As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am not good at being a girl [Prom On]

Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLYT O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my boyfriend is taking me to his senior prom. Lovely. We're renting a limo with a group of friends, the forms are in, tickets are bought...

But I have no idea what to bring on my person the night of the prom.

How do corsages work? You just wear 'em on your wrist? Order 'em from any flower shop? What colours go well with blue? Would yellow be too exuberant?

Should I bring any money? A tip for the limo driver? Taxi fare? Emergency money? Alcohol fee if anyone is nineteen and invites us to their house or something?

What makeup should I buy? I'm pretty pale, dark hair, fair features. I have really clear skin, so I guess I'm looking for makeup that looks good but not clumpy and gross for eyes and lips. Maybe cheeks. I don't know. What should I wear?

I'm buying the dress. Do you wear a bra with the dress? I'm assuming you do, but hell if I know. Will I be able to find heels in my shoe size? (10 or 11 depending)

I need desperate help D:

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on

• Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well i cant help you with the makeup or hair stuff, but i would strongly suggest you bring some money with you. You never know whats going to happen and its not going to hurt anything to have it on you just in case.

Grimm on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    You boyfriend should take care of everything dealing with money.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MildQuixoticMildQuixotic ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    You boyfriend should take care of everything dealing with money.

I don't know entirely about this one, I wouldn't say you should neccesarily buy the prom tickets

MildQuixotic on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For some reason, girls still seem to bring a tiny little purse that matches their dress. I'm pretty sure it's for makeup, but I don't know if there's money in them. So bring a tiny (emphasis on tiny, like no strap) purse, put whatever makeup and under $20 with you for whatever, probably alcohol, just in case. Your boyfriend should pay for literally ALL your expenses, though, but who knows.

Corsages go on your wrist, you wear it, and you like it. Also, get a boutonniere for him. It's a corsage for dudes, goes on the breast pocket. And wear a bra with the dress, but it's probly going to be strapless for the dress. Just guessing on that one.

This is from a man's perspective, and an American who went to a small, better off high school, so take it as you will, since maybe Canadian public school is like a parallel universe.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    BigminhBigminh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here is how things go down in Americo

You buy your date's (the boy) corsage. (Assuming he is matching you, you can explain what colors are being worn to the florist and they will know what will look good)

Your date (the boy) will buy your corsage (you being the girl).

Typically (this based on my own experience) girls will bring a small clutch to hold their ticket, school ID, smodnoc, etc...

A nice department store or boutique should be able to hook you up with the whole set up (dress, shoes, the special bras that have no straps (either wrap around, or basically just suction on serving to maintain booby shape))

Aforementioned department store will have a makeup section and wise makeupers (either gay guys or well manicured women)

If you want your hair up, I suggest making a hair appointment for the day of prom (morning of course, many hairdressers will do this specifically for prom even though it is often on the weekend). A nail appointment (if you want your nails done) should be made asap a few days before prom.

If your school has an anal policy about dancing in no shoes, then remember to bring flip-flops. Dancing all-night in heels will probably make you want to die.

Bigminh on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    I got a yellow corsage, But I had a black cocktail dress with champagne color flowers, and he had off white pin stripes. You should be able to go to a flower shop and tell them what you need, pick it up on prom day and keep it in the fridge till you go out.

There are lots of ways to deal the bra, some dresses have their own cups, I wore a strapless with mine. If your not into froofy prom dresses and you want something nice, I'd suggest looking for a nice dress outside of the "prom" dedicated sections. I wanted something I could wear again though, my date and I were going for "classy" I dropped 200 dollars on my dress :lol: It was worth it for me.

And take a little money with you, if for no other reason for emergency. I went to prom with a friend, so it was different for us, but still having buffer cash isn't bad, just stick it in your purse. I payed for my ticket and tip for dinner.

On the make up, I just went to MAC and had them match a little foundation for me and a tiny bit of eye make up, I don't like heavy make up and I didn't wear a lot. Usually they'll apply some for you at those stands in the mall, if you want to try things out.

Iruka on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can get corsages at any flower store, and the person there will usually help you figure out colors and all that.

I didn't bring any money or pretty much anything with me to my prom, but it seems like a good idea. Tuxes have pockets, you can ask your boyfriend if he's willing to hold on to any money if you want to bring it and don't want to keep track of a tiny purse.

