As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] The Twin Torches - The Dead of Winter

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    FE-26

Gimmi a Strength check on that lever, it’s real rusty.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Ah, physical strength, my weakness!

Geth, roll 1d20-1 for STR

STR:
    1d20-1 1 [1d20=2]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    FE-26
    The lever hardly budges, but you hear a sudden rush of movement as a caged winter wolf slams into the door of her cage. She pushes her scarred snout under the slightly raised door.

This lever isn’t connected to the grates. You instinctually let go of it. The wolf squeezes a big paw under the door... she’s trying to open it further,

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Astoria
    The noblewoman continues on, quickening her pace. She crosses the grates.

v7i1ftv758zo.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    "Yo dudes! I'm going to get some leverage!" Gawain says as he comes down from his skip and breaks into a full run towards the lever. He plants his foot right on top of the lever and jumps towards the top of the ruins, digging his handaxe in as he comes in contact with the wall, then climbs up and towards the chest

{Action} Dash

{Movement} 12 Total: E, SE,SE, E -> Running High Jump [6 feet + height of the lever] = 1 to 2 spaces for 1 to 2 cost + 1 Climb to the top of the wall at 2x Cost then 4 to the chest = 12 if the jumping/climbing works and i get the 2 spaces of jump. Otherwise i am short:

{conditional} If i don't have spare movement to make it to the chest i lower my hand down to help Grung up

Geth Roll 1d20+5 for Athletics if its necessary and or for if it trips the lever.

Athletics if its necessary and or for if it trips the lever:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Gawain

SPLISH

The hobgoblin is flipped into the ice cold water moments before getting off the grates.

You scramble up onto the top of the wall. You reach the chest and have just enough time to kick it open. It appears to be empty.

As a free action on your next turn you can have a feel around in it. I’ll tell you what you find if you do, then you can continue your turn.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Wild Candle leaps off the falling architecture, and then comes to a sudden abrupt stop as the cage with the wolf to his North threatened to open. The monk walks around the cage warily...then, once satisfied the animal is still contained, the Tabaxi picks up his pace again and runs towards the finish line.

Before stepping through the open gateway, the feline turns back to take note of his fellow competitors...and then the crowd. With a pronounced bow to the spectators, the Tabaxi turns around and steps through the shadowed entrance into darkness...

• Options
    I will indeed feel around at the start of my turn and yell "Sorry Dude, I'm gonna come help you out!" right after i hear the splash

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Wild Candle is first overall, and so a boon will be bestowed upon the Red Team. Whether his partner makes it is still in question, of course.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Mire
    Cursing up a storm, a shivering hobgoblin flops out of the water, then stumbles a few feet before taking a heavy breath. He takes out his sword. He keeps walking.

“My boots are full of water.”, he growls.

2samlu4e7mjj.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    T’hutt
    The fighter bounds down the hill and heads forth, seemingly figured out the trial despite the language barrier.

upvofqc26snc.jpeg

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Stylish Descent

Stylish Descent:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    I will indeed feel around at the start of my turn and yell "Sorry Dude, I'm gonna come help you out!" right after i hear the splash

If anyone has time to look up, they see Gawain stare at nothing in his hands, and then carefully stow nothing.

Gawain’s eyes only:
    You found an invisibility potion! You’re not sure on the details right now, and don’t have time to study it.

Just what will that frogman do?

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Grung will high jump 15 straight up the ruin walls, suction cup into position, then climb the remaining height, finally reuniting with Gawain.

Grung points towards the wolf, then motions towards the ruined wall around the wolf.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Round 3

The crowd begins to cheer, but it is not for Grung’s agility.

The same heavy metal doors you arrived through open once again. Cinders spit out onto the cold earth. Smoke drifts—then the beast bursts into the arena!

“Gaze!”, an unseen voice bellows, “The vengeful spirit of the dwarves!”

The beast is a colossal bull, and upon its horns firecrackers have been wrapped, and it’s skin burns with powdered fire-paper, the sort a wealthy warrior would use to ignite a blade. It is fury incarnate. It’s swift, but bucks and turns constantly, attempting to escape the inferno, which is the only reason it hasn’t covered the entire arena in seconds.

lk8glym5vyst.jpeg
    7yyf89v4u6ps.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    “Woah, an invisible potion” (under breath) “wonder what it does”

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    So it appears that pulling the lever was a fwoop / splash / grgrgrgrgrgr-ka-chunk! as the floor righted itself? Assuming so:

Fury of the dwarves my ass! Barlowe hauls himself to his feet and makes a run for it!

SE, E, E, SE, SE, SE, SE off the grate (leaving 6's threatened zone), E to end just SW of the lever.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    The lever in the first half of the arena opened up the southern grates. The lever nearer the exit opens a cage with a winter wolf in it. It was a good time to roll a 1.

• Options
    The grate is crossable now, though, right? You didn't specifically say but 6 and 7 are standing on it so my movement noted above crossed it.

• Options
    Yeah, those two sets of grates are safe.

• Options
    I see - it was 8 that fell in, I was thinking it was 7.

