As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zakrello Appreciation Thread [Gunpla]

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Is it abs or ps? I can't remember.

You also might be able to pin it and make it even stronger.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't know what those acronyms mean

They're the parts from F which is a harder plastic

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ABS and PS being types of plastics, ABS is acrylonitrile butadiene styrene and PS is polystyrene, they react differently to different types of plastic cements and such

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'll take a look at my manuals tomorrow and see if I can make some recommendations, though I am not the best at repairing things.

I'd highly recommend using like a thumbtack pin or something to strengthen the piece, if you have a pin vise. That way you aren't relying entirely on the welded plastic.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend using like a thumbtack pin or something

It's dumb but this very concept just blew my mind.

Edit: I got way too excited for something that turns out to be much more difficult than I thought.

Quid on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    CDDQzIsh.jpg

We've all done this at some point. My recommended fix for something like this is to pin it, which is what Athenor was alluding to.

You don't need green stuff like in this video, but the rest is solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxNLiODrQo

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    I spent four hours today driving around the island looking for better sanding options.

I also now have a tackle tiny toolbox.

The new hotness for sanding is glass files but you should probably just get whatever is on Amazon instead of the $50 Gunprimer kit.
    I have tried both a Random Generic Amazon Glass File, and - because my curiosity got the better of me - the $50 Gunprimer kit.

They are nowhere near the same ballpark.

It's possible that there are different Random Generic Amazon Glass Files, and I just got the wrong one, and a different one would be better. What the Random Generic Amazon Glass File did do for me was scratch up the entire surface that I was trying to file. The Gunprimer Raser did make some scratches when I was being careless, but it was day and night compared to the Amazon file.

The best explanation of the difference between the two types of files that I've seen is in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rV7CbOYkY0
    Starts around the 3:45 mark.

I, like everyone else, watched that video from the YouTuber Citrus, where he ridicules how expensive the Gunprimer set is and says that you can get the same results for $5. I, like everyone else, felt the same outrage towards Gunprimer. From what I have actually experienced, though, the results are decidedly not the same. I don't know if the Gunprimer set is "worth" $50 or whatever, but in my experience the cheap nail buffer is not an equivalent replacement. Maybe I got the wrong file, or used it wrong, certainly possible.

Oh, and I liked the foam buffers in that set so much that I bought more later on. Again, I might be a dummy who's blinded by brand names. I for sure agree that all the Gunprimer stuff is expensive, and that not everyone can afford to buy into it.

• Options
    ... No joke, I trust people on this forum more than some random vid on the internet. Going to the glass file I got was a massive jump in quality... maybe I'll give this a shot. I've spent more on less.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Before you do anything rash, I do want to draw attention to the fact that I am VERY far from an expert at this kind of thing. I still end up with nub marks so it's not like this thing is magic (that probably has more to do with my lack of patience for sanding).

On the other hand, I am curious to see another real, live human being (as opposed to a YouTuber) use it, and hear what their thoughts are. It would be useful to have another datapoint, especially on something that is expensive enough that it can't be an automatic recommend. And, hey, maybe trying a new tool will be an excuse for you to temporarily step out of your slump and build some stuff, Athenor.

EDIT: I will say that I spent a lot of time watching different video reviews of the Raser before buying it. The video I linked above really sold me on it by demonstrating that there's an actual, physical difference between it and the cheaper glass buffers. Also, I'm fortunate enough to have the disposable income to buy it without feeling stressed out about the money, and that part of it can't be ignored, either.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    true. I'm in a similar boat, when I want to be. I also tried my hardest to find a glass file that was micro or nano-sized for its surface, so that it was as shallow as possible. Takes longer to remove things, but. :)

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Having used a few different glass files, the gunprimer one is really nice to work with. I would recommend it so, you probably don't need to spend extra money on the specialized sanding sponges and rags they give you in the deluxe kit.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've been holding off adding to my backlog but I just broke down and ordered one of them Barzams

He's just a funky looking robot and I dig that

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    heek02331e3y.jpg

That is my results after cutting as much of the nub as I could with the USA Gundam Store single blade nippers and using just the tip for a little bit with the same file linked in the video.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vukVmlqh.jpg

So this is bigger than I expected.

