As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fitness and Weight Management] Let's crush some 2022 goals!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    not sure how healthy they are but grapes are inherently snack size and keep decently well

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    What's a fruit that's easy to snack on that keeps good in the fridge?

Apples is what I would go with but those are hard to eat a lot of because of dental issues

Also gonna get some more 100 calorie packs of nuts.

I think maybe a strategy I am going to try is to eat more often rather than waiting until I'm really really hungry and overdoing it but that'll require more healthy stuff to put in the gaps between when I normally eat. Thus fruits and nuts and popcorn and probably some kinda veggie that's snackable? Frozen brussel sprouts air fry easy right?

I want to try and get under 400lbs before I really push hard at the gym. It'll just be much easier if I'm already eating better to be mobile there and have the energy to do stuff

Other than that stuff I'm going to mostly try eating what I normally would just smaller portions to avoid eating a days worth of calories in one meal. At least for now. Because all the stuff of trying to meal prep in advance and clean up after and think about healthy options is a lot of work if I do it all at once leading to me just not doing it at all. So I figure if I get to where I have more energy first I will have an easier time adding that stuff in gradually.

I'm already at 415 last time I weighed myself. So that's better than I was. Getting that first digit to be a 3 again is within reach.

I'm a big fan of strawberries, but keep em in the freezer, and set out two or three in the morning to thaw. I do the same with blueberries.

You're right on the money for having small, frequent meals. If you wait to eat until you're very hungry, you're far more likely to overeat.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love cutie mandarins. Perfect snack size, easy to peel and super tasty.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    This might not be the most snackable fruit, but I like getting one of those huge bags of frozen mixed berries to mix in my breakfast muesli, as long as I get it in the fridge to thaw overnight or more. It's got great fiber content too, and no added sugars. Way cheaper than buying fresh berries as well on a weight basis.

Definitely would be tough to just grab and snack on unless there's that little bit of thaw prep. I microwave for about a minute if they come straight from the freezer.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    not sure how healthy they are but grapes are inherently snack size and keep decently well

Freeze them when it gets hot. Frozen grapes are glorious things.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote: »
    This might not be the most snackable fruit, but I like getting one of those huge bags of frozen mixed berries to mix in my breakfast muesli, as long as I get it in the fridge to thaw overnight or more. It's got great fiber content too, and no added sugars. Way cheaper than buying fresh berries as well on a weight basis.

Definitely would be tough to just grab and snack on unless there's that little bit of thaw prep. I microwave for about a minute if they come straight from the freezer.

I love the frozen berries in my overnight oats.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    My daughter destroys grapes, strawberries, blueberries, black berries, bananas, peaches, mangos, watermelon, and raspberries.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Did you name her Gallagher?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Bananas are good as hell but they're shelf life leaves something to be desired especially with the humidity in here

• Options
    Bananas are good as hell but they're shelf life leaves something to be desired especially with the humidity in here

You can throw them in the fridge and while the outside will brown quickly, the inside will stay fresh for a lot longer.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    Did you name her Gallagher?

Shit, missed opportunity.

• Options
    I have been tracking my calories for a day and a half now and do far so good on panic attacks. I ate under 2000 or so yesterday too so that's also good. I'm on track to do the same today.

I also weighed myself and came in at 405 or so. Last time a doctor's scale said 417. So I'm on my way to getting under 400 already. I've mostly just been eating out less this month. Now I'm just trying to be mindful of my portions so I don't eat till it hurts

My worry though is I won't be able to keep it up especially if I can't get me l my ADHD meds next month anywhere.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Murph tomorrow... I'm gonna die, I know it

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nah, you may be reduced to a quivering husk that can only remain stationary and feel pain but you'll survive, and eventually be stronger for having had the experience.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Solar wrote: »
    Murph tomorrow... I'm gonna die, I know it

I survived mine yesterday, 54:40. Slower than the 51:00 I got last year, but I'll take it. Been too long since I trained in a weight vest so the pushups were more straining off bat than I was hoping.

It's a mental grind for sure, just gotta keep working away at it.

The soreness is now starting to set in

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Well I am at 2000 calories again today and am super bored and hungry right now at like an hour until bedtime.

