Options

Let's Find Awesome Anime Films!

CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I used to think I was into Anime. I mean, I collected episodes of Naruto and Dragon Ball Z and the like. I collected a lot of them. I haven't watched much of it. It turns out that I was never into Anime as much as I thought I was.

My love for Anime TV series' was never strong. I've got an attention problem (Not medical, or anything) which just keeps me from watching a lot of anything like that.

However, I've always had a place in my heart for self-contained, awesome Anime movies. Which is where this recommendation thread comes in.

I don't want to hog all of the recommendations, but basically, I'll tell you what I'm looking for in a good Anime film.

1) It has to be beautiful. Case in point: Beyond The Clouds and Steamboy. The former had fantastic looking locations and scenes, and the latter had some of the best drawn Anime I think I've seen.

2) It has to be fun to watch. Case in point: Any of the Studio Ghibli films. I've only ever watched through 3 whole Studio Ghibli films (And they were all Miyazaki's stuff, not Takahata's), but they were all fun to watch. The animation was fantastic as well, of course.

I think those are my only requirements. It should limit it to more family/emotional Anime flicks and not all of the ones that have massive shoot outs with loads of blood and gore and the like. I don't really consider those fun as much as "awesome" (When they're done well).

I've seen quite a few of the more famous Anime films, but name whatever you want anyway. I'll likely have not seem some of them.

Centipeed on

• Options
    Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Anything by Satoshi Kon. That means Perfect Blue (total mindfuck, fairly violent), Millennium Actress (a look at a Japanese actress' life pursuing a childhood love; unbelievably beautiful, emotional and well-made), and Tokyo Godfathers (two homeless men and a girl find an abandoned baby at Christmas--very funny, a little rough around the edges, and extremely touching).

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Animatrix is really great. It doesn't exactly follow the rigorous classification of a "film", but... just watch it. Trust me.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Have you seen Akira?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's what I would recommend:

Grave of the Fireflies - Beautiful, touching story.
    Voices of a Distant Star - Short, kind of "artsy" anime film. It's a bit different from what you usually find in anime, but it deserves to be seen. I've only ever found it in a store coupled with "The Place Promised in our Early Days," another anime flick by the same guy. It's definitely worth a watch, albeit not quite as good and a bit longer than VOAD.

I'll be honest and say I don't know how much these two fit into your second requirements. I suppose it depends on your definition of "fun." Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are probably the three Ghibli films you've seen, but if any of them are not watch them. They definitely meet your requirements!

twmjr on
  • Options
    Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aoi Tsuki wrote: »
    Anything by Satoshi Kon. That means Perfect Blue (total mindfuck, fairly violent), Millennium Actress (a look at a Japanese actress' life pursuing a childhood love; unbelievably beautiful, emotional and well-made), and Tokyo Godfathers (two homeless men and a girl find an abandoned baby at Christmas--very funny, a little rough around the edges, and extremely touching).

Paprika.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've seen Animatrix and Akira. I'll check out Satoshi Kon's work. It sounds like just what I'm after, if a little more serious.

I think ideally I'm looking for films equivalent to Beyond The Clouds. It's kind of light and airy... In a good way.
    twmjr wrote: »
    Voices of a Distant Star - Short, kind of "artsy" anime film. It's a bit different from what you usually find in anime, but it deserves to be seen. I've only ever found it in a store coupled with "The Place Promised in our Early Days," another anime flick by the same guy. It's definitely worth a watch, albeit not quite as good and a bit longer than VOAD.

"The Place Promised In Our Early Days" is another name for Beyond The Clouds, so if the two films are anything alike, then this could be exactly what I'm looking for.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    I've seen Animatrix and Akira. I'll check out Satoshi Kon's work. It sounds like just what I'm after, if a little more serious.

I think ideally I'm looking for films equivalent to Beyond The Clouds. It's kind of light and airy... In a good way.