• Options
    yeah sazabi is a pretty large fella, I actually thought it was larger than it is in comparison to the nu gundam but I guess the nu gundam is also pretty big

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I saw a dude on instagram working on a 1/35 sazabi garage kit

The crotch was bigger than most things I build

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    But enough about me...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Hmm - seems I didn't realize the Barzam and the AOZ Reboot Barzam are different kits
    Are they very different builds? the Reboot was a P-Bandai and I don't think I want it bad enough to brave eBay prices, but is the regular HGUC Barzam a decent kit? I suppose I'll only be out 20 bucks so it's not a huge loss if not

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    4vu3lnc7f3am.png

they're pretty distinct while both being a take on the same base design, no shared molds and different joint arrangements, i think overall i slightly had a better time with the regular barzam just because some of the AOZ 'zam is finicky

my only complaints with the HGUC are with its proportions, otherwise it's fine

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I really like my regular Barzam.

I have pinned plastic things by using a needle, heating it up first under a flame (while holding it with pliers or (reverse) tweezers that have an insulated handle) and pushing it in the plastic.
    The needle makes a nice hole, but I do retract the needle. Then I used cutting pliers (sorry, don’t know the correct English word for it) to either snap a needle, a pin, a piece of paper clip as the actual pin used in the model. A thumbtack piece should also work.
    Just be very careful when cutting your piece of pin that the parts that gets cut off does fly somewhere (reverse tweezers are good for weighing it down).

It’s pretty sturdy; I once had to pin a big weighty arm onto a metal model of a troll or something, and the paperclip pin worked perfectly fine.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I did buy this model earlier in the year and did plan on getting the decals he talks about but I did not know you also could rename your ship
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-KEKliNq0

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Just gonna leave this here:

https://imgur.com/a/RpZZSdf

• Options
    Oh shit! Those official? Because they are gorgeous!

*checks his orders*

Damn. I got the RG Destiny Gundam, MG Turn-A gundam, and MG Eclipse Gundam's extra wings/effects, but not a Freedom Gundam... in fact, I don't think I have a Freedom anywhere.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Those are pretty cool but holy shit I do not need another Nu/Hi-Nu, and the Sazabi will probably cost $150 or something nutty.

Please give some other suits some love Bandai

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    better than another unicorn I guess

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
  • Options
    >:o

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Those are pretty cool but holy shit I do not need another Nu/Hi-Nu, and the Sazabi will probably cost $150 or something nutty.

Please give some other suits some love Bandai

Yeah, maybe a Turn A variant or something, you have the whole alphabet to get through

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oh shit! Those official? Because they are gorgeous!

*checks his orders*

Damn. I got the RG Destiny Gundam, MG Turn-A gundam, and MG Eclipse Gundam's extra wings/effects, but not a Freedom Gundam... in fact, I don't think I have a Freedom anywhere.

Official, yes. But China only, apparently.

• Options
    I want every weird Zeta and ZZ suit to get lovingly engineered new HGs

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    alright, help me pick my next build

86mpydee674k.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    PG Unleashed RX-78-2

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Vayeate and Mercurius!

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Oh baby what a selection! Seconding Vayeate & Mercurius.

• Options
    Gotta be the tag team

• Options
    GM cannon imo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I suffered temporary insanity on eBay the last couple weeks and have ended up with a surplus situation... Grabbed a buncha AoZ kits - the MG Advanced Hazel, Hazel II, Owsla, Hrududu, Primrose and Shield Booster Expansion.

So. The goal was an Owsla, but I couldn't get one at a fair price, so I grabbed all the components to make it... and then found an Owsla at a fair price, oops! I believe I can use the expansion pack kits to make some cool support vehicles, but I'm not sure what to do with the extra Gundams - I know I want at least one built as a Hazel Custom, and currently have the Hazel II built as that basic Custom, with a Quel backpack as a placeholder, it looks p.neat!

7pYhTcVl.jpeg

One's gonna be the Owsla, naturally. Third one should be...? Not sure yet! But having built this one, definitely gonna be painting it in Titans colors, this actually looks super cool. A lotta AoZ art I've seen also has yellow pinstripe color schemes that could look good too:

l2biuxi0pr7n.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Peeb RG EVA 01! Looks amazing. I also painted the silver parts and used Delpi Decal waterslides in place of the stickers

RIP to the standard release version.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That green really pops

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Somehow this comic from early May hits very close to home...
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2022/05/02/one-weird-trick
    (no, my credit card hasn't been stolen, but yes, my credit card statements are often full of Gunpla/Warhammer/MtG)

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
This discussion has been closed.