Figures day two would get much more difficult

• Options
    I did it in 73 mins 48 seconds

For something that isn't my sport and given that I never run (like that's the most running I've done in over a year probably) I'm pleased with that. Funnily enough it wasn't the strict pullups that killed me, or the pressups, it was being gassed from the run at the start and never recovering fully

To improve my time I'd need to do kipping pullups and just develop some sort of cardiovascular fitness

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Ooph. Over 20° C and sunny here today, and I did my first long run in two weeks - I didn’t go more than 12k while on vacation, and that only once. I didn’t bring water, and I wasn’t really hydrated well enough before I left. And now I’m paying for it. My legs started cramping up around kilometre 14 in an 18k out and back. My legs are more stiff and pained now than they were after running 44k two weeks ago.

Running is so much better in the cold.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm doing workouts 5 days a week and am breaking even on my weight. My diet must be turbo fucked and/or my advanced age + long-standing weight are also holding me back.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I've asked this question a few times, but I am bad at starting things AND bad at searching...

What are some quick session exercises to build some arm muscles/mass? I'm not expecting quick results, I'm talking quickly hair hour sessions a few times a week

I have skinny arms and I am self conscious about them

I can do pushups, I have some 10 pound dumbbells

Someone somewhere mentioned filling gallon jugs as improvised dumbbells too

There are so many channels and influencers and accounts, I don't know what's trustworthy and what is not

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I've asked this question a few times, but I am bad at starting things AND bad at searching...

What are some quick session exercises to build some arm muscles/mass? I'm not expecting quick results, I'm talking quickly hair hour sessions a few times a week

There are so many channels and influencers and accounts, I don't know what's trustworthy and what is not

Genuinely, the best thing you can do is just go to a trainer or ideally a physiotherapist and ask for exercises

Especially if you have any training limitations or injuries, it can really help to have someone guide you through form to prevent injuries in the first place

Like, there's a lot of fun compound lifts and presses and such that could do a lot, but the internet advice is probably not as helpful as paying for that one hour lesson could be by someone who can see how your body moves

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Anyway, second dragon boat training session today! I joined my work team as a fun way to network and continue my Year of Weird Sports. Last week I was struggling and a little down on myself for not being as strong or having as much cardio as I anticipated but uh

Turns out

Paddles have different weights

And if you lean a little more out of the 20 person boat, you likely won't fall into the water while getting better leverage

.......so this week was hilariously easier with proper form and lighter equipment, I was recovering 15-20 seconds after a drill, and getting significantly more power during our starts that we began learning today too

My year and a half of strength training and cardio actually coming in handy! Delightful.

Cello on
    Steam
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I'm trying to get back to tracking macros and upping my calories just a bit. I've been real bad about it during the lead up to and for this last month after my move and honestly I just don't feel good lately. I think a lot of that is to do with my nutrition more than anything.

So, back to trying to make big, protein and fiber dense breakfasts, multivitamins, more fruit and veg and consistent meal prepping, cut out the snacking at work, need to roll back my alcohol intake and try to get a minimum 2 liters of water in me a day. More if I can. Also gonna start trying to only get my caffeine from black coffee (and pre workout) and largely cut out energy drinks. I only ever got the sugar free stuff but I think all the other junk in there might be killing me.

See if I can't turn this rapidly deteriorating ship around.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Pushups, planks, dips, squats (legs matter too), pullups if you have a bar. Start with just body weight.
    Do those every day (or every other day) and things will start to happen. If it's about looks more than functional strength, low weight/high reps develops looks faster than high weight/low reps.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Cello and @schuss

I currently have about 30 minutes of free time a day, maybe an hour, so I'm going to try some things at home first

I did have a push up routine going, for I think four months, I stopped when I went on vacation or something and never started again, then I did some type of more reasonable version of the one punch man workout for a few months, I don't remember why I stopped that one, it wasn't injury or anything, I think it might have been catching COVID the first time

Anyway, gotta do something, thank you both

• Options
    Push ups are good and variations are your friend. So like, instead of 6 sets of regular ones, do ones with wide hands, narrow hands etc. Also if you can do say, six sets of 10 then put some books in a rucksack and add resistance rather than just adding more reps.

You can get a lot out of bodyweight stuff but it does just take consistency, time and eating plenty of protein, as always.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm doing workouts 5 days a week and am breaking even on my weight. My diet must be turbo fucked and/or my advanced age + long-standing weight are also holding me back.

Workouts really don’t burn much in the way of calories - there’s a reason people say “you can’t outrun your fork.” A medium length run for me might burn 800 to 900 calories, which doesn’t even cover a Big Mac and fries. And that’s running, one of the most efficient calorie burning exercises you can do, second only to swimming. Which is NOT saying don’t work out - but work out for health, not weight loss.