As far as makeup, I don't really know. I've never been a big makeup person myself. Usually if I want to look a little nicer than usual I curl my eyelashes (eyelash curlers look scary, but they're really not) and slap on some lip-stuff. It seems like you want something a little more elaborate, so maybe ask some of those people at the mall who work at makeup counters what they would suggest and what colors would work best on you.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    BigminhBigminh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah,

If unsure about what kind of dress to get. Black dresses of any kind always work. Everything and its mother matches black.

Emergency money is really important. Shit can go down.

Expanding on what Iruka said about paying for stuff, be sure that you and the BF are clear on just what things each of you is paying for before the event. No one likes fighting over money.

except for me

Bigminh on
  • Options
    Wandering StarWandering Star Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's funny that I've decided to post in reply to this, as I am far from being the girliest girl you'll ever meet. But maybe that makes my advice more practical, who knows.

I'll try to address your concerns one by one. As for the corsages, you can definitely just pick them up at any flower shop. But call soon, because they do tend to get swamped around prom time. I would suggest white to go along with blue, but yellow would be fine as well if you really like that color. They can also usually dye the flowers fancy unnatural colors, like silver, or blue to go along with the dress. It's up to you. I'm sure there is probably someone working at the flower shop who would be really excited to offer suggestions as to exactly which flowers you should use. And yeah, wrist corsages seem to be the most popular these days. Sometimes they make them too big but you can always take some flowers out.

Money. Yeah, you might as well bring a little money- it really sucks to be entirely without. Just make sure your friends bring some money too, cause it would be really unfair if you got stuck with paying the limo tip AND buying alcohol AND late night snacks or whatever afterward just because you're the only one with cash. Don't bring so much that you'd be devastated if you lost it though. And you might want to let your boyfriend hang onto the money, NOT because of sexist notions that "the man should be the one to pay", (although in this case that does have some validity since it's his prom), but because he'll presumably have a wallet in his pocket, while you'll have no place to put your money if you don't want it to be too easily stolen.

Since it seems like you're not that comfortable wearing makeup, I would suggest not going overboard, so that you don't look too different from your normal self. My personal favorite makeup look is somewhat dramatic eyes and neutral lips. You might want to do the opposite. You should probably wear eyeliner (pencil is less intense than liquid)- maybe in a charcoal gray or dark brown depending on the color of your eyes, with maybe a pretty shimmery eyeshadow (nothing too bright, I'd go with something silver-ish), and maybe just a sheer lipstick or lip gloss. You can wear blush if you want but I think it looks pretty fake on fair people. I have no suggestions on which blush to use, as I never wear any. Curl your eyelashes if you want to buy one of those frightening contraptions, and use a little black mascara. Take some powder with you to cut down on shine in pictures, but it doesn't sound like you need foundation. This site has a crazy amount of makeup reviews. Don't buy anything expensive, it's probably not worth it.

Whether or not you wear a bra is entirely dependent on the style and fabric of the dress, how busty you are, and how comfortable you feel going without. It's pretty easy to find a good strapless bra though, which should work with most kinds of styles, but they also make strapless-backless bras too if your dress is that revealing. Look for a bra with removable or interchangeable straps because then you can get the most general use out of it.

You should be able to find shoes with no problem, but they don't always make the prettiest styles in larger sizes. Look in clearance racks and discount stores- they often have a surplus of shoes in larger sizes that are sold out in smaller ones. Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps.

Wandering Star on
    We can't play math rock in 4/4, dude.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've purchased my share of the limo money and my prom ticket. We've taken care of our own prom needs. I don't think it's fair to ask him to pay for stuff like my ticket, and I'd rather take care of it myself.

The dress must be blue. My boyfriend has a tuxedo with blue accents, and we've decided to match. I have no idea where to get my dress. I've written down a ton of stores in Yorkdale, I'm going there on Thursday with my mother.

Should I ask specifically if they have a cupped dress, or a bra-help-line? I am seriously lost - I won't get all this at one store, will I? Do I have to trek around to three different stores?

There's an ordinary flower shop across the street. Can I get my male-corsage for him there?