• Options
    FE-26 fails to flip the lever. Internal assessment needed. Logic protocols failed to detect malfunction Again, he quickly assess the surroundings. His assignment companion has been following him forward and is likely to escape. Others have made progress but still a few are behind. Finally, a new threat has entered the area, so time was limited.

The end result of his logic processes left room for further action before an attempted escape, so he set off towards a nearby chest. He would attempt to collect its contents before escaping, he would likely need help in further rounds.
    Move SE to the chest and open it.

• Options
    FE-26
    No lock. Rudimentary design. You open it. Inside there is an old signet ring, and five silver pieces.

5cfyo7fb3vex.jpeg

• Options
    Astoria
    She bolts, taking 2nd place.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    (To Grung)“I agree! I love that song too” Gawain heads south east leaping to the crumbling wall, climbs halfway down and then jumps to the grate. So he is kind of in the middle of the arena two squares behind where 8 is. If you listen closely you can maybe hear him hum a tune that sounds like Motörhead’s “Ace of Spades”

“Hairy dude I have a potion for you” he holds out the invisible potion for the hobgoblin.

{action} dash

{movement} using all my move to go towards the lever that lets out the wolf

{item interaction} holds out potion for hobgoblin.

Geth roll 1d20 for acrobatics if necessary

acrobatics if necessary:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Grung watches Gawain move down, takes off running, long jumps across the expanse, and continues towards the other iron chest on top of the ruin walls.

Grung opens the chest.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    Night has fallen on my half of earth, so I’ll catch up tomorrow. To be continued!

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Gawain
    You match the hobgoblin in step as they run, presenting nothing to them. Every step they take spouts water from their heavy suit.

“Madness.”, they seeth.

Grung
    Inside the cold iron chest is a beautiful silk tunic with a gossamer half-cloak over it.

mn9z2azi2tf8.jpeg

Black Team
    They both head for the exit, though at the last moment the orc slows to a stop before the exit. Who can say what T’hutt is thinking, if orcs think at all.

Barlowe
    Wand in hand, you—

That noise. That heat.

The bull crashes around the hill and is set to trample you!

Geth roll 1d20+5 to Hit

to Hit:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    The bull crashes into Barlowe!

Barlowe, you take 4 damage as the bull lowers its head and rams you down.

Barlowe, make a Strength saving throw.

Geth roll 2d4 for Damage

Damage:
    2d4 4 [2d4=3, 1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    iyxa0owmwrww.jpeg

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    One second the cloak is in Grung's hand, the next, it's around his body, flying through the air, STANDING LEAP five squares right, sprinting toward the exit with DASH.

c8148bbbc379300aee542bf0d542c34c-01.jpg

joshgotro on
  • Options
    @Endless_Serpents Barlowe is not in the location you have him being attacked - he moved across the grate to his SE on his last turn and is supposed to be in the tile SW of the SE-most lever, not far from FE-26. All the same :

Geth, roll 1d20-1 just in case!

just in case!:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]

• Options
    edited January 2021
    The bull skims the dwarf: you carry on unharmed!

Barlowe, what do you do?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Barlowe feels a gust of heat from the braying, stamping bull across the grate to his west, but presses on, up the final hill past the orc and through the exit.
    Starting from SW of the lever:
    E, NE, NE, [NE up the hill], [NE], N leaving the orc's threatened zone - into the exit!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    FE-26 sees the items in the chest and collects them. Likelihood of beneficial items. Further analysis required.

The creature is approaching still and a number of contenders have already exited, so FE-26 deduces that it is time to leave the premises.
    Collect items.
    Move to exit.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Round 4

The orc, T’hutt, seems to be awaiting his partner, the hobgoblin named Mire.

Gawain a could easily sprint out the exit, but perhaps he intends to free the winter wolf first.

There is a chest inside it’s cage... but between that and the bull, could it ever be worth it?

What do you do?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oh Astoria and Wild Candle are off the map.. derp didnt realize you were waiting on me

"i'm just trying to help dude, OK" Gawain says as he rushes to the level. He breaks into song (again, to Motorhead's "Ace of Spades") "What is free, won't be caged!", drops his handaxe, winks at the wolf, and throws the lever. "Ice and Fire, Ice and Fire!"

geth roll 1d20+5 athletics to throw the lever (-2 for strength only)

{Action} Throw the Lever

{Movement} directly to the south side of the lever
    {Free action} Drop the handaxe so he has a hand free to throw the lever

Edit: 1d20+5 is athletics, -2 for strength only

strength only):
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Chaos

The lever snaps back, and the wolf is free before the cage is fully open.

She snaps at T’hutt, catches his arm in her jaws as he attempts to defend himself.

Mire slides on his knees under the leaping wolf, and scrambles to the safety of the shadows beyond the arena.

The bull whips through the gap between the central ruins, it’s out for blood!

naprk4yn2k0g.jpeg

Geth roll 1d20+1 to Hit

to Hit:
    1d20+1 14 [1d20=13]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for Wolf Bite

Wolf Bite:
    1d6+3 8 [1d6=5]

• Options
    edited January 2021
    T’hutt

The orc cannot swing his sword with his arm currently being eaten.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Hit
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage

Round 5

Fight

Hit:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

Endless_Serpents on