As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]thos

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I'm putting zero points in the hacking stat (Int?) because hacking in real time confuses and frightens me

I love hacking

I just got this hack that
    let's me make someone unconscious from far away without triggering enemy aggression.

makes it so if there is a pair of enemies, I can hack one and then takedown the other with stealth

I have a hack that's similar
    I literally blow their head off with a sniper rifle

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Oh man

C2077 Judy mission spoilers
    When you're in the small room with the Tyger Claw bosses and Maiko? 2 OHK's with Panam's sniper rifle.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I'm putting zero points in the hacking stat (Int?) because hacking in real time confuses and frightens me

I love hacking

let's me make someone unconscious from far away without triggering enemy aggression.

makes it so if there is a pair of enemies, I can hack one and then takedown the other with stealth

but then you can't stealth the rest of the area

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it is kind of silly how sniping while sneaking means nobody notices the person 15ft away picking everyone off one by one with an extremely loud rifle as long as you are behind cover

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    My boss 3D printed me a fiddle for Christmas.

Now I just have to learn how to play the fiddle.

Hey Chat

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

I love hacking

I have sometimes killed them faster than they can aggro.

If you do it from across the street and nobody's looking at each other, it's really easy to just pop em like grapes.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2020

I love hacking

I have a stealth solution to that actually
    Once everyone is dead in the firefight it’s quiet

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    My boss 3D printed me a fiddle for Christmas.

Now I just have to learn how to play the fiddle.

Hey Chat

https://youtu.be/4BCpWKDoNnY

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Committing to a build is crucial, otherwise there is no point to builds. But "committing" doesn't mean for the whole game, or for a really long time, or without the means to adjust at all. It means you have to design your game around X amount of time committed to the build, and that amount can vary.

A game where you can go into your menu and respec completely, any time, even mid-battle, would be terrible. It would be even worse if that were optimal play and required to beat fights! Nobody wants that (I hope). Opening menus during combat is disgusting.

But being able respec completely after every encounter is a bit too much, too. Some games can make it work, surely, but being able to just tweak your build after every fight is very common and seems fun. Committing to your build for a series of fights or a short run (30 m to 1 h) seems like a common sweet spot, as does committing for many hours but allowing major respecs for a high cost, and having a high floor for effectiveness (e.g. if your skill with the core mechanics is more important than your build)

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I love hacking

It is hard to do that from miles away through walls even with like tech weapons.
    Contagion is absurd and can take out entire groups at once without breaking stealth or even needing to aim for the head or anything.

• Options
    Committing to a build is crucial, otherwise there is no point to builds. But "committing" doesn't mean for the whole game, or for a really long time, or without the means to adjust at all. It means you have to design your game around X amount of time committed to the build, and that amount can vary.

A game where you can go into your menu and respec completely, any time, even mid-battle, would be terrible. It would be even worse if that were optimal play and required to beat fights! Nobody wants that (I hope). Opening menus during combat is disgusting.

But being able respec completely after every encounter is a bit too much, too. Some games can make it work, surely, but being able to just tweak your build after every fight is very common and seems fun. Committing to your build for a series of fights or a short run (30 m to 1 h) seems like a common sweet spot, as does committing for many hours but allowing major respecs for a high cost, and having a high floor for effectiveness (e.g. if your skill with the core mechanics is more important than your build)

I think this is why D3 got stale for me relatively quickly

• Options
    My gf who is changing jobs with a January 1st switchover date is getting advance-monthly-pay from the new place and after-the-fact-pay from the old place.

So she got two monthly salaries today.

I’ve gone over it in my head and I can’t see how this isn’t just free money. It will only be a hassle when she changes jobs again sometime in the future but that’s probably years away.

• Options

I love hacking

If you do it from across the street and nobody's looking at each other, it's really easy to just pop em like grapes.

oh, hmmm

I thought they aggroed.

I think I only tried it once and it didn't work so I've only ever knocked people unconscious by hand

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

I love hacking

It is hard to do that from miles away through walls even with like tech weapons.
    Contagion is absurd and can take out entire groups at once without breaking stealth or even needing to aim for the head or anything.

I actively enjoy the combat mechanics, so having a click to win sounds like a playstyle I'd just rather not do

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    cvmguce0cwl4.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The biggest issue with hacking is that you can't hack the cops so you can't use it to wipe out the cops.

• Options

I love hacking

oh, hmmm

I thought they aggroed.

I think I only tried it once and it didn't work so I've only ever knocked people unconscious by hand

If you're within range to hear the shot (I think it's within the radar, upper right corner) they aggro.

If you're on the roof across the street and they don't see it happen, you can sometimes just pick em off without a fuss

• Options
    If you can respec after every battle, but it's costly (or you're rewarded for sticking to a build), that can work. I think players are okay with paying some resources if they don't feel trapped by decisions they don't like.