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

Since it seems like you're not that comfortable wearing makeup, I would suggest not going overboard, so that you don't look too different from your normal self. My personal favorite makeup look is somewhat dramatic eyes and neutral lips. You might want to do the opposite. You should probably wear eyeliner (pencil is less intense than liquid)- maybe in a charcoal gray or dark brown depending on the color of your eyes, with maybe a pretty shimmery eyeshadow (nothing too bright, I'd go with something silver-ish), and maybe just a sheer lipstick or lip gloss. You can wear blush if you want but I think it looks pretty fake on fair people. I have no suggestions on which blush to use, as I never wear any. Curl your eyelashes if you want to buy one of those frightening contraptions, and use a little black mascara. Take some powder with you to cut down on shine in pictures, but it doesn't sound like you need foundation. This site has a crazy amount of makeup reviews. Don't buy anything expensive, it's probably not worth it.

Whether or not you wear a bra is entirely dependent on the style and fabric of the dress, how busty you are, and how comfortable you feel going without. It's pretty easy to find a good strapless bra though, which should work with most kinds of styles, but they also make strapless-backless bras too if your dress is that revealing. Look for a bra with removable or interchangeable straps because then you can get the most general use out of it.

Oh my gosh thank you, this post helps a ton.

Are strapless bras expensive? My mother is buying all this for me, and I feel bad for asking her to drop so much money at one time for one night. Your makeup advice sounds perfect.

The situation is complicated by the fact that I have to be ready by five and I have no idea when I will be at The Boy's house. It's a hour and a half by transit, and I don't think I'm getting a ride. I may end up getting there by 2:30, and I don't have the foggiest idea how long it'll take to get ready.

I have no idea what I want to do with my hair. I've been told my hair looks very good when it's curled, but my boyfriend has dark curly hair and pale skin. I don't want to look like his sibling! I don't know if I'll have time or the cash to book an appointment. I guess I should check in tomorrow and ask how long it would take, questions like that, as there are two or three salons in walking distance from my house.

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FYI Cass, strapless bras can be pretty expensive. Especially if you want a comfortable one.

This is what my g/f has told me.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Depending on how you're built, you may or may not need a bra. If you're A to C, you may be able to get away with a dress that has its own support. If you're any bigger than that or uncomfortable without one, make sure you get a dress that allows you to wear one. Personally, I don't find that strapless bras give a lot of support. They are better than nothing though.

As for your hair, the way you will want to wear is dependent on the dress you get. To see what I mean, just try leaving your hair down when trying on the dress and then pulling it back into a pony tail. I'm not saying you should do a pony tail to the prom, but it will give you an idea of what will look good. If you don't have time to go to a hairdresser, don't sweat it. Simple styles often look the best anyway.

Something else to think about is jewelry. Again, buy this after you get the dress and know how you're going to wear your hair. Usually you want earrings and maybe a necklace depending on the dress. If you don't want to spend a lot, you can find some nice looking costume jewelry at any department store or store that gets jewelry from department stores (Ross, Marshall's, TJ Max, whatever you have there.).

Other key items include nylons (if it will be cold) and comfortable shoes. Have fun!

witch_ie on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Whether or not you'll need a bra depends entirely on the style of the dress and your cup size.

I'm a B cup and can get away with most dresses without a bra.

Medopine on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    gundam470 wrote: »
    FYI Cass, strapless bras can be pretty expensive. Especially if you want a comfortable one.

yeah, the cheaper ones fucking suck, and often give you a very odd shape. I'm half-inclined to just suggest finding a basic corset as they hold up better, but of course they aren't cheap either.

As for hair, you could try curling it and then pinning it back in sections. If its too heavy it may not hold where you put it, but its worth a try. And you should make your bf get a haircut, that photo he posted was horrifying :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

yeah, the cheaper ones fucking suck, and often give you a very odd shape. I'm half-inclined to just suggest finding a basic corset as they hold up better, but of course they aren't cheap either.

As for hair, you could try curling it and then pinning it back in sections. If its too heavy it may not hold where you put it, but its worth a try. And you should make your bf get a haircut, that photo he posted was horrifying :P

His hair is beautiful, I'll have none of your lies

Right now my hair is awkward, as I have bangs down to my jaw and then just long hair, uniform length, down to my shoulderblades. I might just braid it and let my bangs hang loose, or pin the backhair up into a bun. My bangs are too short to tie back, though.

