As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] pictures only

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Did Nolan intentionally rig the sound mixing so that it sounds awful on home stereo equipment as a way of forcing people to see this in theaters?

I'm listening to this on a not-inexpensive set of Bose headphones and it goes from bad to worse, and the top comment reflects that too

It's exactly as bad in the theater

Nolan is a complete idiot wrt audio mixing

Like, he has dyslexia of the ear or something. I've read and watch interviews. He literally can't tell there's anything wrong.

I don't remember his earlier movies sounding like shit. Is this a case of having enough power to find his own level of incompetence or what?

Inception sounded fine as far as I can remember, booming Zimmer soundtrack and WHARRRRGGHHHHHHHHs included

Mememto is entirely unremarkable

The Bane voice getting remixed is the first thing afaik

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Guest booked through 3rd party we ran his credit card ahead of time it came back invalid, our backend required us to allow them 2 hours before we can cancel it for the guest to fix the problem. He clearly doesn't see this message and shows up before the two hour window is closed so I just play ignorant and run the card as normal just to let him see it decline personally. He puts up a little fuss and tries to blame the person before me but leaves and 5 mins later calls me from his car in the parking lot.

How can you say my credit card is invalid.
    -You came into the hotel put your card in the terminal and personally seen it say declined

how is there any wiggle room on that you stupid motherfucker?

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    So I've only played about twenty minutes of the Switch demo for this but holy moly.

https://youtu.be/cJMPg7wpOBg

It's basically Dead Cells but it plays like butter. There are tons of little touches that make it feel just superb.

It's really worth checking out if you're into this sort of game.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    What kind of butter? Dead Cells was pretty smooth.

Edit: weird I've had this wishlisted since October

Sarksus on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    maybe like a garlic butter

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Did Nolan intentionally rig the sound mixing so that it sounds awful on home stereo equipment as a way of forcing people to see this in theaters?

I'm listening to this on a not-inexpensive set of Bose headphones and it goes from bad to worse, and the top comment reflects that too

It's exactly as bad in the theater

Nolan is a complete idiot wrt audio mixing

Like, he has dyslexia of the ear or something. I've read and watch interviews. He literally can't tell there's anything wrong.

I don't remember his earlier movies sounding like shit. Is this a case of having enough power to find his own level of incompetence or what?

It seems that way, yes

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    maybe like a garlic butter

Or Shea butter.

• Options
    So this social lifestyle quiz game thing I'm cobbling ideas together for comes with the caveat that I don't want to do energy systems, but I still want to have a reasonable soft limit on daily content to slow down content consumption enough so it's not just rushed through, so I need some sort of thing to keep insomniacs happy if they just kind of want to bury themselves in the game for longer than I support.

Since I'm already aiming to include dating sim-like conversations, but without the dating aspect, maybe I could create some sort of endless conversation generator that's in-game literally the player character casually texting or talking with an NPC over the phone like friends do sometimes. It would kind of be an interesting experiment on its own.

• Options
    I'm sure you guys already chewed on this, but I'm just now reading the Bloomberg report on CP2077's development

Jesus what a shitshow. This happens, like, every year with some major title.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Indeed. I can't think of anything that matches how smooth and responsive Dead Cells was. It puts other platformers to shame

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I think in this new game I'm leaning toward it being a somewhat idealized version of the real world and also a handful of the population is animal people without any explanation.

The player character is an animal person and sometimes they might have a coffee date with a human and sometimes they might be meeting a sabertooth tiger at the library.
    Bojack Horseman, the game

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I think in this new game I'm leaning toward it being a somewhat idealized version of the real world and also a handful of the population is animal people without any explanation.

The player character is an animal person and sometimes they might have a coffee date with a human and sometimes they might be meeting a sabertooth tiger at the library.
    Bojack Horseman, the game

Yes, but less traumatic. Something that lets people remember that adulthood also includes fun parts for normal people.

--

Edit: Ooh. I could give NPCs a monthly schedule with various outcomes, like "Yoga was good/bad this week." and then they come up with random topic changes based on interests so conversations don't repeat.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I'm sure you guys already chewed on this, but I'm just now reading the Bloomberg report on CP2077's development

Jesus what a shitshow. This happens, like, every year with some major title.

Cp77 seems way worse then normal

Wanna see worse the Director/Studio head responded to that with a bunch of crap.

The bloomberg article mentioned how the initial demo was all bullshit and its nuts to see that but its true. This video (yeah its long) really explains the issues with the game and jesus its nothing that people were sold on aside from the aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CymqHdNYkg

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Just want to point in a separate post but I love how even 2 years ago project staff were like this is a 2022 game.

Everything from that first demo is 90% unlikely to ever make it in and I truly FEEL for anyone working in the trenches of CDPR.

Like the random vehicle encounters alone seem that they would need multiple complete system overhauls cause first of all the game has literally ZERO vehicle path finding.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    INAL but it really seems like this debacle could bury CDPR. I don't know what kind of war chest they have from the Witcher stuff but I can't imagine it'll hold against the losses and suits they're facing.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    And yet it was a truly enjoyable game (on PC)

I can imagine following the hype cycle made it a bad experience for some people as they had expectations that were not met, but playing just as a game it was really very good.

(also yes sounds like the developer environment was bad but I imagine every single product I consume/use/engage with in any way was generated under poor working conditions, so it doesn't feel exceptional for this)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    I'm not playing it any time soon, but isn't it just Cyberpunk Shooter Witcher? That's all I expected from it.

• Options
    INAL but it really seems like this debacle could bury CDPR. I don't know what kind of war chest they have from the Witcher stuff but I can't imagine it'll hold against the losses and suits they're facing.

