As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend on! Mechanical gaming keyboard!

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
My 18-macro-key Corsair mechanical gaming keyboard bit the dust in a particularly dramatic way, and exact replacements seem to be nonexistent.

Recommend on! I want a mechanical gaming keyboard with quietish keys and a row of macro keys. I had cherry MX brown, and 18 macro keys, but I'm willing to compromise. Cherry MX brown or silent red is fine. Macro keys, at least one column, is a must-have. More is better.

Thank you in advance. ❤ mwuah to this communty ❤

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    RIP

z93hhjxc0mxt.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If you want it all-in-one you're probably screwed since it's all about the separate macro keypads these days. Keyboards seem to feature a maximum of 9 (normally 5) integrated macro keys.

P.S: Note that if you like quiet mechanical switches then Romer G switches are actually more silent than MX browns.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If you want it all-in-one you're probably screwed since it's all about the separate macro keypads these days. Keyboards seem to feature a maximum of 9 (normally 5) integrated macro keys.

Not a problem. Philosophically, I prefer products that know their niche and lean in over allinones that try to do everything,
    P.S: Note that if you like quiet mechanical switches then Romer G switches are actually more silent than MX browns.

This is good information!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    And after some research....of course my Romer G info was out of date as well. Now it's not just "Romer G", but it's Romer G Tactile/Linear/Clicky where Tactile is equivalent to brown (about the same noise level). Linear is like Red, but quieter and Clicky is...clicky.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I had a corsair k70? With cherry reds that I put some o rings on to quiet it down further. Works great, lacks the macros you want though. I cheaped out and just got one that only lit up in blue, but it's been solid and is quiet enough even in an office setting. The only reason I don't have it at home now is because it got replaces with a little varmillo I like more.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I'm using a K95 RGB Platinum. I've had it for about a year, works like a charm. It's Cherry MX Brown and there's a column of six macro keys down the left side.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You could call some of us crazy, but the Mechanical Keyboard Thread is still alive and kicking!

We won't kill your wallet like those Audiophile nerds, we'll let you do it yourself

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/153955/mechanical-keyboards-clickity-clack-code-keyboards-back-in-stock-and-gone#latest

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You could call some of us crazy, but the Mechanical Keyboard Thread is still alive and kicking!

We won't kill your wallet like those Audiophile nerds, we'll let you do it yourself

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/153955/mechanical-keyboards-clickity-clack-code-keyboards-back-in-stock-and-gone#latest

Ah, thank you, Mugsley. I'll check out the thread.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if you like corsair stuff they still have boards with a macro column on the left, though all their current offerings seem to be limited to six macro keys (dunno how they work with modifiers)

a few manufacturers also make dedicated macro keypads (basically tenkey pads, but programmable) which might also be an option depending on what you use it for

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I doesn't have macro keys, but I was really happy with my Roccat Vulcan. I had the 100 model, looks like there are a bunch of new models since that one was released. I'm a big fan of the volume control knob directly on the keyboard, super handy while gaming.

I've since switched to a Keychron K2 with Gateron Brown switches - I can't say I have much to compare with, but the Vulcan was quieter than the K2.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with my Ducky keyboard. I wish I'd have purchased one without the number pad because it turns out I'd rather just buy a separate numpad so I can place it more conveniently.

• Options
    Thanks for the recommendations, folks. I decided to give up on integrated macro keys, because sometime later I could get a Max Falcon 8=key or 20-key macro board.

It came down to Ducky vs Steelseries, and I ended up buying a Steelseries Apex 7 full-size because I could get it right away.