As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah no I'm like, 99% positive even under extreme strain at Olympic levels the first thing to go would be your abdominal wall resulting in a hernia.

The eardrums or canals wouldn't ever be damaged.

Maybe if you were lifting a couple hundred meters underwater?

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    You can spike your blood pressure pretty high if you're doing a really really heavy deadlift or something, but there's no way you're getting close to that as a rookie. I don't think I've ever heard of ear damage from it, though I have caused a brief ringing in my ears and seen stars that way before (rarely), I think it was more a massive head rush than anything ear specific. Have seen people blow blood vessels in their eyes before which looks gnarly but I think is usually pretty minor (and again, rare and only when very heavy). If you're Eddie Hall and deadlifting 500kg maybe you'll start bleeding out of your nose, ears, and tear ducts... but very few of us are Eddie Hall.

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    You'll have a hemorrhagic stroke before your ear drums burst.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Today is the first day of the reinstated indoor mask rule in WA and the gym is way emptier than normal. Masks forever please, or just get me my own massive private gym.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    no mandate here but stores are putting signs back up to.. moderate success.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Have had ringing ears, blurred vision, bloody nose, burst capillaries and blacked out while lifting before.

It’s just a combination of peaked blood pressure and valsalva at the appropriate time pushing through a heavy lift. There are plenty of warnings prior to any of the above happening if that’s a concern.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I've had all of those while pooping.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Probably time to stop eating cement mix by the spoonful then

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    PT sucks when you are tired and hungry

• Options
    Probably time to stop eating cement mix by the spoonful then

This is America. I'll do what I want.

• Options
    Eating Cement Mix is Killing Your Gains... Or IS IT?

In this 10 part youtube series I will b

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I've heard of ways to get rock hard abs but this is ridiculous

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I keep telling myself I need to get back it on regards to some sort of fitness routine

I haven't actually done that yet, but I am walking a 5k this coming weekend

How do people find time to do things

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You stop doing whatever shit is not fitness and you do some fitness instead.

This isn't meant to be trite, it's just true. I have a normal array of adult responsibilities (full time job, commute, wife, two kids, etc) and so most of the time that means I walk on the treadmill between 9 and 10 at night. I've pretty exercised that late on weeknights for the past decade, because of the aforementioned family, and it sucks a little but you use the time you have to accomplish the goals you have and sometimes it really does come down to how bad you want it.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I cannot stop doing other things, I guess I need to figure out how to restructure my schedule a bit

Or sleep better, so I can get up earlier and workout before work

I'm in bed for like nine hours and probably sleeping for seven or eight, and that's not because of :winky:

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I wasn't specific about this but I am very much a person who sacrifices sleep and I understand not everyone can do that. I tend to be in bed for ~7 hours on weeknights with as much sleep as I can manage in there, YMMV. I don't mean to be flip in a "Just Do It" kinda way but it really is what it comes down to sometimes and I struggle to figure out how to say it in a more nuanced way.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    My biggest gains always come from dropping phone/internet/screen time in general. And coincide with my depression being a bit better....so anyway, here I am...makin post.

• Options
    Man I can't sleep for like 2 hours after working out.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'll preface it by saying that I'm VERY lucky to work a 7 to 4 job from home. I rarely need to work OT. I'm also single so don't have to worry about any he's schedule but my own

This was my social calendar last month, as I run a local meetup group.
    ev1lu7t9qnt3.jpg

Being able to do my social commitments and adult responsibilities def means that I have to make some sacrifices. I'll do my runs during lunch and then eat and work. Or I have days that I devote to just working out and relaxing afterwards, so I don't burn out.

It's a challenge but if you can find 30 min to work out daily, that's going to be a huge difference.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I’m another one of those single WFM people, so my experience isn’t going to be possible for everyone.
    • I run either first thing in the morning or take 90 minutes after work.
    • I eat at my desk while working, and I use my lunch break to take a 30 minute walk.
    • I get most of my grocery shopping done on my bike.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I have to get up at 3:45 AM/PM to get a workout in before work. This usually means I only get 7 hours of sleep plus or minus about 15 minutes.

It sucks! But luckily the way my schedule works I only have to really do it twice a week. Not counting the day off where I'm getting off that morning and then only clocking about 3 hours before I have to get back up.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I get up at 5am to workout (or study on rest days). It sucks but how else am I going to get these sweet gains?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    get on the juice

• Options
    Unfortunately you still have to work out to get gains from the juice :(

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Help I drank all this orange juice and my muscles didn’t get any bigger.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ladies and gentlemen and so on, is Solar's first 7B (V8) boulder problem outdoors going to go this evening? Let's find out!

• Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    Unfortunately you still have to work out to get gains from the juice :(

But don't worry, you can, in fact you can do a heavy work out twice a day every single day and wake up fresh as a daisy.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I feel very beat up from pt yesterday still. Uhhg.

I'm supposed to go tomorrow again but I don't really have the gas in my car. Blah.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Living dangerously, aka when you're at the gym and need to poop but you only have three stations left.

Weaver on
  • Options
    In non-gross posting, still holding firm at 215lbs.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Solar wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen and so on, is Solar's first 7B (V8) boulder problem outdoors going to go this evening? Let's find out!

We did sit start first crux move, traverse into second crux, and then the second crux to the top. Still need to do the second crux move to the top and then I'll start just trying from the bottom repeatedly.

Feels like it will go! Exciting times

Solar on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm within 10lbs of my pre-pandemic weight which is nice. My ultimate goal is 60lbs lower than that but baby steps.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Living dangerously, aka when you're at the gym and need to poop but you only have three stations left.

I posit that a person hasn't truly worked out until they let out a danger fart mid exertion.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm within 10lbs of my pre-pandemic weight which is nice. My ultimate goal is 60lbs lower than that but baby steps.

Not even baby steps! You literally can't get there without going through here! You are right on track. Kudos on the progress.

• Options
    My arms are just now starting to hurt a lot from today's weights, but hey, I found my drybag for kayaking next week!

• Options
    In exciting sport climbing news Stefano Ghisolfi repeated Bibliographie 9c... and proposed a downgrade to 9b+

Wonder how Alexander Megos (the first ascensionist who proposed 9c) feels about that!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I'm so over this Texas heat. I'm being careful when running in the 90s but even then I'm still feeling so drained after I finish.

• Options
    Also whoever said "one more pushup each day" thanks for getting me back on that grind. Just got a big ol counter on my phone that I get to increment by one each day I do pushups. Programming? Whats that? I just do pushups each day. It worked for the old legend of giving a young boy a calf that he had to carry, so by the time they were both grown he could carry a whole bull.

• Options
    Definitely doesn't work for lifting weights though so don't try that

• Options
    edited August 2021
    My goal today is to remember to focus on my traps a bit more.

Edit: I meant triceps.

Weaver on