On a positive note: the current state of research basically says that age doesn’t actually play much of a role in calorie burning until we become elderly, and possibly not even then. A twenty-five year old and a sixty year old at a given weight and given body fat percentage will burn about as many calories. Most of why people burn fewer calories as they age is because they tend to lose muscle, and while it can be harder to build muscle as we age, it’s still within our power.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Workouts really don’t burn much in the way of calories - there’s a reason people say “you can’t outrun your fork.” A medium length run for me might burn 800 to 900 calories, which doesn’t even cover a Big Mac and fries. And that’s running, one of the most efficient calorie burning exercises you can do, second only to swimming. Which is NOT saying don’t work out - but work out for health, not weight loss.

On a positive note: the current state of research basically says that age doesn’t actually play much of a role in calorie burning until we become elderly, and possibly not even then. A twenty-five year old and a sixty year old at a given weight and given body fat percentage will burn about as many calories. Most of why people burn fewer calories as they age is because they tend to lose muscle, and while it can be harder to build muscle as we age, it’s still within our power.

There's actually evidence that yes, workouts to lead to calorie burn, including rest periods, but you may compensate for that burn during the rest of your day

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/research-spotlight-expenditure-resistance/

It's still like 20 percent exercise to 80 percent nutrition to get any kind of body recomposition though

Steam
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

There's actually evidence that yes, workouts to lead to calorie burn, including rest periods, but you may compensate for that burn during the rest of your day

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/research-spotlight-expenditure-resistance/

It's still like 20 percent exercise to 80 percent nutrition to get any kind of body recomposition though

Yep, and I'll say that the times I've had meaningful weight loss were the following situations:
    1. Largely quitting beer.
    2. Actively controlling portions and honestly being hungry more of the time

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    you are what you eat

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Strength training is absolutely how you burn calories though? Your body continues to use resources and energy to repair muscles for up to 48 hours post workout while anabolic.

Running might burn the most calories up front but if your goal is purely fat loss you can absolutely achieve those goals without ever going for so much as a jog and using only weights. Diet is extremely (read: most) important though, yes, regardless of whether you're pursuing a cardio or strength based workout regime.

This is good for me, because I am absolutely the worst runner in history and my body immediately starts to break down if I try and run, starting at my knee and then creeping up into my hips.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    you are what you eat

So what you're saying is that I need to eat thin people

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    you are what you eat

So what you're saying is that I need to eat thin people

yes but still at a caloric deficit

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Strength training is absolutely how you burn calories though? Your body continues to use resources and energy to repair muscles for up to 48 hours post workout while anabolic.

Running might burn the most calories up front but if your goal is purely fat loss you can absolutely achieve those goals without ever going for so much as a jog and using only weights. Diet is extremely (read: most) important though, yes, regardless of whether you're pursuing a cardio or strength based workout regime.

This is good for me, because I am absolutely the worst runner in history and my body immediately starts to break down if I try and run, starting at my knee and then creeping up into my hips.

I like to run after things but running for the sake of it is something I haven't ever been able to enjoy aside from like, doing the Zombies Run 5k app because there was lore

Steam
  • Options
    passed my Candidate Physical Assessment Test for the fire department today. Hurray for functional fitness!

Steam ID
  • Options
    passed my Candidate Physical Assessment Test for the fire department today. Hurray for functional fitness!

Congrats! How was the test structured?

• Options
    edited June 2023

Congrats! How was the test structured?

the CPAT is a standardized test used across North America. It's basically structured like a mini challenge course that simulates typical firefighter activities

While wearing a 50lb weight vest, you have 10:20 to complete:
    - 3 minutes stair climb @ 60 step/min with an additional 25lbs (75 lbs total)
    - Hose drag and pull
    - An equipment carry (basically farmers carry with 2 tools)
    - ladder raise and extension
    - simulated forced entry with a sledge hammer
    - crawling through a blacked out enclosed tunnel with obstacles
    - a dummy drag (165 lbs)
    - simulated ceiling breach and pull

can see someone going through it in this vid (with a very fast time):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6ClY7Gsmk

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Congrats!!!

(I read it as "Horse drag and pull," and now confess to being slightly disappointed.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I didn’t realize there was a standardized test, that’s awesome!

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    that looks pretty fucking difficult so good job on kicking its ass!