What's also important to me is that choices not be marginal. I don't ever want a perk that's like +3% damage. That's one thing I'm not a big fan of in Hades, but that's okay because so many other options are like "your cast is a giant explosion or a laser" or "your gun shoots rockets now" or "your sword does vampire murders" and those are great.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The biggest issue with hacking is that you can't hack the cops so you can't use it to wipe out the cops.

The cops and MaxTac are there to prevent GTA style civilian mass slaughters, so it makes sense.

• Options

I love hacking

oh, hmmm

I thought they aggroed.

If you're within range to hear the shot (I think it's within the radar, upper right corner) they aggro.

If you're on the roof across the street and they don't see it happen, you can sometimes just pick em off without a fuss

One time I had a revolver with a silencer and thought that I could kill a guy next to another guy that was faced the other way. It did not work and he noticed.

I feel like I need to play around with how it works to get a better idea.

but now with my new hack, it is much easier.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    DRG works by making the respec possible through a terminal in what amounts to the game lobby.

I think UI design is too dependent on arbitrary windows. Make stuff like that fit in with the game world design.

The DRG 'respec' is basically changing your loadout for missions.

• Options
    No respec but eventually unlock everything anyway > no respec > respec allowed > D3 specifically

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    After every kill half your skill tree is greyed out and you have to respec

• Options
    Killing cops gets really easy eventuallg

• Options
    Deep Rock has you commit fully to your loadout for every run, and lets you unlock everything and pick combinations for each run. I dig that

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Deep Rock has you commit fully to your loadout for every run, and lets you unlock everything and pick combinations for each run. I dig that

Overclocks changing how the various weapon skills are valued is also really neat.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    If you can respec after every battle, but it's costly (or you're rewarded for sticking to a build), that can work. I think players are okay with paying some resources if they don't feel trapped by decisions they don't like.

What's also important to me is that choices not be marginal. I don't ever want a perk that's like +3% damage. That's one thing I'm not a big fan of in Hades, but that's okay because so many other options are like "your cast is a giant explosion or a laser" or "your gun shoots rockets now" or "your sword does vampire murders" and those are great.

I think PoE's skill tree is literally the best skill tree ever made, once you get your head around it.

Everything kind of works. All the stats exist in their third of the tree and each "inbetween" area has inbetweener stats. Like Int is associated with Lightning damage, Int/Dex is chaos and poison, Dex is poison, Dex/Str is bleed, Str is fire, Int/Str is cold. Sometimes these exist out of order, like cold damage for bows since bows are Dex, but there's always a reason.

So it all naturally flows on this tree that once you realize what they've done with it, and how it's all a really cohesive system, you can't help but feel all the other skill trees out there are lacking, even if they aren't an insane amount of skill nodes.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    oh shit page 99 hype

• Options

I love hacking

oh, hmmm

I thought they aggroed.

One time I had a revolver with a silencer and thought that I could kill a guy next to another guy that was faced the other way. It did not work and he noticed.

they notice bodies and will start looking for you, but you can stay hidden if you're behind cover or far enough away

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    geth summon the meteors

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    oh shit page 99 hype

*johnny (sic?) carson envelope to the head* Chanus to make the new thread, and Chanus for the backup.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    oh shit page 99 hype

*johnny (sic?) carson envelope to the head* Chanus to make the new thread, and Chanus for the backup.

whoever wants it can have it if i get it

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever respecced in a game

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Gorilla Arms are just plain ridiculous

I punched a guy so hard he backflipped and smashed a concrete divider

I might have to install a threat analysis mod or something so I don't end up fistfucking a non-lethal quest at some point

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever respecced in a game

i don't get no respec

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »

I love hacking

oh, hmmm

I thought they aggroed.

they notice bodies and will start looking for you, but you can stay hidden if you're behind cover or far enough away

no, but this guy noticed as soon as I headshot the other guy. Didn't give me a chance to sneak up at take him out

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i did half my christmas shopping on Steam this year because i can't be arsed to try and get physical goods transported.
    it was fun gifting a ton of games to people, it gave me some insight into how the steam thread leviathans must feel.

took me half an hour and i'm done and hahahahaha, fuck you Christmas, only one panic attack this year! a new record!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I actually really like D3 respeccing in its current state.

The basic idea of limited skills (6) + 1 modifier per skill (which enlarges the total space but keeps buttons manageable) + most Legendary items modify a skill works really well to encourage varied builds.
    Respeccing whenever is possible, outside of Greater Rifts, but in reality you don't do it that much unless an upgrade dropped that changes your build (or at high end meta, you take on a specific role, like amplifying another players damage in 4mans)

The downside is that the set builds are completely overpowering, only rivalled with very occasional LoN builds (which are generally for the most hardcore, you need extra rare legendaries to make it work). This shrinks the build space right back down to about 10 builds per class that are somewhat viable (Which in D3 is "within about a 10x factor of the best build") with usually 1-3 on top.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I respec in Starsector all the time using a mod.

This discussion has been closed.