As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Sorcelations

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Sorcelations

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    You borrow a thing, sell it for a high price, buy it back for a lower price, then return it to the person you borrowed it from. But you gotta return it no matter what, so if the price doesn't go down, you're losing money.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Line goes up

Line goes down

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    LieutenantDanLieutenantDan Registered User regular
    Bitcoins went up a lot because Elon Musk put #bitcoin in his twatter profile

None of it is real

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    I mean, he's not entirely wrong.

I kind of feel like this can also be applied to how I'm currently performing in Valorant.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Damnit based on the title I came in here thinking there would be news about the long awaited film adaptation of L H Franzibald's opus. Don't toy with my feelings like this.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Bitcoins went up a lot because Elon Musk put #bitcoin in his twatter profile

None of it is real

All money value is just the collectively-agreed-upon fantasy; it's as old as money as a concept. Gold had no practical use outside of decoration for centuries; it was valuable because we chose to value it.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    For those that were confused, GME is the stock symbol for GameStop. I was confused, and I already knew everything else about what's going on. If you're still confused, google "GameStop reddit".

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    "No, see, it's sort of like if there's two schools of tuna and a giant squid comes along..."
    *makes motions with hands, squints off into distance*
    That said, I don't think most people realize how historic this is. If they did, just like in 2008, a lot of people would go to jail and institutions would be reformed. "Free market" my ass.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I personally am enjoying the awakening of class consciousness that the GME affair is driving.

Why yes, the game is rigged against you.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I assume all those robinhood.com traders are immediately donating all of their "winnings" from this to the truly poor. They need to live up to the namesake of their chosen portal! Besides, if they have money to play the markets, then that pretty much guarantees that they aren't among the truly poor. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    TheSchaef wrote: »

By "not entirely wrong", you mean "100% correct with no exaggeration", right?

Because "borrow things that don't exist from wizards, that you then sell to ghosts" is a pretty accurate description of the stock market if you ask me.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I assume all those robinhood.com traders are immediately donating all of their "winnings" from this to the truly poor. They need to live up to the namesake of their chosen portal! Besides, if they have money to play the markets, then that pretty much guarantees that they aren't among the truly poor. ;)

Plenty of stories of folks who have paid off their parent's loans and helped out their fellow man. I am sure the wsb folks have done more for charity per dollar won than the hedge fund managers they are up against.

But sure, you can only ever have the moral high ground when you first help everyone who is worse off than you.

Aldo on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I am sure the wsb folks have done more for charity per dollar won than the hedge fund managers they are up against.

Per dollar won? I'm going a step further.

I am sure the WSB folks have done more for charity and the less fortunate than the hedge funds they are up against period.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »

Robinhood is the corporate name chosen by the company - your question would be better directed at them, I think.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    You borrow a thing, sell it for a high price, buy it back for a lower price, then return it to the person you borrowed it from. But you gotta return it no matter what, so if the price doesn't go down, you're losing money.

On the understanding that, if one or a multitude should fail to outwit the machinations of the dark forces with which they meddle, then this endeavor shall bring great ruin upon their house. And should they fail to tug at the strings of hearts and purses alike, by the mummery of donning sackcloth and rattling their pewter cups in the gutters that line the great capital, generations of their progeny will wear the marks of servitude on their backs.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »
    TheSchaef wrote: »

By "not entirely wrong", you mean "100% correct with no exaggeration", right?

Because "borrow things that don't exist from wizards, that you then sell to ghosts" is a pretty accurate description of the stock market if you ask me.

And I find this attitude to be part of the problem. Listen, it's really not that complicated. If you can grasp the subtleties of min/maxing your Pathfinder 2e Rogue, then you can understand short-shelling and trading options on the stock market. It just takes a little effort to understand the underlying concepts. But Brokers don't want you to put forth the effort. Because when enough people begin to figure out how the system works and how they actually have the power to manipulate it as well, shit like this happens.

So, for fucks sake people, for once in you lives don't just hand wave away a market event of this magnitude while making some pithy comment about its all wizards, and ghosts and imaginary gold coins. Take an afternoon, figure out what is actually going on, and better educate yourselves so you don't have have to rely in these same corporate overlords for the well being of your financial future.

v2micca on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    There's a difference between saying, "It's a made up game that inexplicably controls our society" and "This is hard to understand and I don't get it"

With what Cambiata said, wizards and ghosts aren't standing in for confusion - they're representing how little the stock market (as a whole) interacts with reality. Tycho's explanation only brings in actual confusion with the ghost rider bit

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Ringo wrote: »
    There's a difference between saying, "It's a made up game that inexplicably controls our society" and "This is hard to understand and I don't get it"

With what Cambiata said, wizards and ghosts aren't standing in for confusion - they're representing how little the stock market (as a whole) interacts with reality. Tycho's explanation only brings in actual confusion with the ghost rider bit

Exactly that - it's not that it's hard to understand, it's that the traditional explanation of what it is doesn't actually contribute to understanding what it does.

The stock market is very close to a trade in hypotheticals, examples of how and why stock prices move far out of step with the actual dollars on the books are too diverse and numerous to even name.

There's a reason that more and more hedge funds and investment brokers are now also trading in cryptocurrency as if they were stocks without a company, and a couple years ago when it turned out one of the crypto exchanges they used was a fake (they were paying for coins and getting money for selling them, but the exchange never actually had the coins being traded, it was literally just taking a commission on customers transferring dollars back and forth with nothing in between), most didn't even stop using it, because even the final step to actually trading make believe nothing wasn't unacceptable as long as the exchange was fair.

Hevach on