As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

so I'm trying to quit smoking [Resolutions thread?]

DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughingin the pizza rainRegistered User regular
edited January 2021 in Social Entropy++
It's only been like two hours and I am dying.

Encourage me! Tell me of your plans for improvement, self or otherwise!

Depressperado on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Hell yeah duder, that's a super hard and awesome choice

I uh, stopped drinking at the beginning of the month, not sure if that's gonna be a long term or short term choice but I'm giving it through March to see how I feel

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Between early April and New Year's Eve I didn't have any alcohol at all, less out of hard quitting (had already been slowing down a ton since college anyways) and more out of a clear realization that it wouldn't mix well with social distancing/isolation, but made an exception on New Year's Eve for some very good blueberry lavender mead my partner (who I've only been seeing since November) made

And so now I'm going to keep on not drinking on my own time, but hey, some light moderation in the company of someone I love actually feels fine

Also been re-teaching myself how to skateboard and doing a lot of work on financial literacy/responsibility

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    You’re not trying to quit smoking, nor are you quitting smoking. You HAVE quit smoking. Say it out loud to yourself and anytime it come up in conversation you say, ‘I quit smoking’

Ignore the wankers that try to make fun of you having quit smoking for 2 hours. They don’t understand like you and me!

Regular chewing gum can help distract. Anything to keep your hand and mouth activity busy. When I quit cold turkey, I got an empty biro (pen) with some tissue paper stuffed in it for air resistance and I would ‘puff’ that, which really helped.

Good job on quitting, you’re gonna add 20 years to your life!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    What I've realized after recently quitting weed was that I enjoyed the rituals surrounding the habit as much as the drug itself, and filling in that extra free time AND overriding these seemingly built-in, automatic brain hankerings was not something I was initially prepared for.

But if COVID did one thing it's made me o.k. at finding ways to distract from the impending stressors of *gestures everywhere*.

It is both the best and worst time to kick a fucked up habit, though.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I plan on losing 50 pounds this year

I just finished eating 2 pop tarts...

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    At the beginning of the year I stopped having snacks, sweets, fast food, sugary foods, & soda.

All I want to do is drink cola and eat zebra cakes.

But my body feels much healthier since I decided to cut that stuff out.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Oh! And do the calculations on how much you will save on smoking. It’s a bit different where I’m from where smokes cost $45 for 30, but knowing the total amount saved really helped me.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I quit smoking one year, 10 months, and 3 days ago.

I used an app called Smoke Free to help me keep track of everything. When you see how much you've saved, how many days you've gone, etc it makes you not want to break your streak.

I also ate a shitload of carrots. Instead of smoke breaks at home, I'd stand by the fridge eating carrots before returning to whatever I was doing. It sounds silly, but it worked for me.

I saved $3,375 on cigarettes.

• Options
    Oh hey I use smoke free!

zt2qnhdj3cpu.jpeg
    5m 23d 23h

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I resolved to lose weight

buutttt I made beef Bourgogne (sp?) and mashed potatoes, and a massive chocolate cake

but I am 24 days without soda so that's good

• Options
    Cutting out sugary drinks is a big step! Last time I lost a bunch of weight it was short walks and stopping all sodas and cutting down the beers

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    If you put a stethoscope to my heart you'd hear a faint, but intense, message pounded out across my body.

It'd say, "Give me Mountain Dew Code Red!"

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I resolved to shoot my bow more and to track my accuracy.

I would like to track my accuracy by shooting "300 rounds." The archer shoots 10 "ends" or sets of three arrows each at 20 yards at a certain target, a perfect score is 300 points.

I cannot shoot at home, so that's an obstacle.

There's a place about a half hours drive away I can shoot outside.

I finally got to shoot on Saturday, but there was quite a bit of wind, like enough wind it was hard to even hit the target. The temperature was 20 degrees Fahrenheit without the wind.

It was nice to shoot for a bit, but it didn't feel very productive at all. I tried working on my form instead of scoring my shooting.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I will finally be free of my ancient curse.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I also resolved to read more books, read one book in January, so that's a good start

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I decided to actually do something about my weight. I started the keto diet a year ago, but very halfheartedly. This time I'm measuring whether I'm in ketosis, I'm strict about my carb intake and I've started working out every evening. Not a lot, but more than I otherwise would and every evening.

And I've lost 10 lbs so far.

Also continuing the ongoing project of making this apartment look less like a disorganized yard sale and more like someone is living here.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I stopped biting my nails at the end of November. I did it then so I wouldn't call it a resolution figuring it might have a better chance of sticking this time. I've done it since about 5th grade, and I'm a week away from 44 now, so it's been a long time thing with only one successful 6 monthish break from it. So far, I really like how much better playing my ukulele sounds having nails to strum, so I'm hoping that added benefit will help keep them safe from me. Also, I found the idle time of my commute was one of my prime chewing times, since I'm working from home until at least June, that risk factor is gone.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I quit smoking one year, 10 months, and 3 days ago.

I used an app called Smoke Free to help me keep track of everything. When you see how much you've saved, how many days you've gone, etc it makes you not want to break your streak.

I also ate a shitload of carrots. Instead of smoke breaks at home, I'd stand by the fridge eating carrots before returning to whatever I was doing. It sounds silly, but it worked for me.

I saved $3,375 on cigarettes.

