As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The FORBIDDEN DOOR has opened in the [wrestling] thread

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Miro: officially a wife guy

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Why have Dustin win that match?

Why have that main event? Just a really weird Dynamite. Felt like they were spent from DoN and daunted by the fact that they have to shoot 3 Dynamites, Darks, and Elevations this weekend.

It felt more like they didn't expect people to watch after the first hour.

The idea of Dustin vs Nick in a bullrope match sounds great and that was solid. It just didn't have the time to be surprise great like Butcher and Blade vs Dustin and QT

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    every dynamite after a ppv has been bad, although that one felt like they tried extra hard for it to be lame

jericho threatening us with more of a lame rivalry, 35 nightmare factory related matches, an awkward britt baker bit that will make absolutely no fucking sense unless you're on twitter...

at least the first match was really fun

The Cody/Lee vs Ogogo/Marshall was a great match leading into a PPV, not so much following one

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Why is Dynamite on Fridays now?

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Why is Dynamite on Fridays now?

NBA playoffs are bumping it. It should return to Wednesdays eventually.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Hilariously the past two weeks there hasn't. Been a game in AEW'S normal slot.

• CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

That's... odd.

Why would they pre-empt Dynamite if there wasn't a conflict?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

That's... odd.

It's easier to say "hey for the next X weeks we're in this timeslot" than "check a sport you might not care about every week in case one team gets rolled."

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

That's... odd.

It's easier to say "hey for the next X weeks we're in this timeslot" than "check a sport you might not care about every week in case one team gets rolled."

That's fair. I don't really follow NBA, so I don't know how they structure their playoffs. If it's a series that ran short, it makes sense.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Nick Gage has just declared that he is going to hunt down Zack Ryder and "carve his ass up!"

edited June 2021
    MDK!

hailtothekale on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Nick Gage has just declared that he is going to hunt down Zack Ryder and "carve his ass up!"

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2021

I've heard of Eugene? But TWOGENE? Kefin & Billy return to their Raw Roulade and look at the night Eugene was GM and everyone was doing a little thing called musical chairs!

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited June 2021

Mark must have gotten distracted by the Atlantic City Beer Fest also going on in town. Anyway...

This was In. Fucking. Credible.

hailtothekale on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Watching The Life of: Edith Surreal on IWTV, and I'll be honest

I came for the wrestling, but I'm staying for all the talk about Fonts. As someone who also spends too much time thinking about Fonts, this is the content I need more of in wrestling.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    I just got around to watching the Warrior episode of Dark Side of the Ring, and for all of Dana Warrior's critique of that episode it seemed like it was actually much nicer to Warrior than I would have thought? Like they don't hide the fact that he said some very shitty, racist, homophobic things and insulted people like Bobby Heenan who was dying of cancer, but it also did touch on his success and his insecurities that fueled alot of his shitty behavior. It doesn't dismiss anything, but it also feels very humanizing for him? Like by the end, I still don't like him, he's still a piece of shit, but I feel like I understood him better for why he was so shitty as a person.

I guess from some of the pro-Warrior people I had heard I was expecting a hit job, but its not a hit job to address the shitty things someone actually did.

I'm not sure if I have it in me to watch the Jake the Snake one today.

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    The Grizzly Smith episode is an ordeal, to be sure. What an absolute monster.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    I just got around to watching the Warrior episode of Dark Side of the Ring, and for all of Dana Warrior's critique of that episode it seemed like it was actually much nicer to Warrior than I would have thought? Like they don't hide the fact that he said some very shitty, racist, homophobic things and insulted people like Bobby Heenan who was dying of cancer, but it also did touch on his success and his insecurities that fueled alot of his shitty behavior. It doesn't dismiss anything, but it also feels very humanizing for him? Like by the end, I still don't like him, he's still a piece of shit, but I feel like I understood him better for why he was so shitty as a person.

I guess from some of the pro-Warrior people I had heard I was expecting a hit job, but its not a hit job to address the shitty things someone actually did.

I wonder if her problem was all the air time his first wife got, especially vs the A&E bio. But yeah I thought it was pretty fair too.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

I wonder if her problem was all the air time his first wife got, especially vs the A&E bio. But yeah I thought it was pretty fair too.

I feel like if she had given them interview time, she would be in the doc. They don’t say anything negative about her at all.

Also, watched the Grizzly Smith doc. Holy shit, fuck him.

I have not watched the Grizzly Smith one and haven't found it online yet. I also know nothing about him so this will all be new terrible info for me.

