PHRASES "OFF THE CHAIN" "SLAMMIN'"

RESPONSE: LOWER VAT GOO TEMPERATURE TO INDUCE UNCOMFORTABLE SHIVERING FOR 2 MONTHS IN AN ATTEMPT TO PREVENT FURTHER USAGE

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    On average, we are already almost entirely made of goo

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

ORIGIN: 1998 UNITED STATES SLANG *OUTDATED*

RESPONSE: LOWER VAT GOO TEMPERATURE TO INDUCE UNCOMFORTABLE SHIVERING FOR 2 MONTHS IN AN ATTEMPT TO PREVENT FURTHER USAGE

Ok well that both didn't answer the question and made it seem like an unpleasant process!

I'm afraid I'll have to decline the offer.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Naturally, in addition to reading, in the first few months of 2020 I also spent a fair amount of time thinking about and planning my book tour: contemplating which cities to visit; pondering which passages of the novel to read; feeling mild anxiety over the possibility of reading at a bookstore in front an audience of only one or two people.

Little did I know that, in September, just two weeks after the release of my novel, I’d be sitting in my home office in Colorado giving a reading in front of a computer, and that a completely naked eighty-year-old man would appear on the screen during the event, fully aroused, and, uh, pleasuring himself. Of all the disastrous scenarios I’d envisioned for my book launch, the possibility of a geriatric onanist had not crossed my mind.

https://themillions.com/2020/12/a-year-in-reading-david-heska-wanbli-weiden.html

dang, gottem

• Options
    d30288f12ad7e68c5585d8fc316f0ec3--thought-experiment-leiden.jpg

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    @nexuscrawler @Abdhyius I'm pretty sure proprioception does not include equilibrium/balance. Those are separate senses mediated by fluid-filled ear canals (which can sense acceleration in all directions). Proprioception includes stretch receptors, which tell how stretched a muscle is (this is how you know where things are in space) and golgi tendon organs, which iirc sense pressure (so even if you're completely static, trying to move a giant boulder, you know roughly how much force you're applying).

I just googled it and got a thing that said "including balance" so I was like, well, I guess

since the term I know is kinaesthesia as I said

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Uploading consciousness at all is so deeply stupid that I can totally see people doing it without even the smallest shred of philosophical comprehension, and then serial killers / philosophical renegades / anartists stealing that data and torturing people for eternity

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

ORIGIN: 1998 UNITED STATES SLANG *OUTDATED*

Ok well that both didn't answer the question and made it seem like an unpleasant process!

I'm afraid I'll have to decline the offer.

BODY TYPE IS IRRELEVANT, MEATSPACE IS INVALID

ENGAGING "RELUCTANT SUBJECT" CORRECTIVE ACTIONS *whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir*

• Options
    We come from the goo, we return to the goo

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    On average, we are already almost entirely made of goo

or fleshy stuff, in the jargon

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    1534537707046.jpg

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Uploading consciousness at all is so deeply stupid that I can totally see people doing it without even the smallest shred of philosophical comprehension, and then serial killers / philosophical renegades stealing that data and torturing people for eternity

I'm positive we are going to be able to do something that looks roughly like it (but clearly isn't actually it) long before we understand consciousness functionally. And we're going to try it and do some kind of terrible harm.

This discussion has been closed.