Hmmm, it didn't ring a bell, but looking at the wiki Beyond the Clouds seems to be The Place Promised In Our Early Days that I mentioned. In that case, definitely watch Voices of a Distant Star. You'll appreciate it.

twmjr on
  • Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you averse to all series, or just very long series? The examples of series that you collected but didn't watch, Naruto and Dragonball Z, are definitely the exception in terms of number of episodes. There are plenty of good series that have only 13 episodes (meaning less than 6 hours, usually): 'Kino no Tabi', 'Serial Experiments Lain', 'Paranoia Agent', 'Now and Then, Here and There', and probably others that I don't remember.

Clipse on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Robot Carnival and Metropolis are both rather awesome.

Edit: Macross was condensed into one movie if I recall, also Macross Plus. Though not exactly anime (it's Korean) I can't reccomend enough Aachi And Ssipak. It's not touching or emotional but it's a blast to watch. It's incredibly imaginative. The animation is incredible and the action is some of the best I've ever seen. Here's a rundown that doesn't even begin to describe it.
    "AACHI & SSIPAK. An animated film from director Joe Bum-jin about a futuristic world powered entirely by human feces. With the government anxious to control this sole, important source of energy, they install special sensors on its citizens' anuses to monitor production, while controlling the populace by distributing addictive popsicles. This quirky feature animation has already been pre-sold to multiple countries, and MTV has licensed rights to create an animated series on the same theme and characters. This film is now reportedly completed."

And a Trailer for great justice

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've wanted to watch Aachi & Ssipak since seeing the action scene on the steps. I'm guessing there isn't a release with English subtitles yet?

Centipeed on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmmm, does it have to be movies? I know some self-contained OAVs that are only 4 episodes or so.

Anyway, the Ah My Goddess movie was pretty self-contained and enjoyable and definitely easy on both eyes and ears.

Uh, I guess that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I've mainly collected more series and OAVs myself and the other stuff I have you already would be familiar with (Ghibli stuff, etc.) or are more action oriented.

Though I will second the recommendation for the movie adaptation of the original Macross, it managed to keep a lot of the relationship development intact while cutting out a lot of the stupid stuff in the original series (which I love tremendously but you could tell they were trying to make a 26 episode series into a longer one at times).

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, movies only. 2 hours is about right for me, but I've looked into some OAVs and they're still quite long for my tastes. I just give up watching them, you see.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Cowboy Bebob: Knocking on Heaven's Door. That's a fun, self contained movie, with great art, and like you asked, it's just really fun to watch. Plus if you like it, you can check out the series, which is great as well.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, movies only. 2 hours is about right for me, but I've looked into some OAVs and they're still quite long for my tastes. I just give up watching them, you see.

OAVs differ a lot in length. I have some that are 30 minute one shots, some that are a bit under 2 hours at 4 episodes, and some that are almost as long as some full series. There's really no standard length involved since there's nothing like a broadcasting schedule to adhere to.

Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop movie is definitely good, but it may not fit under your family/emotional goal. I don't recall it being overly bloody or anything, but there's not a whole lot of character development going on since it's set close to the end of the TV series. If you're actually planning on watching this stuff with family (I'm not entirely sure what the family part is supposed to mean), there's also that scene where a guy strips off some of Faye's clothing forcibly . . .

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited May 2007

OAVs differ a lot in length. I have some that are 30 minute one shots, some that are a bit under 2 hours at 4 episodes, and some that are almost as long as some full series. There's really no standard length involved since there's nothing like a broadcasting schedule to adhere to.

Anyway, the Cowboy Bebop movie is definitely good, but it may not fit under your family/emotional goal. I don't recall it being overly bloody or anything, but there's not a whole lot of character development going on since it's set close to the end of the TV series. If you're actually planning on watching this stuff with family (I'm not entirely sure what the family part is supposed to mean), there's also that scene where a guy strips off some of Faye's clothing forcibly . . .

