As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Flash Photography

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Flash Photography

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I liked Batman 1989 and the Nicholson Joker. There, I said it.

Also, I just had to say something since I couldn't believe a comic with Batman in it made it all day with no comments. I suppose the world does have other distractions today though...

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Pretty sure everyone likes Nicholson Joker. He's a good Joker.

Quid wrote: »

What if I told you I liked him better than all the other live action Jokers? Would that be enough to make it a more radical viewpoint? :)

-Tycho Brahe
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

What if I told you I liked him better than all the other live action Jokers? Would that be enough to make it a more radical viewpoint? :)

Nah that's totally fair. Ledger is my personal favorite but Nicholson does a phenomenal job with his own version.

• v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I believe this is pretty much what happened on the set of Man of Steel 2. Which is how we ended up with Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice instead.

v2micca on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Batman 1989 was a damn good movie.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I thought this was going to be about the end of Flash Player

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    First, you can like all the Jokers, but still have a favorite. There's nothing wrong with that. Both Nicholson and Ledger did amazing jobs with the character, especially within the context of their respective movies.

Second, do you think when people are making another DC Superhero movie, everyone on set is like, "Hoooboy! This is going to be the one that doesn't suck! I can just feel it."?

It's like watching Charlie Brown, and hoping that this is the one time Lucy doesn't pull out the football.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    In the Justice League movie, I thought Flash was the least compelling of the characters. Not because I dislike the Flash - I actually really like the character - but because either through bad scripting, bad editing, or maybe even bad choice of actor, he just did not strike me as a good representation of the character. I loved Ezra Miller in the Fantastic Beasts movies as Credence. But I'm not sure he's the right guy for the job to be the leading man in a superhero movie. I'm not sure he's got enough charisma for the part. Or maybe it was just a bad movie because Zack Snyder sucks.

• BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    ironzerg wrote: »
    do you think when people are making another DC Superhero movie, everyone on set is like, "Hoooboy! This is going to be the one that doesn't suck! I can just feel it."?

I think they're just glad to be working. The number of people in the studio who are fans of these characters or their canon are probably in the extreme minority, because these are adaptations made to turn a profit, not the vision of someone who is actually excited to be there. Producers told them to make the movies, and so they will.
    The fact that the Marvel movies have been consistently been good makes me think there's a tangible difference in each process. I'm not a filmmaker, but there is a pattern on both sides of this division. There's something important missing in DC's film pipeline.

Bropocalypse on
  • KredKred Registered User regular
    There's something important missing in DC's film pipeline.

Kevin Feige.

It took a bunch of solid movies for the MCU to come together. Even then it's kind of amazing they made it work.

DC tried to rush it. They needed origin movies for all the characters before JL. And they needed a good script for JL. Losing the director halfway through didn't help either.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kred wrote: »

Kevin Feige.

It took a bunch of solid movies for the MCU to come together. Even then it's kind of amazing they made it work.

DC tried to rush it. They needed origin movies for all the characters before JL. And they needed a good script for JL. Losing the director halfway through didn't help either.

I'd say Jon Favereau too. Like the first Ironman movie was so good, because it understood how to do an ironman movie. And we're seeing with the Mandalorian Jon knows how to build a universe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited January 2021

This is how I've felt about it too. DC is trying to do what Marvel is doing, but I think they're aware that the superhero movie thing has been going for a long time now and there's no telling when the moviegoing public might finally decide they aren't interested anymore. So DC is trying to speed it up a bit by moving on to the ensemble movies without enough world building at the base. Marvel had two Iron Man movies, a Hulk movie, a Thor movie, and a Captain America movie before we ever got the Avengers. Nowadays it seems that most MCU movies have more overlap with various characters showing up in other character's movies, but the MCU has totally earned that at this point.

The only real drawback I could see is that if someone who hasn't been trying to keep up with the MCU tried to jump in with the most recent movies, they are going to be a bit lost. But that's nothing that a little free time and a month on Disney+ couldn't solve. At this point, I don't have a problem with Marvel assuming that we are up-to-speed with all things MCU when they make their movies.

Maybe DC is deliberately doing less movies with the thought that less is more, but my personal opinion is that their movies haven't been good enough to claim victory with that approach. They could also be assuming that they don't need as much origin movie work because their main characters are more well-known. I can't argue that. If we go back to before the MCU and the DCEU, I feel more people outside of comic book readers would know Batman and Superman than would know Captain America and Iron Man. (For one thing, Supes and Bats already had some popular movies prior to the current superhero boom.)

MarcinMN on

-Tycho Brahe
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Kevin Feige.

I'd say Jon Favereau too. Like the first Ironman movie was so good, because it understood how to do an ironman movie. And we're seeing with the Mandalorian Jon knows how to build a universe.

Yeah pretty sure you can lay the slapdash Thanos "build up" and the eventual payoff at Feige's feet. Also Favreau stepping away from directing after being forced to cram the Avengers setup into Iron Man 2. And Whedon leaving after cramming the entire Phase 3 setup into Avengers 2.

Kevin Feige has been able to deliver a billion dollar box office franchise successfully which is unprecedented and amazing, but I feel there have been some pretty major fumbles made when building onto the structure of the MCU

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    !!!!YAS!!!!

• BillieVeeBillieVee Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    The only real drawback I could see is that if someone who hasn't been trying to keep up with the MCU tried to jump in with the most recent movies, they are going to be a bit lost. But that's nothing that a little free time and a month on Disney+ couldn't solve. At this point, I don't have a problem with Marvel assuming that we are up-to-speed with all things MCU when they make their movies.

It sounds like the new Legends series on Disney+ is going to make it even easier for new viewers.

BillieVee on