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
    smdh that's the second time this weekend those druids have fucked things up

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Kylie Rae signed with NWA

I have not watched the Grizzly Smith one and haven't found it online yet. I also know nothing about him so this will all be new terrible info for me.

I know enough about Grizzly Smith to know there is no way I want to learn more about him. I appreciate and applaud Jake and Robin's bravery in being so open about the hell they lived through, and I hope it helps both them and other victims. But I'm going to skip that episode.

xderwsaxganu.png
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    The absolute mad lads did it.

I've followed Cardona on Twitter for years and every so often I am wracked with doubt over whether he is really good at Wrestling Twittter or if he is a bit of a thin skinned entitled prick.

I think the EC3 and now this Nick Gage build proves conclusively that Cardona is really, really good at Twitter.

I have been worked.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

Oh, and if nothing else we get a high quality general reaction GIF

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Your new IWGP heaby q champion
    The dragon Shingo Takagi!

bloodyroarxx on
    CyberFight Festival was an obnoxiously long but still fantastic show.

Honestly it exceeded my exceptions considering how safe the card looked going in, the goal of course being to showcase NOAH, DDT, and TJPW (and Ganpro) as their own unique entities all under the CyberFight banner. The TJPW and DDT tag matches definitely hit their mark, featuring popular roster members, playing on existing feuds, and planting seeds for future matches. Gave a good taste of what someone watching for the first time could expect from those brands. I'm not super familiar with NOAH so I can't with confidence say the same about their juniors showcase match, but it was a lot of high-speed fun.

There were several NOAH vs DDT matches, the two biggest being a 6 vs 6 DDT team assembled by Sanshiro Takagi vs Kenoh's Kongo unit, and NOAH's Kaito Kiyomiya & Yoshiki Inamura vs DDT's Konosuke Takeshita & Yuki Ueno.

The 6 vs 6 (well, technically 7 vs 6 since Yoshihiko was a surprise addition to the DDT team) was delightful chaos and is worth watching if just for Kenoh's reaction to having to deal with this nonsense.

Kenoh is so good in this role, he's got that same palpable "I don't want to deal with your bullshit but am so determined to kick your ass that I will" hateful energy that Minoru Suzuki used to bring. This tag also very obviously set up a future Kenoh vs Yukio Sakaguchi fight which, mhmm yes please!

The final tag match was the inter-brand match I was most looking forward to on the show, and it was everything I'd hoped for. These four have been talking trash for months, it was lovely to see them finally let loose.

Sorry, Kaito! At least you're still pretty.

And then there are the three singles title matches that closed out the show.

The Princess of Princess title match was excellent and my favorite of the three. Big Match Miyu vs Big Match Yuka was never going to disappoint, but they beat the absolute shit out of each other. Seriously, anyone who's been craving more Yuka Sakazaki since her last AEW appearances should watch this.

Jun Akiyama vs HARASHIMA for the KO-D Openweight Championship was also great, but the story surrounding the match is what really got to me. HARASHIMA has spent years being the protector of DDT, no matter who comes and goes he'll still be there to take out the invaders and carry the company. But it's gotten to the point where he just can't anymore. It's heartbreaking.

And to close out the show was the GHC Heavyweight Championship match between Mutoh and Marufuji, during which Mutoh actually did the damn moonsault for the first time in three years! Considering the wrestlers, championship, and it being the only title to change hands, there's really nothing else that could have gone on after this.

Overall, I loved the entire show and highly recommend it. There is also an English commentary option available, but I didn't watch that feed so can't comment on that.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    That was definitely one of the better spots that included a guy holding himself upside down in the corner of the ring. I gotta admit, I can never really into anything like that (including the double stomps some guys do). It just stretches my contrived meter a little too far most of the time.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    zack ryder calling himself an ecw original is the actual best thing he has ever done in his career

he better fight nick gage in those one-legged pants

7656367.jpg
    burbo wrote: »
    That was definitely one of the better spots that included a guy holding himself upside down in the corner of the ring. I gotta admit, I can never really into anything like that (including the double stomps some guys do). It just stretches my contrived meter a little too far most of the time.

I just love how the ref goes to check on Kaito and you can see Kaito's face change as he sees Take fly in over the ref's head for that coast to coast.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Explosion Deathmatch featuring Onita at Peter Pan in Kawasaki. Yeah, that makes sense.

To have been in the crowd, the crowd that was expecting Jon Moxley, was seeing Jon Moxley before only to find it was Zack Ryder.

Mmmmmm, I could have fed off of that for days.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Matt Justice defend the Blackcraft championship against fellow Blackcraft Wrestling star Penta El 0M!

This discussion has been closed.