I really think anyone who invested after that 2018 demo has an incredibly strong case

Like even with the "anything in this demo can change" that was said throughout the demo video how do you legally excuse NOTHING "unique" from that demo feature wise made it in.

Like the vehicle encounter example I used is a perfect example with what's in the game now there was no deadlines excuse cause what is in there is barely functional as is you were never going to have time to put the multiple systems in that would requite that one feature alone to work.

Fun fact in that video I did post he shows off that all three vehicle combat sections in the game are so prescripted you can never shoot and it just finishes as normal cause the cars blow up automatically at pre determined points cause there is no feature set in the game for a vehicular combat sequence

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

Okay think of, like, Hollow Knight, right.

Now add a double jump. And wall climb. And a directional dash attack. And attacks that give you momentum in the direction you're doing them. And lots of ways to refresh all these.

I've still barely played it but you pretty much never touch the floor, it's almost like you're playing something like Geometry Wars instead of a game where gravity exists.

It feels very, very cool.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Losses? Suits? This game didn't sell 200K copies like Daikatana did, Cyberpunk has sold 13 million copies in the first week. Is that not enough?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Now add a double jump. And wall climb. And a directional dash attack.

this game sounds fun but also hollow knight has all of those

• Options
    Bleh. It's frustrating when the only non-family person you're close enough to have phone chats with is a nurse during this stupid plague.

Not only are they often grumpy with very good and valid reason but I can't even pout about them not calling more because they are dealing with hardcore serious shit on a daily basis and that would be a bullshit move on my part.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Mucking around in Sea of Thieves on an island with my pals when suddenly music started up and a skeleton popped out of the ground with a sack

Having half-read a blurb when talking to the pet store clerk I fortunately knew what that meant and chased that fucker down

My baby, his name is Maximillian Havisham the 7th, twilight mau and premier ratter and I will fight to the death for him

@Jacobkosh probably

Orphane on
  • Options
    yeah not following the CP development (other than employee conditions) was great. i know very little about cyberpunk as a genre so i went into the game so unconditioned for any particular result. it's not my GotY (that'd be hades, i think) but i enjoyed it very much. as far as the action-combat-rpg thing goes, super broadly collating- fallout, mass effect, skyrim etc- i was pleased.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I’m gonna read that Bloomberg piece but bury CDPR in what way?

The game was massively profitable regardless of the press and all refunds. They’ve made billions on it. Sure they’ve run their reputation into the ground forever. Made mad cash though, I don’t see how an investor has grounds for suit under those circumstances.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I know a lot about the Cyberpunk genre and RPG but I actively avoided spoilers and continue to do so.

Kind of miffed that Johnny Silverhand looks so off from the illustrations though.

• Options
    Like I’m getting a sense that all talk about the game is just going on here in normaltown but in billionairecity they don’t care and the game
    actually bought the owners a new castle.

Does it actually matter that we think the development and game was fucked? I don’t think it does.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Now add a double jump. And wall climb. And a directional dash attack. And attacks that give you momentum in the direction you're doing them. And lots of ways to refresh all these.

I've still barely played it but you pretty much never touch the floor, it's almost like you're playing something like Geometry Wars instead of a game where gravity exists.

It feels very, very cool.

I never made it far in Dead Cells but that does sound more dynamic than what I remember of Dead Cells.

It's really cheap, has been on my wishlist so I must have been interested in it, and I have a week off...I'll probably buy it tomorrow.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Honk wrote: »

The game was massively profitable regardless of the press and all refunds. They’ve made billions on it. Sure they’ve run their reputation into the ground forever. Made mad cash though, I don’t see how an investor has grounds for suit under those circumstances.

CDPRs stock price has dropped by half since release.

Sales are good for the company means jack shit for investors though when their investments just halved

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    I'm not playing it any time soon, but isn't it just Cyberpunk Shooter Witcher? That's all I expected from it.

No, "just shooter witcher" is not an apt descriptor.

• Options
    I haven't played GTA, so I can't really compare; I will say to me Cyberpunk felt most like playing Yakuza 0, in that there are compelling characters and story, a bunch of sidequests, and you wander around a well-realized city. However I liked the Cyberpunk gameplay mechanics more (I was always too bad at the Yakuza gameplay), and the city in Cyberpunk felt quite real to me in a way that created feelings that I haven't experienced in any other game.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »

CDPRs stock price has dropped by half since release.

Sales are good for the company means jack shit for investors though when their investments just halved

That’s big and no doubt affects investors.

But

It’s dropped to what it was in March 2020. It’s higher than at any point in 2019 or any year in the history of the company before that.

So stocks rolled back and the actual money flowing in is profitable in the billions.

I have very low respect for what the stock market does. Someone sneezing can affect stocks. A company literally earning billions currently does not tank. If there were to be consequences that it’d have to come from consumer class actions or employee ones.

They’ll be fine in the sense that the owners will see no consequences for their actions.

It’s enraging to read how poorly treated Devs are but this won’t change anything for anyone. In the short term this paid off for the company.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    An Elon Musk tweet always feels like he's taking part of his stock value and putting it on a Roulette Wheel

• Options
    I wonder how many people got refunds on CP2077

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular

So far as I've heard: Not enough to even count as a speed bump on the highway to batshit levels of moneytown.

• Options
    cyberpunk differs from witcher 3 in a lot of significant ways (not all of them good). they don't feel overly similar to me.

• Options

i got a refund because it didn't play properly on my system and then i found geforce now and subscribed and rebought the game

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I want my new computer so I can play cyberpunk...

Soon

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.