Is it possible to just have someone else tie your hair up in a fancy way without having to go to a salon? Like, could I just give my mom some pins and the result would look fine? Money is tight recently, since we just moved, and I don't want to be a hassle.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

wait, there are pictures?

where? this actually might help the thread.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Right now my hair is awkward, as I have bangs down to my jaw and then just long hair, uniform length, down to my shoulderblades. I might just braid it and let my bangs hang loose, or pin the backhair up into a bun. My bangs are too short to tie back, though.

Is it possible to just have someone else tie your hair up in a fancy way without having to go to a salon? Like, could I just give my mom some pins and the result would look fine? Money is tight recently, since we just moved, and I don't want to be a hassle.

I've seen it done both with and without a salon. Sometimes girls will get together an ungodly number of hours before prom and fiddle with each other's hair. This kind of depends on if you have any friends or friends' mothers who happen to know a thing or two about dressing hair (their own or others').

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    TheLong wrote: »

I've seen it done both with and without a salon. Sometimes girls will get together an ungodly number of hours before prom and fiddle with each other's hair. This kind of depends on if you have any friends or friends' mothers who happen to know a thing or two about dressing hair (their own or others').
    Yeah, that's how mine got done. Girly pals :P you can hire people, but its my impression that they're often very much more-is-more and you can wind up looking like the extras from Little Miss Sunshine if you don't know enough to keep a check on them.

gotta say though, if this is your senior prom, you should be entitled to get a little fuss made over you.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Never go into a situation involving pressure and fashion without at least enough cash for a cab-ride home.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sarcastro wrote: »
    Never go into a situation involving pressure and fashion without at least enough cash for a cab-ride home.

That's what the tiny purse is for. Cash, lipstick, condoms, hold-out pistol...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    This is what I looked like when I curled my hair:

n1643580070_4791_5618.jpg

I think I look nice! I am not sure if this a prom-worthy hair style, is all. I've gotten tons of compliments on it, though.

• Options
    edited May 2007
    :^: all it needs is a few pins to keep it out of your face and maybe a bottle of stuff to make it go all supersmooth and shiny.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Chowbaby9Chowbaby9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your hair curled up would be fine for prom. If you wanted to do something special but easy, you can try pining back some of your hair with bobby pins. Stores like Claire's usually have cheap cute ones with rhinestones on them this time of year. They also have a good selection of necklaces that are pretty cheap. I'd recommend getting a necklace. Sometimes you will find the right dress, but it will still feel like something is missing...its usually accessories.

As for make-up you might want to try a light blue eye shadow. It will bring out both the color of your eyes and match the color of your dress, but don't go overboard. The biggest mistake girls make in high school is too much eye shadow or eyeliner.

Definitely bring some money with though, especially if you plan on going out to dinner before prom. My date for prom planned on paying for dinner and everything, but his credit card had an error at the restaurant, luckily I had emergency money with me.

Another good idea for the boutonnière and corsage is to get them from the same shop. They will be sure to match each other and you can usually get better prices.

Most importantly once you get to the dance forget about everything else and have fun!

Chowbaby9 on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    when I played high school the fellas definately did not have corsages nor did they want one.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    azuriceazurice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    :^: all it needs is a few pins to keep it out of your face and maybe a bottle of stuff to make it go all supersmooth and shiny.

I agree with trying out some nice hairpins and accessories. Er, avoid glitter at all costs. I don't know why, but at my prom-thingie, half the girls there were covered in glitter and it was hideous. :P But that's just me.

Haha, I'm not good at being a girl either. I'm so bad at it that I didn't know when my Formal started until, er, 6 hours before it began. Try to avoid doing anything like this this. :lol:

azurice on
  • Options
    Cowboy-BebopCowboy-Bebop Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The male equivalent of a corsage is called boutonniere, ask your local flourist

Cowboy-Bebop on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Also, make sure to pronounce it, "boot-n-eer," cause that spelling could be confusing if you've never heard of one. It's just one little rose(I guess it can be other flowers as well?) that clips on to their lapel.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Also, make sure to pronounce it, "boot-n-eer," cause that spelling could be confusing if you've never heard of one. It's just one little rose(I guess it can be other flowers as well?) that clips on to their lapel.