And spent $4,000 on carrots?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to finally bench 315 this year, hopefully raw but at least with an assistive device. I'm writing it here early as heck because it's a real goal that might take the year to accomplish, we'll see!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I stopped biting my nails at the end of November. I did it then so I wouldn't call it a resolution figuring it might have a better chance of sticking this time. I've done it since about 5th grade, and I'm a week away from 44 now, so it's been a long time thing with only one successful 6 monthish break from it. So far, I really like how much better playing my ukulele sounds having nails to strum, so I'm hoping that added benefit will help keep them safe from me. Also, I found the idle time of my commute was one of my prime chewing times, since I'm working from home until at least June, that risk factor is gone.

I used to bite my nails so bad, like, down to the quick
    I'm not sure when I stopped, but I'm pretty sure it coincided with starting anti-anxiety meds

either way, don't bite those nails, dogg, they're much nicer functional! I believe in you!

you can get some clear coat nail polish and put some of that on them, it'll gross you out if you try and bite and also it makes your nails shiny

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Nail polish just gives me something new to chew at on my nails

Sometimes it's useful, in that I'll spend my time picking off my nail polish with my teeth instead of straight up biting them

But it's never been a true deterrent

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    So I have successfully quit smoking twice now (this isn’t a joke!)

The first, I went a year before I started again (my wife was a heavy smoker and pulled me back in...)

I’ve now gone a little over 3 years since my last smoke and I’m sure I won’t ever start again. Beyond just *wanting* to quit, there were 2 things that occurred both times that made it happen:

1. Getting a raging sinus infection and just not being able to or even crave a cig for over a week
    2. First time, I broke up with a smoker so had less instances of the social/habit part of it; second time, my wife got pregnant shortly after my break from the sinus infection and had to quit herself, so no more social/habit part

I think you really need the desire, then a social/habit change....and if there’s some way to make it unpalatable if not impossible for that first period where the cravings are worse, that’s best

Anyway this is a long preachy post but if it helps, I LOVE that I no longer smoke and have zero cravings or desire...I have never missed it all this time and I love that and hope you can get there too :)

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    hmm

little razor blades? no, too much

glue sand to your nails.

• Options
    Also I threw away all my cigs during the sinus infection because it was easier to do when the thought of smoking made me sick(er)

• Options
    my grandpa stopped drinking when I was a kid, but kept a bottle of whiskey in the house because "sometimes it's a test and sometimes it's medicinal."

my worry is that I tend to wake up with those Middle-of-the-Night Blues, and nothing puts you back down like an introspective smoke in the dark.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    nothing puts you back down like an introspective carrot in the dark.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    my grandpa stopped drinking when I was a kid, but kept a bottle of whiskey in the house because "sometimes it's a test and sometimes it's medicinal."

my worry is that I tend to wake up with those Middle-of-the-Night Blues, and nothing puts you back down like an introspective smoke in the dark.

I found when I quit smoking that those were the hardest times, those moments where a situational cigarette was a psychological link--midnight existential smokes, coffee smokes, beer smokes, etc.

I had to figure out different routines entirely until that link went away!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I did the clear gel thing at the start, mostly because some of them were just super fragile and my pinkie fingers had taken the brunt of my stress for a while. The worst was around Christmas because they had reached a point of growth where I physically noticed them and found them actually annoying to have. It was like someone attached post-it notes to the ends of my fingers and I felt a weird pressure from having nails there. I'm mostly ok with them now, but of course they aren't completely nice and even and grown yet, so I'm just looking forward to them being shaped like full rounded nails.

I know part of it is anxiety, I fight with that in general, but having a reason to have nails other than as an outlet for nervous energy seems to really be helping.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Which dark places are we putting carrots in now

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

"Hmmm, what is up, doc?"

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Which dark places are we putting carrots in now

hold on i'm not done typing the list

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I decided to actually do something about my weight. I started a low-carb diet a year ago, but very halfheartedly. This time I'm measuring whether it's working, I'm strict about my carb intake and I've started working out every evening. Not a lot, but more than I otherwise would and every evening.

And I've lost 10 lbs so far.

Also continuing the ongoing project of making this apartment look less like a disorganized yard sale and more like someone is living here.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have:

- not had a sugary coffee in ~3 months
    - reduced my portion sizes
    - upped my water intake (I try and at least finish one 32 oz bottle) (I only have water + one mushroom coffee a day)
    - exercised every day since Jan 1st
    - gone from getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night to getting into bed before midnight so I get at least 6, and more often than not I get 7 hours a night!

I don’t really drink alcohol but I dialed back the weed last year from 2-3 x a week to once a month or so. I took a 3 month break and didn’t miss it, but sometimes it’s nice to have

It’d be nice if any of the above resulted in weight loss, but it hasn’t, so I guess the next stage is calorie counting

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I have:

- not had a sugary coffee in ~3 months
    - reduced my portion sizes
    - upped my water intake (I try and at least finish one 32 oz bottle) (I only have water + one mushroom coffee a day)
    - exercised every day since Jan 1st
    - gone from getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night to getting into bed before midnight so I get at least 6, and more often than not I get 7 hours a night!

I don’t really drink alcohol but I dialed back the weed last year from 2-3 x a week to once a month or so. I took a 3 month break and didn’t miss it, but sometimes it’s nice to have

It’d be nice if any of the above resulted in weight loss, but it hasn’t, so I guess the next stage is calorie counting

Have you noticed clothes fitting better at all or anything else like that?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Have you noticed clothes fitting better at all or anything else like that?
    Not really, but I otherwise do feel a lot better.

I was probably a bit too negative in that post. I feel pretty fantastic, physically, and I will keep it all up regardless!