It was less an indication that I'd be watching it with family and more to show that I wanted films like Spirited Away. That sort of film strikes me as a "family" Anime film.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dead Leaves has some great animation and is fun to watch, kind of short (lil over an hour long) but I loved it. Not really plot focused though, pretty much just action action action with some great animation thrown in.

klok on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dangerous wrote: »

Edit: Macross was condensed into one movie if I recall, also Macross Plus.

Not exactly there was a Macross Plus OVA that is a "sequel" to Macross. they condensed it into a Movie called macross Plus the Movie which is excellent and has a better ending, though it leaves out some of the great action sequences and makes the story a little harder to follow. I highly recommend it, one of my favorites. I'd also check out Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are great. I also agree with Perfect Blue though I didn't really like millenium actress.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if you wanted Ghibli or not, but if so, the holy trinity:

1. Princess Mononoke
    2. Whisper of the Heart
    3. Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind

Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky are also really good.

Shoot, you really can't go wrong with any of his movies, but they're my favorites. I had a feeling I'd like Whisper of the Heart, and I loved it. Very down-to-earth.

And, The Place Promised In Our Early Days felt depressing.

Then again, so did Voices Of A Distant Star.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also maybe you will like Mind Game.

klok on
  • Options
    BabsBabs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No one menetioned Perfect Blue yet ? shocking.

also, Wonderful days.

Ghost in the shell 1&2.

uhm... this is not anime (animated tho) but maybe try to watch Les Triplettes de Belleville. awesome stuff.

Babs on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Babs wrote: »
    No one menetioned Perfect Blue yet ? shocking.

It's been mentioned. It was in the second post, even.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Uhh....see a gundam trillogy. Either the original Mobile Suit Gundam movies, or the newer Zeta movies. Or both, since the Zeta films are a direct sequel to the original series.

Edit: Also, Samurai X isn't technically a film, but it's only 6 episodes or so (and I think the director's cuts of the two arcs are edited into seperate films), and it's incredible.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Have you checked out Makoto Shinkai's other works? If not, check out She and Her Cat and Hoshi No Koe.

lunasea on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mishra wrote: »

Not exactly there was a Macross Plus OVA that is a "sequel" to Macross. they condensed it into a Movie called macross Plus the Movie which is excellent and has a better ending, though it leaves out some of the great action sequences and makes the story a little harder to follow. I highly recommend it, one of my favorites. I'd also check out Miyazaki, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away are great. I also agree with Perfect Blue though I didn't really like millenium actress.

No, the original Macross was condensed into a movie as well, but due to licensing issues it hasn't been available in the US since the early 90s, and probably won't for a long, long time.

It was called "Macross: Do You Remember Love?"

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Edit: Also, Samurai X isn't technically a film, but it's only 6 episodes or so (and I think the director's cuts of the two arcs are edited into seperate films), and it's incredible.

The Rurouni Kenshin OAV was 4 episodes long actually. It is a beautifully done and self-contained prequel to the Kenshin TV series. Whereas the TV series used the shonen formula of mixing comedy and action, the OAV was a serious and switched between periods of idyllic peacefulness and action. It is important to not mix this up with the Kenshin movies which also had to be licensed under the Samurai X title in the states, which take places after the TV series and are not self-contained.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Mishra wrote: »

No, the original Macross was condensed into a movie as well, but due to licensing issues it hasn't been available in the US since the early 90s, and probably won't for a long, long time.

It was called "Macross: Do You Remember Love?"

Oops you're right I misread the original as stating macross plus was the same as do you remeber love. A college anime club would probably have a copy though.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't think anyone's mentioned The Wings of Honneamise yet. That's a fantastic movie.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I don't know if you wanted Ghibli or not, but if so, the holy trinity:

1. Princess Mononoke
    2. Whisper of the Heart
    3. Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind

Porco Rosso and Castle in the Sky are also really good.

Shoot, you really can't go wrong with any of his movies, but they're my favorites. I had a feeling I'd like Whisper of the Heart, and I loved it. Very down-to-earth.

Not to mention my personal favourite Miyazaki film, My Neighbour Totoro.

Is Whisper Of The Heart the prequel to The Cat Returns?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png