It should be what ever flower composes the prime color of the corsage, and the backing should be the same fill, i.e babybreath or what have you. It is essentially a scaled down version of the same thing. Many florists actually include one with thier corsage package when you pick them up - but not all of them, so check it out first.

Also, if your guy likes to have all his buttons in a row, let him know up front what your main colors are going to be. It's generally a bit garish to have the same full on color for a cummerbund and vest, but some light matched threading goes very well, and will highlight your own colors when together. In general terms, a man styles himself independantly (within the guidelines of a theme of course), but chooses his colors to go with his date.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    no blue eyeshadow! its wasn't even a good idea in the 80's! you'll look like that woman from the drew carey show!

...well ok, you can use a very very small amount of a really dark blue as an accent, but don't go overboard.

Here's one method for eyeshadow: Start with blending a relatively neutral shade across the entire eye area - something only slightly darker than your skin, maybe with a little shine in it. Make sure there's no obvious line around your eyesocket, it should fade away to nothing just as it hits your eyebrow. Then get a darker shade in whatever colour you're going for and blend that across the lid area only. Don't make it too heavy, and use slightly less on the inner part. Lastly, use a bolder/darker accent colour in a very small amount just on the outer corner of your eye. Last bit's optional. So's eyeliner, but I tend to put it on first, and blend it into the lid colour so there isn't a big heavy line across my eyelid.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm completely serious when I say this:

Bring a condom, just in case. Proms tend to be the place where lots and lots of sex goes down, and if you and your boyfriend haven't had sex yet-chances are he just might try on this very special night.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    I'm completely serious when I say this:

Bring a condom, just in case. Proms tend to be the place where lots and lots of sex goes down, and if you and your boyfriend haven't had sex yet-chances are he just might try on this very special night.

Yeah uh that's not too much of a concern, so we'll be sure to pack what we need. As far as I know, there's no after party but we'll pack a couple just in case. Better safe than pregnant, I suppose.

I got my shoes and dress today. They are both lovely. I'll see about making an appointment at a hair salon. The boy will check up on the flowers we need because a store is offering a 10% discount to students of his school.

I'll see if I can get some sort of make up appointment made, but most likely I will just buy what I need and get it done after I put the dress on. The dress pulls on over the head, so I'm terrified it'll muss my hair and make up badly.

Picking up a strapless bra tomorrow, so that's good.

Oh! How do you get clear, stubbleless armpits? Nair?

• Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    You don't really need makeup Cass.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    You don't really need makeup Cass.

I'm not using any foundation. Probably just a tiny bit of lipgloss because they get dry, and eye stuff.

• Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, if you have a blue dress, try and bring out the blue in your eyes. Regardless of what people will say here, popping eye colors (like iridescent colors) are huge right now (no, I'm not gay!) and the whole, swept back from your eyes is really nice.

You should go nude gloss on your lips, and your skin is clear so, again, you don't need foundation/concealer/ etc.

Don't forget, some shimmer on your arms/shoulders is a plus.

Benefit makes great makeup, and the high-end brands (Chanel comes to mind) have GREAT eyeshadows (iridescent blue would be kick ass)

Get your hair and nailes and feed "did" (PA FTMFW) the same day, have a clutch that matches (carry cash, cell, condom, additonal parfum, and kleenx)

Have fun!

powerss on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh, and again, depending on your cup size you may/may not need an invisible bra. At VicSecret, they have these stick-on bras that you use once, for $50, but they work.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm a D Cup, so I don't think I'll be able to get away with a lot of things.

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Ah. Leave it to the experts at vicsec then, they'll hook you up.

powerss on
  • Options
    -Spitfire--Spitfire- Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm a D Cup, so I don't think I'll be able to get away with a lot of things.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this but.. depending on the dress type, a corset can work well too. I have a slim-ish build but am fairly um... enboobened, so the strapless bras don't really work for me. I wore a corset under my wedding dress when I was married, and it did the trick just fine. Not too tight, but it does give support and help maintain posture.

Sounds like the rest of the advice is proceeding apace, so I don't really have much more to offer! Good luck! :)

-Spitfire- on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    heehee, "emboobened"

shit, i'm using that from now on.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00